Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“We stand ready to provide any additional assistance, including as our capacity as the host nation for Nato’s multinational submarine rescue capacity.”

RSBM

I'm not sure I understand this statement from 10 Downing Street. Why are they waiting to be asked to provide help in the search, especially since they are the host nation of NATO's submarine rescue capacity. There are at least three reported British citizens on the missing sub, and they need to be asked to offer assistance?

Hamish Harding - British citizen
Shahzada Dawood - British citizen
Sulaiman Dawood - British citizen

I don't get it. If the UK has NATO-approved submarine rescue capacity, what are they waiting for?

edited spelling

Last edited:
OceanGate Expeditions, which operates the missing Titanic tourist submersible, waited eight hours before reporting that the vessel had disappeared.

The private company, which provides tours of the Titanic wreckage site for a stunning $250,000 a person, did not report that the Titan submersible was missing until 5:40 p.m. Sunday, the Daily Mail reported.

An adviser for OceanGate Expeditions blamed government bureaucracy for allegedly slowing down the rescue effort for the missing Titanic tourist submarine— but authorities claimed the company waited eight hours before reporting the disappearance.

Attorney David Concannon, who pulled out of Sunday’s dive at the last minute, told NewsNation that the equipment and crew needed to rescue the five missing passengers cannot be deployed until the Coast Guard authorizes the mission.

“They are mobilized. They’re sitting on the tarmac, ready to go,” Concannon said of the crew who surveyed the Titanic last year. “This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

“When I communicate with the US government, I get ‘out of office’ replies, not from everyone, but from key people that have a signoff on this,” he added. “That’s unacceptable. I don’t want to discourage the government officials that are helping because they’re doing their jobs, but we need to do it quicker.”

bbm That makes sense. That guy (Concannon) is also a little bit well-known within my nerdy FB Titanic communities.
The post I saw was I believe on the BBC site, and someone from the Coast Guard had said they recieved the call two hours after last contact. If there's a lot of administration and paper work needing to be done I can understand it took them 4+ hours to deal with all of that.
Authority power should be scrapped while people's lives are in severe danger. imo.

Into the Deep Mandatory Captions and Credit: Memories of leisure and luxury strew the Titanic site, such as the wroughtiron sides of deck benches, their wooden seats long rotted away. (Emory Kristof/National Geographic) Picture from: ?Into the Deep? by Robert Ballard Picture supplied by: Day, Ann TV still

Among those who have not welcomed visits to the site or the removal of artefacts is Warren Ervine from Nova Scotia in Canada, whose uncle died on the Titanic. He was asked about controversial plans to remove the Marconi telegraph machine from the wreckage in 2020.

“Leave it alone,” he told the Daily Express, “I don’t like people fooling around with a grave site.”

The retired geological engineer is the nephew of Belfast-born Albert Ervine, 18, the youngest member of the Titanic engineering team, who helped to keep the lifeboats’ electric winches working and the sinking ship’s lights on until the last possible moment.

His opinion was shared by Briton Dr John Martin, the great nephew of the Titanic’s assistant surgeon Dr John Edward Simpson. Dr Martin told the Express: “How will it advance scientific knowledge one iota? It is the radio messages and not the equipment that are important.

“We have those messages.

“The profiteers will leave behind a scar and an invitation for further similar raiders who will exploit the precedent.”

Last edited:
Watching on CNN.

This sounds infinitely worse than searching for a needle in a haystack.

Given that the needle has five humans in it, and the haystack is the ocean, and they have to do a surface search as well as a sub-water search. And the needle could be moving around, and the ocean does not stay still as would a haystack.

I will never know what it’s like to be a billionaire, but I like my creature comforts and amenities. I grasp that these particular people are adventurers. Maybe after you have so much money you go for the adrenaline and activities that practically no one else on earth could do.

Oh, as I’m typing a newscaster is referencing the needle in the haystack, too.

Those poor people, if they aren't found.

They probably thought if it was at all dangerous that no companies would be offering these trips.

Next thing it might be people stranded on the moon.

Anything to make money :(
True, to the last sentence. I’m thinking the company needs the money to fund more innovation.

But the Hamish guy said he is well aware of the risks involved in the crazy exploration he does, and I won’t fault anyone for taking big risks knowingly. It’s not for me but if it wasn’t for risk takers many things would never have happened- like circumnavigation, space travel, etc.

Yes, and it's not just about how much O2 is left. There will be too much CO2 building up and their bodies will not be able to deal with that. Plus, if there is a system failure, they will not be able to stay warm.
Generally, subs carry carbon dioxide scrubbers to keep the air breathable. I would assume the Titan has them, since they're pretty fundamental for any kind of living arrangement in an airtight space. They function based on a chemical reaction so no power is required and the technology has been around for decades. You may recall the famous scene from Apollo 13 about jury-rigging the CO2 scrubbers.

I'm sorry I haven't read this entire forum and just heard about this awful situation. Has it been theorized that this sub could be inside the remains of the Titanic and have become trapped?
I would imagine that the sub would have some sort of transponder like a plane with mission recordings and a locator...has this been discussed/confirmed?

Last edited:

Here's a timeline of the missing sub's whereabouts​

From CNN's Gabe Cohen

The Titan submersible went missing while it was on a tour of the wreckage of the Titanic. Here is the timeline that was set for the vessel, according to Miawpukek Maritime Horizon Services, which co-owns the Polar Prince, the support ship that helped launch Titan.

All times are in Atlantic Daylight Time, which is 1.5 hours ahead of Eastern Time:

Friday, June 16: The Polar Prince departs St. John’s, Newfoundland

Saturday, June 17: The Polar Prince arrives at the dive site

Sunday, June 18:
  • 9 a.m.: The dive operations starts.
  • 11:47 a.m.: The last communication between the vessel and surface staff of OceanGate, the group that was conducting the expedition, is recorded.
  • 6:10 p.m.: This is the time the vessel was originally scheduled to resurface.
  • 6:35 pm.: Authorities are notified and a response operation is initiated.

According to this timeline from CNN, OceanGate Expeditions notified authorities that the vessel was missing 25 minutes after it was originally scheduled to resurface.

Watching on CNN.

This sounds infinitely worse than searching for a needle in a haystack.

Given that the needle has five humans in it, and the haystack is the ocean, and they have to do a surface search as well as a sub-water search. And the needle could be moving around, and the ocean does not stay still as would a haystack.

I will never know what it’s like to be a billionaire, but I like my creature comforts and amenities. I grasp that these particular people are adventurers. Maybe after you have so much money you go for the adrenaline and activities that practically no one else on earth could do.

Oh, as I’m typing a newscaster is referencing the needle in the haystack, too.

I don't think it's that they are rich, it's the surrounding story and circumstances, especially considering the fact the boss of the company said everyone in this machine would be safe regardless of interference (or whatever he said, article posted previously).
If a migrant ship had gone missing over such a trauma-filled place with such a history that most people knew about it would have been headline news too. It's the "remembered" loss, but especially the irony that someone actually went and did the same human mistake again.

Time is very short - oceans expert​

"Time is very short and the next few days will be critical," an oceans expert has told BBC News.

Dr Simon Boxall, University of Southampton lecturer in oceanography, said it was a "real challenge" to identify where the missing submersible is and to get it back.

Describing what the conditions are likely to be in the submersible if it is on the sea floor, he said: "It's going to be hot, it's going to be cramped.

"There is no escape pod. If you came out the water at those depths you'd be crushed, so they're totally reliant on the submersible being found."

He believes its unlikely the Titan is on the surface, and that it may have become snared on part of the wreckage.

"It's an enormous challenge, one we've never had to tackle before," he added. "There have been tragic cases of military submarines sitting on the seafloor where they have a lot more resource and lot more oxygen available, but in this case time is very short and the next few days will be critical."

And it’s hot? My absolute nightmare.

The CEO of OceanGate Expeditions, Stockton Rush, is on board the missing submersible that vanished during a mission to explore the wreckage of the Titanic, the company said Tuesday.

There's just 41 hours of oxygen supply left on the missing vessel, which is carrying five people, a U.S. Coast Guard official said Tuesday as the search for the Titan submersible continues.

The submersible is part of an OceanGate Expeditions tour that offers passengers a once-in-a-lifetime experience to explore the Titanic wreckage. It went missing Sunday after losing contact with the research vessel Polar Prince...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny