Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, probably stress cracks. I've never had a sub tested but I've contracted many, many NDT done on chemical plant tanks and pipe lines before commissioning into service.
considering the stress placed on this vessel, you would think that it would need NDT periodically to ensure that it was not breaking down- pressure and ocean exposure with every trip.... not to mention stress on the hatch, bolts, does it have welds?

I didn’t even think about the freezing temps until this morning.

With temperatures on the ocean floor near-freezing and the vessel’s 96 hour oxygen supply running down, occupants are at increasing risk of hyperthermia or suffocation
“Hyperthermia“? Or hypothermia?

Do we know how many hours of air is left now?

36m ago
The Titan crew were down to 40 hours of breathable air, the US Coast Guard said eight hours ago. Breathable air supply is now closer to 30 hours.

QUESTION ONLY. UNCONFIRMED. Can anyone confirm reports of a US military plane circling one area for hours and what that may mean? IMO.

Anyone watching the flight radar? (And that could be them flying a search grid. I’m not pulling an alarm, just asking.)

I know the airplanes are searching:

“The Coast Guard has sent two C-130 Hercules aircraft to search for the submersible on the surface of the water, and has been joined by a Canadian C-130, and a P8 aircraft equipped with underwater sonar capability. Sonar buoys are also being deployed in the area.”

I heard this just now on Bloomberg news, so since I cannot supply a link to something I heard on TV, let's call it MOO. I did a quick Goog for a link since I'm in the middle of making dinner but didn't find anything so here is what I heard (that's MOO) ;)

They said when talking to the pilot (?) I believe it was, perhaps years ago, that what would happen would be "they'd get very cold, then fall asleep, and that would be the end of it."

If things don't end up with them being found alive at least knowing they didn't suffer makes me feel better. I'm still hoping and praying there's a happy ending to this.

Last edited:
considering the stress placed on this vessel, you would think that it would need NDT periodically to ensure that it was not breaking down- pressure and ocean exposure with every trip.... not to mention stress on the hatch, bolts, does it have welds?

This image shows construction of the tubular carbon fibre hull section. It's not big sheets of carbon fibre as I would have expected, it's a fairly narrow carbon fibre "tape" rolled around the tubular form multiple times

As strong as carbon fibre is, IMO all those strands of "tape" would have a huge risk of delamination under repeated stress.

About 3 years ago I went to a lecture given by a man who had been down. He was just an average Joe, but he won a trip in some sort of competition. No way could he have ever afforded it himself. He really thought he was the luckiest guy in the world! Perhaps he was.

From your post:

“During the 2.5 hour decent through the water column, you will traverse the least explored habitat on the planet. During this phase of the dive, crew members will be on the lookout for bioluminescent creatures, will help the pilot monitor the navigation system to vector Titan toward the wreck, and monitor the sonar system for the first reflections of the wreck. Finally, the wreck will come into view through the acrylic viewport and the exterior cameras.”

The passengers are called crew members. My fear is that one of the inexperienced passengers may have had the controls as they approached the Titanic. There are strong currents at that depth that made another vessel crash into the Titanic’s enormous propeller and get caught until they figured out how to get themselves free. I can see that happening with this voyage, imo.

I would hope that only the actual pilot handled the controls rather than the paying passengers. This whole endeavor seems pretty suspect, but I hope they had more sense that that. In any case the reports are that contact was lost well before they made it to the Titanic so I think whatever happened it's probably not because the sub interacted with the wreck.

We also know that there isn't actually a real navigation system, just the texts they get from the control ship. I suspect the line about "help[ing] the pilot monitor the navigation system" is probably just that the passenger reads off the texts so the pilot can maneuver the craft.

• A remotely operated vehicle with a camera on board has been exploring the last known location of the sub
  • The US military has deployed planes, equipment and subject matter experts to support search and rescue operations
  • A French research vessel has also joined the search
since the submersible does not really have power, do they have a clue how far away from the Titanic it could have drifted since it lost contact? Should be a finite area, IMO but I read somewhere that they have already searched an area the size of CT....(no idea if that is accurate)

"Hope of finding the Titan five - the crew on board a missing sub on an expedition to the Titanic shipwreck - have grown after rescue groups reported 'likely signs of life' and 'banging sounds.'

A Canadian Aircraft, part of the enormous search mission looking for the missing Titanic tourists, heard 'banging' at 30-minute intervals in the area the submarine disappeared.

The banging was noted in emails exchanged with the US Department of Homeland Security and seen by Rolling Stone.

Richard Garriot de Cayeux, President of The Explorers Club, confirmed in a Tuesday night social media post that 'there is cause for hope."

From your post:

“During the 2.5 hour decent through the water column, you will traverse the least explored habitat on the planet. During this phase of the dive, crew members will be on the lookout for bioluminescent creatures, will help the pilot monitor the navigation system to vector Titan toward the wreck, and monitor the sonar system for the first reflections of the wreck. Finally, the wreck will come into view through the acrylic viewport and the exterior cameras.”

The passengers are called crew members. My fear is that one of the inexperienced passengers may have had the controls as they approached the Titanic. There are strong currents at that depth that made another vessel crash into the Titanic’s enormous propeller and get caught until they figured out how to get themselves free. I can see that happening with this voyage, imo.
FWIW, the bioluminescent angler fish are only about 1 mile down how deep can angler fish go? - Google Search

so there would not be much to see for the other 1.5 miles....

Last edited:
QUESTION ONLY. UNCONFIRMED. Can anyone confirm reports of a US military plane circling one area for hours and what that may mean? IMO.

Anyone watching the flight radar? (And that could be them flying a search grid. I’m not pulling an alarm, just asking.)

I know the airplanes are searching:

“The Coast Guard has sent two C-130 Hercules aircraft to search for the submersible on the surface of the water, and has been joined by a Canadian C-130, and a P8 aircraft equipped with underwater sonar capability. Sonar buoys are also being deployed in the area.”

If they're circling over the same location, they are maintaining a particular set of coordinates because they located something of interest. As they run lower on fuel, other aircraft will take their place, unless there's midair refueling.

Last edited:
I would hope that only the actual pilot handled the controls rather than the paying passengers. This whole endeavor seems pretty suspect, but I hope they had more sense that that. In any case the reports are that contact was lost well before they made it to the Titanic so I think whatever happened it's probably not because the sub interacted with the wreck.

We also know that there isn't actually a real navigation system, just the texts they get from the control ship. I suspect the line about "help[ing] the pilot monitor the navigation system" is probably just that the passenger reads off the texts so the pilot can maneuver the craft.

The Twitter thread from Benjamin Goggin also noted an inertial navigation system, but I'm not sure how that interfaces with the pilot ship.

Last edited:

"Hope of finding the Titan five - the crew on board a missing sub on an expedition to the Titanic shipwreck - have grown after rescue groups reported 'likely signs of life' and 'banging sounds.'

A Canadian Aircraft, part of the enormous search mission looking for the missing Titanic tourists, heard 'banging' at 30-minute intervals in the area the submarine disappeared.

The banging was noted in emails exchanged with the US Department of Homeland Security and seen by Rolling Stone.

Richard Garriot de Cayeux, President of The Explorers Club, confirmed in a Tuesday night social media post that 'there is cause for hope."
are there moving parts on the vessel that would make a sound? presumably the occupants would be conserving oxygen and not exerting themselves?

This image shows construction of the tubular carbon fibre hull section. It's not big sheets of carbon fibre as I would have expected, it's a fairly narrow carbon fibre "tape" rolled around the tubular form multiple times

As strong as carbon fibre is, IMO all those strands of "tape" would have a huge risk of delamination under repeated stress.

Carbon fiber, both tape and bars, has been used successfully for reinforcing structures on land, but I tend to agree that repeated stress, especially in an application of this kind, would be risky.

I think if people in a craft stranded 2 miles under water wanted to be found (given that their system of communication had failed), banging at intervals would be way smarter than sitting and hoping that someone, eventually, would find a tiny craft in such a big ocean.

At least it gives the searchers hope and a focus. No word on whether there was more banging today.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member