Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Hope of finding the Titan five - the crew on board a missing sub on an expedition to the Titanic shipwreck - have grown after rescue groups reported 'likely signs of life' and 'banging sounds.'

A Canadian Aircraft, part of the enormous search mission looking for the missing Titanic tourists, heard 'banging' at 30-minute intervals in the area the submarine disappeared.

The banging was noted in emails exchanged with the US Department of Homeland Security and seen by Rolling Stone.

Richard Garriot de Cayeux, President of The Explorers Club, confirmed in a Tuesday night social media post that 'there is cause for hope."
I feel a little stupid but does anyone know how Rolling Stone intercepted internal emails from Homeland Security? And why wouldn’t signs of life be reported all over msm as cause to celebrate? Why aren’t any Coast Guard or other government agencies giving live updates about banging?

I've been following, though intermittently.
I'm just learning now about the "banging" heard, though it hasn't been heard today evidently.

I was pretty much convinced something catastrophic happened even before they reached the Titanic, given communication stopped 1 3/4 hours in.
Also that whatever happened, they perished immediately.

Now this banging.... I can't imagine the fear and desperation these people have felt, or are still feeling. Absolute nightmare. My heart especially goes out to the 19 year old...he's so young.

I really want to have faith in this "cause for hope". And if they are still alive, that they are found and reached in time. That would be a miracle.

(long time ago, camping in the wilderness in Canada, I suffered a medical event with severe pain. At the nearest small local hospital I was given morphine. On the way back to the camp I was lying on the cot in the camper. I hallucinated, that I was in a coffin, could not get out. I will never ever forget that claustrophobic trauma. Claustrophobic since then.
I just can't with this situation....gives me anxiety here in the safety my own house)

I heard this just now on Bloomberg news, so since I cannot supply a link to something I heard on TV, let's call it MOO. I did a quick Goog for a link since I'm in the middle of making dinner but didn't find anything so here is what I heard (that's MOO) ;)

They said when talking to the pilot (?) I believe it was, perhaps years ago, that what would happen would "they'd get very cold, then fall asleep, and that would be the end of it."

If things don't end up with them being found alive at least knowing they didn't suffer makes me feel better. I'm still hoping and praying there's a happy ending to this.

Why would they fall asleep from getting very cold? Is this central to this scenario?

I feel a little stupid but does anyone know how Rolling Stone intercepted internal emails from Homeland Security? And why wouldn’t signs of life be reported all over msm as cause to celebrate? Why aren’t any Coast Guard or other government agencies giving live updates about banging?

This might come as a surprise to Homeland Security! ;)

An old PDF promoting the Titan, showing seating configuration for five people in the sub, has been shared by NBC News deputy tech editor Ben Goggin.

“Only one person can extend their legs. This looks like hell folks,” he writes:

I couldn’t do it I would probably have a heart attack looking in it

I've been following, though intermittently.
I'm just learning now about the "banging" heard, though it hasn't been heard today evidently.

I was pretty much convinced something catastrophic happened even before they reached the Titanic, given communication stopped 1 3/4 hours in.
Also that whatever happened, they perished immediately.

Now this banging.... I can't imagine the fear and desperation these people have felt, or are still feeling. Absolute nightmare. My heart especially goes out to the 19 year old...he's so young.

I really want to have faith in this "cause for hope". And if they are still alive, that they are found and reached in time. That would be a miracle.

(long time ago, camping in the wilderness in Canada, I suffered a medical event with severe pain. At the nearest small local hospital I was given morphine. On the way back to the camp I was lying on the cot in the camper. I hallucinated, that I was in a coffin, could not get out. I will never ever forget that claustrophobic trauma. Claustrophobic since then.
I just can't with this situation....gives me anxiety here in the safety my own house)
So they might be alive? How much time do they have left? How close is anyone to where the sounds came from?

Well. If that was the crew making noise it's both good news and horrible news. It means the crew was still alive, but the sub is either trapped or the flotation mechanisms have failed.

That's terrifying, and I honestly don't see any way to rescue them even if they're found.
This CBS News segment interviewed a naval expert who said that the discovery could take days but the rescue only minutes. His response at 3:20.

So they might be alive? How much time do they have left? How close is anyone to where the sounds came from?
I don't know.

The fact that the banging was heard at 30 minute intervals points to it being intentional, rather than some random sounds caused by currents or whatever knocking something about.

I believe they have 30 hours or so......but hypothermia is also a danger.

10:52 PM EDT
''There is less than 40 hours of oxygen supply left on the missing vessel, named Titan, which is carrying five people, a U.S. Coast Guard official said Tuesday as the search continues.
''The submersible is part of an OceanGate Expeditions tour that offers passengers a once-in-a-lifetime experience to explore the Titanic wreckage. It went missing Sunday after it lost contact with the research vessel Polar Prince.

What to know about the missing vessel, Titan​

• The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for the missing research submersible, named Titan, that disappeared Sunday.
  • The wreckage of the Titanic, the iconic ocean liner that sank more than a century ago, is 900 nautical miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
  • The sub had up to 96 hours of oxygen supply and by 1 p.m. ET Tuesday was down to 41 hours, the U.S. Coast Guard said.
  • The price of a spot on the submersible was $250,000. It was on only its third trip since OceanGate Expeditions began offering trips in 2021.
British billionaire Hamish Harding, owner of Action Aviation, was also among the five people on the vessel, along with French dive expert Paul Henry Nargeolet and prominent Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman.''
1687318765827.png
Search patterns used in the search for 21-foot submersible Titan after it went missing 900 miles east of Cape Cod, Mass.Briana Carter / U.S. Coast Guard District 1

Snipped...
...But Ron Toigo, who over two trips during the past two summers spent almost 40 hours in the Titan, believes there is more oxygen left than that.

“It’s really dependent on a lot of things,” Toigo said.

A scrubber that removes carbon dioxide from the air is constantly cleaned, he said. As long as the captain and crew stay relatively still, “You can stretch that out. … I wouldn’t be shocked if they weren’t good (for oxygen) for a week.”

Probably a stupid question, but why wouldn’t the sub be painted with bright orange paint and/or have reflectors on it like cruise ship life boats? I’m thinking if it somehow made it to the surface and the crew was alive but unconscious at least it might stand a better chance of being seen by air or ship? MOO

More information on the banging and a white rectangular object spotted in the water. Hopefully, they'll be found and they're okay.

Sonar has picked up banging sounds on Tuesday from underneath the water while searching for a submersible with five people onboard that went missing two days earlier on a dive to the Titanic wreckage, according to an internal US government memo on the search.

It was unclear when the banging was heard Tuesday or for how long, based on the memo obtained by CNN. A later update sent Tuesday night suggested more sounds were heard though it was not described as “banging.”

“Additional acoustic feedback was heard and will assist in vectoring surface assets and also indicating continued hope of survivors,” the update reads.

A Canadian P3 aircraft also located a white rectangular object in the water, according to that update, but another ship set to investigate was diverted to help research the acoustic feedback instead, according to that update.

#NEWS: Banging sounds heard during Titan search Tuesday, according to internal government memo on the search. Crews heard banging sounds every 30 minutes and four hours later, after additional sonar devices were deployed, banging was still heard

If they’re stuck in the Titanic wreckage, maybe they’re trying to dislodge themselves somehow?

This CBS News segment interviewed a naval expert who said that the discovery could take days but the rescue only minutes. His response at 3:20.

It so confusing to me. (I’m not smart when it comes to this stuff). If this submersible and it’s carrier ship is able to find the titanic so often- during most of the trips I think- how can it take so long to find them? How expansive is the wreckage? What are they using to find them?

1687319243304.png
Hamish Harding posted an image of the submersible to his social media accounts on Saturday.
rbbm
''A deep sea-mapping company Magellan, known for their one-of-a-kind deep sea imagery of the Titanic, is also trying to get involved in the search and rescue efforts but a key transport issue is holding them back.

Magellan Chairman David Thompson told CNN that his team is familiar with the site of the wreck and received written notice from OceanGate Expeditions to mobilize early Monday and help.

However, they need an aircraft with the ability to transport their deep-sea diving equipment from the UK to Canada to launch their operation. Specifically, he said, they would require the use of a C-17 Globemaster III military jet.

“We know the wreck site, we know the location, and the equipment we are trying to get picked up is the equipment we used to do that scanning of the Titanic,” Thompson said.

Thompson said the US Air Force or UK Royal Airforce have not gotten back to Magellan letting them know if or when a plane can be procured for them to use to transport the equipment they need to Canada to embark on rescue efforts.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82