Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The odds are against them," Marquet said. "There's a ship in Boston that has this ability to either lower cable and connect to it or have a claw. It's still a thousand miles away."

Even if a vessel was able to locate the submersible and lower a cable, it's extremely difficult to safely navigate the waters and attach it, Marquet said.

"You've got to get it exactly right. It's sort of like ... getting one of those toys out of those arcade machines. In general, you miss," he said.

Rescuers do have one advantage, Marquet said, as weather conditions off the coast of Newfoundland are not rough and will not disturb any boat or vessel there.

Marquet said if the boat made it to the surface, the submersible crew would be able to open the hatch to allow for more oxygen while it was adrift.

Marquet told ABC that if the five people are still alive, they would be asked to sleep to conserve their oxygen.

"We would put the vast majority of the crew to sleep because that's when you're using the least amount of oxygen and you're expelling the least amount of carbon dioxide," he said.

When you are asleep, you expel more CO2 which could be toxic to the men.

There was another report of submersion where they set alarms so that they would awaken to clean the scrubbers, rid the air of the CO2.

They were very concerned about sleeping through the alarms.

This guy is only partially correct, you do require less oxygen when asleep but the trade off could kill them.

IMO, MOO, JMO

The CEO Stockton Rush reminds me of the businessman who created the extremely dangerous and poorly designed 168 ft water slide, Verruckt, that decapitated a 10 yr old boy. He was the son of a state legislator who voted to abolish regulations for amusement park rides. The slide even failed safety tests, with sleds going 70 mph and sandbags used instead of humans going airborne. They still opened the ride to the public. No one was prosecuted or punished.

I've heard of that, it was one of the most horrifying things I've read, and I have read about a lot of death in many different ways. The mercy being the child would have died quickly, but the trauma for his family and the other patrons on the slide at the time - absolutely devastating.

MOO

For those that are getting a error message when trying to get into Marine traffic, here’s a screenshot as of 11 AM Eastern. The group circled in red is the Polar Prince along with a few other ships that are helping. Just down and to the right of that is a circle and that is the Atalante vessel coming from France.

I’m hoping and praying with the rest of you for a miracle. Hoping that somehow they have surfaced and can be found quickly.

MOO

Attachments

• D29D8A4D-673D-4BBB-BE9B-24BDB440217A.jpeg
    D29D8A4D-673D-4BBB-BE9B-24BDB440217A.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 54
The part about the sub going around the Titantic and at one point touching down on the deck was both interesting and also disgusting to me. Could the sub have made it down to the Titanic and then got caught up in the ship somehow. This disgusts me because it's not for "research' but for thrill seeking.
I don't think so. They lost contact at 1 hour 45 minutes and it takes between 2 and 2.5 hours to reach the bottom, so it wasn't there yet. Plus, if they just got tangled, they still should have been able to communicate.

I feel terrible for these people. I cant even imagine what thoughts were/are running through their heads. I went on an Atlantis Submarine tour in Aruba and that only went around 150ft deep - I was terrified and you could never pay me to do something like that again. It is mind boggling to me that these uber smart / wealthy people are spending their money going so deep in a craft that was not safety certified etc. I really hope they are found alive but the ticking clock is incredibly worrisome.

I'm sorry, what?!?! Last I checked, zip ties aren't built to withstand water pressure of 400 atmospheres (6,000 PSI) -- the equivalent of 35 elephants standing on it.

Nylon, which most zip ties are made from, will withstand 6000PSI without much deformation.
The pressure isn't working to pull open the zip tie, it's pressing in on it from every direction. The force pulling the zip tie apart will be similar to the force it was holding on the surface (just different buoyancies of the objects held together may vary that slightly)
There's 35 elephants standing on it but there's also the weight of 35 elephants pushing up on it - and 35 elephants pushing in on either side.

I suppose it wouldn't really matter which it was if it resulted in finding the vessel and they were still alive.

I've been thinking about this all morning. Nobody could predict how they might react in this situation but at some point I would think each man would realise that the air would last longer if he was the only one breathing it, which is a horrifying thought, but self preservation is a strong human instinct, and add to that the possibility of going stir crazy, or the thought that one of your fellow passengers could start to panic and consume air faster, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that if the sub is recovered, not everyone on board might be still breathing :(.

Obviously I hope that they are found safe and sound, but if not I can only hope that they didn't suffer.
Absolutely, some people in this situation, may perhaps assign blame. While others may be the guys, like those of the Apollo 13, and focus on finding a way to get home.

And same here. I do hope they/have or/are finding peace with themselves. And that they find a way to leave messages for loved ones. (In the event a miracle eludes them.)

Ugh, this is heartbreaking and horrifying. This would be my worst nightmare.

WEATHER CONDITIONS. Current weather at search scene: Winds at 23mph with gusts up to 30mph. Sea state is 6-7 foot swells with an air temperature of 50°f. #Titanic #oceangate (via USCG)

The search patterns used in the race to find #Titan can be seen in this image released by the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard said around 10,000 square miles had been searched as of Tuesday and that the searches were ongoing. (via Briana Carter / USCG) #titanic

• An aircraft with sonar buoys detected noise in the water yesterday, but "we don't know the source of that noise"
  • A lot of metal objects are at the Titanic site - which could be the source of the noise
  • The noise is "a target, it's a focus for us to look at", with vessels deployed nearby
  • Teams will keep searching "as long as there's an opportunity for survival", with more vessels working at the search site and aircraft flying above
Rear Admiral John Mauger says it's a very complex and difficult mission, with people working round the clock

I'm just trying to imagine what these individuals are going through if they are still alive. Trying to remain positive would be extremely difficult, especially when you have laypersons on board as visiting tourists. Even the most seasoned vet, which it appears there are at least two, would be no match for someone in the throes of a full blown freak out in a metal tube. Remaining calm would be the most difficult thing to do under the circumstances.

The fact they can't even get out of the submersible without outside aid is absolutely terrifying. An imploding submersible would be a mercy than slowly suffocating to death. Heights frighten me; my legs turn to jelly when near a drop or even on a sky high balcony but I'd rather jump out of a plane than go two and a half miles down to the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:
is it possible that they did touch ground, but there was a malfunction with the communications system?

I thought for sure that something catastrophic must have happened early on, but the intermittent banging in 30 minute intervals really makes me think they may still be alive.

(MOO)

It is really horrifying to think about the fact that these people might be alive, stranded, and terrified. :(

I'm just trying to imagine what these individuals are going through if they are still alive. Trying to remain positive would be extremely difficult, especially when you have laypersons on board as visiting tourists. Even the most seasoned vet, which it appears there are at least two, would be no match for someone in the throes of a full blown freak out in a metal tube. Remaining calm would be the most difficult thing to do under the circumstances.

The fact they can't even get out of the submersible without outside aid is absolutely terrifying. An imploding submersible would be a mercy than slowly suffocating to death. Heights frighten me; my legs turn to jelly when near a drop or even on a sky high balcony but I'd rather jump out of a plane than go two and a half miles to the bottom of the ocean.
I can’t imagine how I’d fare in this situation. I have an anxiety disorder and situations that are not life-threatening can trigger panic attacks for me. I can’t imagine being in an actual life-threatening situation for days and trying to cope with it.

About 35% of people have an anxiety disorder. There are 5 people in that sub. That math makes me sad. I’m really hoping they are found before it’s too late

I've been clicking in the search bar and selecting most tracked vessels.

Also, if you zoom out, you can see the Atalante getting closer. It's southeast of the Polar Prince.
Are all of these ships and equipment going to arrive in time to make a difference, or are they just planning to be there if needed to find and retrieve the sub and victims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader