Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I'm feeling worse about the possible 'banging' sounds .
It'd mean they're alive which is good, but it seems more hopeless as time goes on !
I hope the families are preparing themselves for the worst.
Wishing for a miracle today !!!!

Now there's an idea for a murder mystery. Sorry, bad joke, just trying to lift our spirits.
That's o.k., sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry !

I was thinking & praying about this situation most of the night.
Yes it sounds like some safety issues were skirted ?
But imo none of these explorers deserved what has happened.
If anything bad has happened, hopefully it was instant !

Another harrowing tale from a trip in the sub.
Shortly before the sub was launched, Loibl says the bracket of the stabilisation tube - used to provide balance as the craft descends into the depths fell off the vessel.

'That was reattached with zip ties. That didn't worry me,' he tells Bild.

:oops:
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

What we know about conditions inside the missing sub​

The five passengers on board the missing submersible have less than 24 hours of air supply left – if they are still alive.

The Titan vessel has 96 hours of air supply, according to its specifications. On Tuesday at about 17.00 GMT, the US Coast Guard said the Titan sub had enough air for 41 hours, which would mean a deadline of roughly 10.00 GMT on Thursday.

Those inside the sub will be “resting, breathing as little as possible, and trying to keep calm” in order to conserve energy, Joe MacInnis, who has made two trips to the wreck of the Titanic, told CNN earlier today.

OceanGate, the company that operates the sub, has not commented on conditions and provisions on the Titan, the BBC reports. But based on the accounts of those who have previously been inside the vessel, there will have been food and water available.

Mike Reiss, a producer and writer for The Simpsons, boarded the Titan vessel last summer. Sandwiches and water were available on the sub, but he recalled being told that many passengers did not eat during the journey, and that the rudimentary toilet on board had never been used, the New York Times reported.

CBS News correspondent David Pogue went on the OceanGate Titan in November, and compared the sub to being in a “minivan without seats”. In an interview with NPR, Pogue said:

There really is no safety gear in there except for a fire extinguisher and fire masks, which we practised putting on and taking off. That’s pretty much it, because there’s not much you can do if something goes wrong.

Shortly before the sub was launched, Loibl says the bracket of the stabilisation tube - used to provide balance as the craft descends into the depths fell off the vessel.

And the ‘toilet’ is a box of zip loc bags!?!?!

The ballast is old rusty pipes?!?!

And, what pray tell are ‘citizen scientists’?!?!

Now that other clients are speaking out, it gets sketchier by the second IMO, MOO.

Vessel with sonar search capabilities joins search operation, says US Coast Guard​

Three vessels have arrived on the scene to join the rescue operation, the US Coast Guard has said.

Among them are the Canadian Coast Guard’s scientific research vessel, the John Cabot, which has sonar search capabilities, the Canadian Atlantic Merlin and subsea support vessel Skandi Vinland.

Timeline of Titan's voyage​

Reuters has published a timeline of the Titan’s voyage, starting on Friday when it set off:

Friday: expedition sets off from St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada.

Saturday: British billionaire and adventurer Hamish Harding, one of those onboard the submersible, posts on Facebook: “Due to the worst winter in Newfoundland in 40 years, this mission is likely to be the first and only manned mission to the Titanic in 2023. A weather window has just opened up and we are going to attempt a dive tomorrow.”

Sunday 08.00 GMT: Time the submersible originally aimed to start its descent, according to a post by Harding on Instagram. It actually started its descent later, according to the US Coast Guard.
12.00 GMT: The submersible starts what should be a two-hour descent to the Titanic wreck, nearly 4,000 metres down, according to the US Coast Guard.
13.45 GMT: Communications between the submersible and the surface vessel are lost 1 hour and 45 minutes after starting its descent.
19.00 GMT: Titan is scheduled to return to the surface, the US Coast Guard says but fails to appear.
21.40 GMT: Coast Guard receives report about an overdue submersible from the research vessel Polar Prince about 900 nautical miles east of Cape Cod on the US coast.

Monday: US and Canadian ships and planes are swarming the area, some dropping sonar buoys that can monitor to a depth of almost 4,000 metres, US Coast Guard R Adm John Mauger says. Officials have also asked commercial vessels for help.

Tuesday: 14.50 GMT France says it will help with search by deploying Atalante, a ship equipped with a deep-sea diving vessel. It is expected to arrive late on Wednesday.
During the day: Sounds detected over several hours by Canadian Lockheed P-3 Orion aircraft, equipped with gear to trace submarines. CNN and Rolling Stone magazine report banging sounds at 30-minute intervals had been detected.

Wednesday: US Coast Guard, US Navy, Canadian Coast Guard and OceanGate Expeditions establish a unified command to handle the search.
06.00 GMT: US Coast Guard confirms Canadian P-3 aircraft detected underwater noises. It says remotely operated vehicle (ROV) searches are directed to the area of the sounds and the data is also sent to US Navy experts for analysis.

Thursday: 10.00 GMT: Approximate deadline for when the air in the submersible will run out, based on the US Coast Guard’s estimate that the Titan could have up to 96 hours of air supply from the time it was sealed.

At $250,000 a ticket, why not invest in some basic maintenance and safety provisions?? This isn’t one of those cases where the odds of something going wrong were minuscule and they ran into bad luck. Parts were literally falling off the sub. Its mind boggling.

Somehow I'm feeling worse about the possible 'banging' sounds .
It'd mean they're alive which is good, but it seems more hopeless as time goes on !
I hope the families are preparing themselves for the worst.
Wishing for a miracle today !!!!
Well dammit, let’s have one then! I believe. I believe. I believe. Say it all together folks. Please. It’s kinda now or never. I first started reading the thread, of course I believed they would be okay. Good grief, I thought, they don’t even need a miracle. They got the whole damn world looking for them. Then I went out to tell my husband, and instantly my hopes dropped. You would have just had to be here the last 48 years. Ok, I’m facing reality now. They were doomed before they started. Then just now, he came up to me and said ‘ya know, they just might make it.‘ I said no, ya think? ‘But seriously they still have a chance, I think’ he said. Well, if the most pessimistic man in the whole world thinks we can hope for a miracle than certainly I can stand up for what I believe in. Miracles. ❤️

Some thoughts combined with things I've read about the search efforts.

I read that the Titanic's two parts are separated by 800 metres, so it's quite a large debris field.

It's easier to find the Titanic as it's huge and not moving. But the submersible only seems to be able to see a short distance away from itself, so it needs help from the mother ship to guide it.

The submersible is tiny and probably moving with undersea or surface currents. Lower down on the ocean floor you have rocks and unevenness of the sea floor that would make it hard to differentiate between a rock and the submersible when searching with active sonar.

It's a huge volume area for the active sonar to scan, especially not knowing if the submersible has drifted.

They'll be doing visual searches of the sea surface. Also active and passive sonar. Active sonar is like the echo location that bats use...send out a ping and wait for it to come back, and then you can work out the distance to whatever surface the sound 'hit'. Passive sonar is listening for sounds like someone in the submersible banging on the hull in an attempt to be heard.
Thank you for that.

And the ‘toilet’ is a box of zip loc bags!?!?!

The ballast is old rusty pipes?!?!

And, what pray tell are ‘citizen scientists’?!?!

Now that other clients are speaking out, it gets sketchier by the second IMO, MOO.
Citizen scientists seem to be what they call their paying customers, for the purposes of avoiding all those slow and pesky enemies of innovation that are rules and regs.

MOO

How are teams searching for Titan?​

Aircraft flying above the wreck site have been dropping sonobuoys - devices used to detect sound - into the ocean. Some underwater noises have been detected, though the source is currently unknown.
A remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) - Victor 6000 - is also being used in the search.

1687356282160.png

Well dammit, let’s have one then! I believe. I believe. I believe. Say it all together folks. Please. It’s kinda now or never. I first started reading the thread, of course I believed they would be okay. Good grief, I thought, they don’t even need a miracle. They got the whole damn world looking for them. Then I went out to tell my husband, and instantly my hopes dropped. You would have just had to be here the last 48 years. Ok, I’m facing reality now. They were doomed before they started. Then just now, he came up to me and said ‘ya know, they just might make it.‘ I said no, ya think? ‘But seriously they still have a chance, I think’ he said. Well, if the most pessimistic man in the whole world thinks we can hope for a miracle than certainly I can stand up for what I believe in. Miracles. ❤️
I always appreciate your hope ❤️

Here's what's been happening​

If you're just joining us, here is a recap of what's been happening:
  • Rear Admiral John Mauger - who is leading the coast guard mission - told CBS News that this is an incredibly complex search and they are working with the international community to find the submersible
  • Earlier the US Coast Guard confirmed that an aircraft had picked up noise from the ocean - but Mauger said there were a lot of metal objects at the Titanic site that could have been causing the banging
  • Three more vessels have arrived at the search site, with one of them having side scanning sonar capabilities
  • It's thought that the people on board the Titan submersible have less than 24 hours of oxygen supplies left

Does the Titan submersible have food and water on board?​

Victoria Gill
Science correspondent

While OceanGate - the company that operates the sub - has not responded to our questions about conditions and provisions on Titan, we understand from the accounts of those who have been aboard previously that food and water is available.

There is also what is described as a “rudimentary toilet” on the sub.

We'll keep searching as long as there's a chance - Coast Guard​

Mauger ends by saying they will continue to work and bring every resource to bear on the search "as long as there's an opportunity for survival".

He says more vessels will be working in the search site, and they will continue to fly in the air above.

Recap: What Rear Admiral John Mauger said on the search​

Here's a recap of what Mauger said during his short interview with CBS News, our partner in the US:
  • The search is "incredibly complex" and partners from the international community are working to find the submersible
  • An aircraft with sonar buoys detected noise in the water yesterday, but "we don't know the source of that noise"
  • A lot of metal objects are at the Titanic site - which could be the source of the noise
  • The noise is "a target, it's a focus for us to look at", with vessels deployed nearby
  • Teams will keep searching "as long as there's an opportunity for survival", with more vessels working at the search site and aircraft flying above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02