TN - 4 dead, several injured at Waffle House, Nashville, Apr 2018 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Arrived at booking, taken from live video at https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-no-credible-sightings-of-waffle-house-shooting-suspect

attachment.php
attachment.php

Took to hospital will later be booked on 4 counts of murder

https://www.newschannel5.com/live-breaking-news

Walking pathways, saw suspect ahead of him. He turned around and officer recognized him. Drew gun on him, other officers came and assisted. Got him on the ground and cuffed him. Cut off backpack. Saw silver semi-automatic weapon, flashlight, holster. Back pocket had wallet and ID.

He's limping...

He asked for a lawyer and refused to speak with investigators. (paraphrased from press conference)

ETA: He had a hand gun in his backpack.

He's limping...

He asked for a lawyer and refused to speak with investigators. (paraphrased from press conference)

ETA: He had a hand gun in his backpack.

That's good. Asking for lawyer suggests he knows right from wrong. So there hopefully goes his insanity defense.

There are things that point to things not working correctly in his brain such as his choice of clothing.

However, he is lucid enough and clever enough to escape and hide.

That's good. Asking for lawyer suggests he knows right from wrong. So there hopefully goes his insanity defense.

I doubt it, the officers would have had to tell him he could have a lawyer when they arrested him.

The 4th gun is still missing.

(Looks like its raining pretty good there)

Talking to FBI guy now. Felt they thought they handled things ok in earlier incidents. Says it was IL state police etc. who have the guns back to him. Did the father violate any gun laws - FBI says refer to ATF.

ATF guy says yes, that could be a violation of federal law. Everyone is looking at father too, he could face charges.

Reinking should not have had weapons.

I doubt it, the officers would have had to tell him he could have a lawyer when they arrested him.

They would read him his Miranda rights, but if he wanted to talk and was insane, presumably him being read Miranda right wouldn't have stopped him from talking.

The 4th gun is still missing.

(Looks like its raining pretty good there)

Talking to FBI guy now. Felt they thought they handled things ok in earlier incidents. Says it was IL state police etc. who have the guns back to him. Did the father violate any gun laws - FBI says refer to ATF.

ATF guy says yes, that could be a violation of federal law. Everyone is looking at father too, he could face charges.

Reinking should not have had weapons.

From what has been reported, they found three already and there was fourth one in his backpack. So which gun is missing?

There are things that point to things not working correctly in his brain such as his choice of clothing.

However, he is lucid enough and clever enough to escape and hide.

He was appropriately dressed when he was caught. He obv changed clothes, put on a long sleeved shirt, rugged pants, heavy shoes. He was also carrying a backpack that he had packed with a semi-automatic .45 pistol, ammo, flashlight, etc. He was also carrying his wallet and ID.

JMO, a witness may have seen him shirtless yesterday if he took it off from being too hot. Second witness saw him this morning and he was wearing the shirt.

They would read him his Miranda rights, but if he wanted to talk and was insane, presumably him being read Miranda right wouldn't have stopped him from talking.

I'm not sure you can use someone exercising a Miranda rigt to undermine their defense in court though. That sounds constitutionally dodgy.

I'm not sure you can use someone exercising a Miranda rigt to undermine their defense in court though. That sounds constitutionally dodgy.

I am talking about insanity defense. Insane person isn't supposed to know right from wrong. Therefore presumably would not think they need a lawyer.

I am talking about insanity defense. Insane person isn't supposed to know right from wrong. Therefore presumably would not think they need a lawyer.

Can you use a defendant asking for a lawyer to undermine any defense in court though? That sounds like a legally dodgy area to me.

Can you use a defendant asking for a lawyer to undermine any defense in court though? That sounds like a legally dodgy area to me.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know. To me that suggests he isn't insane. But I don't know if that can be used as a legal argument in court.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know. To me that suggests he isn't insane. But I don't know if that can be used as a legal argument in court.

Maybe one of the verified lawyers on the forum can clarify.

ATF rep said he was not allowed to possess or buy any guns. Father was potentially in violation of federal law and could

potentially face charges. I hope the father is somehow charged and made an example of how a parent should be

culpable in this crime by providing weapons despite knowing and agreeing he was to secure them. Time for the father

to finally manup to his responsibilities that he's been shirking for many years with this son.

ATF rep said he was not allowed to possess or buy any guns. Father was potentially in violation of federal law and could

potentially face charges. I hope the father is somehow charged and made an example of how a parent should be

culpable in this crime by providing weapons despite knowing and agreeing he was to secure them. Time for the father

to finally manup to his responsibilities that he's been shirking for many years with this son.

I also hope this serves as a lesson to state and local LE to pay more attention to people in their jurisdictions who are banned from owning handguns. Guy should have been on probation, at minimum with regular follow up. He should not have been allowed to live in or visit homes where people had weapons on the premises. His first offense was very, very serious. This shouldn't have happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back