TN - 4 dead, several injured at Waffle House, Nashville, Apr 2018 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ATF rep said he was not allowed to possess or buy any guns. Father was potentially in violation of federal law and could

potentially face charges. I hope the father is somehow charged and made an example of how a parent should be

culpable in this crime by providing weapons despite knowing and agreeing he was to secure them. Time for the father

to finally manup to his responsibilities that he's been shirking for many years with this son.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know. To me that suggests he isn't insane. But I don't know if that can be used as a legal argument in court.

There's plenty of other evidence that can be used to prove he wasn't insane. The care he took to dress, pack a pistol and ammo and plan for his escape is a good example. The fact that he escaped and hid is another example.

I think he's too mad to execute, he probably thought Taylor Swift was telling him to do it or something equally loopy. They should never let him out again though.

You can bet on an insanity defense, but another problem may be to actually get him to trial. If he's ruled incompetent, there will be no trial. Rather, he would be sent to a secure mental facility where he would receive treatment. Only when he is deemed competent would a trial take place.

My guess (or rather, fear) is he'll be deemed crazy and put away for an indefinite time, years perhaps. Who knows if there will ever be an accounting in court for these murders.

Sure, he deserves the death penalty, but that's going to be hard to realize given his reported mental state.

Non-native English speaker here. What is the difference (if any) between being mentally ill and insane?

From this guys past and his behavior during the shooting it seems like he is delusional and suffers from some kind of mental illness, but it is still argued here that he is not insane. Could someone please explain? TYIA!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reporter says someone told him it was not necessarily illegal for the father to give him the guns. Others disagree. Federal and state laws are different and vary state to state, too. Lawmakers need to make more uniform. Crazy. Taking guns away from insane people doesn't work, apparently it's ok to give them guns anyway.

https://www.newschannel5.com/live-breaking-news

Non-native English speaker here. What is the difference (if any) between being mentally ill and insane?

From this guys past and his behavior during the shooting it seems like he is delusional and suffers from some kind of mental illness, but it is still argued here that he is not insane. Could someone please explain? TYIA!

Insane means one does not know the difference between right and wrong.

Insane means one does not know the difference between right and wrong.

Aha. So you can be mentally ill but not insane. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure you can use someone exercising a Miranda rigt to undermine their defense in court though. That sounds constitutionally dodgy.

Legally insane means not knowing the difference of right and wrong.

Insanity is the term used for the definition under criminal law. The legal definition of insanity or "mental disorder" under criminal law varies some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity_defense

US law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity_defense#United_States_law

Aha. So you can be mentally ill but not insane. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, legal insanity is a high bar to reach. Someone can be diagnosed with a mental illness without necessarily being criminally insane. You have to be so bad as to not know right from wrong, like the guy in Canada who murdered a man sat next to him on the bus because he thought the man was a demon.

Reporter says someone told him it was not necessarily illegal for the father to give him the guns. Others disagree. Federal and state laws are different and vary state to state, too. Lawmakers need to make more uniform. Crazy. Taking guns away from insane people doesn't work, apparently it's ok to give them guns anyway.

https://www.newschannel5.com/live-breaking-news

Well that's why I said many pages back that Illinois LE (Sheriff Dept. and Hwy Patrol) were all saying- No problem,

giving guns to father in Illinois. ATF doesn't seem to agree. i believe it will come down to ATF/FBI/Federal will

have presidence over local/state since ATF/FBI sent a directive to local/state to confiscate guns and his reg. card.

There WILL be a major Pi$$ing contest over this one. Just watch. Especially since the screwup at Parkland w/ FBI.

Reporters are also saying TR was arrested many times in the past for gun related crimes, but was never charged, always allowed to keep guns.

He slipped through the cracks many, many times. Appalling, no excuse. Affluenza.

As I noted above, if he has money, he can still buy whatever he wants. Gun shows, Craigslist, etc. In the south and many other rural states, sellers don't really care about laws or pay attention.
I don't think the 'in the south' has any bearing on this case. Criminals don't care about laws.

I've seen some odd sorts of attire, or should I say, barely attire, in Walmarts around this country. Don't want to wear a shirt, pulled on some see through leggings w/sketchy stains, have on a bathing suit the size of a napkin, or just feel like wearing your Pajamas, to go shopping? You're good to go at Walmart. Bare feet, in any store, in America? The horror. As long as he had three socks, he'd be good to go, at Wally World.

In Florida I watched a barefooted women in a tiny thong with pasties grocery shop. No one even blinked. Not sure Walmart has a dress code? or it's just not enforced.

From press conference, when officer drew his gun and told suspect to get down, he complied. Cut off backpack, in it they saw a silver Kimber (?) semi automatic weapon 45 caliber (which was one of the missing guns)

weather conditions made it tough work. Thanked citizens for all they did.

Chief Anderson: apprehension was a result of teamwork. Would not have happened without the community and a tip tht led to the arrest.

Don’t forget the victims. There will be support for them and their families.

No communication from suspect that is known, but was cooperative. Do not know where he stayed overnight. How he got the shirt, backpack, flashlight, and other items they do not know at this time.

Took about 10 minutes from the call/tip for officers to be on scene and make arrest.

ATF: Possible father violated federal law by giving guns back to a person they are prohibited to. Is being looked into. potentially he could be charged.

Officer: There is a lot they do not know at this time. Suspect looked tired. Did not try to run. ID was in his back pocket. Today was the first call to the exact area where apprehended. Does not know definitely if the area had been previously searched.

Mr. Aaron (sp?) : The area was widely searched yesterday Sunday.

Suspect asked for a lawyer, refused to answer questions.

Reporters are also saying TR was arrested many times in the past for gun related crimes, but was never charged, always allowed to keep guns.

He slipped through the cracks many, many times. Appalling, no excuse. Affluenza.

I hope ALL of his history comes out. Did his parents ever seek treatment when a minor? What was his diagnosis?

Was he supposed to be on therapeutic drugs? Was he taking anything? What were his street drug habits?

History of breaking law as minor?

I think we'll see that his parents have been covering for and enabling him for his entire life. When I heard he had been

living in apt. at his father's crane business, I figured the parents were aiding and abetting him his whole life.

Wonder what his father's criminal history is. I know we can't sleuth him, but I think that's part of the explanation here.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The man suspected of opening fire at a Waffle House in Antioch has been taken into custody, police have confirmed.
Members of the Metro Nashville Police Narcotics unit arrested Travis Reinking Monday afternoon in a wooded area near Old Hickory Boulevard and Hobson Pike.
In a press conference, Metro Police Spokesman Don Aaron said Reinking was taken into custody at 1:07 p.m. He immediately requested a lawyer and has been charged with four counts of murder.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-no-credible-sightings-of-waffle-house-shooting-suspect

That's good. Asking for lawyer suggests he knows right from wrong. So there hopefully goes his insanity defense.

That's what crossed my mind! He knew to hide from the cops, hide then returned to apt to evade being caught then requested an attorney. He's definitely smart/sane enough to think these things through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali
Back