Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting speculation, a DV type situation playing that. As for the bruises on his hands I was thinking less breaking a fall and more defensive wounds or even maybe he got a few shots in before the other person was able to disable him. I can't remember where I read this so take it with a grain of salt until verified, but I recall reading he was a black belt, I think in Karate. If that is accurate then he easily could have gotten the bruises from attempting to defend himself.

I was thinking hand as in palm and side of face, but, defensive bruising is just as feasible possibility. I'd thought maybe B met to end an unapproved relationship. I have been trying to find water depth levels of that area and have not had much luck, but if the water wasn't deep, and B was somewhat incapacitated, the bruising could possibly be from fighting back, from someone pushing him down into the water. <modsnip>

<respectfully snipped for brevity>

When I was in the dorms there wasn't exactly a head count, but each dorm had a Resident Assistant, and then each room had a Room Leader. If anyone was missing from the room at curfew (10:30 when I attended) or especially lights out (11:30 when I attended) the room leader would notify the RA. If a student was expected to be out past these times the RA would be aware of this information. Given that BS's job sounds like a landscaping type job I can't imagine that would apply to him, unless he had some second job that hasn't been reported (I knew a lot of students who worked at Chick-fil-A, for example, and helped close the store each night).

So, as a likely example, when I was a student the way this would go down was if my roommate wasn't at the time by say 11, my room leader would have reported this to our RA, who would have tried to reach out to the student directly and if that was unsuccessful then by 11:30 or definitely by midnight the RA would have been on the phone with school security (which was kind of laughable but did exist). I'm not exactly sure what the procedure would have been after that. I can't recall a time where this ever happened when I was a student. But suffice to say these aren't the kinds of dorms where you just come in at whatever time you feel like in the middle of the night or don't show up at all -- a student not coming back to the dorm would have been a major, major issue and I would assume that by 2am this would have been known by the highest levels of college staff (not sure if Dr. Sexton himself would have been woken up for this, but it's possible; I understand his age/health might have changed things by now, but I suspect he would have been when I was a student).

I know how odd and overprotective it sounds that a parent might be checking their 20 year old kids whereabouts on a Saturday night, especially one enrolled at a Bible college, but in this environment this isn't very weird. I had a lot of friends at Crown who had parents who would have behaved this way, and their kids also would not have thought anything of it. I'm not saying BS or his family fall into this category, but there is nothing surprising here. To clarify my previous paragraph, and as I think cjk mentioned elsewhere, Crown students are required to stay in the dorm every night. Unless something has changed this is a pretty strict rule; you aren't allowed to go stay with your buddy across town or anything like that. If I recall correctly the only exception was if your family was visiting town and you got written permission then you could stay with them during that time. It was also very, very difficult (almost impossible) to get any kind of permission to spend a weekend out of town, even to go back to your own home/church. Except for breaks (only Christmas and Thanksgiving, not even Easter) and "ministry weekends" (which occurred once per semester) or some kind of organized school ministry trip, you stayed in the dorms every weekend, no exceptions.

The above dorm rules, are very restrictive, as opposed to the colleges our family members attended here. I could see a dorm roommate not mentioning anything if someone didn't come in on a Sat. night in the local ones here. CW, though, I just don't understand why no one picked up on him being gone. I realize that in how he was raised, the tracking would not seem abnormal, but, by 2:00 a.m. in such a strict school, and protective parents, it is just odd that he wasn't missed.

Could someone have brought him back to the dorm, but he left again, after lights out? The tracking on the phone would show that though, wouldn't it?

I'm not blaming anyone. I just don't understand how he went unnoticed with all of the safeguards in place. It makes me wonder, if it was foul play, was it someone who knew he went to that school, and that someone knew how to circumvent the rules.

The whole college may have been concerned when he didn&#8217;t return that night. We just don&#8217;t know. But another possibility is that Blake could have requested a night out of the dorm. We just don&#8217;t know. I&#8217;m praying for this family&#8217;s peace.

The whole college may have been concerned when he didn&#8217;t return that night. We just don&#8217;t know. But another possibility is that Blake could have requested a night out of the dorm. We just don&#8217;t know. I&#8217;m praying for this family&#8217;s peace.

It&#8217;s certainly possible, but that does not seem to line up with the accounts given by his father, unless he left details out.

has that been verified by autospy and not by parents..?
You're going to have to start replying with quote if you want us to know what you are asking about.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would he even be allowed to have an I-phone at the college that is not checked for &#8220;bad&#8221; apps etc? Does not sound like it...

Still not sure of &#8220;murder&#8221; by drowning...unless any bruises are on his shoulders, for example, showing marks as though he was held under water. Bruises can happen in water if they are rocks, etc...jmo

Everything seems 'strange' about this case...I mean .The last instagram photo of the lake....The brick on the accelerator! What? I am in hope someone has cameras installed in the area .

Would there be bruising to hands and face from hitting water from a height, like a bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would he even be allowed to have an I-phone at the college that is not checked for &#8220;bad&#8221; apps etc? Does not sound like it...

Still not sure of &#8220;murder&#8221; by drowning...unless any bruises are on his shoulders, for example, showing marks as though he was held under water. Bruises can happen in water if they are rocks, etc...jmo

He would be allowed to have a smartphone. I don&#8217;t think they&#8217;ve ever implemented a check on student&#8217;s phones.

Bruising on palm and face (if that report is correct) makes me wonder if he crashed the car himself. If self-harm was his plan, maybe the first attempt didn't work. That doesn't explain the lack of scent from the car location.

I would much rather LE look hard and default to it being a crime until proven otherwise than the other way around. Sad situation no matter if it was self-harm or murder.

Thanks to both the Crown College alums for sharing their perspectives on what it is like to attend college there.

Everything seems 'strange' about this case...I mean .The last instagram photo of the lake....The brick on the accelerator! What? I am in hope someone has cameras installed in the area .

I'm sure there must be some video evidence of the car. There is a Weigel's gas station on the corner nearest the road where you turn to go to Ballards Way, where the car was found. He would most likely have passed by it. There's also a ATV/boating-type place opposite the gas station, a liquor store next to that, and then a bank. On the far side of the underpass below Hwy 140, there is a truck stop (a nice one, not shady). All places that should have cameras facing Topside Road. Unless he came from the other end of Topside (possible, but not as likely), he would have had to pass by one or more of these places as the road the car was found off of is a dead end. I'm sure the authorities know by now whether or not he was alone in the car, or if perhaps someone was following him.

Total speculation here... But it seems that Blake was fairly sheltered. If the park is a known meeting place for hookups, is it possible that he didn't know that? Maybe he met someone through work etc, and they arranged to meet there, but he didn't realize their intentions? That could have turned ugly, leading to an altercation in which he was harmed and someone attempted to cover it up.
I actually have no idea what to think about this case but feel that his reason for going to the park is important to understanding what happened.

This is a very good question! Anyone with ideas?

The best guessing I have on why he was identified by autopsy and not by his parents could be because a couple of reasons.

Drowning causes extreme bloating, especially when a body is submerged for a significant length of time. Perhaps Blake had been underwater long enough to cause extensive bloating and for his parents to identify him in that condition would have only added more trauma to their already broken hearts.

OR Blake could have had facial injuries that have not yet been released publicly. That circumstance would again be too traumatic for his parents to view while identifying his body.

JMO

New article, no new info, but they talk to his work mates.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...-blake-smith-crown-college-student/321954002/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But there IS new info actually. Apparently when Blake left work, he was NOT at the Weedman office as I think most assumed:

Smith worked for Weed Man until 2 p.m. on Saturday, according to franchise owner Brian Light. Smith was never on the business's property that day, Light said. He wouldn't say where Smith had been working.

And he apparently just started working outside the office, at HIS request, right after Christmas. Was there more to his reasoning?

When Smith returned to Knoxville after spending his Christmas break in Alabama, he asked Schellenger if he could transfer to the department that works outside.

"He wanted to be outside, walking around (and) active with the rest of our employees that go out and door-knock," she said, emotional but articulate, her lips curling into a smile. "I missed him greatly in the office. I even had to ask him one day if he would please stay in the office and help me. And he did, with a positive attitude."

She sounded very attached... that? More "freedom & independence"? Wanted to feel more like "one of the guys"?

To give him more time & ability to meet someone? (whether in person or through an app)

I still lean towards him having gone to Farragut Park to meet up with someone (more so given it's reputation).

Maybe he took the photo while he was waiting for them to get there, to keep as a memento... but it instead became a clue... :(

Still nothing about any other chats, texts or social media activity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

“He wanted to be outside, walking around (and) active with the rest of our employees that go out and door-knock...”

That definitely doesn’t line up with an ACL tear, a knee brace, and crutches.

&#8220;He wanted to be outside, walking around (and) active with the rest of our employees that go out and door-knock...&#8221;

That definitely doesn&#8217;t line up with an ACL tear, a knee brace, and crutches.

^^^^ That too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member