Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to that his parents tracked him with an app called "Life 360". They noticed he was at an unusual place Saturday night late at night when he was supposed to be at the dorm. .

BBM and RBM

How often did they track him? Randomly? Every night? Every hour? Weekends? Why was he "supposed to be at the dorm" on a Saturday night? Was there no socialization at all on weekends? Or, did he tell them that day that he planned staying in that night, and they decided to check up on him to see if he was being honest? If he knew they could track him, and they said he was supposed to be at the dorm that night, then maybe he assumed he'd be back at the dorm before if got too late.

Have they checked his social media? Texts? Facebook messages? Snapchat? Would that be released if they did? Did he have any journals? I hope they go over all of that with a fine toothed comb.

I also hope that this case is not whitewashed or compromised as to not upset the "conservative applecart", so to speak.

So, I've been following this case very closely. I'm very interested in what happened to this young man, as Crown College is my alma mater.

Re: the rules of the college... I know the mods already shut down that conversation, but suffice it to say that the school is extremely strict. I was there over a decade ago, but still know enough about the school to know that the posts from 2012 are an accurate reflection of the current handbook.

I, of course, am struck by the scene with the car, particularly the depressed gas pedal and the various articles around the scene. That leads me to believe the death is not accidental, much like many of you.

A couple of things that stick out to me, however, are probably unique to my perspective as a former Crown student:

(1) There is a curfew at Crown, and it is strictly enforced. When I was there, I believe it was 10PM. The only exception was if you worked somewhere that required you to be off campus later than 10PM. That exception only applied to the men, and you had to have written permission from the administration to be out later than 10PM for your job. Your resident assistant would be aware of that exception. It is the R.A.'s job to report a student who is late to curfew, particularly if someone has missed it all together. Even though Blake only lived a few hours away, he would not have been allowed to drive home for the weekend without receiving approval, and his R.A. would know if he had. So... it strikes me as very strange that no one at the college was looking for Blake before his father called his roommates on Sunday morning. Based on my experience there, it seems his parents would have been notified by the school on Saturday night. At the very least, the resident assistant should have notified security/the administration that Blake never came back and did not have permission to be away.

(2) Re: Blake possibly being gay... This is a thought I had, as well. That would definitely not be acceptable at Crown and he would be expelled if it was known that he was. I don't know anything about his family to say how they would react, but having been in those circles myself, I would imagine his odds of being accepted as gay by his family were probably not great. One interesting note about the culture of the independent fundamental Baptist (IFB) movement and Crown College in particular is that most of them marry really young. Almost everyone I attended school with was married within a year of college graduation, if not sooner. Almost everyone had a serious "courting" relationship while in school, and almost everyone met their future spouse there. I can only think of a handful of people who did not. (Almost all of them, incidentally, were girls... they outnumber the guys there.)

It is hard in the IFB world to get a job as a pastor if you're not married, so being married is almost as important as the degree and the "call" to ministry. That said, as a good-looking junior guy who seems to have stuff going his way in the IFB world, it seems off to me that he did not have a girlfriend. Maybe he does, and it's just not being mentioned, but I have not seen that anywhere. It's pure speculation, of course, to say that a lack of a girlfriend means he's gay. He may just be an exception to the rule. But, as a former student who knows the culture there very well, it definitely seems odd to me if he was not working at checking off the "married" box in preparation for a ministry role right out of school.

BBM and RBM

How often did they track him? Randomly? Every night? Every hour? Weekends? Why was he "supposed to be at the dorm" on a Saturday night? Was there no socialization at all on weekends? Or, did he tell them that day that he planned staying in that night, and they decided to check up on him to see if he was being honest? If he knew they could track him, and they said he was supposed to be at the dorm that night, then maybe he assumed he'd be back at the dorm before if got too late.

Have they checked his social media? Texts? Facebook messages? Snapchat? Would that be released if they did? Did he have any journals? I hope they go over all of that with a fine toothed comb.

I also hope that this case is not whitewashed or compromised as to not upset the "conservative applecart", so to speak.

In an interview with them, they said it gave them great comfort to know he was safe in his dorm at night (or something like that). At 10:30 when they looked, he was in an unusual place, then they worried when he was still there at 2am.

I haven't seen this mentioned and am curious -- if the car was found with engine still runnng and brick on accelerator, then either it was in neutral or park, or the wheels would be still spinning. Has anyone seen reports of either?

Earlier in the thread, it said that it was in reverse. I guess, depending on how much "gas" the cinder block was giving it, the wheels might not be spinning if the engine was not on high RPMs. I am curious about how much slope (uphill or downhill) there was from the deck the car was backed up to. If the car was revving highly enough to keep it from rolling downhill, for example, a lot more gas would have been consumed. I wonder when he last purchased gas.

I've looked a little more at this case and the locations. His parents said he went to the park to hike (and he liked hiking). That park does not exactly appear to be a park for hiking, from what I see. It looks pretty small and flat. To me, that is another consideration for the possibility of meeting up with someone--especially given that that park is a known cruising spot.

Just some thoughts.

In an interview with them, they said it gave them great comfort to know he was safe in his dorm at night (or something like that). At 10:30 when they looked, he was in an unusual place, then they worried when he was still there at 2am.

It seems odd to me then, that his parents didn't alert someone IMMEDIATELY. Also, as Crown College alum cjk0301 states - there is a CURFEW. If he was in some weird place at 10:30pm, why didn't his parents/dorm mates alert someone? And my gosh, when his parents saw he was still at a strange place at 2am, why didn't they freak out? I would have if it was my kid!! Especially if he was a "good kid" and not one to stay out late, miss curfew, etc.

And also, as cjk0301 said, why wasn't someone at the college alerted when he missed the curfew? Did he perhaps do this often? Did his dorm mates think, "Oh he's done this before, he'll be back tomorrow"..?

It's all so strange.. all of it.

You know, I quite clearly remember the Bernstein's being judged harshly like this in the beginning, when it turned out that not only did they suspect Blaze was gay, but they loved him and adored him and his mother tried to get him to talk about it, to let him know that they loved him anyway and would support him. People made early and harsh judgments about their family, and I would hate to do the same about Blake's family, without knowing more about them. Just because they are religious, does not mean that they wouldn't love or care and support him, if he was gay.

I have devote Christians in my family that love and support several family members and friends that are gay- we're talking right wing religious folks who follow the Bible like it's their lifeline- yet they still love people close to them who's beliefs aren't the same. I know there are some radicals out there, but it isn't fair to assume that every religious person is one.
This!!

I have been looking at maps and saw this: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/07/blake-smith-crown-college-student-d/315775002/

I have tried to find the topography in the area and is it possible someone could be traveling on hwy 140 in the passenger side of the car, with the brick on the gas pedal and jump (or be pushed) into the river? The car would then veer off and stop wherever there was something to stop it, ie a house. That could explain the damage to the car as it traveled from the highway to the spot it stopped. I just haven't been able to find specifics on where Bs was found.

hmmm, I wonder if the pics with dogs are the actual dogs used to search... they are small, that's all.

They parents allegedly said that when they saw the body, they knew it was foul play, so that might be something to consider too. Something visual was apparent perhaps.

This one is a stumper. And, like always, LE knows more than we do.

Any of this could potentially be true. He was at a school where permission had to be sought to date someone of the opposite race so in my way of thinking, that's pretty strict. Idk if B was gay or not, but, the first pic I saw of him, I thought that there was a good chance, before I came to WS to see if there was a thread set up. If so, I hope someone didn't hurt him b/c of that. I hope it was, somehow, truly, accidental.

How can you tell by a picture that there was a good chance Blake was gay? I don't think that's possible. IMO

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/something-queer-about-that-face/

Apparently, it is possible as explained at this link from Scientific American.

Under the title of the article, it states: "Without being aware of it, most people can accurately identify gay men by face alone."

Paraphrasing, it references a scientific study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, in which male and female participants were shown the photos in random order of 90 male faces, 45 straight, and 45 gay.

The study made certain the photos adhered to strict protocols to prevent bias. ( Faces only looking forward, no jewelry, glasses, or facial hair. All of the images shown on a white background. )

With the press of a button, the participants guessed the sexual orientation. All participants, male and female, scored above chance, correctly identifying the gay faces.

Accuracy rate was just as good when the images were shown rapidly, which gave the participants no time to consciously process the photos.

Found the study interesting. But myself, I can seldom figure out anything like that, even with ongoing interaction. I have a gay nephew and was really surprised when he announced it.

Fortunately, he was warmly embraced by his entire family. We love him dearly, as we always have...

JMO

Thanks very much cjk0301 for your sharing of your experience as a student at Crown College, it allows a perspective in to a lifestyle and a set of values that is very different to mine (and maybe a few others here I would say).

I was brought up in a Christian household and attended Sunday school and youth group but soon after began to question a lot of things and then later when I embarked on a education in the sciences I left the church and it’s teachings behind. That said, I am deeply respectful of the beliefs of others and from what I’ve seen of Blake’s family and friends, their faith and their belief in a better place will bring them great comfort in dealing with this event.

Re: the IFB, and only if you don’t mind answering questions cjk0301
-I was wondering if you can give some insight into how the church would view suicide...on a earlier post I mentioned that religious scholars seem to be divided on the notion of the ‘sin’ and existential ramifications of it.
-Re: a pastoral career plan and marriage etc
What percentage of students in such a college are looking at a career in the church? Would there be other career options at the end of your studies? Is the ‘marrying’ agenda unspoken? I’m wondering about the pressures upon a student to follow a ‘path’...

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/something-queer-about-that-face/

Apparently, it is possible as explained at this link from Scientific American.

Under the title of the article, it states: "Without being aware of it, most people can accurately identify gay men by face alone."

Paraphrasing, it references a scientific study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, in which male and female participants were shown the photos in random order of 90 male faces, 45 straight, and 45 gay.

The study made certain the photos adhered to strict protocols to prevent bias. ( Faces only looking forward, no jewelry, glasses, or facial hair. All of the images shown on a white background. )

With the press of a button, the participants guessed the sexual orientation. All participants, male and female, scored above chance, correctly identifying the gay faces.

Accuracy rate was just as good when the images were shown rapidly, which gave the participants no time to consciously process the photos.

Found the study interesting. But myself, I can very seldom figure out anything like that, even with ongoing interaction. I have a gay nephew and was really surprised when he announced it.

Fortunately, he was warmly embraced by his entire family. We love him dearly, as we always have, and that will never change...

JMO

A/k/a "gaydar"

The vandalized/wrecked vehicle and the cinder block on the gas pedal is what really throws things *advertiser censored** over elbows for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not finding his scent outside the vehicle is also troubling.

How can you tell by a picture that there was a good chance Blake was gay? I don't think that's possible. IMO

I don't recall saying that he was gay. I said that I felt it could be a good chance. It seems others have been pondering the same. I was agreeing with, inmyhumbleopinion , Post #311, as I have noted some of the same, as imho, noted, in folks I've known:

• Many of those pictures remind me of some of my friends who are gay, but didn’t come out until at least in their early 20’s although many of us close to them always “knew” to be. It’s their hair, what they wear/style (and how those things evolve as they become more comfortable with themselves), things like that. But without meeting the person or getting to know them, it’s impossible to know, IMO.

Re: the IFB, and only if you don’t mind answering questions cjk0301
-I was wondering if you can give some insight into how the church would view suicide...on a earlier post I mentioned that religious scholars seem to be divided on the notion of the ‘sin’ and existential ramifications of it.
-Re: a pastoral career plan and marriage etc
What percentage of students in such a college are looking at a career in the church? Would there be other career options at the end of your studies? Is the ‘marrying’ agenda unspoken? I’m wondering about the pressures upon a student to follow a ‘path’...

Crown College only offers a handful of majors, and almost all of them are for geared toward training young people for full-time ministry. The undergraduate degree programs are in Pastoral Ministry, Youth Ministry, International Missions, (Church) Music, and Education (elementary and secondary). Since I was there, they have also added a "small business" degree and a trade school that focuses on auto mechanics, HVAC, and cosmetology. There is also an associate degree program for office administration, and a program for teaching English as a second language. Only men can do the Pastoral Ministry program, and only women can do the Office Administration program.

There are a few women in the Missions and Youth Ministry programs, but but it is also mostly men. Education is reversed: it is mostly women, but there are some men. I don't know about the business program and the trade school, but even that school exists for the aid of students who may need to be bi-vocational (men ministering in a small church, on a foreign mission field, or in a part-time ministry role) or for women who absolutely must work (as a teacher in a private Christian school or as a secretary in a church office).

The roles are very gendered in the IFB worldview, including at Crown. Generally, women are expected to be housewives and mothers. It's OK for women to work, but definitely not preferred. They definitely cannot be a pastor in a position of "authority" over a man. I would say that 95% or more of the students there plan to be in full-time Christian ministry, and probably 75-80% or more actually move in that direction after college. (In my case, I did not jump directly into a pastoral role because I was not yet married. I left fundamentalism not long after.)

The marrying agenda is unspoken, but it's extremely common. There are definitely kids that leave the school without a spouse or a future spouse, but I would peg the percentage at lower than 20%. In the past, career options outside of IFB ministry were low because the school was unaccredited until very recently. For that reason, the degrees were essentially useless, even in churches outside of the very rigid IFB camp. The school of education may still be unaccredited (they don't want their students teaching in public schools); I'm not really sure about that. The school has sought to address those issues in the past ten years through regional accreditation and the extra trade training.

As for suicide, I don't many Baptist fundamentalists that would consider it a mortal sin (God can forgive anything, so that's good), but I also don't know many fundamentalists who would address it head-on when it occurs. There is definitely an element of shame for the family when suicide occurs.

Mental health issues is generally viewed as more of a character flaw or a "sin" issue, and fundamentalists tend to scoff at psychology and other mental health fields as some sort of liberal/secular indoctrination. Psychological care is very underserved in IFB circles, and counseling practices are usually kept within the church and performed by untrained professionals. If you look up Bob Jones University, Jim Berg, and the GRACE report on Google, you can learn more. (Warning: sexual assault trigger if you go down that path.)

I have known several families who have dealt with suicide, and it is typically kept very quiet, even though a lot of folks basically know what happened. Typically, the family makes a really big deal of what a good Christian the victim was, and never really addresses how they were lost or why. That's a generalization, but a fairly accurate one. Even after a suicide occurs, I have often seen that it is unlikely to change folks' view of mental health as a serious component of a person's well-being. This is not always true, but I have seen it enough to call it a trend within the IFB world. If BS did take his own life, I would imagine we will only hear about it because LE lets us know. The family and college probably will not, if they are consistent with what I have seen. I hope to be wrong if that ends up being the case.

I am so sorry if I came across as being judgmental. I completely agree with what you said in the first paragraph of your post.

I also relate to what you shared in your second paragraph: I have friends who were terrified to come out to their religious families -Evangelical Christian and Muslim in my experience-, only to be fully embraced and supported upon doing so.

Again, it was not my intent to judge Blake's parents. My sincere apologies.

I for one, did not think you were condemning his parents (if in fact he was gay). I thought you were making a generalization, about how difficult it can be for folks to "come out" and especially so, in particular families/cultures/religious backgrounds. Most parents have an inkling anyway. My friend told me that he was pretty sure that his son was gay, when the child was around five. This was over 20 years ago. He told us that he didn't know what to do. We just told him to love him. That friend died a couple weeks ago. His son, who, in fact, is gay, said that he and his Dad had some different viewpoints over the years, but, he was always there for him, and always told him how much he loved him, and he was going to miss his Dad so much. I told him, at the viewing, that he had his Dad's beautiful smile, and the smile got even bigger. I think those who shun their children, are mostly in the minority, but it doesn't make "coming out", any easier. Just my take.

So I took a ride around the area earlier, and here are some observations:

I had Ad. Farragut Park confused with Carl Cowan Park. They are connected, but though CCP is wide open style, AFP is secluded. You go up a hill and then down into a small wooded area near the river. Very easy to see why this is known as a good "meeting place". It took me less than 10 minutes to drive between the park and the house.

I was stunned by how close the house is to the houses around it - I at first thought I must have had the wrong house. I expected it to be much more secluded. I could stand in the back yard of the house on the opposite side of the water and hit the other house with a rock. The water is mostly dried up right now immediately behind the house due to the lake levels being lowered, he would have had to have walked a little ways to even get to water of any depth.

Ballard Road does have a very small, old private property sign at the entrance, but it not cordoned off in any way. There were several vehicles at the house, though I cannot tell what they were as the neighbors appeared to be home and I didn't feel comfortable stopping to look. They looked like workers to me though, not police - don't hold me to that, just my impression.

If you look at street view, you'll notice a small house at the entrance to Ballard Way - that house appears deserted now, as does the house opposite. There are three brick houses on E. Old Topside that have a full view of the backyard of the house - two opposite the house on the other side of the water, and one up the hill on the other side of Old Topside. The last Google Street view I have seen was taken in May 2012 - there have been many trees removed since then, and the builders of the house appear to have had all trees between them and the water cleared. I could actually see the top story of the house from all the way out on Topside Rd, not just from E. Old Topside.

I'm left with more questions than answers after having seen the area. How in the world did he hit the house and the neighbors not hear it??? How was there a car running all night with a block on the gas pedal without them seeing or hearing it???

Thanks, LadyO! One question, did you notice if there were any tire marks in the yard?

A vehicle went off the road in front of the house and there's clear tire impressions in our yard, but it must have happened while we were asleep, because we didn't hear them, and it looks as if they just corrected and pulled back onto the road.

If the B's vehicle was driven onto the property to specifically be placed in the way they found it vs. and accident, and then trying to get the vehicle back out, it would seem that the tire marks would be different.

Thanks, LadyO! One question, did you notice if there were any tire marks in the yard?

A vehicle went off the road in front of the house and there's clear tire impressions in our yard, but it must have happened while we were asleep, because we didn't hear them, and it looks as if they just corrected and pulled back onto the road.

If the B's vehicle was driven onto the property to specifically be placed in the way they found it vs. and accident, and then trying to get the vehicle back out, it would seem that the tire marks would be different.

I did not. But I also only saw the back if the house facing the water, so I don't know what might have been in front.

I have been looking at maps and saw this: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/07/blake-smith-crown-college-student-d/315775002/

I have tried to find the topography in the area and is it possible someone could be traveling on hwy 140 in the passenger side of the car, with the brick on the gas pedal and jump (or be pushed) into the river? The car would then veer off and stop wherever there was something to stop it, ie a house. That could explain the damage to the car as it traveled from the highway to the spot it stopped. I just haven't been able to find specifics on where Bs was found.

No, I don't think that's likely. Hwy 140/Pellissippi Parkway crosses the river prior to passing over Old Topside Rd. The car would have to go through a guard rail and down a very steep hill just to get to the road, and I'm pretty sure it would crash without ever getting up Ballard Way and the house. Something similar had crossed my mind as well, but I doubt it having now seen the area.

I hate to ask this, it just seems so invasive but....do we know exactly where BS was found? I haven't been able to find that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaspurrjax