Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all so much.

Suicide is something that breaks the survivors left behind. We deny it is suicide for so long after it has happened because if is just so unbelievable. I wish Blake's family peace. It will come

Thank You JazzTune for this thoughtful and heartfelt explanation of the thoughts of a suicidal person. Over the Holidays, our small town lost 4 people to suicide. They all had loving families and many friends. Our community has been shaken to its core. I have saved your quote as it brings much comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your very kind words... I am so sorry to hear about the tragic deaths from suicide in your small town. I can easily understand why it has affected everyone so deeply.

Holidays are a powerful trigger for those struggling with depression. Our unit was always full at that time.

Death is never easy, but suicide is so much worse because it doesn't seem to make any sense. The survivors are left crushed and devastated. As well as furious. 'How could my loved one do that to me?!'

But those who die at their own hands are victims too in the truest sense of the word. They would have never done it had they been in their right mind.

Which is exactly how Depression kills...

Thank you again, and my deepest sympathy to all in your town who are suffering with such painful loss...

Thank you all so much.

Suicide is something that breaks the survivors left behind. We deny it is suicide for so long after it has happened because if is just so unbelievable. I wish Blake's family peace. It will come

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I wish you peace too, as you go forward with your life.

You have a very kind and gentle soul...

Maybe it helped a little but the car would have been found at the construction site Monday morning. I'm sorry if I'm not a fan of these things. I had nanny software on our home computer when the kids were in school. After they left home, I can get in contact with them by text or messenger. I'm just a bit weirded out by someone being able to check my whereabouts anytime they wish. I know that folks have them, as I said, my cousin uses them on her under age kids, but I don't want folks checking in on me like I'm a child nor would I want to do so to my adult children. I think maybe it's my culture or something. We don't get into each other's business like that.
I'm not a fan of apps like that because of privacy, but my 21 year old son is a very techy person and is always urging new apps and things on me. So, the app may not have been from parental pressure or urging. It may legitimately have been something the son was interested in.

Thank you for your very kind words... I am so sorry to hear about the tragic deaths from suicide in your small town. I can easily understand why it has affected everyone so deeply.

Holidays are a powerful trigger for those struggling with depression. Our unit was always full at that time.

Death is never easy, but suicide is so much worse because it doesn't seem to make any sense. The survivors are left crushed and devastated. As well as furious. 'How could my loved one do that to me?!'

But those who die at their own hands are victims too in the truest sense of the word. They would have never done it had they been in their right mind.

Which is exactly how Depression kills...

Thank you again, and my deepest sympathy to all in your town who are suffering with such painful loss...
That's interesting...I worked at a mental hospital for 3 years and we were never any busier during the holidays. Which made sense, since suicides peak in the Spring.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My wife took her own life in June 2016. It would have been our second wedding anniversary today. Even though I was very aware that she had been struggling, and we had sought help, I never imagined that she would take her life. I was woken by the police banging on my door to say they had found her body.

People can hide their feelings extremely well, even from those most close to them. I have spent an awfully long time looking back to see if there was anything I missed, anything I should have seen that I didn't. My wife acknowledged her struggles but she convinced me that she wasn't suicidal, that she wouldn't leave me, that we as a couple and our love was worth fighting for. I spoke to her just about an hour before she died and she told me that she loved me. I had no clue, and for a while I was in complete denial that she could have done that.

Now, I am more at peace with what happened. It will never leave me, and there are times I still find it so hard to believe that she ended her life, but I understand now more than I would ever have imagined I would that sometimes you don't know what is going on in another person's mind or soul.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious wife, Blef.
Your acceptance says a lot about you and I wish you and yours only the best. I wish I could say more right now but I am not able as suicide is very close to my heart as I have been there done that almost too many times to mention and the loss of two friends I loved has me struggling on my own hurdle. Even though your post was both heartbreaking and loving at your acceptance and understanding. I hope one day to be as strong as you.

Big hugs and much love, you deserve it all.

Memorial video:

https://youtu.be/fZcrM1jZmv0
0e93cb85b5f2110da6136c5c94fecfda.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Typically a person who drowns is not a good site after 24 of being in water. There are some very disturbing thing that happen to your body. Hmmm!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

So it's looking like another mystery which will never be solved, at least for the public. My thoughts are that this young man must have been troubled in some serious way. While his parents almost overstate his piety, his Christian witness, calling, faithfulness, etc, I can't help but think that Blake might have felt suffocated by all of the pressure he felt from his parents and others who put him on a pedestal, raving about this "paragon of virtue" young man. More than likely he was enticed by some yearning that wasn't quite so "holy", and he indulged in it, feeling the guilt, shame and the weight of the world on his shoulders all the while. He most likely had a very strong conscience, sense of right and wrong, and yet had the carnal desires of an average 20-year old male. Most people I've mentioned this case to have surmised "gay"...he does appear somewhat effeminate in his photos, and that persuasion would be ingrained in him to be an "abomination" according to his strict biblical upbringing. If indeed he was secretly indulging in reaching out for homosexual affection/activity, it's my opinion this could cause this young man enough grief, turmoil and shame that he may have felt the need to take his own life. it is hard to believe that no one noticed anything that night, and that the only one who was witness to the events of that night was Blake Smith.
I get the vibe that he may have been fighting something that was out of his control. Maybe something went horribly wrong and another person was there, who then did the staging. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My wife took her own life in June 2016. It would have been our second wedding anniversary today. Even though I was very aware that she had been struggling, and we had sought help, I never imagined that she would take her life. I was woken by the police banging on my door to say they had found her body.

People can hide their feelings extremely well, even from those most close to them. I have spent an awfully long time looking back to see if there was anything I missed, anything I should have seen that I didn't. My wife acknowledged her struggles but she convinced me that she wasn't suicidal, that she wouldn't leave me, that we as a couple and our love was worth fighting for. I spoke to her just about an hour before she died and she told me that she loved me. I had no clue, and for a while I was in complete denial that she could have done that.

Now, I am more at peace with what happened. It will never leave me, and there are times I still find it so hard to believe that she ended her life, but I understand now more than I would ever have imagined I would that sometimes you don't know what is going on in another person's mind or soul.

I am so so sorry, Blef! I can hear your pain and how much you loved and cared about your wife- no doubt, she felt blessed having a wonderful and caring spouse by her side, especially during her darkest hours. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, I know this day must be very painful for you. :heartbeat:

That's interesting...I worked at a mental hospital for 3 years and we were never any busier during the holidays. Which made sense, since suicides peak in the Spring.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Nice to meet a fellow colleague from the mental health field too.

I think the differences though in our experiences with our holiday census may lie more in the different types of units we both worked.

'Mental hospitals' as such, are generally free-standing facilities with mental patients who are medically stable. Their criteria for admission screen out patients who are medically compromised since the mental hospitals are not set up to provide much more than basic medical services. Which very much limits the admissions right then and there.

Those patients were admitted to our unit instead.

Our unit was part of a regular hospital in a large urban city. Our patients frequently had severe medical problems, and we were set up to care for any type of problem or crisis. We had 24/7 physician coverage on site. Plus all our RN staff had critical care experience.

Because of our proficiency, we were a referral unit for many other mental hospitals and facilities. In short, we got the sickest of the sick. Like a flood too, those sickest of the sick rose dramatically in numbers during the holidays.

I believe those higher numbers may have been due not only to holiday triggers, but those patients' severe medical illnesses and conditions, which were often powerful risk factors for suicide, in and of themselves.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the pitiful state of mental health services. Over the years, insurance companies have drastically slashed their reimbursement and approval rates for mental health admissions. So much so that many psychiatric facilities are being forced to close their doors.

Several have closed in our city over the last ten years. We are one of very few left. That has created a patient overflow that has landed on our doorstep. Our hospital, committed to providing full service care, subsidizes the costs of many of our patients' care.

Therefore, our unit has continued to treat many more patients, homeless and others, that mental hospitals will not keep. Again, resulting in a higher census for us when other mental facilities are lower.

Not meaning to blow our own horn. Just wanted to give you a better understanding of why we were always full at the holidays, even though it was still a long way until Spring...

JMO

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious wife, Blef.
Your acceptance says a lot about you and I wish you and yours only the best. I wish I could say more right now but I am not able as suicide is very close to my heart as I have been there done that almost too many times to mention and the loss of two friends I loved has me struggling on my own hurdle. Even though your post was both heartbreaking and loving at your acceptance and understanding. I hope one day to be as strong as you.

Big hugs and much love, you deserve it all.

So sorry to hear of the stress and heartache you're going through right now. Thank you for being here though, and for trying to use your pain to help others. That really says a lot about who you are.

Wishing you peaceful days ahead as you process your own grief...

I'm not a fan of apps like that because of privacy, but my 21 year old son is a very techy person and is always urging new apps and things on me. So, the app may not have been from parental pressure or urging. It may legitimately have been something the son was interested in.

I think it was likely a family thing b/c his father basically said that he used Life360 to "track him".

There was a dorm curfew, from what OP said, who'd attended the same school, was 10:30 p.m. w/lights out at 11:30 p.m. (see post #377)

BS's father checked in on him at 10:30 p.m., and it showed B, as being nearly 25 miles from school, and past curfew. I kinda think it was a familial thing and Dad was doing a routine check to see if he'd made curfew. Dad made a second check at 2:30 a.m. , and felt uneasy. Later, he made another check, when he got up the next a.m., and it showed that B was still there, and it was at this point that the parents became highly concerned. Dad even made the comment that we use the app "to track him".

With B attending such a strict school, doing ministry to various incarcerated persons, enjoying hiking (possibly alone), it seems a bit odd that no one was more concerned over B not returning for curfew, especially by 2:30 a.m. Not the parents, not the roommates who knew he wasn't there, nor the RA.

This is a school where you can't even be seen with a member of the opposite sex before noon, on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Very strict. I wonder if B had been late for curfew before, and friends, and his parents, didn't want to get him busted by the school, so they waited.

I have concerns about this case. <modsnip>They actually had an open casket funeral. I will post the link below. <modsnip>
Link to service:

https://youtu.be/d_Rwz81f4Zw

I too have concerns about this case, and if someone deliberately hurt this young man, I want them brought to justice, yesterday.

However, respectfully, I do not understand the concern about an open casket. Open caskets are so common here, that it's uncommon to have a closed one. I thought the service was a very nice, respectful, celebration his life, and his faith. Very similar to some funerals that I've attended throughout the years. Choirs are not as common as they once were, though, what with technology making it easy to sync photos of the loved one, to their favorite music, and all.

Typically a person who drowns is not a good site after 24 of being in water. There are some very disturbing thing that happen to your body. Hmmm!

They can work miracles in the funeral home industry these days. I think almost all of the Rhoden/Gilley family members were shot in the face and head. Iirc, almost all had open casket funerals. j

They can work miracles in the funeral home industry these days. I think almost all of the Rhoden/Gilley family members were shot in the face and head. Iirc, almost all had open casket funerals. j
I agree in some cases. But to me drowning victims would take a LOT of work. There skin puts them in a whole different league I would think. I'm not so sure that this case is what it seems, so anything is possible. So I'm skeptical. Lol

FEBRUARY 27, 2018
SHERIFF’S OFFICE CLOSES CASE IN DEATH OF CROWN COLLEGE STUDENT
MARYVILLE, TENNESSEE – Blount County Sheriff James Lee Berrong said Sheriff’s investigators closed the case on the death of Crown College student Blake R. Smith, 20, who passed away February 4.
Smith, from Trussville, Alabama, was a student at Crown College in Powell.
Sheriff’s investigators closed the case following a meeting with medical examiners and the Blount County District Attorney General. The medical evidence and the evidence at the scene confirmed that Smith was involved in a vehicle accident at the construction site on Ballards Way in Louisville on February 4 where his crashed vehicle was found. An autopsy performed February 6 revealed Smith suffered a small subdural brain bleed, which likely caused Smith to become confused and disoriented. Further evidence revealed that Smith was alone when he entered the lake bottom where investigators found his body in Georges Creek on February 5, approximately a half mile from the construction site on Ballards Way. The medical examiner ruled Smith’s death as accidental drowning. The toxicology report was negative.
Sheriff’s investigators met with Smith’s family following the closure of the case.
“Blake’s death is a sad and unfortunate accident,” Sheriff Berrong said. “From all accounts, he was a Godly and kind young man who had an adventurous spirit and liked to explore, which is likely why he came to Blount County. His life, and death, touched many people, including those of us at the Sheriff’s Office. I am very sad for the family and friends he left behind.”

FEBRUARY 27, 2018
SHERIFF’S OFFICE CLOSES CASE IN DEATH OF CROWN COLLEGE STUDENT
MARYVILLE, TENNESSEE – Blount County Sheriff James Lee Berrong said Sheriff’s investigators closed the case on the death of Crown College student Blake R. Smith, 20, who passed away February 4.
Smith, from Trussville, Alabama, was a student at Crown College in Powell.
Sheriff’s investigators closed the case following a meeting with medical examiners and the Blount County District Attorney General. The medical evidence and the evidence at the scene confirmed that Smith was involved in a vehicle accident at the construction site on Ballards Way in Louisville on February 4 where his crashed vehicle was found. An autopsy performed February 6 revealed Smith suffered a small subdural brain bleed, which likely caused Smith to become confused and disoriented. Further evidence revealed that Smith was alone when he entered the lake bottom where investigators found his body in Georges Creek on February 5, approximately a half mile from the construction site on Ballards Way. The medical examiner ruled Smith’s death as accidental drowning. The toxicology report was negative.
Sheriff’s investigators met with Smith’s family following the closure of the case.
“Blake’s death is a sad and unfortunate accident,” Sheriff Berrong said. “From all accounts, he was a Godly and kind young man who had an adventurous spirit and liked to explore, which is likely why he came to Blount County. His life, and death, touched many people, including those of us at the Sheriff’s Office. I am very sad for the family and friends he left behind.”

Wow thanks for posting!

I find it strange still that potentially there was a cinder block on the gas pedal and he wasn’t so disoriented to take a photo and post it before entering the lake. Just moo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member