Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not up to the victim's family whether or not to pursue a homicide case, is it?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

No I don’t believe it is. As family of a victim you don’t get a say in that. I’m still thinking it’s suicide, which is why there is no police investigation. Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar religious background as this kid. My gut instinct is that he didn't commit suicide. Even if he could fake it he believed what he preached and taught. And he'd believe that suicide was damning him to hell. He'd believe that even if he fooled everyone else that God would know what he'd done.

That said, if he did commit suicide or his parents suspected he did they would do their best to hide it or ignore it or choose to ignore the possibility because they don't want to think of their son spending eternity in hell.

These aren't my current beliefs but what I was raised with and very much what I'd assume of a similar background. Suicide isn't just a sad possibility or option. It would be considered worse than your child being murdered.

My upbringing was much the same. However, in recent years, I've noted that folks have begun to come to grips, in some circles, that folks can have serious depression, and that suicide is a result of that. It's not what I'd call acceptable, but, it's becoming more understood (if that makes sense), however, not in ALL circles. With that said, I've known several folks who committed suicide, and I live in a Bible Belt. None have ever went to this kind of forethought, or any forethought, to make it appear it was an accident, or they'd been murdered.

Reading your words are exactly how I was raised and still have it deep inside me. Suicide would be worse than murder.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and convictions about these religious concepts regarding suicide.
No offense to anyone but I have always felt these religious tenets were anything but religious.

I worked for 15 years on an adult, in-patient, locked, psychiatric unit of a regular hospital. Was Charge Nurse for the last 7.

We had countless admissions of suicide attempts. Countless. Their thought processes were so distorted! They had not slept well in days, weeks, or even months.

They had not eaten well in weeks or months. Drastic weight loss amounts. They were often on medications for depression. But those same medications, as well as others, are known to increase suicidal thoughts.

Many of them were dealing with severe, chronic, debilitating physical pain. Arthritis with back pain was a big one. What little sleep they could get would often be interrupted by the pain.

Physical illness: Chronic lung disease, heart disease, thyroid disorders, poorly controlled diabetes, kidney disease, impaired mobility. Any disorder that impacted their daily lives.

Many were Bipolar. A very serious disorder of dramatic mood swings, precipitated by chemical imbalances in their brains. None of us have the power to control the chemical balance in our brain.

Many of them were enmeshed in the throes of grief. Loss of a spouse, child, parent, or significant other. Relationship loss of any type was a common theme.

Sexual orientation issues caused many suicide attempts. Mostly related to the feeling that they were a disgrace to their family by being gay.

Chemical dependency was a factor for many attempts. The inability to stay clean.

No matter the cause, whenever I brought up how badly they would be missed by their loved ones if their suicide attempt had been successful, the most common response was: 'My family would be better off without me. I am a terrible burden on them.'

Every suicide note found at the scene was brought in by EMS and placed in the patient's chart. The greatest majority of them thanked their families for loving them and expressed regret for any hurt they were causing them. They often mentioned what a horrible burden they had been on everyone.

These were not bad people. These were not weak people. They were SICK people. Very ill. Severe depression. The symptoms, in and of themselves, create minefields of risk for suicidal behavior.

No one can think normally with sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, chronic pain, grief, or chemical imbalances in the brain.

We had several chaplains who visited any patient on our unit who requested them. I sat in on quite a few of their visits at the patient's request. The topic of a Supreme Being's opinion of suicide attempts came up quite often.

All of our chaplains told every single patient that the Supreme Being they prayed to would never punish a person for being sick! How could He?

This is my heartfelt belief too from dealing with the mentally ill. If I, a regular person, can feel immense compassion for these people, how much more does a Supreme Being.

Sorry this is so lengthy. It is so close to my heart, I didn't know how to cut it down. I want people to have a better understanding of the tragic illness that causes suicide.

I don't mean to offend anyone either, or come across as trying to tell anyone else what to think. It's an emotional subject, and others don't have to agree with me.

But it truly breaks my heart to think that the mentally ill who attempt suicide have this added burden of religious teachings to be burdened with as well...

JMO

​You know, the more I think about this, the more this makes sense...hypothetically, the parents found out, either through law enforcement, Blake's friends or the school, that he had homosexual leanings, and that he was meeting someone at that park for that reason; whoever he met was probably the cause of his demise, but the parents have decided to not pursue justice, because then Blake's orientation and double life would come out, and the strong Christian witness that they wanted him to be remembered for would be ruined. This makes the most sense to me at this point, but it would be such a shame if the parents did not demand justice for their son's death.

It may have been accidental, in trying to get the vehicle unstuck. He may have even met someone at that home. LE may have even interviewed the person. If that's the case, and B's family was satisfied that it was accidental, then they'd likely not push for more, if they thought he'd met someone there for an amoral* purpose, and it led to his accidental death. They have Bs phone, surely they have most of his stops, texts, and phone calls, on there. I'm still leaning toward freak accident and that LE is giving them their privacy.

*which could be any number of things

Just a thought--the potential homosexuality theory may or may not be true. Regardless of whether it is though, if Blake's family happens to be on this page, those comments likely wouldn't help in their healing process.

Some people have commented about the cinder block on the gas pedal "all night long" and have asked, "How could the car have run that long?" Just because the car was allegedly discovered that way does not mean it had been that way all night. Perhaps it happened hours after (or before) his body went into/was put into the water. Also, even though his cell phone (apparently, per the Life 360 app) indicated that particular location all night does not mean that we know his *car* was there as well.

That kind of car, running steady, in one spot, would run for quite a long while, like that, w/o running out of fuel. Although I'm leaning toward freak accident, my second thought is that he was put into the water at either the Samuel George House location, off Topiside Road, or, on down, at one of the ramps, across from Beal Park. His vehicle was then taken to Bakers Way and left, after an attempt to send it off into the water, went wrong. This would explain why his scent was not found outside the car. Whoever left his car, scattered Bs shoe, beanie, and necklace, that got left in the vehicle, outside the vehicle, just to throw folks off. They didn't take his phone or wallet so it obviously wasn't a robbery.

Thank you, Jazz. Beautifully stated, and I agree. I usually try to share the video, "I jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge", when major holidays start to roll around, along with the suicide hotline number. It can be found on YouTube, under BuzzFeed Video's subscription/page site.

One great thing about Knoxville is that a lot of places there have security cameras. It’s even likely that the construction site had one to prevent theft of materials. Due to this happening during the weekend, many places may have been closed, but I figure PD will check these in the morning.
Is it common for construction sites to have cameras? I'm genuinely asking BTW.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

So sad.
Personally I think this is a suicide and he took the picture so people knew where to find him later (pretty sure I read on here that where he was found is water is connected to this river )
May have taken something (pills?) that limited his abilities /made him groggy and then went to drive car into river...accidentally hit reverse,crashed...
May have lost shoe and beanie on way back out of car and walked over to the river.

Seems too obvious to be a crime scene to me...but you never know I guess

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Is there any mention of him taking medication? What kind of pills are you referring to?

Thank you, Jazz. Beautifully stated, and I agree. I usually try to share the video, "I jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge", when major holidays start to roll around, along with the suicide hotline number. It can be found on YouTube, under BuzzFeed Video's subscription/page site.

Thank you for your kind words, and for telling me about this great video too. So glad I got to watch it. Just wish I had been able to show it to my patients.

It carries such a powerful message!

Feeling so thankful to this man for having the courage to share his experience and hope with others. No telling how many lives he has helped save.

Thank you again so much...

Thank you for your kind words, and for telling me about this great video too. So glad I got to watch it. Just wish I had been able to show it to my patients.

Feeling so thankful to this man for having the courage to share his experience and hope with others. No telling how many lives he has helped save.

First of all, JazzTune, thanks for such a heartfelt and deeply thought-out post. I agree completely! And, rsd and Jazz, I have seen the man from the Golden Gate Bridge story/video in person. He is truly a remarkable man and will help many, as he already has.

Now, I pray that Blake's family can have peace, whatever happened.

First of all, JazzTune, thanks for such a heartfelt and deeply thought-out post. I agree completely! And, rsd and Jazz, I have seen the man from the Golden Gate Bridge story/video in person. He is truly a remarkable man and will help many, as he already has.

Beautifully stated Jazz. You are a truly caring & compassionate person.

Thank you, I am so touched by your thoughtful posts.

Blondie in Spokane, I tried to thank you earlier too, but my post wouldn't go through for some reason. (Plus, your inbox is full.) Want you to know your kindness is so appreciated.

Thank you too Sallye, for yours. That's good to know you've seen the man in person in the video. His story offers much hope...

So sad though for Blake's family. I too pray for peace for them. Losing their son is a tragedy, under any and all circumstances...

My wife took her own life in June 2016. It would have been our second wedding anniversary today. Even though I was very aware that she had been struggling, and we had sought help, I never imagined that she would take her life. I was woken by the police banging on my door to say they had found her body.

People can hide their feelings extremely well, even from those most close to them. I have spent an awfully long time looking back to see if there was anything I missed, anything I should have seen that I didn't. My wife acknowledged her struggles but she convinced me that she wasn't suicidal, that she wouldn't leave me, that we as a couple and our love was worth fighting for. I spoke to her just about an hour before she died and she told me that she loved me. I had no clue, and for a while I was in complete denial that she could have done that.

Now, I am more at peace with what happened. It will never leave me, and there are times I still find it so hard to believe that she ended her life, but I understand now more than I would ever have imagined I would that sometimes you don't know what is going on in another person's mind or soul.

My wife took her own life in June 2016. It would have been our second wedding anniversary today. Even though I was very aware that she had been struggling, and we had sought help, I never imagined that she would take her life. I was woken by the police banging on my door to say they had found her body.

People can hide their feelings extremely well, even from those most close to them. I have spent an awfully long time looking back to see if there was anything I missed, anything I should have seen that I didn't. My wife acknowledged her struggles but she convinced me that she wasn't suicidal, that she wouldn't leave me, that we as a couple and our love was worth fighting for. I spoke to her just about an hour before she died and she told me that she loved me. I had no clue, and for a while I was in complete denial that she could have done that.

Now, I am more at peace with what happened. It will never leave me, and there are times I still find it so hard to believe that she ended her life, but I understand now more than I would ever have imagined I would that sometimes you don't know what is going on in another person's mind or soul.

I’m so very sorry for your loss.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry for your loss. . . but I hope you know that sharing your experience will most likely help countless others cope with similar tragedies from the past, and perhaps even in the future. Thank you so much for sharing. That takes courage.

I'm glad you shared this. The stigma of suicide is still deeply entrenched in our society. I'm amazed at the attitudes still shown on this forum and others like it, despite massive amounts of research on suicide, risk factors and prevention.

We know that frequently those most intent on completing suicide, by necessity, do not seek help and give off little or no "warning signs."

There is loads of research on the stages of pre-suicidal behavior available online, for free, that is fascinating and valuable in furthering our understanding of suicide and mental illness. Yet so often you see people argue that because someone made vague plans at some future date they could not have killed themselves. The suicide stigma is so strong that you'll often see people twist themselves into some pretty bizarre and illogical knots.

You seem to have a much fuller and constructive attitude towards the topic. I'm sure it wasn't easy getting there. Kudos and best of luck to you.

My heartfelt condolences to you. Big hugs [emoji813]

Sent from my Z851M using Tapatalk

I am so sorry for your tragic and devastating loss... No words can possibly soothe any of the sorrow that you live with.

I hope you won't mind that I took the liberty, and sent you a p.m. about this. In it I described a very similar situation with a patient of mine. She too vowed to me she would never make another attempt on her life, and was dead by her own hand 5 days later.

I believe she meant her words to me. At that moment in time.

Just as I believe your wife meant her words to you. Please know it was not your fault. You didn't cause it. You couldn't control it, and you couldn't fix it. You did the best you could.

Depression killed her. As surely as a heart attack or a stroke.

My deepest sympathy to you...

First, heartfelt condolences to you Blef on the loss of your wife. Suicide makes it that much more difficult, but thank you for sharing with us.

I was looking for new articles and updates on Blake's case (there are none), but a few things caught my eye from this article from Feb 9th in the Knoxville News:

"BCSO spokeswoman Marian O'Briant said she could not answer specific questions about the autopsy report and referred questions to the Blount County Medical Examiner's Office and Knox County Regional Forensic Center.

"That's their word, not ours," O'Briant said of the use of the word "accidental." She said she could not provide a general definition of what would qualify as an accidental death."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/07/blake-smith-crown-college-student-d/315775002/

BBM. Hmmm....first of all, the cause of death was preliminary, so still awaiting final autopsy report and toxicology. But most interesting - that BCSO says that the word "accidental" is the Medical Examiner's word not theirs - so does that mean they think Blake didn't die accidentally - that it was suicide or foul play?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and convictions about these religious concepts regarding suicide.
No offense to anyone but I have always felt these religious tenets were anything but religious.

I worked for 15 years on an adult, in-patient, locked, psychiatric unit of a regular hospital. Was Charge Nurse for the last 7.

We had countless admissions of suicide attempts. Countless. Their thought processes were so distorted! They had not slept well in days, weeks, or even months.

They had not eaten well in weeks or months. Drastic weight loss amounts. They were often on medications for depression. But those same medications, as well as others, are known to increase suicidal thoughts.

Many of them were dealing with severe, chronic, debilitating physical pain. Arthritis with back pain was a big one. What little sleep they could get would often be interrupted by the pain.

Physical illness: Chronic lung disease, heart disease, thyroid disorders, poorly controlled diabetes, kidney disease, impaired mobility. Any disorder that impacted their daily lives.

Many were Bipolar. A very serious disorder of dramatic mood swings, precipitated by chemical imbalances in their brains. None of us have the power to control the chemical balance in our brain.

Many of them were enmeshed in the throes of grief. Loss of a spouse, child, parent, or significant other. Relationship loss of any type was a common theme.

Sexual orientation issues caused many suicide attempts. Mostly related to the feeling that they were a disgrace to their family by being gay.

Chemical dependency was a factor for many attempts. The inability to stay clean.

No matter the cause, whenever I brought up how badly they would be missed by their loved ones if their suicide attempt had been successful, the most common response was: 'My family would be better off without me. I am a terrible burden on them.'

Every suicide note found at the scene was brought in by EMS and placed in the patient's chart. The greatest majority of them thanked their families for loving them and expressed regret for any hurt they were causing them. They often mentioned what a horrible burden they had been on everyone.

These were not bad people. These were not weak people. They were SICK people. Very ill. Severe depression. The symptoms, in and of themselves, create minefields of risk for suicidal behavior.

No one can think normally with sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, chronic pain, grief, or chemical imbalances in the brain.

We had several chaplains who visited any patient on our unit who requested them. I sat in on quite a few of their visits at the patient's request. The topic of a Supreme Being's opinion of suicide attempts came up quite often.

All of our chaplains told every single patient that the Supreme Being they prayed to would never punish a person for being sick! How could He?

This is my heartfelt belief too from dealing with the mentally ill. If I, a regular person, can feel immense compassion for these people, how much more does a Supreme Being.

Sorry this is so lengthy. It is so close to my heart, I didn't know how to cut it down. I want people to have a better understanding of the tragic illness that causes suicide.

I don't mean to offend anyone either, or come across as trying to tell anyone else what to think. It's an emotional subject, and others don't have to agree with me.

But it truly breaks my heart to think that the mentally ill who attempt suicide have this added burden of religious teachings to be burdened with as well...

JMO

Thank You JazzTune for this thoughtful and heartfelt explanation of the thoughts of a suicidal person. Over the Holidays, our small town lost 4 people to suicide. They all had loving families and many friends. Our community has been shaken to its core. I have saved your quote as it brings much comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr