TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe,

There are some interesting comments after the article you linked. It is interesting that they weren't afraid enough of the drug dealers not to go home and spend the next few days torturing people.

I think that there needs to be a whole load of new charges at the state level, starting with Boyd and murder charges, and then Sutton for either murder or accessory to murder,

Boyds case has opened a whole can of worms about the involvement of others - including his involvement being not just after the fact

They were carjacked and kidnapped late Saturday night, and she did not die until the Sunday, so I wonder just how long she was kept alive and being abused, and how long it took her to asphyxiate in the trash can,

The state has done a good job in keeping the more gruesome evidence out of the public domain until it was needed to be revealed at trial,

They did do a good job of keeping the worst details out of the media before trial, Joe. I was horrified at what they went through, especially Channon, and to know she was still alive when thrown in the trash. No one deserves to have their lives end that way!

I, too, am baffled by the lack of coverage of this crime. Maybe it is all about ratings? It could be this crime is so horrible that they worry most people will turn the channel rather than hear what this couple went through.

I personally don't care about it being a hate crime - I don't like that terminology for any crime committed. I don't really care what the motivation for the crime was.

I think it is the possibility of being charged that is prompting Sutton to testify, so far she is the only person to have testified about what was going on in the house on the evening of the murders, so she is vital to the case for now,

we shall see how long the 4 with the DP over there heads hold out, and who caves in first to a LWOP in exchange for no DP and then testifies against the others,

I think maybe Coleman will try for a deal, she was very young when the crimes occurred, and she now has 2 choices the DP or LWOP, not great life choices for anybody, the other 3 are hardened to the life of crime/gangs and jail, they may take there chances with a jury,

Same thought re: Coleman.

Sutton's position is a little more interesting (to me, anyway) just from the choices of chess moves perspective If she has been given prosecutorial immunity she may delve into areas she wouldn't otherwise and that might explain why she testifies that she knew of the crime and didn't tell LE. Seems she would have to have both Federal and state immunity to keep TN from using her testimony in Federal court against her in subsequent cases prosecuted under TN law.

Wonder if informing the jurors is required when someone is given immunity from prosecution (Sutton in this case) and testify in Federal court. And what if it were TN immunity only since she may not have committed a violation of US law??

C6

I'm confused as to where they were "car jacked." Were they at an apartment complex? If so, was this the apartment complex of their friends who were expecting them?

I agree with whoever said that you need to do everything possible to keep from allowing criminals from taking you from Point A to Point B, even if it means you get killed at Point A.

This is a HATE CRIME, IMO. You better believe that the black community, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP, the ACLU and everyone else would be blasting this nonstop on the news if the situation were reversed. There would be riots, innocent people hurt and property destroyed if the criminals were not brought to a swift and harsh justice.

I'm confused as to where they were "car jacked." Were they at an apartment complex? If so, was this the apartment complex of their friends who were expecting them?

I agree with whoever said that you need to do everything possible to keep from allowing criminals from taking you from Point A to Point B, even if it means you get killed at Point A.

This is a HATE CRIME, IMO. You better believe that the black community, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP, the ACLU and everyone else would be blasting this nonstop on the news if the situation were reversed. There would be riots, innocent people hurt and property destroyed if the criminals were not brought to a swift and harsh justice.

I agree with everything you said.

I, too, am baffled by the lack of coverage of this crime. Maybe it is all about ratings? It could be this crime is so horrible that they worry most people will turn the channel rather than hear what this couple went through.

I personally don't care about it being a hate crime - I don't like that terminology for any crime committed. I don't really care what the motivation for the crime was.

I feel the same way. I have never understood the whole hate crime philosophy:confused: - as if violence against our brother is ever a product of love!

This case just keeps getting more horrific. These perps manage to make Gary M. Hilton and Darryl Littlejohn look tame!

:eek:

I am astounded at the lack of interest in this trial, I think it could be a case that brings forth many issues society needs to discuss and deal with,

maybe the other trials will get more attention, I don't think they will be filmed though, the evidence is just too graphic that the Judge may decide that no cameras are allowed

I just did a dogpile.com news search. The only news outlets that seem to be covering this trial are the three Knoxville TV stations and the Knoxville News-Sentinel newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme