GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Holy crap! A motion for dismissal? Is this common for the defense to do at the end of state's case?

I know it is extremely unlikely but I took a deep breath when he mentioned it.

Yes, this motion is always made by defense at close of state's case. Defense really HAS to do it to preserve issues for appeal, otherwise an appellat court may just say, "hey, you should have moved for dismissal during the trial." I've seen a few get granted, but those are usually in small cases where a novice prosecutor just screwed up some evidentiary matter. TK and Price are far too good of attorneys for that to happen.

Did anyone else hear the ME say that the entire house was the size of a RV? That is extremely small and with that bedroom not having a door and just a blanket over doorway, I just can not see how VC could claim she didn't hear anything. (and be believed).

Did anyone else hear the ME say that the entire house was the size of a RV? That is extremely small and with that bedroom not having a door and just a blanket over doorway, I just can not see how VC could claim she didn't hear anything. (and be believed).

I wasnt able to hear the testimony this morning, but she could have said that, I think she had said similar things before. the house was pretty small (probably a little bigger than an RV, but not much). But the jist of the comment is correct: there is no way that that abduction, rape, assault, etc went on in that house with Vanessa not being fully aware of what was happening.

The fact that Vanessa is clearly lying about some of things (not holding Channon in the bathroom, the bindings, not hearing anything, the strangulation of Channon, etc) should be considered by the jury. If she is lying, there is a reason, and the only reason to lie at this point is to cover up her own deeper involvement. I still think she helped tie up Channon, keep her hidden at times, and I think she beat/kicked channon.

So how is everyone feeling about this case? Some of these juror questions concern me. For example, all the questions about Daphne and the most recent one about Channon making sounds.

The jury in Thomas' trial convicted him with no DNA and he wasn't part of the original carjacking so that gives me hope..... I believe in Thomas' trial the prosecution said he profited from the crime by riding in Channon's vehicle. I believe Vanesss admitted to riding in the vehicle as well, so she profited off of that and she profited from the items of Channon's she had in her possession.

I'm just scared some jurors aren't going to want to convict and we end up with a hung jury. Also, I'm thinking she won't be convicted of Chris' murder. Eventhough, I do think she should be.

Thoughts?

I just watched the 16 minute video on page 1 of this thread. Very heartbreaking. I don't know how their parents go on. I just texted my daughter at school to tell her I love her.

Any idea when VC will take the stand?

I'm really curious as to how the defense is going to proceed. I hope he yells alot and pisses off the jury and judge. lol

I doubt Vanessa would testify. It would be a disaster for her if she did. I dont know what/if any witnesses the defense will call.

I agree, I doubt Vanessa will be convicted of Chris's murder. There just isnt the evidence to show any connection. I'm unsure about the other charges. She likely will be convicted of the kidnapping of channon, and that could be enough for the conviction of the felony murder of Channon.

So how is everyone feeling about this case? Some of these juror questions concern me. For example, all the questions about Daphne and the most recent one about Channon making sounds.

The jury in Thomas' trial convicted him with no DNA and he wasn't part of the original carjacking so that gives me hope..... I believe in Thomas' trial the prosecution said he profited from the crime by riding in Channon's vehicle. I believe Vanesss admitted to riding in the vehicle as well, so she profited off of that and she profited from the items of Channon's she had in her possession.

I'm just scared some jurors aren't going to want to convict and we end up with a hung jury. Also, I'm thinking she won't be convicted of Chris' murder. Eventhough, I do think she should be.

Thoughts?

So far I'm thinking Guilty of murder of Channon = LWOP
Not Guilty in murder of Chris = nothing

I hope I'm wrong and she gets the Death Penalty!

At the beginning of this trial it was stated that she is planning to testify. Now, whether that has changed or not, I do not know.

today was good testimony for prosecution, anybody in that house had to have known and heard what was happening, and probably witnessed some if not all of the attack in my opinion

defence is going to get into the proposed immunity deal as first witness, the fact it was never signed is a pont the prosecution needs to make, and that it was federal immunity, so it would never have been an issue in state court, unless a Federal immunity agreement trumps state charges

Did anyone hear who was going to be the first witness for the defense? For some reason I thought I heard when Price spoke to the judge that he needed to have a meeting in the judge's chambers or at the bench before "Davidson" testifies. Does anyone know if this is possible? Could Davidson be testifying for Coleman?

I probably heard wrong. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

I heard Davidson too but it must be another Davidson otherwise we would have heard about it, don't you think? I think he is the person that will be talking about the Fed Immunity deal.

McDraw, I think what I heard her say was that the rooms were small, the house was small, much like in a mobile home. I pictured like a trailer instead of an RV.

Did anyone hear who was going to be the first witness for the defense? For some reason I thought I heard when Price spoke to the judge that he needed to have a meeting in the judge's chambers or at the bench before "Davidson" testifies. Does anyone know if this is possible? Could Davidson be testifying for Coleman?

I probably heard wrong. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

I thought I heard "Jennings" but I could have heard wrong.

The state wrapped up its case against torture-slaying suspect Vanessa Coleman this morning.
Jurors were left with gruesome images of slaying victims Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, as the state's final witness was Knox County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan.
Autopsy photos were so gruesome a spectator passed out. A similar reaction came during convicted ringleader Lemaricus Davidson's trial last year.

More at link:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/10/torture-slaying-trial-day-6-state-rests-after-auto/

Photo Galleries »

Vanessa Coleman trial - Monday May 10, 2010

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2010/may/10/vanessa-coleman-trial---monday-may-10-2010/

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Judge - tell jury that in closings. That, he says, is key ? that turns this case

Lavit asks judge toss out case cause "not 1 shred evidence" she solicited, directed or aided "these killers"

I posted a case request on this case in the Forensic Astrology forum and Leomoon graciously did a couple of charts. They are very interesting and are spot on with the evidence. Here is the link to that thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5167535&posted=1#post5167535. The chart confirms that Channon was forced to call her parents and pretend to be okay. It also shows that Vanessa is "easily bored" and craves excitement. Remarkable how that parallels her journal entry describing her time in TN as an adventure!

Thoughts?

As I have written, I was in the courtroom last Wednesday through Friday. The question is whether some jurors will feel sympathy for VC. I'm afraid it may happen. We have noted that some jurors are stuck on Daphne Sutton and may use this as an excuse for voting not guilty on BOTH murders. Another excuse some jurors may seize on is, "The other three have been convicted. Why not let poor Vanessa go?"

TK did a great job in closing argument in the Thomas trial and will use many of the same arguments, especially with criminal responsibility. IMO VC did more to Channon than Thomas did.

David From TN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyH
Back