GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All four verdicts have been overturned. New trials for each.

David In TN

So does that mean their sentences have been overturned as well?

yes, as of now they are all innocent of all the crimes they were once convicted of, and in theory could apply for bail, I don't think they would ever get bail but they can apply if they choose to do so,

I watched the hearing and was horrified at the Judges behaviour, sneaking out to visit a prostitute/girlfriend when the trial was on a break, bartering for drugs in drugs court, and nobody spoke out even though they all knew the judge was impaired and not up to the job

it is horrifying that these defendants will have to be retried but in my opinion it is the correct course of action considering the behaviour of the judge

and these 4 won't be the only ones who will be getting a new trial all defendants who came before him after 2008 will be lining up

when the full report is finally made public I think we will find that these relevations are just the tip of the iceberg,

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/19...s-in-Christian-Newsom-case-granted-new-trials

the pdf file in this article shows just some of the behaviours of the Judge that this new Judge relied on in granting new trials,

and they can only be retried on the charges they were originally convicted on, so this is very good for Vanessa especially, but I do remember that Cobbins and Thomas were not convicted on all the charges - I would have to go look up some old articles to see the exact G and NG verdicts first time round

I bet Cobbins is really hacked off that he chose to testify and now those words can be used against him, he probably never expected to get a second go round

and I am even more hacked off at all the people who noticed the judge was impaired but did not speak up, even though this trial was so high profile and should have been done in the most professional and careful manner

even the prosecutors who did such a great job knew the judge was not up to the job and was often impaired, and did not speak up, I for sure have lost some respect for Leland and TJ for not saying something even if they knew how professionally damaging making allegations about a judge may be they should have spoken out as the victims deserved everybody was up to the job and the defendants should have been tried and forgotten about with nothing left for them to appeal

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/19...s-in-Christian-Newsom-case-granted-new-trials

the pdf file in this article shows just some of the behaviours of the Judge that this new Judge relied on in granting new trials,

and they can only be retried on the charges they were originally convicted on, so this is very good for Vanessa especially, but I do remember that Cobbins and Thomas were not convicted on all the charges - I would have to go look up some old articles to see the exact G and NG verdicts first time round

Thomas was found guilty on every charge. Cobbins was found "not guilty" of Chris' murder but guilty of Channon's and facilitation with Chris. Both Cobbins and Thomas will have LWOP only on the table. Davidson will still face a possible death sentence.

ALL the juries should come from Knox county this time. We've had enough of Baumgartner's methods.

David In TN

Thomas was found guilty on every charge. Cobbins was found "not guilty" of Chris' murder but guilty of Channon's and facilitation with Chris. Both Cobbins and Thomas will have LWOP only on the table. Davidson will still face a possible death sentence.

ALL the juries should come from Knox county this time. We've had enough of Baumgartner's methods.

David In TN

thanks for the reminder, so Cobbins won't even be tried for Chris murder this time round, I can't see it changing the verdicts much - maybe Vanessa will get another break as she did first time round as she too will not even be charged with any murders just facilliatation,

it will take years to get to new trials, I expect they will all want new lawyers who will need to get up to speed with the huge amount of evidence in this case,

I can't see either family being happy with plea deals but the state may wish to offer them as they know that coming steaming down the track is every defendant that Baumgartner presided over at trial from at least 2008 on is going to be getting a new trial, and the system is just going to fall apart, many defendants will be getting sweet deals just to try to keep the courts moving along,

I wonder how many defendants there are, he was running drug court for a while and there must be hundreds from there alone

It is hard to comprehend the damage done by Judge Baumgardner here. Truely unbelievable. My professional opinion is that the defendands should have been required to show actual prejudice to their cases, but it doesnt matter now. I cannot image the pain and continued indignity to the families of Channon and Chris. They have had to endure so much pain: from the loss of their children to the taunting by defendants, the web traffic indignities, and now this.

As an attorney, I am embarassed beyond belief.

After these trials are all over and done with, I Hope Channon & Chris's story gets told in a 2 hour Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery & 20/20 Episode.

It has always amazed me that SO many other crime stories get told on these shows but this one never has.

William N, does your friend and that other author still plan to write a true crime book about this case?

BBM. Definitely a must read. What a creep.

William N, does your friend and that other author still plan to write a true crime book about this case?

The reporter who has covered this case extensively told me in an email several months ago that she would start on her book after the new trials motions were turned down. Now, who knows?

A friend is preparing a book that will have a large segment devoted to this case. I'll have to ask him if his book is on hold.

David IN TN

I understand double jeopardy, but it just irritates me to no end that these defendants can only be retried on the charges they were found guilty of.

I mean, the Judge was found to be ineffective to preside over these cases when it came to the guilty charges, but apparently his presiding over the not guilty charges were considered effective??? (Makes no sense!!!) These laws are so screwed up! Since they all get new trials, I think ALL of the original charges should be up for consideration again! JMO

I understand double jeopardy, but it just irritates me to no end that these defendants can only be retried on the charges they were found guilty of.

I mean, the Judge was found to be ineffective to preside over these cases when it came to the guilty charges, but apparently his presiding over the not guilty charges were considered effective??? (Makes no sense!!!) These laws are so screwed up! Since they all get new trials, I think ALL of the original charges should be up for consideration again! JMO

I could not agree more!! How can anyone even entertain the idea that the judge's incompetence is relevant only to the guilty verdicts? If a judge is under the influence he cannot effectively preside and if that is the basis for new trials it should not be limited only to some of the verdicts.

Our justice system keeps showing its true colors more and more, IMO. And those colors are not pretty.

Can anyone tell me if there is a facebook page for Channon and Chris?

Can anyone tell me if there is a facebook page for Channon and Chris?

There is one for Channon. It's called "Please pray for channon christian"

it's an open group, it currently has 2,226 members.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back