TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Kiki. Looking at chris and channon's injuries, it is impossible that there wasn't an enormous amount of screaming in that house, and VC clearly was there. It is very difficult to know exactly what her role was, but she clearly was an accomplice, if nothing else a guard that helped keep and conceal her when Daphne came over. Some one the other day raised the issue of whether or not perhaps it was Coleman that was responsible for the kicking injuries to channon. That certainly is plausible. And in many ways perhaps makes more sense that the girlfriend of one of the rapists would be the one to inflict those types of injuries. For a long time I sort of let myself believe that she wasn't that involved, that a woman wouldnt do that to another woman. I no longer believe that.

Like I said prairie, I firmly believe they coerced her into silence as well as submission by deceiving her into thinking this would spare her life.:mad: I also believe VC was fully aware and fully participated.

:parrot:

Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to all of you here who keep this thread constantly updated. It is a great help to those of us who are at work and unable to watch the trial.

I hope these families can finally get some justice when the jury (hopefully) decides to deliver the DP.

Hi friend, 12:45 EST

Thanky, thanky, thanky friend.

I didn't sleep very well last night thinking about the trial and worried that the jury will not come through. I'm a worrier by nature. I'm concerned about one juror. I told myself I wouldn't get emotional today, but just reading the posts about the families painful statements were just too much.

You could be right Kiki. I guess we'll never know for sure. I do think Coleman is the one that is really "dumb as 'ell". She probably could have cut a deal with the prosecutor early on in exchange for testimony. Simply because she was a woman and could have played up the "i was scared too" angle. But she kept quiet, made some deal with the feds and thinks she got some sort of immunity. Now while she argues that, her last/only card to play (her testimony against the others) is about to beome useless becuase the other trials will be over soon. Pretty soon she'll realize she has no immunity and that the other trials are over and she is standing all alone. If I remember correct, her family (mom and dad) tried to get her to cooperate.

c2a.jpg

I'm sorry, but in their mug shots VC looks as mean as any of them. I kid you not. I read her interview transcript and found it very difficult to believe she had no clue what was happening. She should never have been granted any sort of immunity IMO.

Hiya Kiki!!! I completely and totally agree about VC, her transcript is the hardest one to read to think that she did NOTHING to help is just inconceivable.

However, IIRC they did initially offer her immunity for her testimony I believe. They even went so far as to offer her Federal Protection, I'm going to see if I can find some of the documents to post here. I think all of this was done BEFORE they had a good grasp as to what exactly her role was there and what exactly were the facts of the case that came out with time. I also, think that something happened at the grand jury testimony that changed things for the prosecution. Of course all of that testimony is sealed, but the timing of the immunity being pulled and VC being charged was right after the grand jury....so the timing on that is key I believe.

Here's one article I found, I know there's the judges ruling saying that he won't throw the case out as well, but at the moment I can't find it????

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/11/judge-declines-dismiss-carjackslayings-charges-aga/

ETA: Found 2 more links for ya!! #1 would be a link to another brief news article about the immunity, and number #2 is the judge's actual ruling on it which explains a little bit more, still not a WHOLE lot of info, but explains a little bit more!! Hope it helps!!
#1 - http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79411
#2 - http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/061109coleman-ruling.pdf

Gutter says he's decided not to testify.

Judge explains the higher economic costs of DP, but says he's on;y telling them so they don't think they'd save the state money by voting DP - it shouldn't influence their decision either way.

Bombshell!! NONE of his family has visited him since he has been in jail.

Wish they would've asked that in the Cobbins trial

Judge telling the jury about the cost study on the DP vs LWOP. Then says "it should have no bearing on your decision." I think that if this issue is addressed on appeal, the appeals court will say that these statements are inappropriate. I see nothing in Tenn. statutes that allows that information to be presented to the jury. Statutes set forth what issues the jury should consider when deciding death vs life, and cost isnt one of them.

None of Gutter's family visited him during his previous prison stay.

His mother appears to have been bipolar. Suicidal.. never got treatment.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: I hope the prosecution brings up in their closing argument in this phase just how CHEAP these subhumans "thought" the lives of Channon and Chris were. I am using the word "thought" loosely here.

LOL, the witness looks a little nervous now that she's being cross examined by Price.

Sorry missed it, what was the levity moment, the 'comic relief?' Sudden outburst of laughter in the court. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member