Found Deceased TN - Constance, 34, Chloe, 12, & Lily Reed, 9, Gatlinburg, 28 Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sounds as if they headed out on foot and got caught up in a whirlwind of fire. I take it her husband must have had the only family vehicle, otherwise I don't know why she wouldn't have tried to drive out instead of fleeing on foot. I also have to assume that the neighbors close-by to where they lived, who were also being evacuated, were unaware this family needed a ride out of there. [snipped]
The whole thing happened much faster than anyone, including officials, could imagine. We are in severe draught. The winds picked up to 80mph gusts unexpectedly, followed by rain later that evening. In fact, if it hadn't rained, believe it or not, the destruction would have been much, much worse. The way I understand it from various news and such, they had one car. Hubby and son went out to take a look when they heard there was fire in the area. Before he could get back, Constance had called to tell him there was fire across the street and she didn't know what to do. By the time father and son made it back up the mountain, fire had completely gutted the house. I never did hear the time frame, but I believe we're talking about several hundred houses burned TO THE GROUND in roughly an hour, maybe two. The neighbors (if there are any close by), wouldn't have had time to check on anybody. The stories and videos from survivors driving out of that hell are truly terrifying. I mean, there is video of people discussing jumping into swimming pools to escape flames. A son leaving behind a mother with a broken hip. Don't look it up if you want to sleep tonight. I sure haven't been sleeping.

We sent a bunch (my business alone collected two vans and five carloads FULL) of emergency shelter supplies over there. The community has really shown up, and they no longer need emergency supplies. Singer Dolly Parton, the largest employer in this once-rural area (Dollywood), is offering $1000 per month per family to "get back on their feet." Of course, her foundation is taking donations. (Can't link due to TOS.) If you've never been, Dollywood is a fabulous theme park for families. Miss Dolly is a true national hero.

Sorry for the long post. Rest in peace, all of those who have passed (13 at last count.)

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...ads-to-gatlinburg-to-search-for-his-mi/ntHnh/

Sounds as if they headed out on foot and got caught up in a whirlwind of fire. I take it her husband must have had the only family vehicle, otherwise I don't know why she wouldn't have tried to drive out instead of fleeing on foot. I also have to assume that the neighbors close-by to where they lived, who were also being evacuated, were unaware this family needed a ride out of there. Mom may have also been under the impression that her husband was going to return and pick them all up, not realizing the roads had been closed. .

Sad situation for everybody.

[video=youtube;FMnkmlrJ9GA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnkmlrJ9GA[/video]

I apologize for the language in the above video. Gatlinburg was our favorite vacation spot. We always rented a cabin for a week in September for Rod Run. I think I would have taken my chances with walking also. The way those roads are curved and what not, I would have felt safer walking.

Here's the entire video. :(

[video=youtube;BpQjKdIR6vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpQjKdIR6vk[/video]

Many ended up fleeing on foot because the roads are narrow and turning, and they could not get out quickly enough by vehicle.

I very strangely had a conversation with someone about this very thing about Gatlinburg this summer. He was from another area of TN, had lived in Gatlinburg for a while and moved back to his hometown after experiencing the frustration of trying to get anywhere in Gatlinburg, especially during tourist season.

Here is the survival story of an 82 year old couple from Gatlinburg, who hiked down the mountain off trail to escape the fire. 82 years old!!!

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/wildfire/couple-82-survive-by-hiking-out-of-fire-on-foot/361663717

80 MPH winds are hurricane force winds. I've never heard of such a thing in the mountains

It was just strange weather that day. We have been extremely dry here in TN since August. Wildfires have been happening pretty regularly since October.

I came into the Knoxville area on a trip from the north around the middle of November, and literally hit a wall of smoke when I merged onto I-40 west from I-81 south. It was still smoky 170 miles later when I got home. What was even scarier was while on I-40, I witnessed someone throwing a lit cigarette out their truck window onto the highway. Total lack on consideration for all life around them as well as the environment.

Local LE in Sevier County is seeking any hikers who may have been out hiking the day the wildfires started near Gatlinburg.

We have vacationed as a family at Dollywood/Sevierville...so very sad.

I'm so sorry for the many losses. The 80 year old couple...just wow!
The husband/father that lost his wife and daughters...so very sad. I am thankful him and his son have each other to help face each and every day after this loss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just had a horrible, gut-wrenching thought. Michael Reed didn't just lose his wife, daughters and home; he lost all of the personal and would-be sentimental belongings of his wife and daughters. Those physical things to hold to and cherish are also gone with almost nothing other than a few digital photos left to hold to. I keep revisiting this thread because this story has touched me like very few others ever have.

I just had a horrible, gut-wrenching thought. Michael Reed didn't just lose his wife, daughters and home; he lost all of the personal and would-be sentimental belongings of his wife and daughters. Those physical things to hold to and cherish are also gone with almost nothing other than a few digital photos left to hold to. I keep revisiting this thread because this story has touched me like very few others ever have.
Oh your right. Even more heartbreaking. I just can't imagine.

Me too.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

The whole thing happened much faster than anyone, including officials, could imagine. We are in severe draught. The winds picked up to 80mph gusts unexpectedly, followed by rain later that evening. In fact, if it hadn't rained, believe it or not, the destruction would have been much, much worse. The way I understand it from various news and such, they had one car. Hubby and son went out to take a look when they heard there was fire in the area. Before he could get back, Constance had called to tell him there was fire across the street and she didn't know what to do. By the time father and son made it back up the mountain, fire had completely gutted the house. I never did hear the time frame, but I believe we're talking about several hundred houses burned TO THE GROUND in roughly an hour, maybe two. The neighbors (if there are any close by), wouldn't have had time to check on anybody. The stories and videos from survivors driving out of that hell are truly terrifying. I mean, there is video of people discussing jumping into swimming pools to escape flames. A son leaving behind a mother with a broken hip. Don't look it up if you want to sleep tonight. I sure haven't been sleeping.

We sent a bunch (my business alone collected two vans and five carloads FULL) of emergency shelter supplies over there. The community has really shown up, and they no longer need emergency supplies. Singer Dolly Parton, the largest employer in this once-rural area (Dollywood), is offering $1000 per month per family to "get back on their feet." Of course, her foundation is taking donations. (Can't link due to TOS.) If you've never been, Dollywood is a fabulous theme park for families. Miss Dolly is a true national hero.

Sorry for the long post. Rest in peace, all of those who have passed (13 at last count.)

So grateful Dolly has done this...I posted this earlier in the "Up to the Minute" thread on the wildfires. This will be REAL, tangible, immediate help for these families.

http://wate.com/2016/12/03/you-are-...-victim-constance-reed-shares-story-of-abuse/

Also, if you haven't seen this, it's a beautiful story of the kind of person Constance Reed was. She was a member of my sister's church (my sister and her husband own a home in Sevier County.)

How far was that from their home? I read somewhere that the husband thought they made it out of the house.
They did. Their address was six something. If you follow Wiley Oakley on street view they got far in the dark with the road on fire. I don't see the 347 house so either it's wrong or new since google was there. So horrible. I can't even imagine...

They did. Their address was six something. If you follow Wiley Oakley on street view they got far in the dark with the road on fire. I don't see the 347 house so either it's wrong or new since google was there. So horrible. I can't even imagine...

Oh I didn't realize it was dark.

I looked at one version on street view and did see a house there. I am familiar with that road. They did make it a very good distance, they were almost to safety, it appears.

Two juveniles arrested for starting the fire. Authorities are not giving much more info, except they were not from the area, but are from TN. (and the blows keep coming).

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/33999293/two-juveniles-arrested-in-gatlinburg-fires

Media had been hinting at it all week. I was truly hoping it was an accident from a campfire not put out well enough.

Deviants thinking they could get away with causing chaos, not once stopping to think what their actions could lead to. Makes me very angry. I pray they charge them as adults with 13 counts of murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia65452
Back