GUILTY TN - CT, 9, Rogersville, 4 May 2016 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Or LE has asked the family not to talk about the specifics of the case anymore (now that she has been found) due to the ongoing investigation, and may have told them speculating or talking to the media about the situation wouldn't be in CT's best interest re charges, prosecution, trial, etc. of GS. This is common IMO once the victim has been found, for the family to go from talking about things to mum as soon as the suspect is in custody. I'm surprised that people would expect the family to speculate and talk to the MSM about his motives now that he's in custody.
Yes, I considered that, but the way it was worded, it didn't sound like she was asked, but just offered that info. I could see the family not wanting to answer a question, or even lying....but to come out and say they have no idea why (on their own), seemed more confirming.

True, but I don't think the family would have had the $ even if it had been 1/2 or a 1/4 that. That's a pretty high bond. There appears to be some concern about suicide. That could be another reason to set it so high - to ensure he can't get out. They want him tried and convicted and most importantly, to talk - not kill himself.
The first days in jail for any new inmate facing a serious felony (like kidnapping or murder) are often put under a suicide watch as standard protocol. This is done as well when inmates get sentenced and are transferred to state prison. It's part of the protocol so they can be fully assessed. Try not to read more into it than it is. A high bond is set because the charge (kidnapping) is a serious felony. They don't want this guy out and they don't want to take the chance he could run away and not face his charges. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

Er ... Weird. I thought it was strange that a guy who'd been talking to reporters a few days' previously just happened to be the one to find them and heroically wield a gun or whatever, but now it turns out he wasn't there at all?

Very strange case.

Wait. What??

CT's dad and family are stating they don't know why she was kidnapped... just because that's what they are stating doesn't mean it's the truth. I'm not calling them liars, I'm just giving a different opinion-
If my child had been kidnapped and made national news like this has done, I wouldn't want to give media any additional information that will further impact her ability to recover and overcome what she has experienced. We all know that what gets put on the internet lives forever. I'd do everything in my power to prevent that information from being made public if possible.
And we don't know that the police haven't told them to keep the information quiet for any # of reasons besides for CT's privacy.

There is a possibility that he was obsessed with her and 'in love' with her, in a creepy way---but did not technically abuse her, physically. Sometimes these creepy pedophiles are in 'romantic love' with their victims but do not have sex with them, per se. But it is still very wrong and very confusing for the children.

not true, well not in my state anyways. county inmates are asked upon booking if they are suicidal. if they don't indicate they are and they seem mostly normal they aren't put in the safety cell.

and state prison inmates are literally loaded onto a bus like a herd of cattle and group assessed upon arrival then they line up and wait their turn for the complete assessment.

The first days in jail for any new inmate facing a serious felony (like kidnapping or murder) are often put under a suicide watch as standard protocol. This is done as well when inmates get sentenced and are transferred to state prison. It's part of the protocol so they can be fully assessed. Try not to read more into it than it is. A high bond is set because the charge (kidnapping) is a serious felony. They don't want this guy out and they don't want to take the chance he could run away and not face his charges. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

Let's look at Tennessee standards.

Now let's look at the news report:

Due to Gary Simpson’s uncertain mental state, the sheriff says his officers put the man in what’s called a “turtle suit” to prevent him from trying to kill himself. The vest makes it impossible for the inmate to use clothes to try and hang himself.

The sheriff expects Simpson will remain on suicide watch for roughly 24 hours.

http://wishtv.com/2016/05/13/tennessee-kidnapping-suspect-on-suicide-watch-in-solitary-confinement/

CT's dad and family are stating they don't know why she was kidnapped... just because that's what they are stating doesn't mean it's the truth. I'm not calling them liars, I'm just giving a different opinion-
If my child had been kidnapped and made national news like this has done, I wouldn't want to give media any additional information that will further impact her ability to recover and overcome what she has experienced. We all know that what gets put on the internet lives forever. I'd do everything in my power to prevent that information from being made public if possible.
And we don't know that the police haven't told them to keep the information quiet for any # of reasons besides for CT's privacy.

A reporter said the family didn't know why the kidnapped her. The aunt said she'd like to ask the why. The dad is not quoted as saying anything other than please give us privacy to let us try to get back to normal.

All I hear in any of that is a wife who is trying to distance herself from a , a reporter who spoke only to the wife who is trying to distance herself from a , and a father who is trying to protect his daughter and asking that folks give her privacy.

Objective facts-- LE is searching the van, including for DNA, and the charges against the will reveal how many and what crimes he committed.

Tennessee Kidnapping/Abduction Laws

Kidnapping is false imprisonment as defined in § 39-13-302, under circumstances exposing the other person to substantial risk of bodily injury.

§ 39-13-302 defines that a person commits the offense of false imprisonment when knowingly removes or confines another unlawfully so as to interfere substantially with the other’s liberty.

Kidnapping is a Class C felony and false imprisonment is a Class A misdemeanor [ii].
-----------------------

Aggravated kidnapping is a Class B felony. Aggravated kidnapping is also false imprisonment, as defined in § 39-13-302, but committed:

• To facilitate the commission of any felony or flight thereafter;
•
• With the intent to inflict serious bodily injury on or to terrorize the victim or another;
•
• Where the victim suffers bodily injury; or
•
• While the defendant is in possession of a deadly weapon or threatens the use of a deadly weapon.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-303
[ii] Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-302

Yes, I considered that, but the way it was worded, it didn't sound like she was asked, but just offered that info. I could see the family not wanting to answer a question, or even lying....but to come out and say they have no idea why (on their own), seemed more confirming.
Since it sounds like that statement came from the wife, it could be she is horrified and in denial and cannot accept the idea of sexual abuse at this point.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm sure the dad is fully aware of her physical condition. It would be a HIPPAA violation to release it to anyone other than who he authorizes.

I know looks can be deceiving, but CT looks like a very happy, healthy, normal, and not traumatized child to me. She doesn't look fearful, I didn't see any hint of terror in her eyes. Perhaps what you all have imagined happened didn't happen to her.

Bond being set high is done because kidnapping is a felony crime. Bond is set to ensure a defendant who is able to secure the $$$ and get out will reappear in court at the time they are required. In this case, the family doesn't have the money to secure a bond, so in jail he'll stay.
I just looked up the Skelton case I referred to upthread and the dad's bond was at 90 million dollars! I never realized kidnapping bonds were so high!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I know looks can be deceiving, but CT looks like a very happy, healthy, normal, and not traumatized child to me. She doesn't look fearful, I didn't see any hint of terror in her eyes. Perhaps what you all have imagined happened didn't happen to her.

Bond being set high is done because kidnapping is a felony crime. Bond is set to ensure a defendant who is able to secure the $$$ and get out will reappear in court at the time they are required. In this case, the family doesn't have the money to secure a bond, so in jail he'll stay.

He is CLEARLY a flight risk. I think an airtight case can be made for that determination.

People have apparently come forward with previous allegations of of sexual abuse. As someone posted you don't make the FBIs 10 most wanted list for nothing. It may take awhile for this young victim to be able to verbalize (any) abuse Some of you I'm sure followed the horrific case in New Hampshire of Abigale H. who was kidnapped for months and months, which is headed to court soon. She was 14 I believe, and it took awhile after she returned home, as well as additional charges to be filed. Additional charges will tell all we are entitled under law to know. This family needs piece and I won't give a thought to possibly thinking anything other than what the TBI is implying. Nope, they know more than I do and who am I to say to give him a defense/pass or change the ending of what happened? I'm will wait for additional charges. JMVHO

I cannot believe the amount of people who are GS sympathizers! Not only is the writing on the wall, the police clearly stated that it is downright INSULTING to suggest he was off for a sweet uncle-niece getaway. I worked in mental health working with adults with intellectual disabilities for 16 years. This is not that. You don't prepare for a trip, lie to a school, kidnap a child because you have diminished intellectual capacity. He didn't show back up at home with a fishing pole and the little girl, he had to be hunted down and held at gunpoint! What in the world is happening here.

All things considered, she was found as well as could be hoped for---- meaning she wasn't dead, number one. She wasn't beaten to a pulp. She was clinging to her teddy bear. She probably wasn't starving. But you can believe that her scars run a whole lot deeper than what is visible. This child just lived through incredible trauma. I cannot sit by and allow her abuser to be glorified, like some "off", but kind, uncle. This is why abuse victims don't come forward. Even when presented with immense information and evidence, people downplay the abuse and it shames the victim. SHE is the victim. Not him. HE is in jail right now. That in and of itself tells you it wasn't some misunderstanding.

I will shut up now, but I am completely annoyed for CT and whomever is innocent in her family right now.

" Thanks" was not enough. It worries me and makes my stomach churn when I hear people imply his intentions were anything but evil. Those are the type of people that either don't believe a child when they work up the extreme courage to admit what happened to them, or participate in that kind of evil. I feel sick!!!!

She was the exception. Most victims names are redacted once they are found alive.

Some can't be because they were missing for so long or under such extreme circumstances that the case is a household name. Like Elizabeth, Jaycee and Shasta.

And some choose not to have their name redacted. But it's standard that for a case like this the name is redacted if sexual assault occurred. You will see lots of initials in the located forum of WS.

Here are a couple from recently:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...son-17-April-2016&highlight=redacted+initials

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?305530-NC-KH-13-Asheboro-April-2016

If she was assaulted yes, they will stop using her name. It's less about people forgetting and more about it not coming up so easily in a Google search.

Can you imagine if her family moves and her new classmates googled her name? Or if this came up when she tried to get a job and they googled her? It's her right to either put it behind her or speak about it as she chooses. :twocents:

I'm just catching up on posts from today so sorry this is a late reply but...

AH, a case I followed on here quite closely, still has her name and picture all over the web with the information about her abduction and torture. I am sure that the amazing PR help she received while missing did everything they could to have her name redacted from every piece of news once she returned home...to no avail. WS redacted her name and took her pictures down but MSM did not. I'm not sure what the SOP is with MSM but, in my opinion, just because you are a minor and you ask for it to be taken down doesn't mean it will be taken down.

On the evening of Thursday, May 12, two Hawkins County residents, Stuart Franklin and Donnie Lawson, searched their property as instructed by TBI. They found Simpson and Carlie off a trail that is only accessible by 4-wheelers. The two tied up Simpson with a belt and held him at gunpoint until authorities could arrive.

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Rescuers-of-Carlie-Trent-to-get-reward-money-379447331.html

I'm confused. The video said that one of the men had seen the van, and called the other man who he knew had a gun to go with him, that's when they found GS and CT. One of the men left the barn with CT while the other stayed with GS. They had no cell service and had to go to a house to call 911.

BUT, Carpenter isn't mentioned as being there, or finding the van.... I'm thankful for all 4 of the men that were searching! I don't like when someone tries to get credit for something that didn't happen though.

This case has broken my heart and never have I cried over a child I didn't know as much as this one. Missing children always get me but this was the hardest.

I think it's because my daughter was sexually abused by someone we considered family and it came to light when my daughter was the same age as CT. Just knowing what she is going through and will have to go through breaks my heart. I pray she gets the help she needs because I've seen with proper therapy a child can go back to being happy and I've seen people who didn't get therapy have hard lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu
Back