TN TN - Dennis Martin, 6, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 14 June 1969

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was the other case involving the Green Berets the Trenny Lynn Gibson disappearance?

I have always believed Dennis just got lost. I tend to think maybe Trenny did too, but then there is the matter of her scent being tracked to a roadway by three different dogs, so I'm kind of 60% she got lost and 40% abduction.

I find the accounts of the searches and the differing theories interesting, for myself I don't know what to believe. :fence:

There were several different government entities searching for MArtin.
Michael Bouchard is a current police officer from Connecticut who wrote a book about the case here at https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Searching-Mountains-Dennis-Martin-ebook/dp/B01N7NU9YY

He sent me some files he received from what I believe is the National Park Service about the searches in the case.
It even mentions the name of a person of interest in the case as well as the psychics that were consulted.

It is on this page https://savagewatch.com/southern-cases-2/

The last line of the first story has the link to 85 pages in pdf format.under the text 1969 Dennis Martin File NPS files

I became interested in this case after reading about Jaryd Atadero. I think the same theories apply in this case. He was either taken by a predator (mountain lion), abducted by a human being, or died by accident. In both cases, agency involvement made for more questions than answers. Secrecy and lack of information always breeds suspicion.

The father as well as the ranger traversed the distance to make the Key sighting credible and were able to verify it was possible. There are always watchers in the woods whether they are animals or humans.

My intuition tells me that Dennis was more than likely missing for longer than 5 minutes from his father's sight. His father was engaged in conversation and that 5 minutes could have easily been 10+. The average a 10-year-old in good health can run a mile is at max 12 minutes. Dennis was 6, so let's say he could do it in 25 minutes. Meaning in roughly 12 minutes he could make it half a mile. Being this is the forest and not a straight run, let's say he possibly could have made 1/4 mile in 12 minutes. Thus, if he had been missing say 10 minutes .... he would have made some good ground. A lot can happen in that 1/4 mile to a 6 year-old. Plus, in the dense forest sound would be obscured for a number of reasons. He may never have heard his father calling. His father never have heard him calling. If an animal or person had been watching this child, this was the perfect time to attack/grab him. He had no chance. It also would be the "perfect storm" for him to have an accident that leads to his death.

The fact that many of the searchers weren't trained to search as well as the constant raining, hindered this investigation almost immediately. The mention of the Green Beret involvement does intrigue me. The secrecy surrounding their presence as well as the fact they were well-armed, speaks volumes in the consideration that this was a human abduction. Dennis never left that National Park.

I do hope that one day there is definition evidence of what happened to this sweet little boy. His family deserves that much. Sadly, his father died before knowing the truth. However, they get to be together in Heaven, so they are both at peace together.

The father as well as the ranger traversed the distance to make the Key sighting credible and were able to verify it was possible. There are always watchers in the woods whether they are animals or humans.

My intuition tells me that Dennis was more than likely missing for longer than 5 minutes from his father's sight. His father was engaged in conversation and that 5 minutes could have easily been 10+. The average a 10-year-old in good health can run a mile is at max 12 minutes. Dennis was 6, so let's say he could do it in 25 minutes. Meaning in roughly 12 minutes he could make it half a mile. Being this is the forest and not a straight run, let's say he possibly could have made 1/4 mile in 12 minutes. Thus, if he had been missing say 10 minutes .... he would have made some good ground. A lot can happen in that 1/4 mile to a 6 year-old. Plus, in the dense forest sound would be obscured for a number of reasons. He may never have heard his father calling. His father never have heard him calling. If an animal or person had been watching this child, this was the perfect time to attack/grab him. He had no chance. It also would be the "perfect storm" for him to have an accident that leads to his death.

The fact that many of the searchers weren't trained to search as well as the constant raining, hindered this investigation almost immediately. The mention of the Green Beret involvement does intrigue me. The secrecy surrounding their presence as well as the fact they were well-armed, speaks volumes in the consideration that this was a human abduction. Dennis never left that National Park.

I do hope that one day there is definition evidence of what happened to this sweet little boy. His family deserves that much. Sadly, his father died before knowing the truth. However, they get to be together in Heaven, so they are both at peace together.
Snipped and EBM

I agree with much of what you say, but I disagree with your conclusions regarding the green berets. First of all, what secrecy? Their participation doesn't seem to have been much of a secret. Moreover, even if government officials suspected an abduction, that doesn't say anything about what actually happened: their theory could as easily have been wrong as right. The point is probably moot because I don't think abduction was ever their main theory. That they conducted such an intensive search tells me that they hoped to find Dennis alive.

As a direct result of failing to find Dennis, some officials may have opted to consider abduction rather than accept the reality that their search was inadequate. We now know that searchers often drastically underestimate how far a lost person might travel. Many people who have wandered off have subsequently been found (sometimes alive, sometimes not) far outside the search area. In this case, the search area was 56 square miles--that's roughly 7.5 miles by 7.5 miles. That's nothing. Dennis could have been outside that search area within a couple of hours, maybe sooner.

The father chose to believe in the abduction theory because that essentially absolved him and his other sons of guilt. It couldn't be that they weren't watching six-year-old Dennis closely enough, no--it must have been some bad person's fault. (Never mind that they were essentially in the middle of nowhere.)

Even today searches can be intensive yet unsuccessful. Hiker Geraldine Largay died in her tent two or three miles from where she was last seen. Her body was found two years later. Search dogs came within 100 feet of her campsite during the initial search efforts yet failed to locate her.

As for the Key sighting, there was no sighting of Dennis. Have you ever heard an owl kill a rabbit? I have, and that's a blood-curdling scream. (Moreover, I've never heard of a case where a child abducted by an adult was known to scream at the time of the abduction let alone an hour later. Children are usually too afraid to do anything but comply quietly.) The boy who saw a man leaving the woods may have seen a poacher, or he might have had an overactive imagination.

I believe we have something close to definitive evidence in the testimony of the ginseng hunter. He had no reason to lie and every reason not to cone forward at all. The skeleton he saw was surely Dennis. Unfortunately, I don't believe there would be anything left at this point. Even Dennis's baby teeth would have decayed by now. He might have had a couple of his adult incisors, and there could have been some plastic buttons on his clothing. Good luck finding those in the middle of the Smoky Mountains.

I enjoy a good mystery as much as anyone, but there's no mystery here. There hasn't been since 1985 when the ginseng hunter came forward.

Last edited:
Thank you for your insight @Ozoner - I don't believe the "sickening scream" they heard would have actually been from a child. My first thought would be a mountain lion and yes, rabbits scream horribly when being killed by an owl.

I have considered the ginseng hunter's testimony. However, this can't be verified. It just isn't a strong enough argument for me to believe it. There are a lot of reasons people claim/confess things that never happened.

In the Jaryd Atadero case, all that was found 3.5 years later was a skull cap, clothing and a tooth. Obviously after over 40+ years, the odds aren't in favor of ever finding any evidence of Dennis.

Snipped and EBM

I agree with much of what you say, but I disagree with your conclusions regarding the green berets. First of all, what secrecy? Their participation doesn't seem to have been much of a secret. Moreover, even if government officials suspected an abduction, that doesn't say anything about what actually happened: their theory could as easily have been wrong as right. The point is probably moot because I don't think abduction was ever their main theory. That they conducted such an intensive search tells me that they hoped to find Dennis alive.

As a direct result of failing to find Dennis, some officials may have opted to consider abduction rather than accept the reality that their search was inadequate. We now know that searchers often drastically underestimate how far a lost person might travel. Many people who have wandered off have subsequently been found (sometimes alive, sometimes not) far outside the search area. In this case, the search area was 56 square miles--that's roughly 7.5 miles by 7.5 miles. That's nothing. Dennis could have been outside that search area within a couple of hours, maybe sooner.

The father chose to believe in the abduction theory because that essentially absolved him and his other sons of guilt. It couldn't be that they weren't watching six-year-old Dennis closely enough, no--it must have been some bad person's fault. (Never mind that they were essentially in the middle of nowhere.)

Even today searches can be intensive yet unsuccessful. Hiker Geraldine Largay died in her tent two or three miles from where she was last seen. Her body was found two years later. Search dogs came within 100 feet of her campsite during the initial search efforts yet failed to locate her.

As for the Key sighting, there was no sighting of Dennis. Have you ever heard an owl kill a rabbit? I have, and that's a blood-curdling scream. (Moreover, I've never heard of a case where a child abducted by an adult was known to scream at the time of the abduction let alone an hour later. Children are usually too afraid to do anything but comply quietly.) The boy who saw a man leaving the woods may have seen a poacher, or he might have had an overactive imagination.

I believe we have something close to definitive evidence in the testimony of the ginseng hunter. He had no reason to lie and every reason not to cone forward at all. The skeleton he saw was surely Dennis. Unfortunately, I don't believe there would be anything left at this point. Even Dennis's baby teeth would have decayed by now. He might have had a couple of his adult incisors, and there could have been some plastic buttons on his clothing. Good luck finding those in the middle of the Smoky Mountains.

I enjoy a good mystery as much as anyone, but there's no mystery here. There hasn't been since 1985 when the ginseng hunter came forward.

I agree,

The mystery was closed when the ginseng hunter found the child's skeleton. Those were Dennis's remains. I honestly think that we wondered away from camp and got lost, dying of exposure to the elements, probably on that first night. He also could have slipped and fallen somewhere, leading to instant death or such serious injury leading to death.

I also posted before that I never believed the kids story of telling Dennis to go the other way so that he wouldn't be spotted in spooking the adults as a prank. I think Dennis had developmental special needs, and the older kids were picking on him, or just didn't want him around and told him to "Get Lost." They never said that to the adults because of the sheer horror of that's what really happened. So they made up the story that "We told Dennis to go the other way, so he wouldn't be seen sneaking up on the parents." But deep inside, that probably bothered them to this day. I mean these were like nine year old kids and a six year old. What else would little kids do in that situation?

Satch

I agree,

The mystery was closed when the ginseng hunter found the child's skeleton. Those were Dennis's remains. I honestly think that we wondered away from camp and got lost, dying of exposure to the elements, probably on that first night. He also could have slipped and fallen somewhere, leading to instant death or such serious injury leading to death.

I also posted before that I never believed the kids story of telling Dennis to go the other way so that he wouldn't be spotted in spooking the adults as a prank. I think Dennis had developmental special needs, and the older kids were picking on him, or just didn't want him around and told him to "Get Lost." They never said that to the adults because of the sheer horror of that's what really happened. So they made up the story that "We told Dennis to go the other way, so he wouldn't be seen sneaking up on the parents." But deep inside, that probably bothered them to this day. I mean these were like nine year old kids and a six year old. What else would little kids do in that situation?

Satch

Thanks for mentioning that, Satch. It never rang true for me either, I remember what it was like being the youngest to my older sister and cousin and they were usually mean to me when we were all together. I actually believe the older boys were playing a trick on Dennis. I wonder if they purposely told him to go the wrong way perhaps not realizing the consequences.

I agree,

Satch

Correction: Above should read- "I honestly think that he wondered away from camp and got lost."

Satch

VERY long article...below SBM

June 14 marks 50 years since a grinning Dennis Lloyd Martin darted across the Tennessee line and out of his family’s sight during a weekend camping trip.

He never came home. Nearly 1,500 searchers — from park rangers and FBI agents to backcountry hunters and Green Berets — combed a stretch of nearly 60 square miles and walked away empty-handed.

Lessons learned and mistakes made in the failed search have become textbook training for rescuers and outdoorsmen the world over. But not a single verifiable trace of the boy has come to light in the decades since.

Missing in the Smokies: Dennis Martin's disappearance still haunts park, 50 years later

VERY long article...below SBM

June 14 marks 50 years since a grinning Dennis Lloyd Martin darted across the Tennessee line and out of his family’s sight during a weekend camping trip.

He never came home. Nearly 1,500 searchers — from park rangers and FBI agents to backcountry hunters and Green Berets — combed a stretch of nearly 60 square miles and walked away empty-handed.

Lessons learned and mistakes made in the failed search have become textbook training for rescuers and outdoorsmen the world over. But not a single verifiable trace of the boy has come to light in the decades since.

Missing in the Smokies: Dennis Martin's disappearance still haunts park, 50 years later

All should read the above article! It is the best and most detailed about the Dennis Martin Case I have seen! Many leave out the "Ginseng Hunter" skull story. This is the very first time EVER that I have read about Ranger McCarter talking about a terrible dying scent on the trail. I can tell you this, there's no way that this was an animal. It very sadly was likely Dennis Martin's remains. Decaying human flesh is one of the worst smells imaginable. It is really the smell of death and there's nothing else as unpleasant as this. The strong scent seems to correspond to close proximity to where the shoe print was found. But the stench on the trail and the bones discovered by the Ginseng Hunter now leave no doubt in my mind. Dennis Martin either got lost, or more likely fell into or down something that injured him badly or killed him, making it impossible for him to cry out for help. This is also the first article that says how fast Dennis was at running and how "adults could not keep up with him." This was a little kid that fell, running through the dangerous forest and mountains and suffered a terrible fate due to injury. Dennis Martin died of his injuries and from exposure to the elements.

Satch

All should read the above article! It is the best and most detailed about the Dennis Martin Case I have seen! Many leave out the "Ginseng Hunter" skull story. This is the very first time EVER that I have read about Ranger McCarter talking about a terrible dying scent on the trail. I can tell you this, there's no way that this was an animal. It very sadly was likely Dennis Martin's remains. Decaying human flesh is one of the worst smells imaginable. It is really the smell of death and there's nothing else as unpleasant as this. The strong scent seems to correspond to close proximity to where the shoe print was found. But the stench on the trail and the bones discovered by the Ginseng Hunter now leave no doubt in my mind. Dennis Martin either got lost, or more likely fell into or down something that injured him badly or killed him, making it impossible for him to cry out for help. This is also the first article that says how fast Dennis was at running and how "adults could not keep up with him." This was a little kid that fell, running through the dangerous forest and mountains and suffered a terrible fate due to injury. Dennis Martin died of his injuries and from exposure to the elements.

Satch

I am 95% sure that the above is what occurred in this case. I can't go up to 100%. We will probably never know for sure what exactly happened to Dennis Martin, as he, nor his remains was never found. However, that article is as close to solving this case as we are ever going to come. Very well researched!

Satch

I am 95% sure that the above is what occurred in this case. I can't go up to 100%. We will probably never know for sure what exactly happened to Dennis Martin, as he, nor his remains was never found. However, that article is as close to solving this case as we are ever going to come. Very well researched!

Satch
I can go up to 99.99% on injury or exposure. There's always a 0.01% chance that he got hungry and ate something poisonous; that's the only reason I can't go up to 100%.

Thank you for your blog and copies of the original news articles, crimeblogger. Very thorough and informative.
I either didn’t realize or had forgotten the foot prints found, one shoe on and one off, three days after Dennis disappeared. Searchers stated due to rain the prints had to have made since Sunday.
Also mentioned is there were a lot of black bears and wild hogs in the area, and copperheads and rattlesnakes.

The tips called in by psychics is also interesting.
Out Of Sight: Dennis Lloyd Martin

There were several different government entities searching for MArtin.
Michael Bouchard is a current police officer from Connecticut who wrote a book about the case here at https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Searching-Mountains-Dennis-Martin-ebook/dp/B01N7NU9YY

He sent me some files he received from what I believe is the National Park Service about the searches in the case.
It even mentions the name of a person of interest in the case as well as the psychics that were consulted.

It is on this page Southern Cases 2

The last line of the first story has the link to 85 pages in pdf format.under the text 1969 Dennis Martin File NPS files

I apologize if this has previously been discussed but is anyone curious where page 9 is in the NPS files? I’m doing research on Dennis Martin for my podcast. While doing my research I found that page 9 is not there at all! I am curious if someone has another link to these files that may have the missing page and what is on this page, why is it missing?

I apologize if this has previously been discussed but is anyone curious where page 9 is in the NPS files? I’m doing research on Dennis Martin for my podcast. While doing my research I found that page 9 is not there at all! I am curious if someone has another link to these files that may have the missing page and what is on this page, why is it missing?

Wish I could help you there. I was looking for the person of interest mentioned by savagewatch, haven’t found it . But there are so many pages I don’t have to go through with a fine toothed comb. Anyone else able to find it? And, if they were a person of interest can we not post it here? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back