TN TN - Disappearances in the Great Smokey Mountains

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Marilynilpa Wonderfull link to read.. That one of the best wrote story of a true search and rescue team and how they work in real life I seen..

One of the most sad site any S&R team member can see is a Turkey Vulture or Buzzards circling overhead somewhere then you got maybe if you lucky a 75% wild kill or 25% sad news to break to someone..

S&R work is nothing like you see on some TV show type of S&R for drama..Plus its very hard work too. Everything from bee stings, insects and very close encounters with snakes or bears..It sure not as fun and everything is fine at the end of the day as they show on TV..

A other thing we need to look out for during spring to fall season is the growing large cash crop of Pot Growers.. They will not be right on the well travel trails but off into hidden hard to reach spots.. But they will be very close to a water supply..

I feel this long shot unless men been in wood's months at a time.. But we do need to look at all angles

I myself ran into fish hooks at eye level glad I am extra tall and other traps set-up's.. You start run into these signs it best to back track your way from the area.. Some traps are deadly such as pipe-shotgun shell's..

Your right about seeing voltures doing circles in the air is a dead give away something has died or is about to..I know that a crop needs a water supply and that use to be how they were caught but now they will run a few hundred feet of hose and dig a shallow trench and burry all the hose except the part that is right in the river or creek. Personally i could see something like this happening if they came upon a crop in like mexico where thats how they live but not where they were plus if it was drug people they would have taken all of them not just the kids Icant remember how old they were but they were kids i believe so who is to say they would even know what a pot plant even looks like...I said in a earlier post it would be really helpfull and interesting if thier was a documentry on these cases but i dont think there is one...

There is much more to the Paula Welden case. Paula hitchhiked her way to the Long Trail and may have attempted to hitchhike back to Bennington College. The Connecticut State Police (the agency responsible for much of the investigation since Vermont didn’t have a state police department at the time) were suspicious of a man who was one of the last to see her. He was in a jealous rage with his girlfriend as Paula walked by them on the upper portion of Harbour Road. He left and drove up the Long Trail by himself in the direction she was walking. He lied several times to investigators about his whereabouts that day. With no crime scene or body, there was little the police could do. I doubt she ran away, and doubt she continued up the Long Trail into the woods. She was intelligent and an experienced hiker. Paula appears to have been scoping out the area for a future hike with friends, nothing more. This case is given extensive treatment in the book, Clueless in New England: the unsolved disappearances of Paula Welden, Connie Smith and Katherine Hull.

Oh I just have a few things to add...first off, mountain lions weren't eradicated. They might have been rare, but I can remember as a little girl, this would have been about 1971 or 1972 we all were woke up in the middle of the night by what my mother thought was a crying baby. They thought someone had dumped an infant n the woods across from us. Other neighbors had woke up too, I can remember us all standing outside and the men getting lights and rifles to go look. It was a mountain lion and they all saw it but no one got a shot in.
This was at the foot of the appalacians.

The other thing is that Gary...Hilton probably killed how knows how many people in that area.
I don't know how OLD he was or how long he operated, but I ran into him one night at a small airport late at night and he was the only one there except a guy that was working and like, ok, until I tried to get directions from him, and it seemed like once he knew I was lost, he went psycho on me. That's why I remembered him so well - he scared me so bad I ran to my truck and slammed the door with him coming after me. It scared me so bad, and my son who was in the truck.

Anyone that would get lost in the woods and ask that man for directions - he probably did murder them. No telling how long he killed people in the parks.

Oh I just have a few things to add...first off, mountain lions weren't eradicated. They might have been rare, but I can remember as a little girl, this would have been about 1971 or 1972 we all were woke up in the middle of the night by what my mother thought was a crying baby. They thought someone had dumped an infant n the woods across from us. Other neighbors had woke up too, I can remember us all standing outside and the men getting lights and rifles to go look. It was a mountain lion and they all saw it but no one got a shot in.
This was at the foot of the appalacians.

The other thing is that Gary...Hilton probably killed how knows how many people in that area.
I don't know how OLD he was or how long he operated, but I ran into him one night at a small airport late at night and he was the only one there except a guy that was working and like, ok, until I tried to get directions from him, and it seemed like once he knew I was lost, he went psycho on me. That's why I remembered him so well - he scared me so bad I ran to my truck and slammed the door with him coming after me. It scared me so bad, and my son who was in the truck.

Anyone that would get lost in the woods and ask that man for directions - he probably did murder them. No telling how long he killed people in the parks.

That is scary! Could you please describe how he went "psycho" on you? I can't help it, I am curious! I am glad that you followed your instinct to get outta there fast!

as i said mountian lions will allways be there there called the ghost for a reason...

I too have had a experience like what u described as a baby in the woods now iam no where near the apalacian trail but in my case the people in the camp ground 50 plus i would say that some were still awake some awoke as is echoed across the river to where we are .I remember saying theres a baby out there and no one was over on that side of the river it was just woods but the guy i was with a friend of the familly he was a hunter i was just about 8 maybe but him and quite a few other people settled everyone down by exsplaining its just a jackell and or coyote when they make a kill they make sounds like that as they steel it from one another depending on where u are when u hear it sometimes you will swear they are laughing other times they make a sound that so resembles a babys cry ...it was pretty un nerving i know that...farmers hate them because they will steel a chicken or turkey and when running away they make that sound i think its excitment but farmers thing thier laughing at them lol...

My mom has always talked about the disappearance of little Dennis Martin. He disappeared just days before I was born. She worries about what happened to him to this day. He disappeared in an area of Cades Cove. Lots of tourists are through this area of the park yearly.

I was looking of the doenetwork when I found out about Trenny and Pauline. Now I can't pass Clingmans Dome without thinking of Trenny. The area that Trenny disappeared is also an area many tourist would be near. Highway 441 goes right by the turnoff to Clingmans Dome. This road connects Gatlinburg and Cherokee, NC.

I don't know where Pauline was hiking. It is on the NC side of the park, I believe.

I can tell you that I had a scary experience on one of the trails in the park one time that involved being very closely followed. My hiking partner and I were very frightened by those men. I believe the only thing that saved us was that we spotted more hikers a few hundred feet away. I rather loudly said something to the effect of "hey, here come some more people". The men who were following us took off up the side of the mountain. We didn't stick around to see where they went.

I would love to know what happened to these people. Thanks for mentioning the book. I will have to track down a copy.

You might be interested to listen to the Coast To Coast AM interview with David Paulides from June 24th, 2012. He goes into great detail on the Martin case, he's actually the reason I joined this site. The abridged version is that there's a number of inexplicable things connected to the Martin disappearance, including reports of a large, black-haired hominid in the woods, and the Green Berets showing up to "search."

Interesting that this will be my first post to this forum when it's a case that is long cold and probably rarely remembered, but I just got back from a vacation in the Smokies, and have thoughts.

I was reading about Trenny Gibson's disappearance the night before I walked the same trail to Andrew's Bald, so it was uppermost in my mind as I walked. She disappeared from the trail on a school trip and it was thought she either fell, wandered off or was abducted.

The abduction scenario is now on the bottom of my list after visiting the trial. It's a trail that begins and ends in the parking lot to Clingman's Dome, which is an extremely busy area. Now, I try to never dismiss an idea or get fixated on only one, as that leads to tunnel vision and makes me no use to any mystery. So an abduction COULD have happened, but I feel like it would have had to have happened in the parking lot, not on the trail, and it would have had to have been an impulsive snatch. After all, killers take vacations too. Trenny seemed a bit of a handful to raise, and very friendly. If a guy realized he could get her in his car easily, he might have gone for it. But having her schoolmates and teachers all around, and the fact that he would have then had to drive down miles of mountain roads at low speed makes that seem... really risky.

Being abducted from the trail itself seems impossible. The trail runs along the side of a steep mountain. If you step off the trail at all you are either immediately climbing steeply up, or you're sliding downwards. There are no even parts (except very close to the bald, but then it quickly gets steep again) and bushwacking off trail is very, very difficult. More so, I would imagine, if you're trying to drag a teenager along with you.

My gut feeling is that, because of the steepness of the trail, she somehow stepped off for some reason and then couldn't get back on. If she needed to go to the bathroom, or she wanted to smoke something, whatever. Your choice would be to go up or down, and statistics show most people go down. The problem is, once you start down, it's so steep that you could easily slip and just keep sliding. OR, even if you don't slide, once you get far enough off the trail, trying to get back up the slope TO the trail would be horrific. You would literally have to crawl up the slope, grabbing the trees with your hands to help lift you up. If you don't have much upper body strength, you'd very, very quickly get tired.

You could also easily slide down to the drainage at the bottom without hurting yourself too severely. Sound doesn't carry far there either. We couldn't hear other hikers on the trail until they were almost upon us. It just gets swallowed by the trees and the immensity of the area.

Once you're down in the drainage it would be difficult to impossible to climb back up again. And you'd be easily disoriented. The only thing you can see is the top of the trees above you. You cannot see any distance at all. You can't even see nearby hills. And the hills are endless. Once you started up the wrong slope toward open wilderness, you'd be done for.

I honestly think she deliberately stepped off the trail, slid down, got disoriented and walked away. Then she probably did what all the others before have done. She curled up in some little place to stay warm and died of exposure.

But who knows? It was such an intriguing mystery to think about as I hiked. I kept scanning the trail as if I might find signs of her, despite that fact that decades have passed since she disappeared. My mother and I both occasionally asked: "Where are you, Trenny?" while we hiked. It was sort of bittersweet.

I also think Trenny's disappearance is very fascinating because there are so many theories about it, but I sadly think it is one that will remain unsolved. (Does anyone know by any chance the temp in the mountains the night she vanished?)
Not to be gross, but if she curled up and died of exposure, her remains may never be found because an animal could have eaten it or dragged it elsewhere.

Yeah, I think the only way it will ever be solved is if Trenny's body is eventually found. These cases in the Smoky Mountains are just so fascinating because the people are there one minute and then gone the next, and then no trace of them is ever found. It just happens that quickly.

I don't know the exact temperature that night, but most accounts say it reached the freezing mark. I was on the same trail on almost the same day as Trenny was, albeit 36 years later, and it was cool. There was a brief time during the afternoon, in the sun, where it got warm enough to shed our jackets, but otherwise we wore long pants, wool socks, long-sleeve shirts and jackets. After dark it got cold enough to see our breath.

I bought a book in the gift shop written by a guy on the SAR team for the Smokies, and it's amazing how hard it really is to find people there, even when you know generally where they are. They end up walking past the bodies time and time again, even with dogs, when it's snowing out. Sometimes it's only luck that leads them to the lost person.

I definitely think she could have died of exposure then. People get lost in places like this all the time, except usually there's something to show what became of them. I her case, it's like someone picked her up from the sky or something!
There are many cases where people go missing in the mountainous regions, but in some of those it sounds like a kidnapper was using the mountain regions as a hunting ground.
(Nyleen Kay Marshall's case-vanished in the MT Elkhorn Mts while on a picnic with family in '83. She has never been located, but it sounds more like someone took her then she got lost). There are many others, but I just can't remember them at the time!

Around 1994 a group of school students got lost in the park and were quickly found, I thought it odd when a spokesman stated that they'd be free to leave after they were DEBRIEFED. It's a national park why would you need to be debriefed? What was there to see? I know there's a biosphere there. Also in and around the Gatlinburg area there are reports of foreign troops -just saying.

Around 1994 a group of school students got lost in the park and were quickly found, I thought it odd when a spokesman stated that they'd be free to leave after they were DEBRIEFED. It's a national park why would you need to be debriefed? What was there to see? I know there's a biosphere there. Also in and around the Gatlinburg area there are reports of foreign troops -just saying.

Perhaps to see if they became lost because of something correctable on the trail. Missing, ambiguous or vandalized signs/markers, for instance. You can't fix a problem if you don't know it exists.

Thelma Pauline Melton
Missing since September 25, 1981 from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1923
Age at Time of Disappearance: 58 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Auburn hair; brown eyes. She wears eyeglasses.
Medical Conditions: Melton was overweight, suffered from high blood pressure and nausea, and took medication for these ailments.
Clothing: Melton was last seen wearing a white and pink sleeveless striped blouse, tan polyester pants and tan, low cut, size 8 1/2 shoes with crepe soles. The left soul had a crack across the ball of the foot, which would have given distinctive footprints. She also had with her Virginia Slims cigarettes, a diamond studded white gold wristwatch and a wedding bank.
AKA: Polly

Circumstances of Disappearance
On September 25, 1981 Polly Melton was hiking Deep Creek Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park together with two friends. On the hike back she walked ahead of the others and disappeared. She had hiked this trail for almost 20 years.

I find Polly's story a little strange. She's overweight, a smoker, sick and on meds, and she's a hiker? Sorry, I know this contributes 0 to the thread, but what's up with her?
I am 5'5" 160 lbs, not fat but athletic with a few extra lbs, asthmatic and on blood pressure meds with a reconstructed knee, and I can bike 20 k and hike 5 k no problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back