Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liza’s 2014 wedding was covered in Memphis Magazine
It is said that the aforementioned William Shakespeare used forest settings in his plays to represent magical places where his characters could escape reality. So it was that in this dreamlike woodland wedding at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens, to the delight of friends and family alike, an evening of magic was created that, according to the mother of the bride, was “beyond my wildest dreams.” When it was over, Liza and Richie disappeared into the woods (and ultimately into Hall Prewitt’s vintage Cadillac) in a shower of confetti, to begin a new and very real life together.

:(

Can I ask what made you feel different? Just that from the start of the thread you seemed sure something was not as it seemed. Was it the social media or just a sense.
Ok, so normally when I hear about something like this, my reaction is to take it at face value. I mean she's caught on video being forced into a car, of course it's an abduction.

There's no reason to unnecessarily complicate what should be a straightforward case.

Occams Razor has always served me well.

But there's some nuance here.

You seem to have your prototypical low risk victim. She's employed at a school, comes from a good family, and has all the trappings of success.

The activity she's participating in does carry some risk, as god knows female joggers have been attacked, kidnapped, raped, and murdered.

The timing adds some risk too, as it's dark, and the area is probably relatively quiet that time of morning.

So it's totally reasonable to believe that this was a crime of opportunity, or even a premeditated crime committed by someone who knew her patterns.

You assume that based on the facts, you're going to be right almost every time.

So why am I not comfortable?

When I heard her phone was found "smashed," that struck me as odd. I absolutely wouldn't expect an abductor to do that, as his priority is getting away. All he cares about is that the phone is not traveling with him.

Could this "smashed" characterization have been a bad description, have been a result of a struggle, or involved the suspect throwing the phone from a moving vehicle? Of course.

But it got me thinking of the remote possibility that this was some sort of staged event, so I checked out her Facebook page to see if I could see any true crime interest.

There I saw that post where she references listening to the podcasts "up and vanished," and "serial."

Then I did something else, but I'm stopping here because I'm toting the line.

Stranger abductions are incredibly rare on the whole, and rarer still with Liza's victimology.

I still think that's the most likely scenario.

But there are things that bothered me initially, and things that have occurred since then that have given me some pause.

Right now I'd make a big bet, but I wouldn't go all in like I have in every single similar case I've followed.

How do I get there quickly?

Tomorrow the family gets in front of the cameras, as they always do in abduction cases. After all, it's the single most important thing they can do; keep the victim in the public eye.

A major press conference, or daily communication where reporters are able to ask questions.

If these things don't happen, then I have to assume they know something major we do not.

Then all bets are off.

I recall a few kidnapping cases over the years where forensics have taken cars and items of family members only for law enforcement to ultimately charge someone who was no related at all with the victim, I suspect they are just casting a very wide net right now.

Admittedly if the lawyer part is true that is a bit suspicious however probably best to do this as people tend to point the finger at the husband when the wife goes missing, he might have gotten on the front foot here innocent or not.
I hope so.

The facts suggest that Liza was jogging before work; while her family slept, when a man intercepted her and took her into his vehicle - which was across the street. That sounds like a Mollie Tibbetts, Naomi Irion, Hannah Graham, Morgan Harrington, so many other women who are missing and murdered ... moment.

How do you know the car was parked across the street? Pretty sure that was speculation?

My parents knew her grandfather and other family members. They traveled a lot with that group of people when they were still alive. In groups with people they came to know and care for. Literally everywhere my parents could have ever wanted to go. The Orgill family was so inclusive to others.
I will leave it at this. My parents came from very rural and, especially in my mom's case, impoverished backgrounds. They were highschool graduates only.
Built specialty homes so came to know the Orgill side of her family.
These were, and are, incredibly caring and down-to-earth people.
My entire community is feeling this "disappearance" not just in Memphis but across the region.
Again I reiterate that I do not know this woman at all, but I knew her family in the past.
I feel I can speak to their generosity and extreme kindness, especially when judged as to how one treats those they do not have to be kindly towards.
I need to get some rest, and as I do, I can barely begin to feel, to wonder what her loved-ones are feeling right now.
Please let this turn out better than so many of us are thinking that it will.
For Eliza tonight. For your family. For the searchers. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Chi in Memphis

Ok, so normally when I hear about something like this, my reaction is to take it at face value. I mean she's caught on video being forced into a car, of course it's an abduction.

There's no reason to unnecessarily complicate what should be a straightforward case.

Occams Razor has always served me well.

But there's some nuance here.

You seem to have your prototypical low risk victim. She's employed at a school, comes from a good family, and has all the trappings of success.

The activity she's participating in does carry some risk, as god knows female joggers have been attacked, kidnapped, raped, and murdered.

The timing adds some risk too, as it's dark, and the area is probably relatively quiet that time of morning.

So it's totally reasonable to believe that this was a crime of opportunity, or even a premeditated crime committed by someone who knew her patterns.

You assume that based on the facts, you're going to be right almost every time.

So why am I not comfortable?

When I heard her phone was found "smashed," that struck me as odd. I absolutely wouldn't expect an abductor to do that, as his priority is getting away. All he cares about is that the phone is not traveling with him.

Could this "smashed" characterization have been a bad description, have been a result of a struggle, or involved the suspect throwing the phone from a moving vehicle? Of course.

But it got me thinking of the remote possibility that this was some sort of staged event, so I checked out her Facebook page to see if I could see any true crime interest.

There I saw that post where she references listening to the podcasts "up and vanished," and "serial."

Then I did something else, but I'm stopping here because I'm toting the line.

Stranger abductions are incredibly rare on the whole, and rarer still with Liza's victimology.

I still think that's the most likely scenario.

But there are things that bothered me initially, and things that have occurred since then that have given me some pause.

Right now I'd make a big bet, but I wouldn't go all in like I have in every single similar case I've followed.

How do I get there quickly?

Tomorrow the family gets in front of the cameras, as they always do in abduction cases. After all, it's the single most important thing they can do; keep the victim in the public eye.

A major press conference, or daily communication where reporters are able to ask questions.

If these things don't happen, then I have to assume they know something major we do not.

Then all bets are off.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts MG! I won’t/can’t go into my thoughts too deeply at this point, but, how many cases do we remember where the press conference was held, albeit without the perpetrator participating, and LE already knew something major we did not? I recall a few and even one where the perpetrator participated in the PC. However, I completely agree, if there’s no PC tomorrow, it’s telling us something too. JMHO

"URGENT CALL TO PRAYER," Second Presbyterian Church wrote on Facebook. "Church family, as you may have seen on many news outlets, one of our members, Eliza (Liza) Fletcher, was reportedly abducted at 4:30am this morning while on a run. Please join us in praying for Liza's safety, and that she will be found soon."

Hutchison School, a private college prep school where Fletcher graduated from in 2006, similarly encouraged community members and others to pray for her swift return.

"Hutchison family, we ask that you please join us in praying for the safe return of Liza Wellford Fletcher '06. She was abducted this morning near the University of Memphis while running. She is a beloved alumna, and we pray for her safety and for her family," the school wrote.

ADMIN NOTE:

Melanie Moon's Twitter is allowed in this discussion.

WS Mods or Admins decide what sources are approved, so please don't be derailing a thread with bickering over it. If you have an issue, use the Report feature to let us know and then let us decide whether a source can be discussed. Not everything is black and white so there is no blanket explanation. In a nutshell, depends on the case, the source .. WS staff review and consider a lot of different factors, and use discretion and judgment as to whether something is allowed or not.

Again, if you have an issue, Report and let us decide.

Thank you.

There’s abduction and there’s abduction. There’s random abduction (wrong place, wrong time), not random (stalking) and then there’s abduction and murder by hire. JMHO

I'm getting the stalking or hired vibe. The jogging route and time was habitual for her, so that was known as time to strike. Either someone stalked her or someone close to her.

I am assuming University'd cameras are on light poles and she is under one. JMO

Sad, she probably felt fairly safe running there with lights, cameras, etc. I have to wonder if where she was abducted was in a "black out zone" or not where lights or cameras wouldn't capture as well? That might tell how planned or unplanned this was.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but the article Police say someone kidnapped Eliza Fletcher near the UofM. Who is she?
mentions Liza Fletcher is the granddaughter of the late Joseph Orgill III, who was president of Orgill Inc a family hardware business that was founded in Memphis in the 1840s. The company had over $3 billion revenue in 2020.

If that news story is correct, then IMHO it raises another possible reason for this abduction: kidnapping for ransom.

Whether or not the victim herself had received any funds, if some of her relatives are wealthy, she could be targeted for such a scheme.

Sorry if already posted, catching up as usual... Would this be ransom thing? Inheritance motive? I didn't realize how well off her family was and her wedding featured in Memphis Magazine? So if it's a 'follow the money' thing possible it could be money motivated.

ETA: Aha! I see Arizona's post above me asks the same question about ransom :) I just saw post now. And sorry the link is Daily Mail... not the best!

Last edited:
If that news story is correct, then IMHO it raises another possible reason for this abduction: kidnapping for ransom.

Whether or not the victim herself had received any funds, if some of her relatives are wealthy, she could be targeted for such a scheme.

Yes! I just read that there is lots of money tied to her and the family and wondering possible motives connected to that. <modsnip - implications against a non POI JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Speculation only and MOO: I can't help think about the pruning shears and the Orsolya Gaal case comes to mind.

If an abduction/murder for hire maybe hired help at the house was recruited by someone close? Or similar to Orsolya Gaal, where there's a relationship connection to the hired help and victim? Do people with that much money do their own tree pruning? Or hire people for it? MOO

…More than 5,500 people are employed by the company.

In a tribute article published in the Memphis Commercial Appeal in 2018, a friend of Joe Orgill III referred to him as being a cross between Bono and Mr. Rogers in hardware circles. An apparent reference to his philanthropic activities and warm demeanor.

In February, Fletcher said in an Instagram post that she attended the Orgill trade show in Orlando, Florida.

Fletcher is a pre-kindergarten teacher at St. Mary's Episcopal School and she and her husband belong to the Second Presbyterian Church in East Memphis.

'We have not told our younger students about Mrs. Fletcher. We are supporting the older students as they learn of this news,' read the letter from head of school Albert Throckmorton, according to Fox News.

Fletcher attends Second Presbyterian Church in East Memphis. Her pastor, George Robertson, noted in an interview Friday that Fletcher's kidnapping was not the first in Memphis this year.

“Someday we’ll eliminate this kind of tragedy,” Robertson, the senior pastor at Second Presbyterian Church said. “We also grieve the abduction that occurred a couple of days ago near Wolfchase. We grieve all of this kind of violence and evil in our city. It just makes us grieve. We grieve for ourselves, we grieve for the Fletchers and we also grieve for our city. Our whole city is hurting.”

Prior to Fletcher's disappearance, 32-year-old Willie Jones was last seen by his mother in late April of this year. He has not been heard from since.

Fletcher is the granddaughter of the late Joseph “Joe” Orgill III, the Memphis hardware businessman and philanthropist who has supported causes including Dixon Gallery and Gardens and Church Health.

1662191331473.jpeg

LIZA FLETCHER​

JK Teacher

The Second Presbyterian Church posted a video on their Facebookaccount singing "Dear Refuge of my Weary Soul" in dedication to Fletcher.

Last edited:
Investigators utilized bloodhounds around the scene of the abduction, but the search for Fletcher didn’t end near the UofM.

From Friday morning until evening, investigators were in and out of Fletcher’s home on Carr Avenue <>, at one point entering the front door with a riot shield.

Jogger abducted near UofM campus, police say

(This ^^^ link is also the source for the smashed phone.)

A dog belonging to the family was taken from the home but has since been returned. (Everything LEO does could be a clue.) The young boys are mentioned briefly. Uploaded to YT about 3 hours ago:

Apparently it was common for her to run this early in the AM. Was it mentioned anywhere that she carried some sort of protective/ self defense device ? I would think most women who run, especially in the dark, would. If she did, would she have time to use it as she is grabbed ? I am mostly wondering because I think being grabbed , one would be mostly shocked, not ready to grab the pepper spray/ whatever it is. Could that have also been dropped someplace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980