TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren,44, Signal Mountain, 30 April, 2011 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cases like this could make one very bitter and distrusting of LE and legal processes...

Not accusing anyone of anything, but it is hard to understand why there wasn't a more diligent search early on (of the SM house, the lake house, and routes in between and around)...why MP's and Gail's computers and other electronic devices weren't seized (via search warrant)...why Gail's children have been kept away (by MP) from her family members...why Gail's children have not been allowed (by MP) to be questioned by LE (even tho they are allegedly to have been with her shortly before she disappeared)...etc., etc., etc..

Does the fact that "... detectives from HCS Criminal Investigation division.." are involved mean something is happening? Or, that LE is active on new info.

Cases like this could make one very bitter and distrusting of LE and legal processes...

Not accusing anyone of anything, but it is hard to understand why there wasn't a more diligent search early on (of the SM house, the lake house, and routes in between and around)...why MP's and Gail's computers and other electronic devices weren't seized (via search warrant)...why Gail's children have been kept away (by MP) from her family members...why Gail's children have not been allowed (by MP) to be questioned by LE (even tho they are allegedly to have been with her shortly before she disappeared)...etc., etc., etc..

Could it be Lee Davis, who is a former lead Hamilton Co. prosecutor for years is running the investigation. This is all just too hinky... JMHO

I think the FBI involvement is a million dollar question. Perhaps they were just offering resources.

I am not sure on what basis LE could have forced a search for Gail or of the properties when she was finally reported. I mean, a missing person is not enough to force a thorough search of the houses. Where was the missing report finally taken when Matt made it? Did he go down to PD or did they come to his house?

If they came to his house, I am sure they did a walk through. But, they can only do it if he says yes. Which is not a full blown CSI search of the premises.

The same holds true for any other property. They have to have enough to get a judge to agree to sign a request to search the property for things and impound them.

I dont see that they had enough to do that, but I believe they wanted to.

By the looks of things, Gail left under her own steam. She drove away in her own car. It doesnt matter how bad Matt looks or even how obvious it is that he isnt wounded that she is gone. They would need to find something that indicates he did something to her.

I am frustrated that there is no indication of anything concrete. Except for today. Today there is an article that states there is a videotape showing Matt threatening Gail and it was in Arlene's possession in June of this year.

Is the scene on it compelling enough to obtain a warrant? Apparently not. :(

[bbm]

I think this sums it up every which way. They have to have enough evidence to get a warrant. Suspicious circumstances apparently are not enough. Hearsay is not enough. What is enough? I don't know. But I do think that if LE could have gotten a warrant, they would have gotten one.

I hear and read about so much anger directed toward LE, but in fact it's the judge that signs the warrants, and apparently the criteria to get one just hasn't been met. And I don't think that's the judge's fault either. The law is the law. And apparently the law doesn't provide for a warrant to be issued.

Does that mean the law should be changed? I doubt it. I'm glad LE can't get a warrant too easily. I'd hate to think they could barge in my house with a warrant without some evidence to back it up.

Where is the evidence to back up a warrant in this case? I haven't heard of any.

[bbm]

I think this sums it up every which way. They have to have enough evidence to get a warrant. Suspicious circumstances apparently are not enough. Hearsay is not enough. What is enough? I don't know. But I do think that if LE could have gotten a warrant, they would have gotten one.

I hear and read about so much anger directed toward LE, but in fact it's the judge that signs the warrants, and apparently the criteria to get one just hasn't been met. And I don't think that's the judge's fault either. The law is the law. And apparently the law doesn't provide for a warrant to be issued.

Does that mean the law should be changed? I doubt it. I'm glad LE can't get a warrant too easily. I'd hate to think they could barge in my house with a warrant without some evidence to back it up.

Where is the evidence to back up a warrant in this case? I haven't heard of any.

I absolutely agree with you. IMO timely searches could have provided that evidence...

I absolutely agree with you. IMO timely searches could have provided that evidence...

...and so there goes the circle that must have LE as frustrated as anybody. They need the warrant to get the evidence, and they need the evidence to get the warrant....

That is, if there is evidence to be found through a search of those locations people wish had been searched early on. I have no idea.

LE could have searched these houses and computers if they had permission. MP got a lawyer right away and told LE no.

Why would MP not allow LE to search?

Oriah can weigh in here, but I dont think it is uncommon for LE to wait for a change in the season so it is easier to search large areas.

:(

It's not unusual here with mountainous terrain and deciduous trees. Once the leaves completely fall after the first frost (in about another month), it will be so much easier to see the mountainsides, roadsides, and ravines from a helicopter. I would say right now there is still too much leaf cover.

If it wasn't for the fact that we are talking about a missing 44 year old woman, this could be considered the joke of the day. imo. So all of the evidence just thrived and grew in the summer growing season and now it's ready to harvest with the falling of the leaves? Is there a tree house there? Plz. imo

The leaves will cover anything small on the ground that is still exposed. But surely the leaves falling might help reveal a big red Jeep to an aerial search. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

I am not sure on what basis LE could have forced a search for Gail or of the properties when she was finally reported. I mean, a missing person is not enough to force a thorough search of the houses.

What about a missing person whose husband says has psychiatric issues and who the G's say had a "psychotic breakdown"?

A missing person who made 2 domestic 911 calls the week prior and got numbers to safe houses?

A missing person who had reported fears of being followed and spoke with LE moments before she was missing, requesting their presence at her house?

LE could have searched these houses and computers if they had permission. MP got a lawyer right away and told LE no.

Why would MP not allow LE to search?

I haven't seen anything stating that Matt said no to a search. Where did you get that from?

He said LE was welcome to search:

Attorney Lee Davis said the husband of a missing Signal Mountain woman has been open to a search of all his property from the day his wife vanished.

Attorney Davis said, "I told Signal Mountain (Police) in the first 15 minutes of talking to them about the case that they were welcome to search any of Matt Palmgren's property."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_203652.asp

What about a missing person whose husband says has psychiatric issues and who the G's say had a "psychotic breakdown"?

A missing person who made 2 domestic 911 calls the week prior and got numbers to safe houses?

A missing person who had reported fears of being followed and spoke with LE moments before she was missing, requesting their presence at her house?

IMHO those are suspicious circumstances/hearsay but not "evidence." Plus, we don't know the details of that conversation with LE, do we?

Glorias, do you know the criteria for a search warrant in Tennessee? I do not.

Searches held at Palmgrens’ Alabama properties
published Tuesday, September 27th, 2011

Sheriff Jim Hammond said that, after the last of the property searches are completed, investigators may consider doing another aerial search.

“I’m still of the opinion when the leaves drop, we’ll be able to see more,” he said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/sep/27/searches-held-palmgrens-alabama-properties/

It looks like they think it could be foul play or an accident, if they are planning an aerial search.

I haven't seen anything stating that Matt said no to a search. Where did you get that from?

He said LE was welcome to search:

Attorney Lee Davis said the husband of a missing Signal Mountain woman has been open to a search of all his property from the day his wife vanished.

Attorney Davis said, "I told Signal Mountain (Police) in the first 15 minutes of talking to them about the case that they were welcome to search any of Matt Palmgren's property."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_203652.asp

Thanks for the correction. Since MP got a lawyer right after her disappearance, it makes one think he is using them as a shield. LE should have taken the computers though, if they were offered.

My feeling is that there was no foul play in the home. If something happened, it happened away from the properties.

I may have asked this before, but are there more hunters in the fall in Tenn.? In my area, hunting ramps up in the fall months, especially for deer.

Detectives Search Palmgren Property In Alabama
posted September 27, 2011

Officials said, "As part of the investigation involving the disappearance of Gail Palmgren, detectives with the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division traveled to Alabama to follow-up with the searches of properties belonging to the Palmgren family.

"This has been done with the complete cooperation of Mr. Palmgren and his attorney, Lee Davis."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_210030.asp

Complete cooperation. How 'bout that.

Isn't that special! :mad:

'with the complete cooperation of Mr. Palmgren and his attorney............' :rolleyes:

sorry,.................just doesn't work for me.:maddening:

humph!
fran
:angel:

I updated the news links with what came out today. [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165672#post7165672]Media Links Thread[/ame]

I may have asked this before, but are there more hunters in the fall in Tenn.? In my area, hunting ramps up in the fall months, especially for deer.

Yes...Hunting Season started last weekend...JMHO

Oh yeah ~ deer and turkey mostly, but also raccoon, dove, and other game birds. In some places there are also bear hunts.

Plus more people are just out in the woods because the weather is so pretty this time of year, and once we have frost there's not as much threat from snakes and insects like wasps and yellowjackets.

ETA: People also tend to go off the beaten path this time of year for fall festivals or to see a pretty view with all the fall colors. It's a good time for bird watching along the ridges as well.

Isn't that special! :mad:

'with the complete cooperation of Mr. Palmgren and his attorney............' :rolleyes:

sorry,.................just doesn't work for me.:maddening:

humph!
fran
:angel:

Fran, do you have a theory on how all this has played out on the searches? Do you think the attorney was asked and refused? I'm sure MP is going through his attorney for everything... that is, unless he wants his attorney to withdraw from the case....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member