TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we are talking...can locals weigh on on these mine shafts, caves and RR tracks that Oriah mapped? Are they well known, how would they be discovered, are they easily located or does it take some work to get there? Could you drive to any of them in a Jeep?

That's what I was hoping as well, believe09. It appears on the USGS mapping program that quite a few could be reached by a 4 wheel drive vehicle- some only by hiking- and the tracks appear to definately have ingress for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. But maps are maps-even when they are current, sometimes they are not accurate as to terrain. Locals would know better as to the current accessibility I would think.
Or I could take a drive and see what these coordinates actually look like on the ground. :innocent:

Now we are talking...can locals weigh on on these mine shafts, caves and RR tracks that Oriah mapped? Are they well known, how would they be discovered, are they easily located or does it take some work to get there? Could you drive to any of them in a Jeep?

Anything in that area takes work to get there, since there are only rough dirt roads. But some of those mines are from the 20th century, so the roads do lead there. But sometimes in wet weather things might be impassable. However, lately it has been mostly dry.

One thing, Oriah - those rock houses are only about 100 years old. I think they are remnants of old abandoned mine buildings built of local mountain stone.

Chattanooga Times: McNabb Mines and Shakerag Community

McNabb Mines, nestled between Walden’s Ridge and the Tennessee River off River Canyon Road in Marion County, boasts the remains of a 1800s school, church, store and coke ovens. All of it is surrounded by the Prentice Cooper State Forest, said Jim Brown, executive director of the Tennessee River Gorge Trust, which paid for the archaeological work done in connection with the historic designation application.

“I’ve know about Shakerag since I was a forest ranger and worked for the state, and I’ve slowly watched it be vandalized and carried away and carted off,” Mr. Brown said. “The old structures — many of them are still there. The history is still there, and it needs to be preserved.”

Here's a good article with pictures of the present area: McNabb Mines

The only way it would make sense is if someone lured her back there on the pretense that they had seen her missing dog (if it was still missing). Otherwise, why would she risk her nice red jeep on roads like that?
Every scenario that comes to mind is as unlikely as the next.

The missing dog scenario was awhile ago and was found shortly after dog went missing. Gail had kids and dogs with her when she went to summer home Friday evening, until they all returned Saturday (allegedly) around 12 noon-12:15pm. :twocents:But, I do agree, whatever it was that was conveyed to her,to lure her back to TN must have been very important in Gail's eyes. Very important. Would be interesting to know just who Gail spoke with between the hours of 6:30am and the time she arrived back in TN at 40 Ridge Rock.. Very interesting!:twocents:

That's what I was hoping as well, believe09. It appears on the USGS mapping program that quite a few could be reached by a 4 wheel drive vehicle- some only by hiking- and the tracks appear to definately have ingress for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. But maps are maps-even when they are current, sometimes they are not accurate as to terrain. Locals would know better as to the current accessibility I would think.
Or I could take a drive and see what these coordinates actually look like on the ground. :innocent:

OT Oriah you are truely an Angel. You work so hard for so many. The thanks button just ain't enough for me. Thank you on behalf of vics everywhere. Been wanting to say this for awhile.

http:///viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979453993

<snip>New Clues in Missing Tennessee Woman Case
June 15, 2011 04:55 PM EDT.>

I just saw on FB a comment revealing where MP was the evening of 04/30, but not sure if I am allowed to repeat the info here and if so, how should I present it?

Does anyone recall if MP was at home when Gail left children at home and departed in her Jeep? Also, does anyone know, or is it under wraps as to whether the children have been questioned regarding their Mom?

I live here in Hamilton County and am so worried about Gail. Personally, the idea that she was in the Big Fork area just doesn't make sense in any way for this lady. Wondering if this is a fabrication.

Matt says he wasn't at the house, he was at his mother's, but we don't know any specific times on that.

That does make me wonder: Where were they when she left for the lake house on the 29th? We know they had a 911 incident which was at the police station itself, and that she left for the lake house with the kids later that day. Did she have the kids with her when she went to the police station? If so, did they leave for the lake house immediately after the police station? Or did she go to the TN home, collect the kids and some stuff for the trip, then leave? Where did Matt go after the police incident, back to the TN home?

And I too have wondered if the Gail sighting is accurate, simply because it seems like the Jeep was on those trails for at least 2 hours or longer, and who wants that many witnesses if they are holding someone captive or carjacking someone?

Still so many unanswered questions with this case. I know we have Arlene as Gail's advocate but I am also finding it odd that no one else is coming forward in the media with pleas for help. Other friends, family members. That is not sitting right with me. I am not saying everyone should be all over the media giving out information or anything like that but just surprised that we have not heard more from her family.

Need to catch up here again, sorry. Can someone tell me if there was a valid sighting of Gail at the Ace hardware?

I am also curious about this person who came forward and told the media that she possibly believes she saw Gail with a female in the car...I would think if she spoke to police they would have asked her not to speak to the media about this but she did. There are just too many sloppy things going on here with trying to find her---and I don't mean by LE. I dunno, we have all said this but I believe there is so much more going on here than we know and I believe a lot more people are involved.

I should have said a "confirmed" sighting of Gail at the Ace Hardware

As far as we know, no, the sighting at Ace has only been mentioned on Facebook and is just a rumor. FWIW, I saw it referenced several days before we heard anything about C who said she saw Gail with a woman in the car. As far as sightings of both Gail and MP, the only one that has been in the media is C's.

I also wondered if C was asked to not say anything. Maybe LE didn't ask her to keep quiet at all.

Still so many unanswered questions with this case. I know we have Arlene as Gail's advocate but I am also finding it odd that no one else is coming forward in the media with pleas for help. Other friends, family members. That is not sitting right with me. I am not saying everyone should be all over the media giving out information or anything like that but just surprised that we have not heard more from her family.

The family may have just accepted things, and of course they have their own lives and there's only so much they can do. I believe her sister went back home a few weeks ago.

I would have to go through old articles, but I seem to recall something like 4 friends so far quoted in articles, plus of course Gail's brother and sister. So there were several people in the beginning who spoke, but as time goes on, of course you start to think the worst and there's nothing left to say. LE may have asked some people to not talk to the media too.

The biggest problem I see is that someone/multiple someones have made comments in public (not on WS) that Gail's friends and family "aren't doing anything," which IMVHO is false, and it probably makes the family and friends wary of participating in any public action at all. JMHO

As far as we know, no, the sighting at Ace has only been mentioned on Facebook and is just a rumor. FWIW, I saw it referenced several days before we heard anything about C who said she saw Gail with a woman in the car. As far as sightings of both Gail and MP, the only one that has been in the media is C's.

I also wondered if C was asked to not say anything. Maybe LE didn't ask her to keep quiet at all.

I saw that blurb as well about the sighting at Ace Hardware well before C ever came forward. I dunno...nobody has said it's a confirmed sighting.

The family may have just accepted things, and of course they have their own lives and there's only so much they can do. I believe her sister went back home a few weeks ago.

I would have to go through old articles, but I seem to recall something like 4 friends so far quoted in articles, plus of course Gail's brother and sister. So there were several people in the beginning who spoke, but as time goes on, of course you start to think the worst and there's nothing left to say. LE may have asked some people to not talk to the media too.

The biggest problem I see is that someone/multiple someones have made comments in public (not on WS) that Gail's friends and family "aren't doing anything," which IMVHO is false, and it probably makes the family and friends wary of participating in any public action at all. JMHO

I hope I did not sound like I was judging the family that was not my intentions at all. I know they were involved in the beginning, and your right people have lives to lead and they are probably just trying to leave it up to the experts.

I wish I could say what I would do if my sister was missing, I think I know what I would do, but having never been in that situation I truly don't know what I would do. Would I have my face all over the news pleading for help or just quietly looking on my own? It's hard to say never having to be in this horrible situation.

I wish there was some sort of other clue or evidence of something....another little something to go on.

"Officials in the sheriff's office said they are working hard to solve the mysterious disappearance of Gail Palmgren of Signal Mountain....

[snip]

"We do welcome the assistance from the media in
  • continuing to show Ms. Palmgrens picture
  • as well as the picture of her vehicle.
  • Also to disseminate telephone numbers (423 209-8940 or 423 622-0022) for anyone with information pertaining to this missing person case. An email address is available as well for persons with any information at investigations@hcsheriff.gov
  • "Please direct all future information requests to the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Office."
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_203454.asp [bulleted format by me; still verbatim quote]

I think this is a very important article, and I re-formatted it for emphasis. Here, I believe, is the answer to what LE would like the media to do and (between the lines) not to do. Nowhere does the article request the media interview witnesses. That question was raised in the previous thread, as to whether LE approved the media interview given by "Carol." My guess is not.

I also read this as a very tactful request of where tips should be going, providing multiple contact avenues for ONE place for tips to go.

...as well as where media requests should be going.

Believe09 had a post on the last thread that is SOO on target IMO. I wonder if it could be "bumped" to repeat? It regards the issue of protecting vs. compromising the investigation.

If tips are flying in multiple directions and witnesses being interviewed without involvement of LE...we have a serious problem. I am very concerned that LE is not being given the best chance to do their jobs at this particular point in the investigation. IF I am right, we're running the risk that witnesses may be scared off and potential suspects tipped off. All my opinion...and concern.

I think a very realistic possibility is that the family is doing a better job than many others at following directions from LE.

I think a very realistic possibility is that the family is doing a better job than many others at following directions from LE.

Have to agree with you on that. I just know when we had the two missing women here each one had a family spokesperson and the family stayed out of the media circus. I just have not seen someone on behalf of the family....they are probably laying low and I don't blame them. situations like this bring alot of unwanted attention.

I hope I did not sound like I was judging the family that was not my intentions at all. I know they were involved in the beginning, and your right people have lives to lead and they are probably just trying to leave it up to the experts.

I wish I could say what I would do if my sister was missing, I think I know what I would do, but having never been in that situation I truly don't know what I would do. Would I have my face all over the news pleading for help or just quietly looking on my own? It's hard to say never having to be in this horrible situation.

I wish there was some sort of other clue or evidence of something....another little something to go on.

I believe that they are very much involved, but it is a fact that they have families and jobs far removed from the area, they just aren't in the public eye. My gut tells me that once they were confident Le was on top of things and had exhausted all they could personally do they went back home.

I really can't imagine what I would feel or what I would do, if I were one of the close family members. I have no doubt that they are absolutely heartbroken, devastated... I really have no words to do the emotions justice.

I THINK, however, that if I were they, I would be feeling absolutely usurped at this point. They were HERE IMMEDIATELY, very vocal and very active in bringing attention to the case, and now they have all gone home and gotten quiet. That speaks VOLUMES.

It's painfully obvious that there is a huge difference of opinion among the people who care very much about Gail, regarding how the investigation should proceed.

And perhaps regarding who should be in control.

If I were a witness, I think I would be most reluctant to jump into the fray. I think this is a case that is smelling more of danger every day. I would want to be assured of protection for myself and my family, and I wouldn't feel that way at this point.

I'll even be so blunt as to say that I think if some arrests need to be made in order for LE to regain control of this investigation, that would not be an unreasonable action on their part. It was reported earlier (and in a most negative light) that someone in LE had made a suggestion pointing that way, and now I think I'm beginning to understand.

Pearl nailed it, I believe. Family is cooperating with the investigation and letting LE lead the charge....that is my guess. I think the news article was both pointed and polite, as Pearl indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth