TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagine...by the time this is over that family will be wealthy on top of the wealth they already had.

If people dont think this is NUTS, I dont know what to think of people!!

Well think of this, by the time this is over, IF it's ever over, the money raised won't begin to pay for long term counseling for Holly. Did you know in-house therapy is $3000 to $5000 a day and that isn't for a swanky place. Out patient therapy starts at $100 an hour, but that's really low---and yes, I'm speaking from personal knowledge on this matter so I do know of what I speak. Not to mention regular medical costs which will be necessary.

And even though I've been in a psych center before and I'm a "people", I'm not nuts. :twocents:

It just makes them look selfish and I don't think they realize it.

I think the money should be going back to the Vols who helped search for Holly.

I think people are going to be very upset if they find out that all that money is going to Holly to do whatever she pleases with it.

Oh, I agree about it going to the volunteers. I think $35,000(their goal) is a little over the top for what they are wanting it for. IMO

I'm just saying I don't think any of them are really thinking clearly. Sometimes it takes another person saying "maybe that's not really what it should go towards" to make you realize it's a little excessive. Really though, who is going to tell this woman, who is trying to say positive, that.

Also, I believe that people all over the country are buying the T-shirts.

It's very odd. I don't get it at all. I've never heard of a case where the family raises funds so that the money can go directly to the victim to do whatever they please with it.

I would understand if the money was going to a trust fund etc. , but for all of the money going to whatever the recipient wants to do with it is : :waitasec:

esp. since if she is found alive, she's going to need therapy of some sort for quit a while.

It just rubs me the wrong way, esp. in this economy.

Therapy = YES

A foundation for future victims of missing family members = YES

Funeral Costs (heaven forbid) = YES

Family Therapy = YES

Vacation = NO

No way, no how, should public funds be used for a vacation. I have no say in how the money is spent, but this is just another reason why I will never donate to funds like this.

This family should take a call from the Horman's in how to handle donation money. The tax penalties (if not used in an appropriate manner) can be as high as 33%.

MOO

Mel

Ok, I gotta say, I don't understand the vacation fund.
I know it's not, but in some ways it's like a runaway bribe.. "if you come home we'll give you a (fill in the blank).
And is there a heaven forbid contingency plan? What if she doesn't come home, where does the money go?

I thought about the contingency fund thing too, but then thought, "when would you draw the line that she's not coming home, a month, 6 months, a year???" I would imagine it would be the hardest thing to have to admit she's not coming home (this is theory only, am praying she comes home) and use the money for something else.

Not to mention all the food and things people have donated INTERNATIONALLY for this family and for this search. Churches in the area have donated thousands of dollars that is not showing up in the news articles...I think it is AMAZINGLY selfish that they could be thinking this way while so many are giving everything they can to help this family....

This is turning into a circus FAST.

I totally DISAGREE that is this turning into a circus. Have you ever had a child go missing, I have. It was only for three hours but it gave me a taste of the horror. Watching LE run the dogs, having the Sheriff ask the same questions over and over, seeing Game Management in the boat searching the lake, having people you don't even know come up and hug you and watching people running everywhere searching......it's totally surreal, and scary as hell. Don't judge this family until you've been in their shoes. This family isn't "thinking", you can't think when this happens. You can cry, become hysterical, shake uncontrollably and go into shock,,,,but "thinking" isn't what happens when your child goes missing.

Well think of this, by the time this is over, IF it's ever over, the money raised won't begin to pay for long term counseling for Holly. Did you know in-house therapy is $3000 to $5000 a day and that isn't for a swanky place. Out patient therapy starts at $100 an hour, but that's really low---and yes, I'm speaking from personal knowledge on this matter so I do know of what I speak. Not to mention regular medical costs which will be necessary.

And even though I've been in a psych center before and I'm a "people", I'm not nuts. :twocents:

You're right. My outpatient therapy was $200.00 an hour, and insurance picked up 50% for 10 visits a year. If/when Holly is found, every penny is going to be needed for long term therapy.

MOO

Mel

I could see the 'your dog is injured' ruse as a possibility. But that does not explain why the guy was holding her close as they walked. To me the body language they described implies that the guy had a knife or a gun. imoo

I think she would break into a run if anyone said something had happened to her dog or another animal...not be walking along in a way that brother thinks she is with her boyfriend and police now think was showing fear for her life...

Help me out here - did I just read mom bought a vacation with donation money? Yikes - I need to read the upthread.

MOO

Mel

No, Not even close. What it is is that mom said that she wants the money collected from the tee shirt sales to be used for Holly, for a vacation or whatever she wants when she comes home. However, if you look back yesterday to the statements made, the owner/amanger/somebody of the flower shop that is selling the shirt said thay they hoped to raise enough to cover the reward ofered by the family. So what I think, personally, is that the family offered reward money that they didn't have, and the people of the town are hoping to cover that without the family having to mortgage or sell their home or other belongings, but also not letting those that may have info know that the reward cannot be covered at this time... MOO.

Many of you have been around these cases a lot longer.

Have you ever seen one so tight to the vest? I just have to think there's a reason. They seem to be saying so little about it, just very strange.

Yes but the one most remembered is from OK and still not solved. Skyla Whitaker, & Taylor Placker murdered in OK.

If Holly turns out to be alive and they want to send her on vacation, I say more power to them and I don't think the people who have donated to this fund would feel any differently, heck, I'd be willing to donate to send all of them on vacation.

If Holly's not alive, then I'm sure her family will do whatever they feel is appropriate with this money.

If any of us aren't donating to the fund personally, then what business is it of ours where the money goes? If you feel uncomfortable donating money to a cause such as this, there is a simple solution to that problem, don't donate. If you support it, then by all means, donate.

~jmo~

daisy...

Way To Go.......1,000 post...........sorry this is late!!

:fireworks2::Banane10::Banane10::Banane21::Banane21::fireworks2:

score

Thank you!

Does that mean that I get to make a special Websleuths Wish?

T-shirts bearing the favorite scripture of Holly's mother were sold for the Holly Bobo Fund.

The proceeds are not going to the reward fund, but to Holly herself.

D'Lynn Burton, a close family friend and neighbor, helped sell the shirts. "Her mother asked me. When Holly comes home, she wants her to have some money so she can go on a vacation, or just treat herself with anything she wants."

So far 2,500 shirts have been sold at $12 apiece.
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-bob-friday,0,1689775.story
BBM. Some money. That is not to say that every penny of this is going towards a vacation. MOO. And is also not a direct statement from the mother.

The shirt reads "Pray for Holly's Safe Return" on the back and has a pink ribbon on the front along with Bobo's name.
"We're going to print one thousand more t-shirts Thursday and hopefully we'll be able to continue this until we have sold enough to cover the reward the family has offered," said Steve Hinson of Amerawear.
http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Bobo-T-shirts-Available-120334429.html
I think this statement is very telling of the real reason for the sales. They just don't want to come right out and say that they didn't have the money they offered. MOO.

At last count, 2500 T-shirts had been sold at $12.00 = $30,000. That would be a heck of a vacation for anyone.

Are the shirts being donated for free? If not, then half the amount of money that has come in.

The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if "vacation" wasn't a word to use in place of "getting her emotionally stable again".

Here is what I do not get at all:

Why would you have people buy T-shirts that are not going towards the reward fund but instead all the money is going towards Holly herself?

Her mother said she wanted the donations from the T-shirts to go towards Holly so that when she gets back she can go on vacation or buy whatever she wants.

Yesterday when I read about this I thought that it was different too.
Then I thought to let the mom do what she has to do to get through this. She's hoping against all hope that her 'baby' will come home again.
She isn't hiding the purpose of the T-shirts so, if people want to buy them, what do we care? Poor woman is beside herself.
God bless her and I hope she can take a trip with her daughter soon.

I think a vacation is wishful thinking... just a "thought" crutch to prop up what little bit of positive outlook that they have. Odds are against Holly, right now... searchers and LE know this, and privately the family knows. (or I should say "they have to know"... too many statistics out there that can't be ignored)

T-shirts bearing the favorite scripture of Holly's mother were sold for the Holly Bobo Fund.

The proceeds are not going to the reward fund, but to Holly herself.

D'Lynn Burton, a close family friend and neighbor, helped sell the shirts. "Her mother asked me. When Holly comes home, she wants her to have some money so she can go on a vacation, or just treat herself with anything she wants."

So far 2,500 shirts have been sold at $12 apiece.
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-bob-friday,0,1689775.story
BBM. Some money. That is not to say that every penny of this is going towards a vacation. MOO. And is also not a direct statement from the mother.

The shirt reads "Pray for Holly's Safe Return" on the back and has a pink ribbon on the front along with Bobo's name.
"We're going to print one thousand more t-shirts Thursday and hopefully we'll be able to continue this until we have sold enough to cover the reward the family has offered," said Steve Hinson of Amerawear.
http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Bobo-T-shirts-Available-120334429.html
I think this statement is very telling of the real reason for the sales. They just don't want to come right out and say that they didn't have the money they offered. MOO.

The second link you posted says "The shirts range from $12 to $15 and are available at Parsons Florist in Parsons."

Are there 2 different "styles" (for lack of a better word) of shirts being sold? Do they both have the mother's favorite scripture on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7