TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The description is and always has been basically useless.
Hope LE has more than that to go on.

10EC_Dad, ITA with LE having a responsibilty to being as accurate as possible.

Respectfully, I disagree about the fact that there is no evidence of that in this case. I don't understand how information can be released that states Holly is the victim of an apparent kidnapping (per the FBI poster- I noted the special circumstances) by a man in camo- during a hunting season- with blood found- and several other missing people in the area, that LE is looking at- and not think about that.

I'm going to search:
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

Seems like that might be the best resource right now.

I suggest that there is a big difference in linking as many possibilities you wish and the LE stating this perp as "armed and dangerous".

I see big picture down sides and no upsides to this case in doing so.

The description is and always has been basically useless.
Hope LE has more than that to go on.

Well definately not as uniquely descriptive as to be more than generally helpful.

Saying someone is wearing camo in rural America is almost like saying someone was wearing a coat in Alaska.

Well definately not as uniquely descriptive as to be more than generally helpful.

Saying someone is wearing camo in rural America is almost like saying someone was wearing a coat in Alaska.

I have camo Keds and Converse sneakers and various items of camo clothing and I live in a big city.

I suggest that there is a big difference in linking as many possibilities you wish and the LE stating this perp as "armed and dangerous".

I see big picture down sides and no upsides to this case in doing so.

Can you explain more about what you think about that?

Maybe it's the media twist that is making me think this abductor was armed.

ETA: it is NOT just the camo that makes me think this man may have been armed. The camo is just a contributing thought.

Aparently this leafy lookin stuff is what all dapper turkey hunters should wear.

http://www.txfowlers.com/Breakup_Jacket_pant_Whitewater_Outdoors.asp

as an aside a friend of mine invented a radio control turkey hunting decoy that pops up and down and turns around. Kinda strange but I guess it works or he thinks it will work. It has these big plastic turkeys on top.

Too funny, I pity the turkey hunter that is called "dapper"! You don't want to be the guy that looks like he just walked out of a catalogue.

I couldnt think of another word to describe a well dressed turkey hunter.

I needed camo to hide from the turkey that attacked me in Hillsborough River State Park.

I think LE has a responsibility to try and be as accurate as possible. The description "armed and dangerous" should be reserved for cases where the perp is known to be armed and dertermined to be a dangerous threat to the general public. There is no evidence of that in this case.

Personally, I'd rather them be safe than sorry. I'd want to know to take this very seriously if it happened in my town.

Can you explain more about what you think about that?

Maybe it's the media twist that is making me think this abductor was armed.

Here is my point. A responsible person or organization must have criteria in determining a level of alertness.

If your local news station warned you to take cover every time a possible tornado producing storm was spotted in the US but not a threat to your community, you would lose respect for that warning. The same is true if your local news station warned you to take cover every time a rain shower was headed towards your house.

In this case, we do not know if the perp was armed. We can draw many conclusions and one of them is that the perp was armed. We do not know that the perp is dangerous to anyone but Holly. In fact, he may have had the opportunity to harm her brother but did not. Again, we can come to many conclusions and one of them is that he has intent to harm everyone in the community.

Again, placing a lable of "armed and dangerous" on this perp with this evidence is not responsible and does not help the case.

Personally, I'd rather them be safe than sorry. I'd want to know to take this very seriously if it happened in my town.

See my text about a tornado warning above.

Have a good weekend all and remember your mom and Holly's mom.

As with everyone else, I've been to say the least frustrated at the lack of information that LE has provided in this case. I work with LE so I asked one of our detectives what (in his experienced opinion) does he think is going on. In his opinion (8 years as a detective) he thought there are a number of reasons LE could be withholding information. One being to weed out the crazies (as this is a national case) that call in with bogus tips. He said that what most people don't realize is that when a description goes out, that is as vague as this one appears to be. LE gets 100s of calls a day from people insisting they've seen him. LEaking too much information can cause people to call in with tips that sound so convincing because they were able to take all the info from the papers and form a theory/story/tip that sounds very plausible. For example, the time of abduction. If they release everything that occured that morning....someone can call in and say I saw SO & SO who matches the description, dressed in camo, at X time walking out the woods, on the west end of XYZ road, he looked sweaty and disheveled and was bleeding from his left hand. All the info would have come from media reports, sounds very suspicious, LE would have to follow up on the lead (as they should) however, how do you follow up on each and every call with the same story line about 20 different SO & SOs. Since only LE knows the exact time, knows the exact description of the camo, and who's blood it is....it makes it easier to weed out the dozens of calls they were and could still be getting.

See my text about a tornado warning above.

Have a good weekend all and remember your mom and Holly's mom.

I did. I respect your opinion but I still would want to know how serious the concern. To me, it's not a problem that they issued the warning. Some will disagree and that's okay.

This is what I think, and it's not a WS rule or anything, just my personal opinion.

Different agencies operate in a way they think is best for their area. Some agencies may not be as effective as others, but I hope the voters in the area keep abreast of those issues and take care of the problems at the polls.

In my time of watching different cases on WS, I've seen a huge array of how LE handles missing persons cases. And there are a lot of different opinions on how effective those decisions are in finding the missing. In Kyron's case, a poster of his step-mom was issued and that caused a flurry of speculation, to be sure. In the Haleigh Cummings case, there hasn't been a whole lot released at all. Which is better? Can there be too much information released? Not enough released? Does LE know things they should release and aren't? Or do they know much more than we know at this point?

Lots of questions. I don't have the answer but LE is our best bet in finding Holly and I support them.

I'm thinking what some people might be having trouble with here is LE has not given a description of what the suspect looks like, they simply can't, because they don't have one.
LE can only tell the public what Holly's brother saw.
A man, who he at first thought was Holly's boyfriend, leading her towards, or into the woods.
What he saw was a man aprox 5' 10" to 6' tall aprox 200 lbs, wearing camo clothing.
We have also heard that he was white and was in full turkey camo clothing.
These are from news reports, I realize that the TBI had a shorter description on their web site.
I really don't LE was telling the public to be on the look out for a man aprox. 5' 10' to 6' tall weighing aprox. 200 lbs. wearing turkey camo clothing.
LE was telling us what Holly's brother saw, that is all they have, no hair color, no facial hair, no eye color, no scars, no tattoo's, they gave us what they have.

Okay. Lots of questions indeed.
And, lacking further info- I'm going to go back to thinking about this individual:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/robert-william-fisher

He matches a lot of similar reports, and has not been located yet.
Have there been any reports of arson or fires associated within the area?
Thoughts, ya'll?

Kind of OT, but I am reading a book about the beginnings of forensics, much of which took place in France in the late 19th century, and after one murder (part of a serial but not yet known to be) the authorities issue the information that the killer wore wooden shoes. But of course, the region was known for wooden shoes and nearly everyone wore them. Also this killer was a traveler/vagabond and he wandered out of the woods, saw a pretty girl in one instance, and hauled her away and killed her. He hid her body, she was eventually found.

This was 125 years ago or so, but it sounds like this same sort of crime to me, and the wooden shoes=camo, as far as a "clue" goes.

He also mentioned that it could be that they don't want to taint their questioning of locals. If they truly believe the person is in the community, if certain information is leaked it can help "prepare" a perp for questioning. For example, not releasing the 911 call. No one including the perp knows what exactly the brother saw, or what the second 911 caller heard/saw. That kind of information can be used in questioning potential suspects and in shaky terms, used as leverage/bluff. In his opinion, he thinks the brother saw more of this "guy" than what is being reported and with the protection that was placed around the house....possibly could pick him out of a line up. LE just has to find out who "he" is.
When I mentioned that if the brother got that good of a look at his face, and LE thinks he was known to HB, shouldn't the brother be able to identify him. My buddy told me that even in small town, given that both HB and her brother are young, there is no way they are familiar/know EVERYBODY. It could very well be someone who knew HB but not necessarily the other way around. HE compared it to a smaller high school, and asked if I right after my HS graduation would be able to identify by name a sophmore (whom I should have seen everyday for two years) from 50 yards away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member