TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden; believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question I have had is, why is there so much difference between the reward offered for information to bring Holly home versus what they are offering for other people who vanished around the same time?

The governor of Tennessee offered $75,000 for Information in Holly's case, and yet Shelley Mook's reward money over in Bedford County was set at $10,000.

Eventually, the addition of funds by a private donor raised the reward money in Holly's case to $250,000. It really makes one wonder what differences there are in circumstances to justify such a large difference in reward money for young women who have vanished in much the same ways.

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining that?

Articles follow....

http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Holly-Bobo-Reward-Increased-138537959.html

http://www.t-g.com/story/1743978.html

I always thought it was to flush out the "bad guy". Small town, people talk and perhaps if someone boasted about the crime, the huge reward would be an incentive for someone to come forward and tell LE what they know but after a year it doesn't appear to be the case.

At the beginning the theory was the perp was local because they knew the wooded area and the back roads. I think the theory still holds true but for whatever reason whoever knows something ain't talking regardless of how much money is at stake.

A question I have had is, why is there so much difference between the reward offered for information to bring Holly home versus what they are offering for other people who vanished around the same time?

The governor of Tennessee offered $75,000 for Information in Holly's case, and yet Shelley Mook's reward money over in Bedford County was set at $10,000.

Eventually, the addition of funds by a private donor raised the reward money in Holly's case to $250,000. It really makes one wonder what differences there are in circumstances to justify such a large difference in reward money for young women who have vanished in much the same ways.

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining that?

Articles follow....

http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Holly-Bobo-Reward-Increased-138537959.html

http://www.t-g.com/story/1743978.html

To early for me to form coherent thoughts right now so I'll just go with my initial reaction when the reward was raised. IMO she was involved or knew something that was going to be a benefit to TBI or maybe FBI. I can think of no other reasons for the Governor and AG(I think) to become involved in her case when there were so many other missing people. Their rewards were so much lower and have stayed that way. I don't buy that it was done because Holly was an attractive white woman. There had to be another reason. What it was I wish I knew. The private donors have help raise it to 250K, but the Governor helped get the ball rolling. It might explain Karens plea to the President for help. Holly had to know something and due to all the agencies involved, I can only guess that it was drug cartels if ICE was involved with the FBI. Its quite a leap, but I can't think of anything that would fit right now. JMO and probably makes no sense since I'm guzzling coffee at the moment and it hasn't kicked in yet.

To early for me to form coherent thoughts right now so I'll just go with my initial reaction when the reward was raised. IMO she was involved or knew something that was going to be a benefit to TBI or maybe FBI. I can think of no other reasons for the Governor and AG(I think) to become involved in her case when there were so many other missing people. Their rewards were so much lower and have stayed that way. I don't buy that it was done because Holly was an attractive white woman. There had to be another reason. What it was I wish I knew. The private donors have help raise it to 250K, but the Governor helped get the ball rolling. It might explain Karens plea to the President for help. Holly had to know something and due to all the agencies involved, I can only guess that it was drug cartels if ICE was involved with the FBI. Its quite a leap, but I can't think of anything that would fit right now. JMO and probably makes no sense since I'm guzzling coffee at the moment and it hasn't kicked in yet.

Good theory and one that was mentioned by others early on. I don't recall ICE being involved in this case but I could be wrong. Another theory is she was taken for sex slave crime but IMO that is one of the most utilized theories in all missing persons cases.

According to the pastor (Don Franks), fliers were posted in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. I guess another theory would be Mexican cartel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-year-nursing-student-20-snatched-home.html

I don't think this case is as complicated as it's being portrayed but that's always been my opinion from the start.

Were dumpsters ever searched? What type of garbage disposal system do they have in that area?

I realize it may too late to check dumpsters or landfills but just thought I'd ask because it occurred to me this morning when I had to use a dumpster and how easy it is for anyone to just throw out a garbage bag or any type of container.

Good theory and one that was mentioned by others early on. I don't recall ICE being involved in this case but I could be wrong. Another theory is she was taken for sex slave crime but IMO that is one of the most utilized theories in all missing persons cases.

According to the pastor (Don Franks), fliers were posted in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. I guess another theory would be Mexican cartel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-year-nursing-student-20-snatched-home.html

I don't think this case is as complicated as it's being portrayed but that's always been my opinion from the start.

Yeah I meant to mention ICE as a question. I thought I read a mention since we had heard several agencies/LE responding that morning. There are reports of so many drugs there I thought it might be likely she knew who was connected with the cartel. Much like the recent bust in Ohio.

Going back and reading all this stuff - articles, transcripts - is like researching a culture's creation myths.

I spend most of my time rereading prior threads....a lot of great posts.....but none that leads us to Holly.

First,I attempt to list in order of importance the events of that terrible morning. The overriding event was Holly's test. The narrative validates this by ordering the morning routine ...with Holly rising early to study. Then,things begin to alter until the flurry of phone calls...when Holly is no longer focused on her test. Rather she is distracted by a flurry of calls by people who could have solved the misunderstanding among themselves. Now,why???I just cannot reconcile how the test goes from from Holly's first priority ...until its no longer even in the narritive? What are we missing??? It has to be the furry of calls...doesn't it. What other explaination could it be? MOO

I spend most of my time rereading prior threads....a lot of great posts.....but none that leads us to Holly.

First,I attempt to list in order of importance the events of that terrible morning. The overriding event was Holly's test. The narritive validates this by ordering the morning routine ...with Holly rising early to study. Then,things begin to alter until the flurry of phone calls...when Holly is no longer focused on her test. Rather she is distracted by a flurry of calls by people who could have solved the misunderstanding among themselves. Now,why???I just cannot reconcile how the test goes from from Holly's first priority ...until its no longer even in the narritive? What are we missing??? It has to be the furry of calls...doesn't it. What other explaination could it be? MOO

Do we know if this was a routine test, or one that determined her status, for example? It does seem odd that her boyfriend would not only call her, but get her so involved in the issue of whether or not he could hunt at Grandma's that morning, if this was a major exam.

First,I attempt to list in order of importance the events of that terrible morning. The overriding event was Holly's test. The narritive validates this by ordering the morning routine ...with Holly rising early to study. Then,things begin to alter until the flurry of phone calls...when Holly is no longer focused on her test. Rather she is distracted by a flurry of calls by people who could have solved the misunderstanding among themselves. Now,why???I just cannot reconcile how the test goes from from Holly's first priority ...until its no longer even in the narritive? What are we missing??? It has to be the furry of calls...doesn't it. What other explaination could it be? MOO

Good point. From having to study and attend one of the most important, crucial exams (as described by her friend and mom) to having to deal with a hunting misunderstanding on grandma's property. Why would they even bother her with it? It's not like it was such an important event for Drew and his dad, was it? It could have been dealt with when her exam was over.

Which brings me to my next question.....what were Holly's plans after the exam? How long do these nursing exams last? A couple of hours, half a day, full day? Did she have plans to go somewhere with her nursing friends to celebrate?

Holly studied at the kitchen table for a few minutes, then got a call from her boyfriend, Drew Scott, who had been turkey hunting on the other side of Decatur County on Holly's grandmother's property. Since April 2, the opening day of turkey season, hunters from around the state had been entering the woods a half hour before daybreak.

One of Karen's relatives did not recognize Drew and his dad, and Drew explained to them that he was Holly's boyfriend and that Holly's grandmother, Karen's mother, had given him permission to hunt on her 60 acres on the south end of the county. Drew called Holly and told her what happened. That was just before 7:30 a.m., according to the family.

A flurry of phone calls followed between Holly, Drew and Karen about the confusion over Drew hunting on Karen's mother's property.

Karen said she last spoke with her daughter between 7:30 and 7:35, while Clint was still asleep in his room.

Investigators have tried to determine what happened to Holly in the next 20 minutes.

Authorities say they need people to speak up if they saw anything out of the ordinary that morning.

"If you miss a test, it's nearly impossible to pass a make-up test," Brown said. "Holly usually walks in five or 10 minutes before a test starts, and she doesn't miss.

"When she was not here at the start of the test, I started to cry because I thought she had been in a car accident," she said. "When I told the teacher I thought something bad had happened to Holly, she already knew what was going on and she just lowered her head."

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/2...econstruct-time-before-Holly-Bobo-s-abduction

If nothing else, the phone call determined Holly hadn't left for school yet.

Wasn't it already a little late for Drew to be calling her anyway? The article says they usually hunt before daybreak. Karen and Dana had already left so it was before 7:30 am when Drew called.

Good post. I agree. The "flurry of calls" has always bothered me. Referencing back to that Jackson article where I think it was quoted there as "flurry of calls" about the confrontation about hunting......I am just not convinced about that (mentioned before). If anyone is able to re-read that article that talks about the detail times, people calling others, etc.......try reading it with one thought in mind......"alibi establishing". It seemed to me that a lot of the points were trying to declare alibis. Again, maybe it is all true statements in there, but that 7:50 AM wakeup time by C doesnt seem possible based on ALL previous statements regarding when things began happening. So, when when I see the "flurry of calls" statements and the proposed reason why, I am just not sure about it. Call me sceptic, but this case and the way it has been handled forces me to be very sceptic of everything at this point. I have a feeling certain people are trying to protect others in this case. The big question would be who is protecting who.
ALL JMO of course.

Very good point! I think that you make a valid argument. I can't think of anything that should have been more important that morning than the test.

And incidentally, several have argued about whether Holly should have been wearing her nursing uniform or not that day. It seems to me that if she had been dressed in nursing clothes, including nursing shoes, that would have been the description of the clothes put out by the TBI. Instead, I believe it was pink shirt, light colored jeans, flip flops, and now a pink purse is in the mix via Dana's word. I would think the family knew what she wore that morning. Karen saw her. It worries me more that she was taken into the cold, damp woods in flip flops and apparently no coat. It was 41 degrees. I doubt she could have walked very far under those conditions. Every video of searchers walking through the woods shows those people having trouble navigating the terrain in thick clothing and boots!

I find it odd that Lauren Spierer's reward was raised to the same amount close to the same time as Holly's. I also have found it strange that there is a small municipal airport that doesn't undergo custom inspections that is getting regular flights from a small municipal airport in Venice FL. If you google that airport in FL, you will find some mighty interesting things. I believe there is way more to this than meets the eye, and if you look into the history of the area with the major drug trafficking involved, it isn't a far leap to say that the major players might be trading women for drugs. Check out Huffman aviation Venice FL, and your heart might just skip a beat. Mine did. There are way too many questions and no answers whatsoever. Also, check out a story about Al Gore and Whit Lafon and how the investigations into the drug trafficking were stopped. Take a look at the names in the TBI that were mentioned in the article by World Net Daily, and notice the ones that are still serving in high positions. Also notice the sitting judges still in the area to this day. I am from this area of TN, and I can tell you that the corruption is only getting worse, not better. Holly's abduction has shined light in many dark places, and the citizens of West Tennessee will not let it go, much to the dismay of many.

Links please.

I'm familiar with the Gore/Lafon issue, the cocaine theft (20+ kilos) from TBI's new "theft free" evidence locker in the early '00s, and the fact that TBI's current director was its information officer during that time. A good friend of mine is a prof at UTenn-Martin (the school administering HB's nursing program, btw) and has kept me informed.

Linked info, however, would be invaluable.

wfgodot, can you check with your friend and see if perhaps any individuals matching the description of camo man registered for emergency meds/outdoor emergency medicine classes after Holly was abducted? TIA.

wfgodot, can you check with your friend and see if perhaps any individuals matching the description of camo man registered for emergency meds/outdoor emergency medicine classes after Holly was abducted? TIA.
That's really not his area (both in the academic and the sleuthing sense, lol). Will check. Probably a no-go due to confidentiality issues as well.

I have been trying for a looong time now, lol. Aliases not helpful either!
Thanks for trying.

Also have been trying to find a copy of the logs- instructors likely have a copy of those? please ask your friend! and I totally understand the privacy issues, but dang- I want to read them because I want more names!

ETA: the logs nursing students are required to keep. More folks that Holly may have come in contact with.

Somehow I think the actual crime is not as complicated as some people may feel it is. Most crimes are quite simple. People are generally simple minded creatures and crimes are based on simple motives. Greed, lust, desire, anger. They see something and want it, see something and can't have it, etc. This most likely isnt some big Goldfinger or Dr. No type global plan. Somehow I don't see tying this in with Mohammed Atta and the Sept. 11th bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18