Still Missing TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-watching testimony, for those of you who don't live in the sticks like I do, a septic tank usually has a round cement cover (or there may be two of them several feet apart) that is usually covered with dirt and grass unless it has a riser which leaves the cover permanently exposed for easier maintenance. If you don't have a riser you have to dig up and expose the cement cover in order to have your septic tank pumped every couple years. Given that the Daniels' shitter was full its possible they had used a shovel to uncover it in anticipation of upcoming maintenance.

I like the pace of this trial. The judge keeps it moving right along. I think I understood him to say jurors would be moving to other quarters - perhaps had to book rooms in another hotel since they are sequestered. It is smart to hold court on Saturday. If I were a sequestered juror away from home I'd appreciate the court not wasting my time. I can only imagine the expense and logistics of arranging a sequestered jury, with meals, housing and transportation.

People on scene & searches underway when he got on scene. He was to oversee what was going on. Brought in extra resources/agencies. Thinks he got on scene between 8-9 a.m. There were 24 agencies involved. Describing what the various agencies did to help with the search: logistics, drones, traffic control, port-a-johns, etc.

For all the searching done, which was extensive, no physical evidence found to show where Joe was or if he was dead. Sheriff doesn't recall report of a little boy in dirty pajamas but believes if such a call had come in it would have been followed up on. Defense says this was about 5 days after initial search began. There had been a pre-trial hearing determining that this issue was inadmissible because a mother can't testify about what her child reported to her (heresay) because she has no first hand knowledge of seeing a child in dirty pajamas. Prosecutor says defense is in direct violation of that ruling and it needs to be stricken and explained to the jury. Defense wants it entered not for truth of what was reported only that it wasn't followed up on. Also for referring to the missing shoes. Defense claims it was a biased investigation because they would follow up on leads by psychics but not those two tips. Judge says defense is now making same argument previously ruled on. No further questioning about those topics and jury will be instructed to disregard. This is not the same as the excited utterance of 3 year old Noah. Prosecution did not previously object about the mentioning of the missing shoes. The call about pajama boy came from another county and that county investigated it.

On cross re: no physical evidence found Sheriff agreed that defendant wasn't arrested for 48 hours and essentially was free to come and go during that time without being followed. Essentially got a 48 hour head start on law enforcement.
Next witness: Patrick Looney, special agent for TBI's aviation unit

witness is a pilot who flies search & rescue missions for TBI. Plane is equipped with cameras and equipment for searching, including infrared and thermal imaging. Too much to explain here, but it is kinda fascinating what they can do with the cameras and computer imaging

No cross exam by defense

Next witness: Sarah McCartney. Detective with Dickson Co Sheriff for 5 yrs. 10 yrs experience.

Called by supervisor just before 9am, arrived on scene at 9:08 a.m. Supervisor was already there speaking with Crystal. Crystal, Noah, Alex and aunt were there. Not defendant.
Spoke with Alex who says he doesn't know what happened but showed her where he and Joe slept that night, shows her someone used toilet without flushing and he thought it was Joe.
Showed photo of mailbox of defendants mail box at side of road, across street from their driveway. House next door from mailbox has a for sale sign in its yard (Smithson's property). In the next picture closeup you see maroon vehicle parked across the road from the defendant's mailbox. Shows additional previously seen photos of the house, door, mantle, toys by door. Defendant returned to the house, parking beside the road, about 10 minutes after detective arrived. Crystal called and asked him to come home. Defendant was asked to ride with cops and show them where he had been looking for Joe which he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState