TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All we really need to know now, in order to elliminate the husband, is where her pyjamas are and what she was wearing when she was found. If she was wearing her pyjamas, or if they are missing, it doesn't look good for the husband.

BBM

If she was sexually assaulted that would likely eliminate the husband as well IMO.

Any news about COD?

snipped...

Investigators said Swift was murdered, though they won't say how.

The sheriff's department asks that anyone that may have helpful information call either 731-285-2802 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

When was she last seen alive, what time, and by who?

Her husband said he saw her leaving their home around 1:30am. I think there's some truth in that. :innocent:

BBM

If she was sexually assaulted that would likely eliminate the husband as well IMO.

Quite true ... right now, the husband is probably the prime suspect. Given what we know, I can't see this as having been done by anyone else.

snipped...

Investigators said Swift was murdered, though they won't say how.

The sheriff's department asks that anyone that may have helpful information call either 731-285-2802 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

We haven't heard anything about an obvious (blood) crime scene, so it was probably a soft kill, like strangulation. That evidence could still be there ... with the colder temps, if there is soft tissue, there would still be marks (I'm guessing). IIRC, Morgan Harrington (Virginia) was found four months after she was murdered and there was DNA available, although I don't remember if cause of death was determined.

BBM

Maybe, but she had filed for divorce. Desire for control or power and anger are all rapist triggers. He could have raped her and then murdered her to coverup the crime. IMO, it does not exclude him. Divorce typically brings out the worst in people and if he was controlling, it would not surprise me.

Her husband said he saw her leaving their home around 1:30am. I think there's some truth in that. :innocent:

I recall Karen's brother saying that the husband claimed that he spoke to Karen from the top of the stairs, and perhaps he said that she was leaving at that time as well. If the husband claims this was at 1:30 AM, that doesn't add up because Karen's daughter called at about 1:30 or Karen returned home at about 1:30, and then she went to bed with her daughter. If Karen was leaving, it would have to be later than 1:30. Also, there is nothing, other than the husband's statement, to suggest that she left at that time of night.

Quite true ... right now, the husband is probably the prime suspect. Given what we know, I can't see this as having been done by anyone else.

I agree. The car location and "planted"clothes suggest this. A random stranger would not have been worried about pointing the crime scene away from the house. If she had left to meet someone, I believe LE would have found phone data to support this.

The husband did not expect the girls to be home that night. So either he is lying about knowing they came home or he went along with his original plan hoping they would sleep late. I believe the strangeness of some of the evidence shows lack of time and left him with a shorter window of opportunity to stage and coverup.

Sigh...

This one is bringing up some serious deja vu for me (and perhaps for others who followed a recent case in N.C.). Et tu?

On another, but related note, it has occurred to me that Dateline could easily rename itself the "murdered wife & mother investigative show," because I had 4 or 5 episodes queued on my Tivo and all of them were about husbands who killed their wives, then disposed of the body, tried to play innocent, and in the end got caught.

We haven't heard anything about an obvious (blood) crime scene, so it was probably a soft kill, like strangulation. That evidence could still be there ... with the colder temps, if there is soft tissue, there would still be marks (I'm guessing). IIRC, Morgan Harrington (Virginia) was found four months after she was murdered and there was DNA available, although I don't remember if cause of death was determined.

I read on another forum that LE asked after the body was found for a tatoo description from friends. I question if this info is valid bc I would assume they would ask the family unless the tattoo was in a more private location. I also would assume that this info would have already been on file.

If true it would suggest her body is in fairly good condition...

RIP Karen. God I feel so awful for her little girls and of course her family & friends. It breaks my heart though because her one little girl would not eat or drink because she wanted Mommy! :(

I recall Karen's brother saying that the husband claimed that he spoke to Karen from the top of the stairs, and perhaps he said that she was leaving at that time as well. If the husband claims this was at 1:30 AM, that doesn't add up because Karen's daughter called at about 1:30 or Karen returned home at about 1:30, and then she went to bed with her daughter. If Karen was leaving, it would have to be later than 1:30. Also, there is nothing, other than the husband's statement, to suggest that she left at that time of night.

I was being facetious... I do think the husband was the last to see her alive (the time is for sure debatable).

First they will look at the hyoid bone, in the front of the neck. In cases of advanced decomposition, this is one of the strongest indicators of strangulation.
moo

Does DS have the girls and are they allowed to visit their maternal grandma? Things like this are also very teliing. I am just surprised at how QUIET her STBX is. That is something that always raises my hinky flag. Even though their marital relationship was ending, he likely still had feelings for her. They would forever be tied together by their children.

Is there a source for this please?

He said that he saw her from the stairwell when she and daughter arrived around 1:30 a.m., but I haven't read that he saw her "leave". Her son, Preston, referenced her leaving in an interview. I am interested in where this was reported.

Thanks.

Not necessarily - imo

Maybe, but she had filed for divorce. Desire for control or power and anger are all rapist triggers. He could have raped her and then murdered her to coverup the crime. IMO, it does not exclude him. Divorce typically brings out the worst in people and if he was controlling, it would not surprise me.

BBM

I said "likely" eliminates him, I know it doesn't exclude him 100%...

If he did raped her that evening before killing her (this is assuming he killed her) than his DNA will likely be found. I don't imagine he would have used a condom being it was his wife. I think he is going to have a lot of explaining to do if his DNA is found vaginally during her autopsy. The likelihood that Karen and David were still having a sexual relationship after the filing of divorce papers is highly unlikely. I think her friends could corroborate if she was or was not.

In a perfect world DNA would be found, a match would be made and a suspect would be arrested. Whether it is the husband or someone else.

Hopefully we are living in a perfect world for Karen's sake, DNA is found and that person's DNA is on record.

If DNA is found but a match is not I would be subpoenaing DNA evidence from both the neighbors. Mr. Hogshooter and the neighbor that said he pulled up behind Karen's car that early morning but she was not inside. Who's to say she didn't take a ride from him but instead of dropping her off at her house he kept on going to the spot where her body was found?

It is quiet possible someone picked her up from her car and offered her a ride home. There could have even been more than one person, possibly it was a hunter out in the early morning hours. Since her house was on the way to the cemetery where her body was found she could have been offered a ride, abducted, possibly raped, killed and dropped at the cemetery location by a seemingly good Samaritan. The motive for someone to do this would have likely been sexual and I think there would be a good chance DNA would be found than as well.

JMO

ETA: I know it doesn't explain the cloths in the bush. I will have to think about that for a while.

This is another one of those 'Groundhog Day' cases.

Couple estranged or in the process of splitting up, SO last one to see the victim, who is never to be seen again or ..................found deceased.

We really need to keep count of the number of spouses who saw their spouse (ie victim) drive away, walk away, run away after an argument, jump out of the car in the middle of nowhere:rolleyes:, never to be seen again or worse.

Same old, same old....

:(
fran

RIP Ms Swift. :rose:

BBM

I said "likely" eliminates him, I know it doesn't exclude him 100%...

If he did raped her that evening before killing her (this is assuming he killed her) than his DNA will likely be found. I don't imagine he would have used a condom being it was his wife. I think he is going to have a lot of explaining to do if his DNA is found vaginally during her autopsy. The likelihood that Karen and David were still having a sexual relationship after the filing of divorce papers is highly unlikely. I think her friends could corroborate if she was or was not.

It seems to me that if his DNA is found it is even worse because he would probably be the only man she was with that night, and therefore he would be the prime suspect. Especially since they were estranged and planning a divorce. She had gone out to a Halloween party the night before dressed as cat woman. Perhaps he was jealous or angry? That doesn't mean there was ever anyone else - I doubt it, actually, this woman was too busy planning her future jobs to have a boyfriend.

Joe Friday said:
If DNA is found but a match is not I would be subpoenaing DNA evidence from both the neighbors. Mr. Hogshooter and the neighbor that said he pulled up behind Karen's car that early morning but she was not inside. Who's to say she didn't take a ride from him but instead of dropping her off at her house he kept on going to the spot where her body was found?

It is quiet possible someone picked her up from her car and offered her a ride home. There could have even been more than one person, possibly it was a hunter out in the early morning hours. Since her house was on the way to the cemetery where her body was found she could have been offered a ride, abducted, possibly raped, killed and dropped at the cemetery location by a seemingly good Samaritan. The motive for someone to do this would have likely been sexual and I think there would be a good chance DNA would be found than as well.

I wrote a post a long time ago about the fact that an early morning hunter doesn't make much sense. It was supposedly a kids and family hunting day, so most hunters would have had children with them. And this was a rural farm area but there are houses nearby - no real reason to be hunting there.

There's been no suspicion of the neighbor who found her car, as far as I know. And he said her car was empty and had a flat, which was true, and the reason it didn't raise a red flag was because he knew she lived around the corner.

But see my previous post - the dog they brought to the car found no trail of Karen leaving the vehicle, according to her brother on Nancy Grace. It's possible she was never in the car again that night or another vehicle was used to transport her to the graveyard.

Joe Friday said:
ETA: I know it doesn't explain the cloths in the bush. I will have to think about that for a while.
I think that's simple - the clothes were folded, according to one report. I think someone just took them out of the car and planted them in the woods to make it look as if she changed clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel