TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on the issue of if this was a stranger abduction/murder that would have occurred off the highway where Karen's vehicle was found to have the flat tire..why a stranger would have abducted/murdered her and taken her back down to her own residential street to the cemetery located at the end?

A stranger abductor/murderer just happens to dispose of the body down the victim's very own street when he's abducted her from the side of a highway headed toward town?.. He turns around on the highway with the victim and just happens to go back to the residential street of which his victim lives on to dispose of her?

Jmo, no way..jmo, tho.

**Please forgive the limitations that come w/my posting via mobile ATM**

Agree - and the puncture of her tire (forgot if one or more) doesn't make sense...

Any ideas on the issue of if this was a stranger abduction/murder that would have occurred off the highway where Karen's vehicle was found to have the flat tire..why a stranger would have abducted/murdered her and taken her back down to her own residential street to the cemetery located at the end?

A stranger abductor/murderer just happens to dispose of the body down the victim's very own street when he's abducted her from the side of a highway headed toward town?.. He turns around on the highway with the victim and just happens to go back to the residential street of which his victim lives on to dispose of her?

Jmo, no way..jmo, tho.

**Please forgive the limitations that come w/my posting via mobile ATM**

I think it is very possible for a stranger to have committed this crime.

Lets assume Karen left the family home on her own for whatever reason and actually did have a flat tire which caused her to park her car where it was found.

Some stranger (or perhaps even someone she knew) pulled in behind Karen's vehicle and offered her a ride home. Karen reluctantly accepted a ride from someone who she thought was a good Samaritan. This person then followed Karen's directions down the road back towards her house. Karen would have thought everything was OK and wouldn't have been fighting to escape, but instead of pulling up the road to drop Karen off at her home her killer had other thoughts in mind and just kept driving in the direction where Karen's body was eventually found at the cemetery a month later.

If Karen was abducted by a stranger I would suspect she was sexually assaulted and if Karen was sexually assaulted I doubt DS was involved. Since we don't know the COD or whether or not Karen was sexually assaulted it is hard to determine if DS was involved or rule out him out for that matter. If Karen was sexually assaulted it doesn't necessarily mean DNA from her attacker will be present either, other indicators such as her clothing being removed could point to the fact she was sexually assaulted. If no DNA was found on Karen's body then there is no nothing to try and match to her killer and DS can't be eliminated as a suspect either.

JMO

ETA: Karen's vehicle was found very near the intersection of the road she lived on and the highway you are referring. IIRC when Karen approached the highway she would have turned right to go to town, but where the vehicle was found it appeared Karen might of made a right turn from her road onto the highway and then did a U-turn and parked in a pull off in the same direction she would have traveled to home from town. I will see if I can find a map of where the vehicle was found in relation to the roads, I think Otto posted some maps of where the vehicle was found.

Here is one of Otto's maps of where the vehicle was found.

swiftcarhouse.jpg

I think it is very possible for a stranger to have committed this crime.

Lets assume Karen left the family home on her own for whatever reason and actually did have a flat tire which caused her to park her car where it was found.

Some stranger (or perhaps even someone she knew) pulled in behind Karen's vehicle and offered her a ride home. Karen reluctantly accepted a ride from someone who she thought was a good Samaritan. This person then followed Karen's directions down the road back towards her house. Karen would have thought everything was OK and wouldn't have been fighting to escape, but instead of pulling up the road to drop Karen off at her home her killer had other thoughts in mind and just kept driving in the direction where Karen's body was eventually found at the cemetery a month later.

If Karen was abducted by a stranger I would suspect she was sexually assaulted and if Karen was sexually assaulted I doubt DS was involved. Since we don't know the COD or whether or not Karen was sexually assaulted it is hard to determine if DS was involved or rule out him out for that matter. If Karen was sexually assaulted it doesn't necessarily mean DNA from her attacker will be present either, other indicators such as her clothing being removed could point to the fact she was sexually assaulted. If no DNA was found on Karen's body then there is no nothing to try and match to her killer and DS can't be eliminated as a suspect either.

JMO

ETA: Karen's vehicle was found very near the intersection of the road she lived on and the highway you are referring. IIRC when Karen approached the highway she would have turned right to go to town, but where the vehicle was found it appeared Karen might of made a right turn from her road onto the highway and then did a U-turn and parked in a pull off in the same direction she would have traveled to home from town. I will see if I can find a map of where the vehicle was found in relation to the roads, I think Otto posted some maps of where the vehicle was found.

Good stuff Joe Friday, so it would seem like a "no brainer" if the results of the DNA testing were complete if there was a sexual assault, since there has been no arrest are we to assume there was no sexual assault? Or is it possible DNA of the assaulter is not on record?

All I want to know is who killed Karen? Someone did and they need to pay!!!

Assuming there is DNA evidence I think we can assume that the DNA did not match DS and has not yet been matched to anyone else either.

If DNA was found obviously there is no known match through CODIS. Hopefully LE has gone as far as eliminating anyone who attended the Halloween party the night Karen went missing as well by collecting DNA samples from those individuals.

Karen left that night to go somewhere. Perhaps just out to get medicine for her ill child or perhaps to meet with someone she was seeing or maybe someone she had just met at the Halloween party earlier. I would think Karen's phone records were scrutinized and any calls made or received in the days prior to Karen's disappearance were followed up on. Those people questioned, DNA samples taken and eliminated as a suspect. Of course this is assuming Karen left on her own.

Jessica Funk-Haslam's presumed killer was not arrested until nearly a year and a half after her murder when DNA found on a cigarette butt located near the body was recently linked to a DNA sample her presumed killer was required to provide after being involved in a domestic violence issue. (I say presumed because a cigarette butt lying in a dugout at a public ball field isn't very compelling evidence to prove this person killed Jessica, unless his DNA was also found on Jessica herself) CA-13 yr old Jessica Funk-Haslam found dead in park

Hopefully if there is DNA evidence in Karen's case someday a match will be obtained and that person questioned.

JMO

Assuming there is DNA evidence I think we can assume that the DNA did not match DS and has not yet been matched to anyone else either.

If DNA was found obviously there is no known match through CODIS. Hopefully LE has gone as far as eliminating anyone who attended the Halloween party the night Karen went missing as well by collecting DNA samples from those individuals.

Karen left that night to go somewhere. Perhaps just out to get medicine for her ill child or perhaps to meet with someone she was seeing or maybe someone she had just met at the Halloween party earlier. I would think Karen's phone records were scrutinized and any calls made or received in the days prior to Karen's disappearance were followed up on. Those people questioned, DNA samples taken and eliminated as a suspect. Of course this is assuming Karen left on her own.

Jessica Funk-Haslam's presumed killer was not arrested until nearly a year and a half after her murder when DNA found on a cigarette butt located near the body was recently linked to a DNA sample her presumed killer was required to provide after being involved in a domestic violence issue. (I say presumed because a cigarette butt lying in a dugout at a public ball field isn't very compelling evidence to prove this person killed Jessica, unless his DNA was also found on Jessica herself) CA-13 yr old Jessica Funk-Haslam found dead in park

Hopefully if there is DNA evidence in Karen's case someday a match will be obtained and that person questioned.

JMO

Depends. They lived together so DS DNA could have been found so difficult to prove he was the killer. The question would be was anyone else's DNA found?

As far as I know DS has not been ruled out. Nothing official.

Prayers for Karen, her family and friends that this case is resolved soon.
What could be taking so long to move this case forward?

Prayers for Karen, her family and friends that this case is resolved soon.
What could be taking so long to move this case forward?

I would LOVE to know the answer to that question Heavenly! WHAT is taking so long? This seems outrageous to me, I can only imagine how Karen's family must feel :( Imminent arrest must have a different meaning to me than it does to Sheriff Box - grrrr! Justice for Karen!!!!! Now, not later!

on karens fb page(in loving memory of) her mother stated that "somethings are happening that make me happy" I am praying that they are finally able to move forward in Karens case. Her poor mother is simply heartbroken. I continue to offer prayers to her family children and friends. I feel awful that thats all I can do

on karens fb page(in loving memory of) her mother stated that "somethings are happening that make me happy" I am praying that they are finally able to move forward in Karens case. Her poor mother is simply heartbroken. I continue to offer prayers to her family children and friends. I feel awful that thats all I can do

Ditto heavenly! Justice for Karen!

Cases move forward faster when both the body and muder weapon are found...
I think the lack of finding the actual weapon used is holding things back.

Cases move forward faster when both the body and muder weapon are found...
I think the lack of finding the actual weapon used is holding things back.

Karen could have been strangled by someone using their own hands. She could have been pushed down the stairs and died from her injuries.

I far as I can recall there has never been any mention of a murder weapon. I could be wrong and missed that too. If there was mention of a weapon being used in Karen's death could you please point me in the right direction?

TIA

Karen could have been strangled by someone using their own hands. She could have been pushed down the stairs and died from her injuries.

I far as I can recall there has never been any mention of a murder weapon. I could be wrong and missed that too. If there was mention of a weapon being used in Karen's death could you please point me in the right direction?

TIA

Thanks Joe - didn't think about murder weapon being as you said... don't know why I was thinking blunt force injuries...

I've always felt her murder was premeditated. Yes, I do believe there was a lot of rage. I also think she didn't see it coming and was killed rather quickly. Blunt force trauma and possibly finished by strangulation. JMO

I've always felt her murder was premeditated. Yes, I do believe there was a lot of rage. I also think she didn't see it coming and was killed rather quickly. Blunt force trauma and possibly finished by strangulation. JMO

Agree - seems planed!

Bumpin' for Karen!

"I think the sheriff can do better than what he's doing," Fair says.

"They're still investigating. That's good," Wanda says.

"I think he's working on it," says Fair. "But not like they should. I think he could do a better job."

Swift disappeared in late October 2011. Her body was found 6 weeks later in mid- December.

In September 2012, Sheriff Jeff Box promised they'd developed a person of interest.

Last November he told Local 24 News the case was coming to a close. Now it's July.

"The way I look at it they don't know and probably never will," says Redmond.

Sheriff Box was not available to talk Thursday."

Source: http://www.localmemphis.com/news/lo...r-Victim-Karen/d/story/h7tGq4uMB0yaqOUdASgKTg

Sheriff Box - not available to talk?! "In September 2012, Sheriff Jeff Box promised they'd developed a person of interest." Open your mouth and do your job!!!!

Karen's case, IMHO, is a miscarriage of justice! Residents of Dyersburg and Karen's family should be outraged!!!! I am!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans