TN - Karen Swift, 44, murdered, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 *husband charged in 2022* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't followed this case and I don't see much information to support the charge. The couple were in the process of divorcing, but a friend said it was amicable. The couple had divorced before, but had remarried and had two kids after. Both parties had had extramarital affairs during the marriage, but they managed to hold it together. There was no prior history of violence between the two. Divorce and extramarital sex just don't seem like such compelling motives for DS to kill his wife. Just another rocky moment in a rocky relationship is my impression. Why murder her, when history suggests she'll return to the marriage in a year or two like she did before? I must be missing something. Hope the news will fill us in.

Divorcing DS, with 3 (of 4) children still living at home, may mean he'd need to budget for child support payments. KS had been unhappy in the 30yr marriage for a while. I think he belittled her. David didn't want the divorce. Sell the marital home. Split the family and kids. Consequently, he claimed it was amicable so he could keep her close.

I seem to recall the police were interested in their backyard in those early days. He'd have to be able to konk her on the head, which is real bloody, then move her body so it could be secreted or hidden where it was eventually found in the underbrush at the cemetery. I think he chose the cemetery bc she attended the Halloween party without him.

Police have her phone so they know where GPS determines she went the night of her death. They'll know to whom and when she was in contact w/ others.

July 4, 2013
Her husband, David Swift, still lives at there [sic] home with some of their children.
Sheriff Jeff Box wouldn’t say what evidence investigators took from the home ...
Wednesday night was reportedly the third time law enforcement officers have searched the Swift home.
Search Warrant Served At Dyer County, TN Home Of David Swift

FEB 2, 2022
According to WREG.com, Karen left the party between 1:30 and 1:45 p.m. to pick up her car from a friend's house and then pick up one of her daughters, < >.

Afterward, she returned to the home she shared with her soon-to-be ex-husband DS... last person to see her alive.

He told police that Karen tucked there [sic] daughter into bed and then laid down with her. She must have left the house for an unknown reason, DS said.

< > friends spotted her car on the side of the road less than a quarter mile from the house < >. (So DS wouldn't need to jog far to get back home?)

The car had a flat tire. (Someone manually shredded the tire with a screw.) < > One report said the costume she wore to the aprty [sic] was still in the car.

< > died from blunt force trauma to the [front] head... partially clothed... likely with a hammer. There were no defensive wounds. < > had multiple broken bones.

"Somebody ran up to her very quickly. She didn't even have time to get her hands up and protect herself at all. A crushing blow to the head, this was obviously an act of extreme rage," private detective Heather Cohen told Fox17 in 2019.

Box said it took so long to turn over to the DA because they don't a "smoking gun" in the case.

Dyer County: Karen Swift

Backyard of the Smith Home, FEB 2, 2022 Sheriff Search Team
Screenshot 2023-02-19 2.37.29 AM.png
TBI, Dyer Co. sheriff search former home of unsolved murder victim Karen Swift

Oct. 30, 2014 (Karen went missing 3 years ago on OCT 30, 2011)

"Certainly we would like to have an interview with him [David] and surely I wouldn't think it would take three long years to get one," said Terry McCreight, Dyer County Sheriff's Office.

Investigators, victim's mother speak out about Karen Swift murder

Why wasn't the Sheriff able to interview DS? Did I hear the name Farese?

MAY 16, 2012
Attorney Steve Farese speaks on his client's behalf
Attorney Steve Farese talks about Karen Swift murder case

Steve Farese of the Farese, Farese, and Farese Law Firm, that represented Mary WInkler, the wife who murdered her husband, the preacher, was hired by DS when police began searching his property. DS refused to speak to police.

Farese, Farese & Farese Attorney Profiles | Criminal Defense, Personal Injury & Family Law | Ashland, MS

DS has a PD for the current premeditated murder charges. Can't afford that Farese name anymore. I am tickled pink.

"Certainly we would like to have an interview with him [David] and surely I wouldn't think it would take three long years to get one," said Terry McCreight, Dyer County Sheriff's Office.

MAY 16, 2012

Steve Farese of the Farese, Farese, and Farese Law Firm, that represented Mary WInkler, the wife who murdered her husband, the preacher, was hired by DS when police began searching his property. DS refused to speak to police.

Farese, Farese & Farese Attorney Profiles | Criminal Defense, Personal Injury & Family Law | Ashland, MS

DS has a PD for the current premeditated murder charges. Can't afford that Farese name anymore. I am tickled pink.
Hoping they have an eyewitness to DS dragging KS's limp body to his truck...

MAY 16, 2012

Looks like DS is now represented by another distinguished lawyer, Daniel J. Taylor, who is local (Jackson) and probably knows the Tennessee system and its people better than Farese. I wouldn't be surprised if Farese recommended him to try the case.

On Monday, March 6, a hearing was held on several motions filed by Taylor, including a motion for change of venue. Does anyone know when a ruling is expected?

What do we know about the judge, Mark Hayes? He seems to be new, appointed 2021.

Last edited:
IIRC, KS's car was impounded as evidence by the DCSO at the beginning of the inquiry. However, they failed to secure it and a jail inmate got into it, contaminating it for evidence purposes. It was repossessed by the lender I think. Is this a legal issue? Will DS be able to get an order preventing the DAG from using testimony from investigators' examination of the car?

Burton Skaggs March 20, 2023 Facebook post states that the judge denied DS's motion to move the trial away from Dyer County, but said that could change if it proves difficult to set a fair and impartial jury. IMO this is a typical ruling on venue change motions. I didn't see anything about other rulings (motion to suppress, motion challenging experts, etc.). Trial is set for September.

Was able to get this much:

David Swift ,55, was arrested on July 21, by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department in Alabama on charges of stalking. Swift is currently awaiting trial for the 2011 murder of his late wife, Karen Swift. District Attorney General Danny Goodman said a motion has been filed in Dyer County to revoke Swift's bond.

I haven't followed this case and I don't see much information to support the charge. The couple were in the process of divorcing, but a friend said it was amicable. The couple had divorced before, but had remarried and had two kids after. Both parties had had extramarital affairs during the marriage, but they managed to hold it together. There was no prior history of violence between the two. Divorce and extramarital sex just don't seem like such compelling motives for DS to kill his wife. Just another rocky moment in a rocky relationship is my impression. Why murder her, when history suggests she'll return to the marriage in a year or two like she did before? I must be missing something. Hope the news will fill us in.
What evidence do they have?

Was able to get this much:

David Swift ,55, was arrested on July 21, by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department in Alabama on charges of stalking. Swift is currently awaiting trial for the 2011 murder of his late wife, Karen Swift. District Attorney General Danny Goodman said a motion has been filed in Dyer County to revoke Swift's bond.
Jealousy over a new love interest? Trying to intimidate a witness in the upcoming trial?

Re questions about motive in his wife’s murder, I recall a lot of discussion about financial problems for him if Karen went through with the divorce. Wasn’t he experiencing job/ career problems at the time?

Yes there were a lot of financial issues, iirc. First the youngest two would’ve meant years of alimony for David to be paying to Karen for their support and I don’t know if she wanted alimony for herself. I remember she was hustling to make money by her job at the Y teaching silver sneakers and cleaning houses. I think she was also going for a big bonus David was going to get through his work, but I’m not remembering where I read that so I cant link it.

Swift was indicted last year on a charge of murder in the slaying of Karen Swift and is set to go on trial in Tennessee in that case in January 2024
A man awaiting trial for the 2011 death of his wife in Tennessee is behind bars in Alabama, accused of stalking his second wife who divorced him earlier this year.

David Glen Swift, 55, was booked into the Jefferson County Jail in Friday on a charge of first-degree stalking. He remained in jail Monday on no bond.

A man awaiting trial for the 2011 death of his wife in Tennessee is behind bars in Alabama, accused of stalking his second wife who divorced him earlier this year.

David Glen Swift, 55, was booked into the Jefferson County Jail in Friday on a charge of first-degree stalking. He remained in jail Monday on no bond.
He sounds like a real winner.

Not that I’m glad his ex-wife was stalked but I’m glad that DS can’t control his anger, especially right now. I hope the stalking can be brought up at the murder trial. What a creep. I hope his ex-wife is able to find a sense of safety.

I was surprised about the stalking issue because I thought he was still in jail while he waits for Karen’s murder trial.

I wonder what his new wife knows. Is there any chance at all he has slipped and told her something about Karen's death? I am glad she is away from him and is safe. She wasn't even aware of how much he was stalking her. Thankful LE was protecting her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back