TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another case from Tennessee back about a six year old Dennis Martin who disappeared in June 1969 at Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

He has never been found since the day he disappeared. Some folks think this child was abducted and some folks think he had some kind of an accident in the park. The national park is about an hour's drive away from Knoxville.

Dennis Martin also has a thread on Websleuths.

TN TN - Dennis Martin, 6, Great Smoky Mountains Nat. Park, 14 June 1969 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I want to mention that in 1969, the FBI was briefly involved on account that the disappearance occurred at a national park, which was a federal property.

But the FBI quickly determined that they lacked jurisdiction to be involved with the investigation.

Back in 1969, the FBI could only get involved if a person was abducted and taken across state lines.

I don't think the FBI were as involved with child disappearances in 1969 like they are today.

So I kind of doubt that the FBI were involved with the Kathy Jones and the Glenda Sirmans case.

I've been hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains. It would be easy, easy, easy for a kid who was running around on his on to slip and fall off the mountain. I don't know specifically what trail that he was on, but when I was there I stood on the edge of trails and looked down into the huge amount of trees and thought, "if I fell right now, no one would ever know".

I don't think bears got him. They're black bears. They usually are pretty calm.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I could be wrong.

I got the ok from Bessie to post the guy December brought up in post 179 and BOESP found as well. This is my third try to get this posted in one piece, so I am going to go the simple route!

I'll just call him JRJ to be safe. And promised I would provide my links :). He would have been 22 at the time of the murder and I am still looking for address links etc...

here is a rundown:

http://www.wkrn.com/story/15290429/police-parolee-kidnapped-raped-date-held-her-for-2-days

Currently serving life I believe in nashville
2011- kidnapped, choked, hit, ( behind a public place), took to his house, raped, held overnight ...she escaped.

http://ccc.nashville.gov/portal/pls...rg_names=a1&p_arg_values=JONES|JAMES|11131947

This is now not letting me see the charges list, but it was earlier.

It is a long list from 88-2011. For nashville.!
Here are some links to articles naming associates:
http://www.goupstate.com/article/19911221/NEWS/112210312
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...OEEfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ac8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6235,380259

That burglary was planned for years and was over 100,000. Jones was one of 3 participants. 2 others got charged for driving/ planning.

The 1992 charge for this guy is in dillon, sc. I don't have the link for that right now, but maybe BOESP can link it now! I have seen both kidnapping and sexual assault/other as notations.

Working back, I have found a guilty plea in 1982 for criminal first degree sex/lewd act upon a child under 14.

Will get that link ASAP ( if needed that can be snipped till I find my link)

More back. He lived on heather place in the 70s.
http://www.bizapedia.com/tn/ROYAL-STREET-CLOTHING-COMPANY-INC.html
And ancestry.

Heather place is veeerrry close to where Kathy was found.

I have been unable to confirm any other addresses for him at this point.

Happy to be able to get this up here for y'all! Now, to let the night shift take over :).

:takeabow::yourock:
AWESOME post and incredible research!

:nerves: I got the names "Darrell" and "Russell" confused at one point (remember, I don't know this individual). BUT, it is a happy accident because otherwise we... well, the fabulous sleuths here (as in maybe not me).. might not have found THIS individual and Mrs.Tigglesworth would have never sleuthed the daylights out of him. He is probably in prison sneezing with his ears burning!

THIS guy is a real find. Apparently any opposition at all and he starts smacking.

More knives!

These are U.S. military Vietnam and WW2 era.

(first three are Vietnam era, last two photos of the same knife.. a WW2 "close combat" knife)

Attachments

• Vietnam era pilots knife.jpg
    Vietnam era pilots knife.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Vietnam era US military knife.jpg
    Vietnam era US military knife.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Vietnam era US pocket knife.jpg
    Vietnam era US pocket knife.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WW2 US close combat knife blade.jpg
    WW2 US close combat knife blade.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WW2 US close combat knife handle.jpg
    WW2 US close combat knife handle.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
Adcox's children may know something, but maybe not. Adcox knew some creepy things.. I just don't know enough about his personality to know if his kids would know or if he'd try to minimize their exposure

Moo

From the obituary of Adcox's wife, it seems like he was her third husband and the only surviving child was one from her previous marriage.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=51999400
Have you guys found different children?

Knives! From all over the world!

I will calm down with the knives after this... I promise.

(unless I find a really good one)

Attachments

• US WW2 knife interesting handle.jpg
    US WW2 knife interesting handle.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • US ww2 knife with wooden handle.jpg
    US ww2 knife with wooden handle.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • U.S. knife Vietnam era (made in Japan).jpg
    U.S. knife Vietnam era (made in Japan).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 british knife.jpg
    ww2 british knife.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 german enlisted man knife.jpg
    ww2 german enlisted man knife.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
Well, o.k., I have a few more (they didn't all fit)

Also, I emailed a knife seller asking if they know what kind of knife might cause "almond shaped" wounds, so I will see if they email me back. Til then, I'm searching...

Attachments

• ww2 japanese kamikazi knife.jpg
    ww2 japanese kamikazi knife.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 kabar knife.jpg
    ww2 kabar knife.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 knife aluminium handle.jpg
    ww2 knife aluminium handle.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 us anderson knife.jpg
    ww2 us anderson knife.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ww2 US clip point knife.jpg
    ww2 US clip point knife.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Just one more (unless I get an interesting email)

ETA

One thing I noticed after looking at MANY knives.. the Nazi knives are way more tricked out than anyone else's.

Attachments

• ww2 US spear point knife.jpg
    ww2 US spear point knife.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 12
A convict isn't going to brag in prison that they murdered a child, whether they committed the crime or not. They're going to keep their big mouth shut about that subject.

Child murderers are considered to be the lowest of the lowest in prison status, and they would have a very rough time in prison as they're in constant danger of attacks from other inmates when prison guards aren't around.
Good point. A real perp in his right mind would keep his mouth shut. This guy is a reported "mental patient". He did talk to the plant behind bars, according to one detective. But apparently, whatever he said wasn't convincing. As you know, one thing detectives really look for, the thing that will give a perp away, is a statement containing a fact of a crime that has never been released, and that only the real perp would know. I don't think they got that from this guy. :twocents:

For nine years, Mills and Chamberlain came up empty-handed. Then they found a suspect: the skating-rink bus driver, Edward Warner Adcox. He was in jail at the time on an unrelated charge. “We talked a known felon into letting us arrest him on a trumped up charge, and put him in the jail cell [with the suspect],” Mills says. “He says [Adcox] told him how he killed her.”
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

Good point. A real perp in his right mind would keep his mouth shut. This guy is a reported "mental patient". He did talk to the plant behind bars, according to one detective. But apparently, whatever he said wasn't convincing. As you know, one thing detectives really look for, the thing that will give a perp away, is a statement containing a fact of a crime that has never been released, and that only the real perp would know. I don't think they got that from this guy. :twocents:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

For eight years they were absolutely certain he did it.

I don't know what he told the "known felon" or why he told him, but he did. And everyone bought it... for a pretty good while.

We can't look at it as if some random perv would or should talk brag in prison about child rape and murder. We can only look at the fact Adcox DID talk about it in jail (not prison) to the "known felon".

Now, who was the "known felon" and why was he chosen? He might have been someone the police knew that Adcox knew.

I do not know how the "known felon" actually got Adcox to talk. It could be literally any way that one can consider. However, Adcox did not only talk to the "known felon", he later told the police something that convinced them.

ETA

WHY Adcox would've done all of that, I have no idea really. But, I have always heard he told an informer in prison he did it and how. Oops, jail.

Adcox really did tell about the murder while in jail. I've heard that way before the Scene article. I thought it was earlier than what they are describing though by a good bit. But, I can't really ask anyone to be sure when they heard it.

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c1/coe-robert-glen.htm

The above individual Robert Glen Coe did rape and murder an 8 year old girl in Greenville, TN in 1979. She was riding her little bike and he lured her into his car and raped her. Then he strangled/stabbed her (he was unsuccessful with one and went to plan b). This may apply to Glenda more than Kathy. So, I will also post on dear Glenda's thread.

AK! Never mind.

He was born in 1956. Too young. I was too busy looking at his geezer picture.

So, I didn't post in Glenda's thread since while he might have murdered someone when he was 13 (hey, you never know), I doubt he was driving a car.

Jerry Ray Davidson, born 1943.

Horribly killed a woman. She was 43, but still. He is from Dickson Co. which is just west of Nashville.

http://murderpedia.org/male.D/d/davidson-jerry-ray.htm

ETA

I read more of his.. he is a moron. So, I kind of don't think he could have eluded any police force for very long. If he's ever killed anyone else (and he probably has), it was sheer luck that kept him from being arrested rather than any skill.

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/mendenhall-bruce.htm

Bruce Mendenhall, born 1951. Would have been young. Was a long haul truck driver and serial killer. Killed prostitutions and whomever (female) he might find at a truck stop. When young, however, his murder victims and methods may have varied.

Tried to arrange a few murders while in custody. So, anything is possible with this individual.

I need to wash my brain after looking through the "murderpedia" male murderers from TN (which doesn't even have all of them). And apparently, it's people in Memphis who are crazy because waaaay more than half were Memphis people shooting/stabbing/bashing heads. I don't know that I found anything useful, but I thought I'd see what everyone thinks.

I happened to click on this thread because it was the featured case here. I usually read the first couple pages of the featured case and then move on to something else. However this case I sat and read the entire thread from page one to now. Maybe because when I clicked on it and started reading, I was sitting out on our patio with my daughter who was out on the patio roller skating. :(
I couldn't stop thinking about Kathy...the thing that really haunts me about it is thinking of this child carrying her bible with her in her little purse...that innocent little girl should never have had to meet such evil.
I guess the only comforting thing is the belief that she went straight to a place where there is no such thing as pain, and nothing evil is allowed past the gates.
I know my post doesn't add anything and I don't have any new information or leads or anything, but I just felt led to post here just to make it known that there's one more person who cares about Kathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member