TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Adcox was a very good suspect, but later in life he pretty freely admitted to LE the awful things he did to children, but denied involvement in Kathy's murder (this was told directly to me by Mickey Miller, the investigator interviewed in this article). DS is probably the more likely suspect, though I would never rule Adcox out entirely.

A Killing, A Search, A Suspect?
Before Marcia Trimble, there was Kathy Jones
by ROBERT WELLON
DEC 10, 1998

LINK:
A Killing, A Search, A Suspect?

The_Tennessean_Tue__Jun_6__1978_.jpg
The_Tennessean_Sat__Sep_24__1977_.jpg
The_Tennessean_Fri__Sep_23__1977_.jpg

Edward Warner Adcox was a skating rink bus driver who was arrested on suspicion of having raped and murdered Kathy Jones on 29 November 1969. He was never charged.

The man to whom Chief Miller (he's now the chief in Hendersonville) was referring is DS. He has already been named in this thread -- can someone clarify for me whether or not I'm allowed to name him?

He wasn't named in that article because - I'm guessing - because they didn't have enough to charge him. I don't know if that could have opened MNPD up to any sort of lawsuit for naming him.

Anyway, I named him in Flatrock, as he's dead now, and if I remember correctly, I included audio where Chief Miller as well as Lt. Patrick Taylor (who currently handles cold cases for MNPD) named him.

The 1998 article linked above does not state who Captain Miller thought was the murderer. It states that he felt Edward Warner Adcox (the bus driver) did NOT kill Kathy when he re-interviewed him years later.

Captain Miller developed this other unnamed suspect who was still living in the area in 1998.

Hey SDLampley, I am a relative of Kathy's through the marriage of Darrel Steinback to her mother Nora... Darrel Steinback was my great uncle. I grew up listening to stories of Kathy's murder. Between stories about her and Adam Walsh, I was a cautious youth, always being aware of my surroundings for safety's sake. My mother and aunt have both told me of incidents involving them and Darrel that led them to believe he was definitely responsible for Kathy's demise. After Darrel's murder in 2011, Kathy's name was brought up several times. I was told stories of accusations made against Darrel involving the attempted murder of his first wife, molestations of several children, and even an incident involving Kathy's brother Kelly (who later committed suicide after an altercation with Darrel).

I'm not 100% sure if Darrel was Kathy's killer, but Indo believe he had something to do with it. The day she went missing, Kathy had reached out to her father to blow the whistle on Darrel about something that had happened. I believe Darrel got wind of that phone call and was determined to silence her for good. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut and heart tell me I'm not.

If I can answer any questions or be of any help, please let me know.

Thanks for the information. He sounds like a horrible human being who brought a lot of suffering upon the family. He may have been the person that WS member @December referred to when she recounted a story of Kathy's father attempting to attack her suspected killer on the street one day.

Here's a link to the obituary of the man who was married to Kathy's mother, Nora.

Darrel STEINBACK Obituary - NASHVILLE, TN | The Tennessean

Last edited:
Hey SDLampley, I am a relative of Kathy's through the marriage of Darrel Steinback to her mother Nora... Darrel Steinback was my great uncle. I grew up listening to stories of Kathy's murder. Between stories about her and Adam Walsh, I was a cautious youth, always being aware of my surroundings for safety's sake. My mother and aunt have both told me of incidents involving them and Darrel that led them to believe he was definitely responsible for Kathy's demise. After Darrel's murder in 2011, Kathy's name was brought up several times. I was told stories of accusations made against Darrel involving the attempted murder of his first wife, molestations of several children, and even an incident involving Kathy's brother Kelly (who later committed suicide after an altercation with Darrel).

I'm not 100% sure if Darrel was Kathy's killer, but Indo believe he had something to do with it. The day she went missing, Kathy had reached out to her father to blow the whistle on Darrel about something that had happened. I believe Darrel got wind of that phone call and was determined to silence her for good. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut and heart tell me I'm not.

Can you contact me via my website? www.stevendavidlampley.com

Will you please contact me through my website? I would love to talk with you. www.stevendavidlampley.com

The man to whom Chief Miller (he's now the chief in Hendersonville) was referring is DS. He has already been named in this thread -- can someone clarify for me whether or not I'm allowed to name him?

He wasn't named in that article because - I'm guessing - because they didn't have enough to charge him. I don't know if that could have opened MNPD up to any sort of lawsuit for naming him.

Anyway, I named him in Flatrock, as he's dead now, and if I remember correctly, I included audio where Chief Miller as well as Lt. Patrick Taylor (who currently handles cold cases for MNPD) named him.

After listening to the Flatrock podcast, I think Chief Miller was spot-on in believing DS was the perp.

There were a couple of statements made by "Tim" that I believe may have sealed that, and "Tim" may have been who Miller was hoping would open up and tell what he knew. (Since we weren't given his real name in the podcast, I can only assume that based on his close association with DS.) The first thing he said that caught my attention was the mention of the "trunk marks" on Kathy's fingers and how she might have ended up with those. That just seemed a bit too specific for someone with no real firsthand knowledge of the scene or medical exam.

The second was when he was giving his hypothetical account of what he believed happened; he began by saying this was his thoughts on what "probably" happened, gives the account, but then he finishes in a matter of fact fashion with, "That's what happened." I could be wrong, but I think he actually told us what happened rather than giving a theory. It may have been a slip-up on his part, or since DS is deceased, he may have been clearing his own conscience through the delivery of his "hypothetical" account.

DS evidently trusted "Tim" since they had been involved with varied criminal ventures, so it's quite possible he had divulged all the details with him. If he was the man Miller hoped would open up, this case may have been solved and closed with an arrest had he just told whay he knew. His information may have given the police the final bit they needed to drop the boom on DS.

I would like to talk to you. Please contact me through my website: www.stevendavidlampley.com. Thanks, Steven

There is a motel nearby (or was in 1969). It was on the other side of the RR bridge. Motel means it'd be easier to come and go without interacting with staff.

Back then, many people would stay with family. But many of the nearby houses aren't that big so a person might decide to stay at the motel instead of crowding in a small house.

Some people thought they saw Kathy on Sunday, but police do not think she could be out walking on Sunday. I know you didn't mention that, but at first Kathy was considered to be a runaway. So it was a shock to find her dead. But, instead some short time after leaving her house, Kathy lost control of her actions altogether.
December, is it possible to chat with you? In private chat or email if you do not mind. Steven

I reiterate what ive stated earlier and on other threads, regarding abduction homicides of children

The majority of these crimes, are opportunistic, unplanned , committed by someone who lives or works in the area, that explains their presence at the time of abduction.

The offender of these types of crimes, are overwhelmingly male (98%)

The fact the victim is alone is most often the triggering factor for sexually motivated, abductions , the presence of other children does NOTHING to dissuade these types of abductions and often results in multiple victims .

A vehicle is used in about 94% of child abductions

The offender is most often a white male, approximately 27-36 years old, often unemployed, most often working in unskilled or semi skilled labor in the construction industry if they are employed.

They most often live with parents, but may also live with other relatives acting as parents.

About 48% are married, but the marriage will have a history of issues, often sexual issues between those involved, and may even have some type of "agreement" in place.

The fact the victims own clothes were used, to bind the victim bolster that this 1) Wasn't a planned event, and 2) That this was indeed opportunistic. Otherwise I feel the offender would be better prepared with restraints at the ready etc.

The motivation is overwhelmingly sexual but in this case, there is also an anger component, not so much sadism as indicated, earlier.

Torture (sadism) takes time and usually a location where the offender feels hes safe, this seems more like displaced anger. Slower methods of killing a victim are also found more often in cases, of sadistic murder .

There may or may not have been a triggering event prior, to this , im leaning toward it, because of the hostility shown to a 12 yo victim, this could be direct, or indirect, where the victim is simply a surrogate for another individual the individual cant approach.

The typical offender in these types of cases, has a history of frequent moves and address changes, (often due to sexually based crimes) and usually 1 within a year prior to the murder.

The offender has most likely already been interviewed, most are within 48 hours to 7 days but for some reason, LE cannot connect him to the crime .

Hes usually not under any kind of custody status (Probation/Parole) at the time of the murder.

Most often way of procuring a victim is by force or under threat followed by ruse, in this case, i believe it was still daylight, which would make a force grab much higher risk, but a lone child in the freezing cold, could may have been offered a ride in a warm car, and with her socioeconomic status could absolutely be lured via con

This individual would be known as "odd" to those around him , he most likely carried a knife with him most of the time, will have a history of issues with the law, due to impulsiveness, and probably sexual criminal history in the past often involving children.

Threre's an odd spatial factor that holds true on most abducted child murders, in that the murder scene and the body recovery site is usually within 200 feet of each other, and is often one and the same . In other words, the victim is often killed near or exactly where they are found.

The offender is familiar with the body recovery site about 90% of the time

The victims body is most often hidden or obscured from view to avoid detection.

One staggering factor is about 85% of child abduction killers return to the victims body within the first 24-48 hours, and will often subsequently do so until the victims remains decompose, or they body is discovered, in a few cases, the offender returned to that body recovery area following the victims discovery and removal, therefore ANY report of any individual around where the victim was found prior to their discovery should be scrutinized, heavily.

Another troubling fact has to do with the presence of binding .

Now, binding is found in most child abduction murder cases, those who abduct children for sexual purposes, and kill them have been found to bind their victims more often than other criminals, however , in cases, where the child was bound , primarily if the child was young, small or frail, the binding is less about actually hiving to control the victim, and more about the bondage fantasies of the offender.

Of all the types of killers child abduction killers have the highest recidivism rates of all criminals, and are at the highest risk to re-offend multiple times

In cases, where the victim was bound, the overwhelming majority of those cases, actually turned out to be part of a series, therefore if you have a child, particularly one most likely that would not be bound to be controlled, theres a very high likelihood you are dealing with a serial killer .

Post offensive behaviors, changing appearance, getting rid of clothes primarily those worn on the day Kathy was abducted, a strange overbearing interest in the case, he may have been seen or someone bearing a likeness to him at the body recovery site , weight loss, weight gain, increased pacifying behaviors, such as smoking, drinking or drug use. Unexplained belongings, in his possession (trophies), he may spend time around police trying to obtain information about the case, he may have injected himself into the investigation as a volunteer etc.

They may try to find comfort in faith, they may speak to someone regarding the case, and in some cases, they outright confess.

In many cases, there are those who may suspect the individual in question,

The offender may destroy, sell or alter the appearance of his vehicle, he may be observed, cleaning the vehicle, or selling it unexpectedly

Once the initial heat was off, they may leave the area for a period of time, this sometimes, occurs, while the investigation is in the initial stages as well , its often sudden and unexpected with little explanation or for reasons that may not make sense, they do sometimes return once they feel the investigation has cooled off .

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry to butt in but I am new to this whole website thing. I love true crime! I guess because of my family history. Anyway, I came across this by accident really. The more I read about this case the more I was hooked. It hit a nerve. Let's just say I'm a survivor of some horrible things.

Kell1 your profile creeped me out but not why you think. You literally described a member of my family.
The man I'm talking about:
His father wasn't in the picture, he was in the military, worked for C.H. Reese, he married, had an affair (which produced a child and the wife adopted the child), he and wife slept in different rooms ( not sure when it started but my whole life I know they did and I'm 49), he had a thing for *advertiser censored*. He was a drinker and smoker but gave it up and found God ( not sure when). However he was still the same predator even hiding in a church. He had a thing for little girls.
Now here's the creepy part. If my memory serves correctly this person lived approximately 6-8 minutes from Lutie and Krispy kreme.. They moved because the city bought their home to build 440. As far as I know he never had trouble with the law unless it was in his teenage years.

I don't want to point fingers at anyone but I just found that very interesting.

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry to butt in but I am new to this whole website thing. I love true crime! I guess because of my family history. Anyway, I came across this by accident really. The more I read about this case the more I was hooked. It hit a nerve. Let's just say I'm a survivor of some horrible things.

Kell1 your profile creeped me out but not why you think. You literally described a member of my family.
The man I'm talking about:
His father wasn't in the picture, he was in the military, worked for C.H. Reese, he married, had an affair (which produced a child and the wife adopted the child), he and wife slept in different rooms ( not sure when it started but my whole life I know they did and I'm 49), he had a thing for *advertiser censored*. He was a drinker and smoker but gave it up and found God ( not sure when). However he was still the same predator even hiding in a church. He had a thing for little girls.
Now here's the creepy part. If my memory serves correctly this person lived approximately 6-8 minutes from Lutie and Krispy kreme.. They moved because the city bought their home to build 440. As far as I know he never had trouble with the law unless it was in his teenage years.

I don't want to point fingers at anyone but I just found that very interesting.
I forgot to mention. He passed early 2000's. I know of me personally he violated. I find it very hard to believe I was the only one or even the first. It was kept all hush hush back then. And I was a child so they didn't discuss any of that in front of me. All I know is that he lived close to this area at that time. Maybe he knew this DS guy too? Creeps hang around other creeps so who knows.

I reiterate what ive stated earlier and on other threads, regarding abduction homicides of children

The majority of these crimes, are opportunistic, unplanned , committed by someone who lives or works in the area, that explains their presence at the time of abduction.

The offender of these types of crimes, are overwhelmingly male (98%)

The fact the victim is alone is most often the triggering factor for sexually motivated, abductions , the presence of other children does NOTHING to dissuade these types of abductions and often results in multiple victims .

A vehicle is used in about 94% of child abductions

The offender is most often a white male, approximately 27-36 years old, often unemployed, most often working in unskilled or semi skilled labor in the construction industry if they are employed.

They most often live with parents, but may also live with other relatives acting as parents.

About 48% are married, but the marriage will have a history of issues, often sexual issues between those involved, and may even have some type of "agreement" in place.

The fact the victims own clothes were used, to bind the victim bolster that this 1) Wasn't a planned event, and 2) That this was indeed opportunistic. Otherwise I feel the offender would be better prepared with restraints at the ready etc.

The motivation is overwhelmingly sexual but in this case, there is also an anger component, not so much sadism as indicated, earlier.

Torture (sadism) takes time and usually a location where the offender feels hes safe, this seems more like displaced anger. Slower methods of killing a victim are also found more often in cases, of sadistic murder .

There may or may not have been a triggering event prior, to this , im leaning toward it, because of the hostility shown to a 12 yo victim, this could be direct, or indirect, where the victim is simply a surrogate for another individual the individual cant approach.

The typical offender in these types of cases, has a history of frequent moves and address changes, (often due to sexually based crimes) and usually 1 within a year prior to the murder.

The offender has most likely already been interviewed, most are within 48 hours to 7 days but for some reason, LE cannot connect him to the crime .

Hes usually not under any kind of custody status (Probation/Parole) at the time of the murder.

Most often way of procuring a victim is by force or under threat followed by ruse, in this case, i believe it was still daylight, which would make a force grab much higher risk, but a lone child in the freezing cold, could may have been offered a ride in a warm car, and with her socioeconomic status could absolutely be lured via con

This individual would be known as "odd" to those around him , he most likely carried a knife with him most of the time, will have a history of issues with the law, due to impulsiveness, and probably sexual criminal history in the past often involving children.

Threre's an odd spatial factor that holds true on most abducted child murders, in that the murder scene and the body recovery site is usually within 200 feet of each other, and is often one and the same . In other words, the victim is often killed near or exactly where they are found.

The offender is familiar with the body recovery site about 90% of the time

The victims body is most often hidden or obscured from view to avoid detection.

One staggering factor is about 85% of child abduction killers return to the victims body within the first 24-48 hours, and will often subsequently do so until the victims remains decompose, or they body is discovered, in a few cases, the offender returned to that body recovery area following the victims discovery and removal, therefore ANY report of any individual around where the victim was found prior to their discovery should be scrutinized, heavily.

Another troubling fact has to do with the presence of binding .

Now, binding is found in most child abduction murder cases, those who abduct children for sexual purposes, and kill them have been found to bind their victims more often than other criminals, however , in cases, where the child was bound , primarily if the child was young, small or frail, the binding is less about actually hiving to control the victim, and more about the bondage fantasies of the offender.

Of all the types of killers child abduction killers have the highest recidivism rates of all criminals, and are at the highest risk to re-offend multiple times

In cases, where the victim was bound, the overwhelming majority of those cases, actually turned out to be part of a series, therefore if you have a child, particularly one most likely that would not be bound to be controlled, theres a very high likelihood you are dealing with a serial killer .

Post offensive behaviors, changing appearance, getting rid of clothes primarily those worn on the day Kathy was abducted, a strange overbearing interest in the case, he may have been seen or someone bearing a likeness to him at the body recovery site , weight loss, weight gain, increased pacifying behaviors, such as smoking, drinking or drug use. Unexplained belongings, in his possession (trophies), he may spend time around police trying to obtain information about the case, he may have injected himself into the investigation as a volunteer etc.

They may try to find comfort in faith, they may speak to someone regarding the case, and in some cases, they outright confess.

In many cases, there are those who may suspect the individual in question,

The offender may destroy, sell or alter the appearance of his vehicle, he may be observed, cleaning the vehicle, or selling it unexpectedly

Once the initial heat was off, they may leave the area for a period of time, this sometimes, occurs, while the investigation is in the initial stages as well , its often sudden and unexpected with little explanation or for reasons that may not make sense, they do sometimes return once they feel the investigation has cooled off .
Excellent analysis of perpetrator behaviors. It fits guys like John Norman Collins to a T. He murdered a young woman college student in July 1969, and was caught shortly afterwards.

Collins was convicted of only that one murder, but very likely was a serial killer of other victims as well. He has a thread in the Serial Killer topic area of Websleuths.

I agree that Kathy's abduction and murder was probably a crime of opportunity - in that there are random factors in play regarding Kathy's route, time, schedule, etc.

The predator who attacked her was hunting for a victim, and probably was not specifically targeting Kathy.

Sorry it's me again. I did some digging so I checked a few census records to see where this individual I am referring to lived back then. In the 40's census he lived on Pope Avenue and Grand Avenue ( both times with an aunt)and worked as an installer and electrician helper.. In the 50's I checked and that's when they moved to Larmon Drive sometime and states he was a mechanic. I'm not sure when the change over to hvac happened. I know they remained there until the sell of the property for 440. The reason I mention those streets is because wasn't there another case near Grand Ave.? Now he did not live there in the 60's but it could be possible his aunt maybe still lived there at the time.
Maybe my eyes are tainted by personal experience and seeing more than there. Maybe it's because I'm off work for the summer and in my own head. Lol
I just know he wasn't a good man either. No telling how many pedophiles were walking those streets back then. Just sickening to think about. I hope justice happens once and for all.

Excellent analysis of perpetrator behaviors. It fits guys like John Norman Collins to a T. He murdered a young woman college student in July 1969, and was caught shortly afterwards.

Collins was convicted of only that one murder, but very likely was a serial killer of other victims as well. He has a thread in the Serial Killer topic area of Websleuths.

I agree that Kathy's abduction and murder was probably a crime of opportunity - in that there are random factors in play regarding Kathy's route, time, schedule, etc.

The predator who attacked her was hunting for a victim, and probably was not specifically targeting Kathy.
Again remember , they're not usually out actively looking for a victim, that may hold true in the case, of a serial killer but even then sometimes, the victims are selected at random and impulsively

In this case, Kathys killer used her own clothes to bind, her which he had to cut strips of, that indicates to me he was not out looking for a victim, otherwise hed be more prepared, and more experienced.

Kathy was 12 which means shoe could've put up a fight , therefore the bindings in this case, may have had a true utilitarian purpose especially if the offender wasnt physically strong, but again, when we see a child victim bound, the percentages favor a serial offender. Especially if the child is very young, weak, the offender brought the bindings with them , or the bindings applied in some intricate manner

Most stranger perpetrators of child abductions are in the area for a legitimate reason, they're working nearby or they live nearby. The child is usually pretty close to their home when abducted, (within .4 mi in most cases), because they operate close to home or work or along a path they may take regularly, they may actually know the victim in some form in some cases.

The motive for these killings is almost always sexual, meaning the governing reason they abducted the victim was to have sex with them, but that in and of itself may have different reasons.

Most child molestors are not by clinical definition a pedophile, they are adults, with a defined sexual preference for age appropriate men or women, but the child victim(s) is a safer target therefore they are more like a surrogate for what the offender desires, to do with an adult .

With the exception of 1, most child molesters are also not violent, the "Morally indiscriminate " type however is a type of child molester who is bascially a sociopath, globally dissatisfied with everything , impulsive, unforgiving and with no sense of empathy or sympathy. If you ask why they did what they did , they'll usually give you something along the lines, of "why not" or in my experience, they blame the victim.

A good example of this type was Joseph Smith killer of 11 yo Carlie Bruscia in Florida . Smith tried to abduct several adult women unsuccessfully, high on cocaine, he spotted the 11 yo walking behind a car wash, and he impulsively jumped out of his truck, all while on camera, abducted, raped and manually strangled Bruscia.

This particular type of situational offender is at a slightly higher risk to abduct a victim than the others, and often callous indifference to the victim will be apparent.

Smith confessing to his brother John:

Joe "It was just rough sex it got out of hand"
John "Joe she was 11"

In the case, of pedophiles (one who a true defined, sexual preference for children) this changes, a bit
there are 3 categories of Pedophile (Seduction/Introverted/Sadistic), the Seduction type is youre Jerry Sandusky etc... Desires a sexual relationship with victims the way a consenting adult would, however, they are under age. Usually results in staggering numbers of victims, rarely do these types ever commit acts of violence against their victims. In some cases, however Seduction types have become sadistic (Gacy etc..) were not sure of the etymology of that yet, but to seems to occur post incarceration.

The second type the Introverted type is a social misfit, little to no friends, this is what most abduction killers with a true prefence for children fall under. They are marginals socially, they usually live with a parent or someone acting like one, they may even be married, but problems with the marriage will be well known, sometimes, theres an agreement between the parties due to such, if asked what people think about them they are usually classified, as "weird" or "strange" . Their interaction with children is usually brief, they may be caught exposing themselves, to children at a park, they may fondle a child , but if they come across a child with no adult around, they may also abduct them.

The murder, of the victim is usually post rape and only to avoid identification, hence the popularity of strangulation in these cases

The sadistic type is also (thankfully) the most rare, and will almost certainly abduct a victim, without going into specifics, (Because they are horrible) this type can only become aroused sexually gratified, due to the humiliation, suffering, and degradation of their victims, torture, and prolonged methods of killing are trademarks of this type . This type is usually well equipped for what they do , they often have a large vehicle or a home where they can do what they want with a victim...(Gacy/Dodd/Duncan etc..)

However the perpetrator of most of these are usually they are just our in their daily activities, they have a sexual urge , that may be specific to children (pedophilia) or the child victim may be a surrogate for an adult or adults in general they have either an issue with or they desire sexually themselves.

However they for whatever reason (inadequacy, regression, sociopathy, curiosity) they cant or dont acquire an adult partner, or adult victim.

So a lone child becomes, a viable target

The thing we get too caught up on is that if someone rapes and kills a child, that they are locked into that type of crime , thats not true at all , often child killers will become killers of adults, and serial murderers, have few to no rules they follow when they are active .

Situation will also determine how an individual acts, for ex, Ted Bundy went from sweet talking co-eds to their deaths, to randomly and frenziedly bashing female students, to death down in Florida because he was on the run. Conversely Arthur Shawcross, started out by raping and murdering both a boy and a girl, then upon his release, (which never, shouldve happened) he began killing prostitutes .

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89
Back