Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well it seems to me that yelling "he has a knife!" is a lousy way to trick someone into opening the door at 2:30 in the morning. But if my theory and timeline holds up we may be back to the shirt being a clue. The men say they gave her a shirt. They never said they gave her pants...The shirt just happens to match the pants? Next thing I want to examine is did she really mention a Tina from Indiana as the two men have said? 30 miles to the north the body of Tina Marie Farmer of Indiana was found at roughly the same time. Was a Jane Doe herself until recently. Connection?

Well it seems to me that yelling "he has a knife!" is a lousy way to trick someone into opening the door at 2:30 in the morning. But if my theory and timeline holds up we may be back to the shirt being a clue. The men say they gave her a shirt. They never said they gave her pants...The shirt just happens to match the pants? Next thing I want to examine is did she really mention a Tina from Indiana as the two men have said? 30 miles to the north the body of Tina Marie Farmer of Indiana was found at roughly the same time. Was a Jane Doe herself until recently. Connection?

Hmmm. You could be onto something there.

You can go back and read the whole thread, I said the same thing about the shirt matching the pants. It just seemed odd to me that they just happened to have a shirt the same color. Plus it fit her...

I know the clothing has been discussed here a lot but I can't help thinking about it when I see this thread...

Assuming that the Dolphins shirt was hers, why would she be dressed up as if going to a football game in late May? The 1987 season didn't start until September 13: Miami Dolphins 1987 Regular Season Schedule - NFL.com

I know people wore those jersey's at anytime but she had matching pants too as if going to tailgate party... Were there any preseason practices or special Miami Dolphin's events going on in late May or early June 1987? Either the clothes were relevant to where she was going or coming from before the men picked her up or they were irrelevant and just an indication of her style at the time. Unfortunately the clothing doesn't really help us to identify her unless there was some special event she could be trying to hitchhike to or hitchhiking home from.

MOO.

I found this link to be rather helpful as far as narrowing down when the jersey may have been made:
The Gridiron Uniform Database

Here’s another one, not quite as thorough but a good reference I suppose:
Miami Dolphins Uniform and Team History | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys

*ETA: the info I found on a few players. I apologize if it’s been mentioned

32 - Pete Roth: (1987) Born 1962, Northern Illinois College, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1987 (replacement)

32 - Donald Brown: (1986) Born 1963 Annapolis, Maryland, Annapolis (Maryland) High School, University of Oklahoma & University of Maryland, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1986, San Diego (California) Chargers 1986, New York Giants 1987

32 - Tommy Vigorito: (1981-5) Born 1959 Passaic, New Jersey, University of Virginia Cavaliers, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1981-1985

32 - Benny Malone: (1974-8) Born 1952 Tyler, Texas, Santa Cruz (California) High School, Arizona State, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1974-78, Washington Redskins 1978-79 (wrong Jersey fabric/screening)

32 - Hubert Ginn: (1970-5) Born 1947 Savannah, Georgia, Savannah (Georgia) Tompkins High School, Florida A&M, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1970-75, Baltimore (Maryland) Colts 1973, Oakland (California) Raiders 1976-78 (wrong Jersey fabric/screening)

32 - Joe Auer: (1966-7) Born 1941 Trenton, New Jersey, Coral Gables (Florida) High School, Georgia Tech, Buffalo (New York) Bills 1964-65, Miami (Florida) Dolphins 1966-67, Atlanta (Georgia) Falcons 1968 (wrong Jersey design)

Some possibilities I did not see suggested before from my searches of this thread:

Alexis Owens-- Runaway teen from Washington State, missing since April 15, 1987. She was arrested in California after she ran away but I could not find the dates of the arrests. If the arrests were right after she left home then there could be enough time for her to get arrested and then decide to leave CA and hitchhike East. She is listed at 5'2" which may be on the short time but since she was a teen who knows if that height is accurate-- she could have grown a couple inches since the last time she was measured.
WA - WA - Alexis Owens, 16, Port Orchard, 15 April 1987
Alexis Christina Owens – The Charley Project

Westie Knauer -- 31 year old missing from Oregon since Apr 1987, her mom reported her missing in June after not seeing her or hearing from her for 2 months. There is not much known about her case but our WS members found some court records showing she had pending theft and forgery charges right before she disappeared. Her legal troubles may have been a motive for her to decide to go on the run and in a few months time she easily could have been in TN.
OR - OR - Westie Knauer, 32, Portland, 1 April 1987
Westie Leta Knauer – The Charley Project

Diana Jane Braungardt - 18 year old missing from Crystal City, Missouri since March 11, 1987. Circumstances seem suspicious like she may have been kidnapped from a mall parking lot where she worked. There is a sketch of the suspect. What got my attention is that she was wearing bright turquoise pants when she was last seen. Those pants could have matched the Dolphin's jersey. Her height and weight (5'8" and 108 lbs) seems to fit the thin build of Jane Doe as well even if she was thought to be 2 inches taller. My theory for connecting her to this case would be that she was kidnapped and had been held somewhere and this was her first chance to escape. As unlikely as that may seem, it's technically possible as we know about other kidnapped victims that were held alive.
MO - MO - Diana Braungardt, 18, Crystal City, 11 March 1987
Diana Jane Braungardt – The Charley Project

(Please feel free to submit if any of these sound like good possibilities. I just like to suggest matches here :) )

MOO.

Some possibilities I did not see suggested before from my searches of this thread:

Alexis Owens-- Runaway teen from Washington State, missing since April 15, 1987. She was arrested in California after she ran away but I could not find the dates of the arrests. If the arrests were right after she left home then there could be enough time for her to get arrested and then decide to leave CA and hitchhike East. She is listed at 5'2" which may be on the short time but since she was a teen who knows if that height is accurate-- she could have grown a couple inches since the last time she was measured.
WA - WA - Alexis Owens, 16, Port Orchard, 15 April 1987
Alexis Christina Owens – The Charley Project

Westie Knauer -- 31 year old missing from Oregon since Apr 1987, her mom reported her missing in June after not seeing her or hearing from her for 2 months. There is not much known about her case but our WS members found some court records showing she had pending theft and forgery charges right before she disappeared. Her legal troubles may have been a motive for her to decide to go on the run and in a few months time she easily could have been in TN.
OR - OR - Westie Knauer, 32, Portland, 1 April 1987
Westie Leta Knauer – The Charley Project

Diana Jane Braungardt - 18 year old missing from Crystal City, Missouri since March 11, 1987. Circumstances seem suspicious like she may have been kidnapped from a mall parking lot where she worked. There is a sketch of the suspect. What got my attention is that she was wearing bright turquoise pants when she was last seen. Those pants could have matched the Dolphin's jersey. Her height and weight (5'8" and 108 lbs) seems to fit the thin build of Jane Doe as well even if she was thought to be 2 inches taller. My theory for connecting her to this case would be that she was kidnapped and had been held somewhere and this was her first chance to escape. As unlikely as that may seem, it's technically possible as we know about other kidnapped victims that were held alive.
MO - MO - Diana Braungardt, 18, Crystal City, 11 March 1987
Diana Jane Braungardt – The Charley Project

(Please feel free to submit if any of these sound like good possibilities. I just like to suggest matches here :) )

MOO.

Braungardt has a decent resemblance. A two-inch height discrepancy isn't really significant. March to June isn't really that long to have been held captive, especially if they were traveling around the country from truck stop to truck stop prostituting her along the way.

Were they able to tell if the tattoo was fresh or if it looked like older ink? The issue I seen with Braungardt was she was a preachers daughter, so I highly doubt she would of had that tattoo before she went missing....

Has Heidi Ann Zampell been ruled out? Height is a little off, and isotoping showed more northern. But she did have on a Florida shirt. But what sticks out most to me is she had protruding collar bones (SJD autopsy noted healed fractured collar bones), an 8 inch abdominal scar and she had a slight hunch to her back...from possible back issues/issues?

FL - FL - Heidi Ann Zampell, 22, Naples, 18 June 1987

Has Heidi Ann Zampell been ruled out? Height is a little off, and isotoping showed more northern. But she did have on a Florida shirt. But what sticks out most to me is she had protruding collar bones (SJD autopsy noted healed fractured collar bones), an 8 inch abdominal scar and she had a slight hunch to her back...from possible back issues/issues?

I don't see her name on the exclusions (252 names)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Were they able to tell if the tattoo was fresh or if it looked like older ink? The issue I seen with Braungardt was she was a preachers daughter, so I highly doubt she would of had that tattoo before she went missing....

There is a picture of the tattoo and it looks crudely drawn and home-inked to me. IMO, this something a bored teenager would do to themselves:
607UFTN_tat.jpg

The Doe Network: 607UFTN

I wouldn't say that preachers daughters are all innocent and wouldn't know how to give themselves a tattoo like that. Where I grew up the pastors kids were the ones always getting into trouble as teens OR they were the ones who knew best how to do bad things without getting caught, lol. If she never wore tank tops or sleeveless shirts then her family would never see that tattoo on her upper arm and may not know about it. It's on the left arm too which makes it easy for someone who is right handed to ink on to themselves. MOO.

I don't think it's possible as she went missing weeks after this Jane Doe was shot and Heidi's missing date seems pretty firm (she worked at her job that day). Knox County Jane Doe was shot on June 1, 1987.

Shotgun Jane most likely has a child out there but it's possible she gave the child up for adoption or the baby died.

I know the clothing has been discussed here a lot but I can't help thinking about it when I see this thread...

Assuming that the Dolphins shirt was hers, why would she be dressed up as if going to a football game in late May? The 1987 season didn't start until September 13: Miami Dolphins 1987 Regular Season Schedule - NFL.com

I know people wore those jersey's at anytime but she had matching pants too as if going to tailgate party... Were there any preseason practices or special Miami Dolphin's events going on in late May or early June 1987? Either the clothes were relevant to where she was going or coming from before the men picked her up or they were irrelevant and just an indication of her style at the time. Unfortunately the clothing doesn't really help us to identify her unless there was some special event she could be trying to hitchhike to or hitchhiking home from.

MOO.

Back then we wore what we liked. I wouldn't read too much into it. She could have liked the Dolphins or just wore the shirt because it matched her pants.

And Tina Marie Farmer was from Indiana!

From what I'm seeing on google, Tina has been found as a doe

This is all or most of the info about the Dolphins shirt. I had contacted a Dolphins expert, basically, he needed to see if there was a logo on the back of the shirt to date it. Otherwise it's just guessing. Maybe C. Walter Brown can get a photo of the back

Miami did make it to the Super Bowl in 1983 and 1985; against the Redskins in 83 and 49'ers in 1985.

I started typing another post this morning then switched to my other computer..

I wondered about the shirt. I have multiple pages open looking to see who was good enough on the Dolphins to get a shirt made with their number (32) but didn't really come up with much.

Dolphins shirts are hard to get in some states. My hubby is a fan. I wonder if it was bought local or if it was her's or someone gave it to her. I wish I could find more of her online, larger pic of the shirt. I asked hubby if he knew who wore 32, he did not. The shirt probably doesn't matter, but you never know. It does not look like a Dan Marino jersey I found from 1984

Apparently her face was just reconstructed right before this post was originally made
blog? It says: Jul. 25th, 2008 at 11:58 PM I put her skull back together last Wednesday.

What was left of it link to comments page

She had an injury history, I'll say that. Both legs plus wrist & clavical have been broken as well as back problems.
Going to add my original thoughts from this morning when I was on my other computer.

I don't know if the shirt is of any use to you guys.

Dolphin stats
Miami Dolphins Jersey #32
32 - Benny Malone (1974-8)
32 - Tom Vigorito (1981-5)

My hubby is into the Dolphins, I mentioned these 2 names to him, he's never heard of either of the 2 guys I posted. I'll have to see if I can dig up more when he gets back. IMO, the Jersey will probably identify a few possible states she's been in. My hubby says #32 is one of the Running back's, so I'd have to see if I could figure out which one was notable enough for a shirt.

It's very hard to find Dolphin's stuff where I'm at. My guess would be that back in the late 80's you'd have to be in one of the Southern states to buy one unless the Phins were playing in another state.
This was the answer I received about #32 on the shirt. I'm going to see if this person can date it.

The following is a list of players that wore number 32 for the Dolphins in at least one regular season snap:
Joe Auer (1966-67); Hubert Ginn (1970-73); Benny Malone (1974-78); Tom Vigorito (1981-85); Donald Brown (1986); *Pete Roth (1987); Garrett Limbrick (1990); Bruce Alexander (1992-93); Aaron Craver (1994); Cleveland Gary (1994); Jerris McPhail (1996-97); J.J. Johnson (1999-01); Charlie Rogers (2003); Jamar Martin (2004); Jason Allen (2006-)
The guy got back to me about trying to date the shirt:

Hi Rose,
There really is no good way of telling from looking at the shirt as there was no Dolphins logo (changed in the 70s) on the shirt.

oh well.
Yeah, I'd hoped that would tell us something.
If I have time, I will go back to the database I started making of games Dolphins played back then.

It would be nice to know if there was a logo on the back because according to the expert I spoke to, that would date the shirt. I was hoping he could date it with the shoulder stripes.

I'm new too, it appears there probably won't be much done because she's thought to have tried to rob someone.

Would be nice to have an email addy for Detective Eddie Barton

This is about pelvis markings and what looked like an emergency C-section

I'm out; look at the first hundred posts; one by MadeaBecBec called pertinent info. A forensic anthropologist had examined her bones; said the pelvis showed signs that she had previously given birth. Its thought that the baby got stuck; they had to do a c section.

I doubt SJD is currently listed as an MP especially with NamUs having DNA on just about every MP. I don't have a current NamUs password to even look if they still list DNA.

SJD was one of the 1st Does I advocated for. She has a very special place in my heart. We did a lot of research on the jersey even though LE said the guys gave it to her. She supposedly was wearing a tank top that we've never seen.

I have a great possible for her but the family stopped answering me. I told them to list her on NamUs or I'd be happy to do it. I doubt they did. I can only help when they answer.

I'm hopeful that DNA Doe Project will take her case one day. That's the only way she will get her name.

You really do have to read the whole thread because we busted our butts on her case. Theres a lot of history in the 1st few hundred posts
Oh that's hard Rose I wish they would answer , but you know some people can't or wont deal, but just in case I haven told you lately
YOU ARE WONDER FREAKIN WOMAN!!! :D

(snipped by CB)

From what I'm seeing on google, Tina has been found as a doe

Yes. In one version of the story, the two men are said to have said that she talked about a friend Tina from Indiana. We were wondering if that might be Tina Farmer, who was found not very far away a year or two before.

I suspect there's too much time between the two deaths, though.

I don't know. For the sake of argument, let us say they had traveled together maybe in 1984. Our Jane Doe was wearing tennis shoes sold at KMart and they were almost worn out. (I had a tennis shoe expert identify the shoes from a crime scene photo... The company is still in business and agrees it is their shoe) This tells me she may have been on the road for a while. Her and "Tina" separated in maybe 1986. Tina tells her she's going to Knoxville. Does our girl in 1987 travel toward Knoxville trying to hook back up with Tina? We may never know, but I just find this to be a huge coincidence. I don't believe in those.

The problem with clothing and even the shoes is that she could have picked them up in a shelter or anywhere else.

The jersey though was from a lesser-known player. I doubt that this jersey would have been available even in shelters or thrift stores in a wide area.

I just think we need to start over here, we missed something or made a wrong turn. I would love to know the basis for each exclusion, there are two in particular. Most are DNA and that is fine. But hair color? Age?

Isotope testing? I put little faith in that. It simply says she spent the majority of her time here or there. She could have spent the last two years in Oregon for example and received her injuries there. She would be missing from Oregan for example. (No suspect I just used Oregan as an example)

A doctor from the 90's who has seen the bones tells me the knitting showed two to three years of repair putting her injuries in 1983 ,84, 85.

My theories?

1) Our girl aged out of a children's home and therefore nobody to report her missing.
2) Our girl was ruled a homicide victim and therefore nobody is looking for her. Recently a man was released from prison after 20 years when his "victim" was found alive.
3) An erroneous rule out
4) The BH tattoo is her child, not herself or boyfriend.

I thought one of the guys gave her the jersey , I thought I had read that? wayyyy upthread

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMpavashootski
Back