Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought one of the guys gave her the jersey , I thought I had read that? wayyyy upthread

Yes, that is what the guys said, but I think some of us were debating if that was true or not. I'm not sure why they would lie about giving her the jersey to wear but I think some of us were thinking it could have been hers because those guys were not innocent bystanders in this situation. She happened to be wearing pants that matched the Dolphins Jersey which seems like quite a coincidence if it was a borrowed shirt that the guys just happened to have with them.

MOO.

Yes, that is what the guys said, but I think some of us were debating if that was true or not. I'm not sure why they would lie about giving her the jersey to wear but I think some of us were thinking it could have been hers because those guys were not innocent bystanders in this situation. She happened to be wearing pants that matched the Dolphins Jersey which seems like quite a coincidence if it was a borrowed shirt that the guys just happened to have with them.

MOO.
honestly I'm betting they did, back in the late 80 everyone was wearing those with matching pants and white tee shirts , I had a steelers outfit I just liked the color not a big fan but I bet if they did give it to her it was because he had a tee shirt underneath !

Was it ever said if the pants fit her? Or the size of the men with her? Could she have also borrowed the pants? If one of the men was slim, I could see it possibly fitting her?
that begs the question was she naked and if not where did the clothes she had on go ?

Wasn't it mentioned that the tank top she had been wearing prior was not under the jersey but elsewhere, I thought I had read somewhere that her clothes had been found in the men's house? I could be mixing up cases...I'm going to have to go back and read now.

Wasn't it mentioned that the tank top she had been wearing prior was not under the jersey but elsewhere, I thought I had read somewhere that her clothes had been found in the men's house? I could be mixing up cases...I'm going to have to go back and read now.
Me too as I age I'm starting to admire how my younger self could remember every single detail and now poof I cant remember jack! and not liking it either !

Jane's clothes were dingy and believed to have been worn for days, the men had given her the Dolphins shirt and the pants she was wearing were well-worn and thin

Does this mean that she was given the pants also? That was how I took this statement, but I could of misinterpreted it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I happened to stumble upon it when I was looking for more information on SJD.

In 2014 a tooth was sent to Smithsonian Institute for isotope testing and came back to one of ten states: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Virginia, or West Virginia.

Also noted that Synthes the manufacture of the metal plate in her leg stated the lot number on the plate indicated the injury would of happened between 1985-1986.

Her ears were not pierced.

With the timeline submitted in testimony there is a five to ten minute window. This would involve getting to the building, giving clothes, putting clothes on and running to the house to get shot. The two women gave a description of the car and said it was at their house. Building the men were supposedly in was 1000 feet from the home. They drove there? Not buying it at all. Both men were fairly large men. I will admit to being distantly related to one. I'll put my money on those being her clothes. Why did they say that? They were playing the good samaritan card. When the police are grilling you I doubt you would say, "was gonna give her a good raping but she got away." You must understand that these same characters would later be involved in the hanging of a man and beating him with a two by four while he dangled. Not the pillars of truth in any stretch of the term.

With the timeline submitted in testimony there is a five to ten minute window. This would involve getting to the building, giving clothes, putting clothes on and running to the house to get shot. The two women gave a description of the car and said it was at their house. Building the men were supposedly in was 1000 feet from the home. They drove there? Not buying it at all. Both men were fairly large men. I will admit to being distantly related to one. I'll put my money on those being her clothes. Why did they say that? They were playing the good samaritan card. When the police are grilling you I doubt you would say, "was gonna give her a good raping but she got away." You must understand that these same characters would later be involved in the hanging of a man and beating him with a two by four while he dangled. Not the pillars of truth in any stretch of the term.
Can we name them , were they ever named in MSM ?

I agree with you that the car driving down there and them being that close is pretty questionable. Wonder if they were driving to the building and she knew they were gonna hurt her and she jumped from the car and ran to the closest house.

When the police are grilling you I doubt you would say, "was gonna give her a good raping but she got away.......
@C. Walter Brown Exactly! And my sympathies on the distant relationship ;)

Everyone needs to read this post from the other day. Everyone needs to read all of his posts which I'll dig up to make it easier. He went back to the beginning with actual news reports and other documents blowing the story out the water

Facts and truth are subjective terms. While seemingly written in stone what are deemed facts and truth are in the eyes of the person telling the story. I have gone back to original court records and newspaper articles at the time. What I have found is that most everyone is both right and wrong. The story you are most often to see on the internet is that this Jane Doe was brought to Knoxville by two truck drivers. The facts in court testimony is that she was brought to Knoxville in a car owned by 76 year old Percy Preston, who had been carjacked basically by two men. Percy testified in Greene County Tennessee that he had picked up three hitchikers. Two men and a woman. Percy identified the two men, but not the Jane Doe as being the woman. He would instead identify a Sue Spivey as being the woman. She would be charged with theft from Percy Preston. Neither men had ever been truck drivers.

According to court records and newspaper accounts... (keep in mind that Bristol is both in Virginia and Tennessee)
76 year old Percy Preston left his home in Bristol Virginia headed for Knoxville in the early hours of Sunday morning. He testified that he came across three hitchhikers and picked them up. Percy further testified that after picking the three up they gained control of his car between Bristol Tennessee and Knoxville. Being their captive they robbed him and drove him in his car around Knoxville all day. At some point they took the woman back to her home on Dry Gap road and then started driving Percy back to Bristol Virginia.

The two men stopped at a rest stop on I-81 where they found our Jane Doe at about 1:15. They pushed Percy from the car and picked up our Jane Doe. They proceeded back south to Knoxville, a 55 minute drive. At 1:30 police were called to the rest stop for the disoriented Percy Preston. One hour later our Jane Doe was shot on the porch in Knoxville.

The men would testify that they had been partying with the Jane Doe in an abandoned building. They had loaned her a shirt because hers was worn out. If it took 55 minutes to drive to the death scene and she was killed 60 minutes after being picked up, they had no time to party and probably no time to loan her a shirt. It is my opinion she jumped from the car, ran to the house screaming, "he has a knife" trying to escape the two men. The ladies in the house as well as the 911 operator testified hearing her yell, "he has a knife."

The two women in the house called the police because Jane Doe was beating on their door screaming. When Jane Doe tried to open the door one of the ladies shot and killed her. They gave a description of the fleeing men and the car. The car would be found one block from the scene of the shooting covered in brush. It was the 1977 Chevy Impala registered to Percy Preston.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to read this post from the other day. Everyone needs to read all of his posts which I'll dig up to make it easier. He went back to the beginning with actual news reports and other documents blowing the story out the water

Facts and truth are subjective terms. While seemingly written in stone what are deemed facts and truth are in the eyes of the person telling the story. I have gone back to original court records and newspaper articles at the time. What I have found is that most everyone is both right and wrong. The story you are most often to see on the internet is that this Jane Doe was brought to Knoxville by two truck drivers. The facts in court testimony is that she was brought to Knoxville in a car owned by 76 year old Percy Preston, who had been carjacked basically by two men. Percy testified in Greene County Tennessee that he had picked up three hitchikers. Two men and a woman. Percy identified the two men, but not the Jane Doe as being the woman. He would instead identify a Sue Spivey as being the woman. She would be charged with theft from Percy Preston. Neither men had ever been truck drivers.

According to court records and newspaper accounts... (keep in mind that Bristol is both in Virginia and Tennessee)
76 year old Percy Preston left his home in Bristol Virginia headed for Knoxville in the early hours of Sunday morning. He testified that he came across three hitchhikers and picked them up. Percy further testified that after picking the three up they gained control of his car between Bristol Tennessee and Knoxville. Being their captive they robbed him and drove him in his car around Knoxville all day. At some point they took the woman back to her home on Dry Gap road and then started driving Percy back to Bristol Virginia.

The two men stopped at a rest stop on I-81 where they found our Jane Doe at about 1:15. They pushed Percy from the car and picked up our Jane Doe. They proceeded back south to Knoxville, a 55 minute drive. At 1:30 police were called to the rest stop for the disoriented Percy Preston. One hour later our Jane Doe was shot on the porch in Knoxville.

The men would testify that they had been partying with the Jane Doe in an abandoned building. They had loaned her a shirt because hers was worn out. If it took 55 minutes to drive to the death scene and she was killed 60 minutes after being picked up, they had no time to party and probably no time to loan her a shirt. It is my opinion she jumped from the car, ran to the house screaming, "he has a knife" trying to escape the two men. The ladies in the house as well as the 911 operator testified hearing her yell, "he has a knife."

The two women in the house called the police because Jane Doe was beating on their door screaming. When Jane Doe tried to open the door one of the ladies shot and killed her. They gave a description of the fleeing men and the car. The car would be found one block from the scene of the shooting covered in brush. It was the 1977 Chevy Impala registered to Percy Preston.

I actually live here in Knox County and came across this case while researching my next book. This girl stuck in my head for some reason. I am leaning toward another track. I am wondering why this young lady was not reported missing. I believe she wasn't as many of you and I again have been through the databases. I recently applied to Interpol just in case she was from Canada. Working hypothesis....Injuries (previous healed) sustained in car crash. Was she left an orphan of a state? In the early 80's some children's homes still existed. Lets say she timed out of the home (turned 18). I have seen cases where these unfortunates were given money, a change of cloths and let loose to find their own way. Could this be the source of her medical treatment? Was there nobody left to say that she was missing? Just a theory. But I am trying to get a friend at Local LE to submit the BH tattoo to the Fusion Center in Nashville. This will tell us if there is a match of this tattoo to a previous arrest before 1987 in TN and surrounding states. I am at the newspaper archive right now and will write up a reported chronological set of events when I have it compiled. Oh and local authorities at the time tell me they don't think if she was homeless, that she had been homeless long.

Narrative of Events Regarding Shotgun Jane Doe
Synopsis taken from newspaper articles in the Knoxville News Sentinel archives.
Anything with ** before it is my thought and not part of the synopsis.

Percy Preston 76, of Bristol Virginia picked up two men and a woman hitchhiking. He claims he does not remember where he picked them up.

**This is in sharp contrast to the previous theory that she was picked up by two men at a rest stop.

Percy had left his home Saturday night in a white 1977 Impalla and had picked the three up some time Sunday morning.

**Bristol Virginia stradles the Tennessee-Virginia line and is half in Tennessee and half in Virginia. It is just north of the rest stop everyone mentions previous. This leads me to believe he may have picked them up at this rest stop.

The elderly Preston claims that at some time Sunday the two men gained control of his car. The four spent all day Sunday driving around Knoxville, Tennessee. At 1:30 am Monday morning police are called to an I-81 rest stop. The report is an elderly disoriented man. Upon arriving they find Percy Preston on his own and he relates the above story.

Almost exactly one hour after Percy is found a call comes into dispatch at Knox County Tennessee. The call is from Tammy Holt age 21 of Jim Sterchi Road. She claims that there is a woman screaming on her front porch. Tammy lives at this residence with Jennifer Northern age 23. Northen says that she yelled for the lady to go away and that they had called 911.

The lady screams (according to Northern and Holt) "He has a knife!"

At this point the lady opens the metal storm door and Northern fires her 12 guage shotgun through the door killing Jane Doe. Two men fled the scene, with Northern's only description as sandy brown hair. She did describe the 1977 Impala. Deputies would find the Impala two blocks away and connect it with the disoriented man on I-81.

The police through evidence in the car find the driver was John K. McCarter 35. Shirley Sue Furgeson who lived with McCarter on Dry Gap Road (where they were picked up) was also arrested and charged with theft from Percy Preston.

**Now does this mean she (Furgeson) was the woman of the three hitchikers and not our Jane Doe? Or was this an assumption made by police at the time? I can find no paper relating the disposition of charges against Ferguson.

McCarter admitted to taking an unidentified man and the Jane Doe to the Northern home. Although records showed his address as Dry gap Road, he claimed to live in a trailer within sight of the Northern home.

Police release a statement that Northern acted in self defense and no charges would be brought against her.

The second man is later identified as: Jerry Lynn Brown of Newport. Newport, Tennessee which is near the I-81 rest stop and just below Bristol where Percy Preston lived.

Autopsy attached to this reply, click the arrow next to his name in the quote for it to open where it was posted

One thing that bothers me is upon obtaining the autopsy report that there were abrasions on the body. Back of calf, shoulder etc. Hard to see that happening from a single blast to the head. Possible but not likely. I've attached the records here.

C.Brown

Books by C. Brown:
Jack the Ripper (You Don't Know Jack)
Riddled With Bullets (Story of Clarence Bunch Gang)

We are saying she was picked up at a rest stop. I am including an article from the Knoxville News Sentinel of the killing. These were not truckers and she was with them before the rest stop. At least that is what is in the article.
report-jpg.131441

Please look at this Youtube video regarding our Jane Doe. Please share it with friends and family. Especially with family who may live in one of the states the isotope testing suspects she spent time in.

C. Brown

Books by C. Brown
Jack the Ripper (You don't know Jack)
Riddled With Bullets (True Story of Clarence Bunch)

It seems that there is a police report at that house about two months before for burglary. I guess we could make the case that she was jumpy. In 1987, the area she lived in was sparce, her nearest neighbor would have been quite a way off. Today the area is house to house as two subdivisions.

Last missive from the University of Tennessee regarding the medical apparatus on our Jane Doe's leg:

Mr. Brown,
The Regional Forensic Center took possession of the remains earlier this year. We did research the orthopedic appliance when we discovered it back in the ‘80’s, and all it tells is is that it is a four inch plate with 6 screw holes. It is a part number, not a serial number.

Respectfully,
Lee Meadows Jantz, PhD
Associate Director
Forensic Anthropology Center

No, review the thread, one of the members spoke with the manufacturer years ago. They have a time line of when they used that model product and we knew there was no serial number. It's all in the beginning few pages

That is very likely I think. I don't buy that they gave her a shirt. Why do we take their word for anything? Spent a day with her and never got a name? Forgive me but I discount anything those two said. I also don't get where everyone is saying they picked her up at the rest stop. The elderly Percy said he picked up the two men and a woman. I tend to believe Percy since the two were driving his car. If what Percy said was true, we must consider they were with her longer than we thought. Percy was found the next day minus his car at the rest stop. I have the police report where Percy made this statement and that he was found wandering at the rest stop.

Just found a note from a source around at the time. While he is elderly he remembers one of the two men said the Doe mentioned he thought her name had been Mary. Now this is a memory, of an event years ago. It is also possible the man at the time was not telling the truth. It is also possible that she gave a false name. Off to refine searches for a missing woman named Mary.

No murder or conspiracy charges were brought against the two men or the other woman that was involved. She is only involved in that she lived with one of the men and lied for an alibi. The other woman who lived with the men was later charged with other things unrelated. A few years later she was involved with hanging a man and beating him with a two by four. Now, she is not related in any way to our case but was living with one of the men. I offer this here to simply show the kind of people we are talking about. Both men are still alive but not talking. The two women in the house are still alive, one married about two years later and moved across town. the house is no longer there.

There is a press report in the Knoxville News Sentinel that says she yelled, 'he's got a knife." I think I posted the article maybe a year ago.

Under that testimony, Sue Spivey, the other woman should of still been with them. Was she still there?

From what I remember about him posting, they had dropped her off

Was she dropped off before SJD was picked up? Was she interviewed to see if maybe she could give an inside to the men's mindset at the time...like if they were up to no good that day?

Dropped off before they went to the rest stop.

The only person charges stuck to was Spivey. The men were charged with attempted robbery and murder. Murder being in the commission of a crime someone dies the other offenders are charged with murder. Judge Ray Lee Jenkins threw those charges out. Our girl has never had justice. The coroner at the time was Randall Pedigo. Google that name and tell me how much you put into the coroner's report.

Dropped off before they went to the rest stop.

The only person charges stuck to was Spivey. The men were charged with attempted robbery and murder. Murder being in the commission of a crime someone dies the other offenders are charged with murder. Judge Ray Lee Jenkins threw those charges out. Our girl has never had justice. The coroner at the time was Randall Pedigo. Google that name and tell me how much you put into the coroner's report.

On my way out. Want to leave the google results for coroner Randall Pedigo

Medical Examiner Gets a Year in Jail for Drugging and Molesting Men - March 31, 1995

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) _ The county medical examiner was sentenced Friday to a year in jail for drugging and molesting four young men.

Dr. Randall Pedigo, who was blinded in one eye after being shot during a police search of his home in June, led his victims to believe they were receiving a hepatitis B vaccination, then knocked them out with Versed, which is used to calm patients before surgery.

The victims, ages to 15 to 22, all knew Pedigo in his capacity as a doctor. The assaults took place at his condo in June.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back