Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was only one rest stop on that stretch in the 80s. Maybe I havent been clear. They dropped Percy off at around 1:15 or 1:30 in the morning at the rest stop. The call from the porch in Knoxille was at 2:25. It takes 55 minutes to drive from the rest stop to the shooting. Giving an extra ten minutes for times not to be accurate and speeding we have a five to ten minute window for partying, offering clothes changing clothes etc. My theory is that near the house she jumped and tried to flee. We are planning a YouTube video giving details and tours of the scenes. One thing I will produce in the video is another document from the coroner. It shows abrasions consistant with road rash on her shoulder blades and the backs of her legs. To me consistent with a jump from a car.

So I tried to look back at all the reports that were said about when what happened and it left me with more questions then anything.

-Per Percy in the "early morning hours" he left Bristol, VA to head to Knoxville, TN.

-He states he picked up hitchhikers on I-75 rest area...now one thing to take into consideration is that Bristol to Knoxville is I-81, however once you cross from Virginia into Tennessee the first exit you come to is a rest area and it is exit 75, so that may be where the I-75 came from.

-From Exit 75 to Knox county is roughly 113 miles, in that time I would say easily take over 2 hours to drive it. Which would still put them in Knoxville before lunch.

-They say they drive around Knoxville all day then drop off Spivey at her address on Dry Gap Rd in Knoxville.

-One one account they say that they are driving TO Bristol at around Midnight, which would be impossible given the 911 call times.

-They state that they picked up Jane Doe at 1:15am, so they had to of been coming BACK to Knoxville and a little ways outside Knoxville to pick her up. I haven't looked to see what rest areas there were around Knoxville.

-At 2:30am the 911 call was made regarding our JD.

1:30am a 911 call was made regarding a "disoriented man" at a rest area on I-81.

911 call was made 15 minutes after supposedly picking up Jane Doe...it really makes me wonder if Percy was dropped off at the same rest area that Jane Doe was picked up from.

*EDIT* Unless they said they were heading back to Bristol and only made it a short way out of Knoxville...**

Did they ever say what rest area Percy was found at?

I went back over the thread to grab the links to google maps that I did when I 1st started following her case. Maybe you 2 can look at mine and compare it to what we now know? I don't have time to do it today and it would be better coming from you guys since you know the route.

Can anyone access archives of the original article that appeared when she was shot?

===============================================
When I google this Jane Doe, it comes up with a post from WS link, they thought she may be

Martha Leanne Green

=============================================

I was messing around with google maps this morning but have to stop to get ready to leave. If anyone wants to see the area where she was found it is below. I'll finish my thoughts later.

If I have the correct location of the supposed rest stop in Greene County, google directions says it is about 1 hour 27 mins away to Jim Sterchi Road in North Knox County, Tennessee - google maps link

Jim Sterchi Road is down the street from route 75. There appears to be 2 exits off of rt 75 to access Jim Sterchi Road.

If this Jane Doe was coming up from Florida, she'd be traveling rt 75 or 95

Here are a few more links I found-
Bulls Gap TN - google maps

Jim Sterchi Road Knoxville TN

Human Remains Case Number UT87-8F Excluded Individuals Patricia Louise Kelly; June Carpenter Gilkerson?

Individual Case Report - Case Number: UT87-8F

I have nothing to add to this case... however, I have spent the last two days reading this entire thread. I have been fascinated with crimes, investigations and the ever changing forensic and psychological techniques used for as long as I can remember. I had never heard of web sleuthing until I came across this Jane Doe. She has touched me deeply and I just wanted to say how amazing you all have been with trying to get her identified.
Just a few thoughts (my opinions not fact) I agree with C. Walter Brown about her possible circumstance, the fact that she may have been in care and aged out. Now surrounding her death and investigation, things just don't sit right. Is it possible that there had been an attempt at a cover up? Corrupt police? Maybe she was being trafficked, if she was in the care system she would be more vulnerable to this than most. It wouldn't be the first time that LE has been caught up in this. You've even said that you wouldn't put much faith in the coroners report because of the crimes he committed. Here in the UK we've had politicians and local LE that have been involved in grooming and paedophile gangs.
I might well be barking up the wrong tree but I thought I'd throw that theory out there.

I have nothing to add to this case... however, I have spent the last two days reading this entire thread. I have been fascinated with crimes, investigations and the ever changing forensic and psychological techniques used for as long as I can remember. I had never heard of web sleuthing until I came across this Jane Doe. She has touched me deeply and I just wanted to say how amazing you all have been with trying to get her identified.
Just a few thoughts (my opinions not fact) I agree with C. Walter Brown about her possible circumstance, the fact that she may have been in care and aged out. Now surrounding her death and investigation, things just don't sit right. Is it possible that there had been an attempt at a cover up? Corrupt police? Maybe she was being trafficked, if she was in the care system she would be more vulnerable to this than most. It wouldn't be the first time that LE has been caught up in this. You've even said that you wouldn't put much faith in the coroners report because of the crimes he committed. Here in the UK we've had politicians and local LE that have been involved in grooming and paedophile gangs.
I might well be barking up the wrong tree but I thought I'd throw that theory out there.
You may be right nothing is impossible. We have to look at all angles. Why was a 76 year old man driving to Knoxville at that time of the night? I really dont think any of us, police included, have the entire story.

I thought the report said he left out early that morning to go to Knoxville?
You may be right nothing is impossible. We have to look at all angles. Why was a 76 year old man driving to Knoxville at that time of the night? I really dont think any of us, police included, have the entire story.

I live about 10 mins from where this happened. I believe that maybe she was from the Bristol area where she was picked up. No one has noticed her for these facts: unidentifiable face. Lack of media attention. Yes they published a article in the knoxville news paper but no one would recognize her from knox. Now we have internet and more resources but over time the family members may have passed away. Just my opinion

I live about 10 mins from where this happened. I believe that maybe she was from the Bristol area where she was picked up. No one has noticed her for these facts: unidentifiable face. Lack of media attention. Yes they published a article in the knoxville news paper but no one would recognize her from knox. Now we have internet and more resources but over time the family members may have passed away. Just my opinion
I agree this has not gotten the exposure it deserves. We are working on a video for YouTube. I want feedback from you all when it is done. After all edits I want to submit it to various TV markets with the help of a friend. Hopefully several local stations will pick it up as a filler piece. Also I have folks trying to compile hospitals in the Isotope area that was then and still are in business. We have to expand our quest to other areas, maybe get a lead.

I was wondering this myself about the old man. But then again if he had alzheimer's or dementia, that may have been undiagnosed at the time, he might not have known himself why he was out at that time. I have a few family members with alzheimer's and they get up and leave for the most bizarre reasons that seem completely normal to them.
My theory about the cover up is because there just seemed to be no real effort at the time to investigate this. I'm not implicating the girl that shot her, I believe that was a genuine mistake done out of fear. However why would the police need to trick the men into coming in and making a statement? They should have been arrested and held until they started talking, if the police believed this death occurred whilst they were trying to rob the place, they would have had charges thrown at them. My theory is that the two men were low level in whatever was happening and LE tried to cover it up to protect someone more important, for example a local politician, high ranking LE etc.
Maybe I've read too many books, watched too many films but this girl died in bizarre circumstances and LE charged no one with a crime and only a half hearted attempt was made to identify her. The coroners report said her face was recognisable and was not "blown off".

I was wondering this myself about the old man. But then again if he had alzheimer's or dementia, that may have been undiagnosed at the time, he might not have known himself why he was out at that time. I have a few family members with alzheimer's and they get up and leave for the most bizarre reasons that seem completely normal to them.

We may never know

My theory about the cover up is because there just seemed to be no real effort at the time to investigate this. I'm not implicating the girl that shot her, I believe that was a genuine mistake done out of fear.

I do wonder why she wasn't charged with anything... There is a 911 recording that LE have said they will never release... Why is that? I think she was connected to someone too..

However why would the police need to trick the men into coming in and making a statement? They should have been arrested and held until they started talking, if the police believed this death occurred whilst they were trying to rob the place, they would have had charges thrown at them. My theory is that the two men were low level in whatever was happening and LE tried to cover it up to protect someone more important, for example a local politician, high ranking LE etc.

We've thought this since I started following the case. We've thought someone was being protected.

We did look into everyone involved many years ago when we sent all the matches in. Obviously we couldn't do that here..

Maybe I've read too many books, watched too many films but this girl died in bizarre circumstances and LE charged no one with a crime and only a half hearted attempt was made to identify her. The coroners report said her face was recognisable and was not "blown off".

Yeah, they could have done a decent recon. The top front of her head was blown off. Her one eye was hanging out

I have to run to a doctor appointment.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a copy of the police report from the robbery from months before? Was there any detail in it as to what was taken, if anyone was home, if there were any leads etc. Just thinking aloud here but wonder if there may be some type of clue as to what was going on, if there is something larger going on here.

I agree this has not gotten the exposure it deserves. We are working on a video for YouTube. I want feedback from you all when it is done. After all edits I want to submit it to various TV markets with the help of a friend. Hopefully several local stations will pick it up as a filler piece. Also I have folks trying to compile hospitals in the Isotope area that was then and still are in business. .

If she was from the Bristol area, our two hospital systems just merged and it is a HUGE mess so locating any information may be hard here.

This poor girl needs a voice! and a name. She was a victim but she wasn't treated as such, the poor thing sounded like she was terrified not like someone out to rob a house. I wish I had the know how on these matters to help identify her. No one should ever be thrown into a grave nameless and forgotten. Thank God for people like you.

I've seen that there's a question about why the two men, Jerry Lynn Brown and John McCarter, were not charged with anything. It appears that they were indicted on multiple counts of felony murder, but the counts were dismissed because, under the controlling law, Jane Doe was considered a co-felon, and thus the men could not be charged with her death.

I've attached the case from the Court of Criminal Appeals. I know it's not much but I found it interesting.

Attachments

• state v. brown.pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 16
I've seen that there's a question about why the two men, Jerry Lynn Brown and John McCarter, were not charged with anything. It appears that they were indicted on multiple counts of felony murder, but the counts were dismissed because, under the controlling law, Jane Doe was considered a co-felon, and thus the men could not be charged with her death.

I've attached the case from the Court of Criminal Appeals. I know it's not much but I found it interesting.

Thanks. I downloaded it, now to find time to read it.

Things are so much different now that we can get records with FOIA. Back when I started following her case, you couldn't get access to anything.

LE wanted her FB page removed....

So they stuck to the story that they were going to rob the house...were any weapons found? I mean obviously if one of the guys had a knife like Jane Doe claimed I am sure he would of disposed of it before LE got to the scene. When Jane Doe was shot did the men flee the scene and were later found? I know they searched the vehicle after the fact, but were ANY weapons found? I mean if I was a LE and couple guys told me they were going to rob a house (especially knowing someone was home)

...and had no weapons...story would definitely raise red flags to me.

See this is why this smells like a LE cover-up! Why else would LE want her FB taken down? My opinion is that she was a victim, LE knew exactly who she was and why she was there. If she's identified that may mean a more thorough investigation and they have already shown they don't want that.
I really wish I had the know how on these things to help get this poor girl her identity back and get her back to her family. Who knows what horrors she experienced in her last few days and weeks.

Has anyone ever suggested Margie Ranshaw? Her height and age are within the right range.
margie_ann_ranshaw_1.jpg
margie_ann_ranshaw_2.jpg
607UFTN.jpg

She is missing from Michigan since May 17, 1987 and little is known about her case other than she went to the store for milk and her car was later found abandoned at a hotel in Howell, MI. While I know Michigan is far from TN, if these 2 men traveled around hijacking cars then they could have carjacked Margie, taken her to the hotel in Howell and then forced her to return to Tennessee with them by stealing another car. Map: خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Theoretically, she could have been held at their house until June 1st when she escaped and was shot. (Also on the theory that the jersey could have been hers, being from Michigan she might have been familiar with the Miami Dolphins player who wore #32 in 1987- he went to college in Illinois (Pete Roth).

Margie Ann Ranshaw – The Charley Project

MI - MI - Margie Ranshaw, 29, Barryton, 17 May 1987

(if anyone thinks she is possible please submit, I'm only suggesting here. Thanks)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake
Back