Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
....And the State the offense happened in, and the presiding judge, and the wishes of the family and past criminal history, age of the offender. Yes, lots of things factor into how these cases are determined. The wishes of the victim are also noted. That's why I keep saying if he returns he safely and quickly, he'll most likely face very minor charges. It's in his, and her, best interest to return her asap. But every day he keeps her from the safety of her family, friends and the ability to pursue her education, he's making this more difficult. And make no mistake, he will be caught. He's 50, probably not in the best of health, and things could go bad quickly. If he truly loves her, he'll let her grow up like every other normal teen because nothing that he's done so far says "love" to me. She looked dreadful in that picture, certainly not well groomed and happily grasping his arm.
The Attorney General (Brent Cooper IIRC) has stated he intends to charge him with aggravated kidnapping. I recognize charging and convicting are 2 different things, but I doubt this will be a slap on the wrist.

Crap, there's a passport office in Decatur. If they apply in person with a notarized statement from her parent, she can get a passport issued in 5 days. Any chance she and TC travelled to Decatur on March 8th? That would explain going to Decatur, AL before heading west. http://www.dksuperiorclerk.com/Passports

Questions:
1. Why meet at Shoneys? Why didn't he pick her up at her house? If he were "bold" as some have suggested, he would have picked her up at her house being seen by the security cameras, flipping them off...
2. How did his wife know he was leaving? What did he tell her that made her contact LE? And why did LE not contact ET's family as soon as his wife contacted them? If she didn't know he was taking ET, why did she contact LE? If she knew he was leaving with ET, it would make sense that she would contact LE then LE would contact ET's family but that didn't seem to happen. My guess is she didn't know or didn't tell LE about ET. But then what was her reasoning for contacting LE?
3. This supposed friend that was to "hide them": who is it? This person could be the key to finding them.
4. Does TC have a young daughter or granddaughter? One that has identification that can be used by ET. This is the only way I can see them leaving the country and/or hopping on a plane.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Questions:
1. Why meet at Shoneys? Why didn't he pick her up at her house? If he were "bold" as some have suggested, he would have picked her up at her house being seen by the security cameras, flipping them off...
2. How did his wife know he was leaving? What did he tell her that made her contact LE? And why did LE not contact ET's family as soon as his wife contacted them? If she didn't know he was taking ET, why did she contact LE? If she knew he was leaving with ET, it would make sense that she would contact LE then LE would contact ET's family but that didn't seem to happen. My guess is she didn't know or didn't tell LE about ET. But then what was her reasoning for contacting LE?
3. This supposed friend that was to "hide them": who is it? This person could be the key to finding them.
4. Does TC have a young daughter or granddaughter? One that has identification that can be used by ET. This is the only way I can see them leaving the country and/or hopping on a plane.

Hadn't thought of that, why not have her dropped at the gas station? Or at her house? And like you, I'd love to know why JC reported him missing. I think the sister said they were both initially reported missing, TC by his wife and ET by her family. ET's father stated at the time he thought TC had taken her, but no one believed him. I'm assuming they put two and two together when they were both reported missing and after viewing the footage at the gas station, they realized he was right. But still doesn't answer what happened that JC, who didn't know ET was missing, reported her husband missing. I'd love to know what time she reported him missing. Any way we can back and listen to the scanner on that day for that area?

I would have guessed that they would have discarded her plaid, flannel shirt and leggings since these are mentioned in the endangered child alert. The fact that she is still wearing them says Tad isn't too bright.

I was surprised to see that too. But the fact they are going to Walmart knowing full well they have surveillance is also an interesting move. Most towns would have a small grocery store without video surveillance if you're willing to get off the interstate a bit. Interstate travel also seems a bit silly to me. Unless they have a specific destination and arrival date, there's really no reason to travel the interstate for anything other than improved fuel economy and speediness. They are risking more witnesses who could potentially be aware of this case, take notice of out of state plates, and the vehicle model (which doesn't seem to be all that common).

Right, the small of the back is a common carry spot. The middle of the back would be a spot that would be almost impossible to draw from. And I have NEVER seen that.

SABBM-It's also a bit dangerous to carry anywhere that the weapon would be against your spine due to risk of injury in an accidental fall, not to mention terribly uncomfortable.

I just don't understand how LE says it's well planned, can find searches TC did on teen marriage, how to drive his Rogue undetected, mattress to fit the rogue but absolutely no searches on the places they are going? How can that be? I find that interesting. Was he toying with LE knowing darn well they would scour his PC for info including the hard drive? Her computers too.

Paper atlas? A prepper would likely buy one for a SHTF scenario. Someone who had a planned route but didn't want LE to know where they were heading might use one too. I'm not a prepper, but I keep one in my vehicle, because I enjoy scenic routes and Google isn't great for those.

I think that sometimes, when I offer insight here as an experienced wilderness camper/hiker, other posters might blow me off simply because it's something they themselves don't really have a broad understanding about. I don't have a fragile ego at all, so that doesn't bother me, but I do wish posters would listen to my experience in this area because it could be helpful to Elizabeth.

Having said all that, here are few observations I've made in the past , and a few more that I would add after reading the latest updates.

3. I actually saw a Nissan Rogue the other day, and tried to evaluate it as a practical vehicle for camping long term. To me, it's size is would be a big problem. Even with the back seat put down, it would be a tight fit for 2 people to sleep in. Add to that all of the supplies you would need to haul with you, and I don't think I could do it. I certainly wouldn't attempt it without bringing along a fly (which is a tarp sort of thing that extends your " living space " from the back of the vehicle). If he doesn't have this kind of setup, and is trying to just flat out live out of the Rogue, yeah...no.

Snipped again- I agree with your entire post, but wanted to give MOO on your #3. I just took my 3 daughters (all under 4'10" and 60-70 lbs each for reference) for a road trip and car camping adventure this week. Weather was questionable, so we opted for Smoky Mountains and Mammoth Cave campgrounds and took the tent for good weather days and planned to sleep in my much larger Expedition on bad weather days. It was rainy at Mammoth and late when we arrived so the girls slept in the back with just bedding and there was just enough room for the 3 of them basically touching and I had to leave the cooler and camp box outside and pile the rest of our clothes and snacks in the driver's seat so I could sleep in the passenger seat. No one slept well at all due to the cramped conditions. I can't imagine doing it in an even smaller vehicle in anything but a major emergency. We camped out the rest of the time in the Smoky Mountains in a tent, even through storms and rain just to avoid car sleeping hell another night. I doubt TC is carrying a bunch of ultralight equipment for packing in to camp and I bet neither one of them has slept well since the day they left if they haven't rented a hotel room.

Questions:

I have wondered along these lines too. ET also has, I think, 5 older siblings. Any chance any of them had a passport or ID she is using?

I don't throw fake IDs out as the most likely scenario, but obtaining other IDs is for sure an option I would consider if I was trying to flee. I doubt I would buy them off the black market or dark net or anything, but if my life depended on escaping, would I ask to borrow the ID of a friend who looked similar to me (or just lift it without asking)? Clearly, I can't put myself in the mind of someone who has done a series of illegal things. But if the situations was dire enough, I would.

Also, some say he wouldn't take the risk of using false IDs to cross into Mexico. But to that I say, the guy isn't operating in the realm of reason. He just tossed his whole life and family away in an act of extreme risk. He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have wondered along these lines too. ET also has, I think, 5 older siblings. Any chance any of them had a passport or ID she is using?

I don't throw fake IDs out as the most likely scenario, but obtaining other IDs is for sure an option I would consider if I was trying to flee. I doubt I would buy them off the black market or dark net or anything, but if my life depended on escaping, would I ask to borrow the ID of a friend who looked similar to me (or just lift it without asking)? Clearly, I can't put myself in the mind of someone who has done a series of illegal things. But if the situations was dire enough, I would.

Also, some say he wouldn't take the risk of using false IDs to cross into Mexico. But to that I say, the guy isn't operating in the team of reason. He just tossed his whole life and family away in an act of extreme risk. He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I keep feeling like we're all such goody goodies "but he can't marry her, that's not legal" "he can't cross the border, that's not legal". Well he's kidnapped a child, that's not legal either. Even I'll think of something and then think "but that's not legal" and then I remember he's not doing the right or legal thing and he's apparently willing to gamble he won't be caught. Have to smack myself once in a while with that.

Going along with the camping theme. I am by FAR not a hiker or camper... roughing it to me is no remote for the tv. HOWEVER, my hubby, my 4 yr old and myself did a cross country in a conversion van (small fridge, bed pull out,) from FL to Cali, into Mexico and back to FL by going to campgrounds etc the whole way. You could schedule ahead of time or just get ones that you pay at the spot... 20 buck a night for electric, use the showers etc.. and it was MUCH easier than i thought it would be. We could plug in and 'camp' but never see a soul. Its not as hard as many would think.. surprisingly enough. We'd go days without seeing or running into anyone else. Its all a matter of timing and where you park... close to others or in the 'private' spots. I never knew these places existed at the time. I can see them doing that, and easily. We had a toddler and it was still manageable... with no issues. Going into and out of Mexico again we needed no documentation except DL coming back to US.

I think that sometimes, when I offer insight here as an experienced wilderness camper/hiker, other posters might blow me off simply because it's something they themselves don't really have a broad understanding about. I don't have a fragile ego at all, so that doesn't bother me, but I do wish posters would listen to my experience in this area because it could be helpful to Elizabeth.

Having said all that, here are few observations I've made in the past , and a few more that I would add after reading the latest updates.

1. TC reads survivalist and off grid wilderness sites. To the best of my knowledge, he has very little actual experience in this. THAT is what is forcing him into public places, assuming they are actually trying to rough it in the wilderness. It's clear that he's " planned " this by researching things on the internet. But he hasn't planned it well, because clearly, he lacks practical experience. If he truly had experience, he wouldn't be in town shopping for food. Experienced campers/hikers pack freeze dried meals...they weight next to nothing, take up very little space, and require no refrigeration. I could feed us in a dispersed camping situation for months this way taking up the space of a small cardboard box.

2. I doubt very much that they are staying in super remote wilderness settings. To get to most of these within National Parks, you must hike in. I get a very strong sense that he is not comfortable being without the vehicle. That said, there are many service roads that are rarely trafficked, and it would not be difficult to pull a vehicle off of one of these roads into a wooded area, camouflage the car with camo netting, and not be seen. They could easily be camping on private property if they do have the camo netting (which I'd almost bet my famr they do).

3. I actually saw a Nissan Rogue the other day, and tried to evaluate it as a practical vehicle for camping long term. To me, it's size is would be a big problem. Even with the back seat put down, it would be a tight fit for 2 people to sleep in. Add to that all of the supplies you would need to haul with you, and I don't think I could do it. I certainly wouldn't attempt it without bringing along a fly (which is a tarp sort of thing that extends your " living space " from the back of the vehicle). If he doesn't have this kind of setup, and is trying to just flat out live out of the Rogue, yeah...no.

4. Water. That is an essential. If they are wilderness camping long term they would need to camp near a water source. This sounds obvious and simple, doesn't it? It actually isn't. Drinking from wilderness water sources can kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Ideally, water needs to be brought to a boil safe. This requires a fire. If he isn't hauling wood (along with all these other supplies in the cramped back of the Nissan), then he has to use wood that's available to him. Does he know what to burn and what not to burn (because even that requires a degree of knowledge). And, is he concerned that a fire might give them away? I read somewhere that he researched a water filter. I hope like hell he is not under the impression that these filters are a foolproof way to safely treat water, because believe me, they aren't. Even when they are used correctly and operating properly, there are many different types of organisms they don't keep out. Chemicals to treat water? They exist, of course, but they are certainly not ideal. What do you want to bet that one of the " ordinary food items " he purchased at the OKC walmart was a case of bottled water? :wink:

5. I mentioned yesterday that when I saw the OKC walmart pics that both TC and ET had every appearance of having been "camping". When I said camping, I didn't necessarily mean camping in the traditional sense, but rather "roughing it". I have absolutely know way of knowing what their "set up" is, but I know the look of roughing it when I see it. It's something that is difficult to explain to people who don't camp/hike, but every hiker knows it when they see it. It's just a mindset that shows up in your appearance and your obliviousness to your appearance. The instant I saw these 2, I was pretty damned sure they had not been staying at a motel. I see no reason to think that that has changed since the walmart video. I think that, given their lack of experience, they may be forced to risk a motel for a night here or there, but everything I've read and seen so far tells me they are trying to go off grid.

6. You do not carry a gun in the middle of your back. Reach back there and pretend you are trying to draw a gun. Can YOU do it? Even if that were possible, it's called conceal carry for a reason. Do you think people might be able to see a gun if it were stashed in the middle of your back just under your shoulder blades?

7. TC researched whether a mattress would fit in the back of the Nissan. From what I saw yesterday looking at a Nissan, I would guess no. But even if he does, it won't be a regular mattress. He would need an air mattress. He's already got way too much crap in that tiny storage space. :wink:

(I was going to type more, but I hate reading long posts myself, and now I'm tired of typing, so I'm cutting myself off.)

I've been around WS long enough to listen to you and know you know what you're talking about. So... there's that. :)

Snipped again- I agree with your entire post, but wanted to give MOO on your #3. I just took my 3 daughters (all under 4'10" and 60-70 lbs each for reference) for a road trip and car camping adventure this week. Weather was questionable, so we opted for Smoky Mountains and Mammoth Cave campgrounds and took the tent for good weather days and planned to sleep in my much larger Expedition on bad weather days. It was rainy at Mammoth and late when we arrived so the girls slept in the back with just bedding and there was just enough room for the 3 of them basically touching and I had to leave the cooler and camp box outside and pile the rest of our clothes and snacks in the driver's seat so I could sleep in the passenger seat. No one slept well at all due to the cramped conditions. I can't imagine doing it in an even smaller vehicle in anything but a major emergency. We camped out the rest of the time in the Smoky Mountains in a tent, even through storms and rain just to avoid car sleeping hell another night. I doubt TC is carrying a bunch of ultralight equipment for packing in to camp and I bet neither one of them has slept well since the day they left if they haven't rented a hotel room.

FWIW, I have 2015 Rogue. It is really not that big, and certainly would be a tight, uncomfortable fit for one person to sleep in. Two would not be easy at all...especially with even a small amount of gear.

Crap, there's a passport office in Decatur. If they apply in person with a notarized statement from her parent, she can get a passport issued in 5 days. Any chance she and TC travelled to Decatur on March 8th? That would explain going to Decatur, AL before heading west. http://www.dksuperiorclerk.com/Passports
Generally speaking, both parents must sign in order to obtain a passport and must present documentary evidence that they are the legal custodians of a child. I would be shocked if they haven't placed a passport alert on her name. It's kinda standard in kidnapping situations and even in intense child custody disputes.

I have seen some MSM calling the 15-year old victim Elizabeth Thompson and the 50-year old alleged child kidnapper Tad Commins. So, if I were calling attention that the alleged victim may be called "Ms. Mary Catherine Cummins" now, would that be far fetched?

I keep wondering what happens if the papers can't be served because one party is itinerant.
I addressed this upthread. An absent spouse can be served via publication in the newspaper and a default judgment taken.

Just an FYI, JC filed divorce on the basis of irreconcilable differences stating he was guilty of inappropriate marital conduct.
http://wreg.com/2017/03/31/wife-of-amber-alert-suspect-files-for-divorce/
These are the standard, "go to" grounds for divorce in Tennessee. Tennessee is not a true "no fault" divorce state. The only way you can get a divorce on irreconcilable differences is if the parties both sign settlement documents. Otherwise, the plaintiff spouse will have to prove marital fault, which most frequently is inappropriate marital conduct (also referred to as cruel and inhuman treatment under our state statutes). It's not a very high threshold to meet, but it does require some proof that something inappropriate has been done that a witness can testify to. Clearly that won't be an issue for JC.

I addressed this upthread. An absent spouse can be served via publication in the newspaper and a default judgment taken.
Thanks Lori_belle, a very fast moving thread, and your daytime is my night time. Much appreciated.

Generally speaking, both parents must sign in order to obtain a passport and must present documentary evidence that they are the legal custodians of a child. I would be shocked if they haven't placed a passport alert on her name. It's kinda standard in kidnapping situations and even in intense child custody disputes.

I'm thinking along a different line. The Decatur office can have a passport ready in 5 days. So, if they travelled to Decatur on March 7th or 8th to bring the necessary documentation and then picked up the passport on their way out of the area on March 13th. The AA went out on the 14th, and although she was reported missing on the 13th, they could have reached Decatur before she was reported missing. All they needed is a notarized document with her father's signature. "If no parent is available to sign, the third-party in loco parentis must:
Appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s), authorizing the third-party to apply for passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent." http://morgan.alacourt.gov/Pages/PassportsUnderAge.aspx Which is why I'm curious if the two had time to travel to Decatur together to get a passport before the March 13th abduction.

42b60b6f688de6fe147f15ff4e85ecbf.jpg

There are tents you can buy that attach to smaller SUVs or crossovers like the Rogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member