GUILTY TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[QUOTE="Rodnester

His defense attorneys had asked for 10 years, saying he would have faced considerably less time in jail for the crime if he and the girl hadn’t crossed state lines.

[/QUOTE]

SBM. Well maybe he should have thought about that before he crossed state lines with a minor.

[QUOTE="Rodnester

His defense attorneys had asked for 10 years, saying he would have faced considerably less time in jail for the crime if he and the girl hadn’t crossed state lines.

SBM. Well maybe he should have thought about that before he crossed state lines with a minor.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. But he wants to pretend like it didn't happen? smh
He crossed state lines to avoid apprehension (including rescue of MCET) and to flee justice. He should be punished for it IMO!

Commentary: District attorney relishes his job, will run for re-election in 2022

Copied and pasted only the parts of the article that refer to this case:

District Attorney Brent Cooper told The Daily Herald last week that he will bring convicted felon Tad Cummins back to Maury County to faces state charges in the Elizabeth Thomas kidnapping case. He also said he plans to run for re-election in 2022.

Not everyone would agree with my assessment of Cooper, nor will critics agree with his decision to pursue state charges against Cummins. The former Culleoka Unit School teacher pleaded guilty to federal charges in January and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Cooper’s office would save time and money by letting the federal convictions stand on their own. But Cooper decided to charge Cummins in Columbia, where he used to live, after talking in-depth with Thomas. Cooper promised the DA’s office would listen to victims more closely, if elected.

“After speaking with the victim, Miss Thomas, I told her I would continue the case,” Cooper said. “I told people when I was campaigning that my office would be more friendly and available to victims, and more sensitive to victims. That has always been a goal of mine.

“As soon as I found out that his federal case was over, I reached out to Miss Thomas, and we have decided to go forward. Cummins faces one state charge that he has not been served with — the kidnapping charge when they were missing. Based on things we are learning from her, there may be other state charges.”

No date has been scheduled in court. At some point, Cummins will have to return to Columbia and the Maury County Courthouse.

“It’s no small task to get a federal inmate into a local county jail,” Cooper said. “You have to jump through a lot of hoops. A lot will depend where he’s housed in the federal system. But we are going to start the process soon. We are going to get him here. Hopefully, we will achieve a fair outcome in state court.”

As a witness, Thomas will credible and strong if she needs to testify, Cooper said.

“She will be fine,” Cooper said. “She is dramatically a different person than when all of this happened. The difference in her now, as opposed to then, just lends credence to our theory that she was manipulated back then.”

The Cummins kidnapping ordeal in March 2017 tested the DA’s office to maximum. Cooper knew Cummins well. Both went to school in Mt. Pleasant. Cooper was stunned when Cummins melted down during an apparent middle-age crisis and ran across the country with his then-15-year-old student.

“He came from a wonderful family,” Cooper said. “This behavior surprised me as much as anybody.”

To capture Cummins, police and prosecutors wanted to keep the story alive and on the front page, putting Cooper in front of TV cameras on a regular basis. Cummins and the teenager were found in northern California a month later.

“I don’t like being on TV or doing TV interviews, but we intentionally did it to have people looking for him,” Cooper said.

SBM, BBM

Commentary: District attorney relishes his job, will run for re-election in 2022

The Cummins kidnapping ordeal in March 2017 tested the DA’s office to maximum. Cooper knew Cummins well. Both went to school in Mt. Pleasant. Cooper was stunned when Cummins melted down during an apparent middle-age crisis and ran across the country with his then-15-year-old student.

Oh, please. I would like to know if it's the DA or the newspaper editor who thinks that "...Cummins melted down during an apparent middle-age crisis and ran across the country with his then-15-year-old student". Either way, I find the words sickening. Cummins is a predator who selected and groomed a student for his own sick desires. Someone having a so-called "middle-age crisis" might buy a sports car, not groom, kidnap and molest a child. Apparently, some of the people in this town still need a wake-up call. Poor MCET.

Bumping up - to see if any State charges have been filed or anything else on his appeal on Federal charges?

TIA! :)

Bumping up - to see if any State charges have been filed or anything else on his appeal on Federal charges?

TIA! :)

Nothing since January....

Tad Cummins, who was sentenced in federal court to 20 years in prison, filed an appeal to his sentence.

The case will now head to the Sixth Circuit Court in Cincinnati.

Tad Cummins appeals 20-year sentence

Whoa.... Settlement and she gets $650,000

Teen kidnapped by teacher settles suit with school for $650K

The girl and her father sued the Maury County School district in 2018, accusing teachers and the school's principal of ignoring several red flags regarding Cummins.

The woman, now 18, was awarded $650,000 in a settlement agreement last month, news outlets reported Tuesday. It was mediated by an attorney in Nashville.

The victim's family said Cummins groomed her for months, kissing her and making inappropriate comments toward her in the classroom. The teen reported the kissing incident to school administrators who started an investigation but did not contact her parents or remove her from Cummins' class, the lawsuit said.

The settlement agreement said the compromise “does not constitute an admission of liability on the part” of the school district.

more at link

Always the victim with excuses, that guy. If he wanted to be home so badly, he shouldn't have groomed, kidnapped and molested a minor. Stay in your cell, if you dont want covid. I cant feel sorry for you or your at risk issues.

I'm sure the Judge knows that ESL is English as a Second Language as that acronym is widely used in the US. Insulting.

And while I'm picking apart his letter,
he used the archaic Middle English spelling of attorney (attourney) and that dialect went out in 1470AD. Some teacher he is.

He makes me wanna hurl. SO glad his victim is feeling strong and asserting herself! God bless her!

I hope he's miserable and terrified.

The article states that he requested to be released to his daughter.

He is divorced and his ex-wife has remarried.

WHAT!?!? Remarried?!? Wow.

Anyway...

Victim: 'For my safety, and for other children’s safety' Tad Cummins should stay locked up

"Just knowing he resides there would make me fear being in Columbia even more than I already do," she wrote. "Even if he is made to stay on house arrest, just knowing he will be near me terrifies me. I have worked very hard over the last three years to move past the very dark time of my life involving Tad Cummins. If I have to live in constant fear again, I feel like all of that would be for nothing. The court ordered that he go to prison, and that is where he belongs."

The judge will ultimately decide whether Cummins' motion is granted.

A hearing date on the matter has not yet been set in federal court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back