TN - Mother drowns 7-year old daughter - Jul. 15, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree that sobbing heavily in court is "wretched" behavior, regardless of the reason. It's actually pretty appropriate. (ETA: Nevermind, I guess it technically meets the definitions of wretched, one of which is "characterized by...misery and sorrow.")

I wonder why neither side thinks she needs a psychological evaluation yet.

This is possibly a death penalty case? A woman known for a fact to have battled serious depression -- maybe still is, caregiver to a disabled husband, and working at McDonalds?

It's not that she shouldn't face possibly LWOP, but they don't even go for the DP in much more horrific cases sometimes, so I am pretty surprised. All IMO.

I disagree that sobbing heavily in court is "wretched" behavior, regardless of the reason. It's actually pretty appropriate. (ETA: Nevermind, I guess it technically meets the definitions of wretched, one of which is "characterized by...misery and sorrow.")

This is possibly a death penalty case? A woman known for a fact to have battled serious depression -- maybe still is, caregiver to a disabled husband, and working at McDonalds?

It's not that she shouldn't face possibly LWOP, but they don't even go for the DP in much more horrific cases sometimes, so I am pretty surprised. All IMO.

Totally agree, @ChatteringBirds.

Reactions: nao
Article says it's a head injury and jail staff will only confirm it wasn't violence (fight/attack) that caused the injury.
I did a Google image search of Sumner County Jail in TN. This is a pic of what the cell blocks look like. I wonder if she sat or stood on that upper rail, and jumped or intentionally fell backwards on her head to the concrete floor. That's the only thing I can think of, as to how you'd get a "horrific head injury" in jail (that didn't involve violence). Falling from height.
I think she had a history of mental health issues.
1724297278910.png

I was confused, too, why her defense thought there was no need for a psych evaluation.

Article says it's a head injury and jail staff will only confirm it wasn't violence (fight/attack) that caused the injury.
I did a Google image search of Sumner County Jail in TN. This is a pic of what the cell blocks look like. I wonder if she sat or stood on that upper rail, and jumped or intentionally fell backwards on her head to the concrete floor. That's the only thing I can think of, as to how you'd get a "horrific head injury" in jail (that didn't involve violence). Falling from height.
I think she had a history of mental health issues.
View attachment 526073
It sounds like something along those lines, since it was not the result of an attack by an inmate.

I was confused, too, why her defense thought there was no need for a psych evaluation.

You can't really order a psych evaluation just because of someone's history or the crime they committed on its own. A psych eval in cases like this are only to determine if the individual has the capacity to understand what's happening and to be part of the judicial process. Is there reason to believe she doesn't?

Now if the head injury is the result of self-injury then she needs a mental health eval to determine what mental health services she needs while in prison. But it will have little to do with the trial. Most people in prison receive mental health services, such as it is.

She needs long-term mental health treatment. She should have been fully evaluated. It's really hard to understand how this happened, because she should have been on suicide watch, all IMO.
I'm surprised that not only the State didn't want a mental health evaluation but that the defense attorney also did not??

. A psych eval in cases like this are only to determine if the individual has the capacity to understand what's happening and to be part of the judicial process. Is there reason to believe she doesn't?

From the linked article:
The mother reportedly said she only realized what she had done after it was too late.

I feel this is enough if a reason for a psych evaluation, but maybe the system disagrees.

Reactions: nao

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cassie1678
Back