Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The autopsy report states that he showed no signs of embalming but that he tested mildly positive for isopropanol. Does this suggest that he was consuming isopropanol as well as ethanol that night? I'm genuinely asking out of curiosity.

The autopsy report states that he showed no signs of embalming but that he tested mildly positive for isopropanol. Does this suggest that he was consuming isopropanol as well as ethanol that night? I'm genuinely asking out of curiosity.
While it might be just chemical breakdown, it does raise the question of maybe he did?

I mean, i think it would have to have been accidental. But, it's not completely impossible this somehow occurred. But, just moo...

And if he did, what would this do to him?

[Isopropanol is an important chemical to forensic pathologists in that intoxication can result in death yet presence does not necessarily indicate intoxication. Several reports have been published, which indicate that isopropanol can be created endogenously in certain situations including diabetes mellitus, starvation, dehydration, and chronic ethanol use;
Analysis revealed isopropanol concentrations to be low (<100 mg/dL) in cases of antemortem and postmortem creation and in postmortem contamination and high (>100 mg/dL) in cases of antemortem exposure.]

From this study, low amounts are not likely from ingestion before death, but from contamination or side effect creation from bodily processes before or after death, IMO.

MEDICAL EXAMINER'S REPORT (Toxicology begins on page 6 of 10):

Linked in this article:

Indelicate but report says there was "a small amount of urine" in his bladder. Given his level of intoxication, his kidneys were getting a workout that night. "A small amount of urine" gives credence to the theory that he stepped off the path to relieve himself. Could be as simple and tragic as losing his footing, being top heavy over any bench, rail, elevation. Loosened or lowered pants, easier to kick free of. The water proving ultimately unforgiving. Tall, thin guy -- if he survived entry, the water probably pulled his open jeans down, instant liability. Probably kicked himself free of them immediately before water swiftly overtook him.

Seems most everybody who drinks too much has a story of cheating fate.

In this case, fate cheated Riley.

JMO

Indelicate but report says there was "a small amount of urine" in his bladder. Given his level of intoxication, his kidneys were getting a workout that night. "A small amount of urine" gives credence to the theory that he stepped off the path to relieve himself. Could be as simple and tragic as losing his footing, being top heavy over any bench, rail, elevation. Loosened or lowered pants, easier to kick free of. The water proving ultimately unforgiving. Tall, thin guy -- if he survived entry, the water probably pulled his open jeans down, instant liability. Probably kicked himself free of them immediately before water swiftly overtook him.

Seems most everybody who drinks too much has a story of cheating fate.

In this case, fate cheated Riley.

JMO

This is what I think is most plausible. JMO.

That is a weird drug for someone his age. Imo

It's a controlled substance now due to this one of its side effects. Some people take it just for the side effect. Therefore, it's abused. People who actually need it probably don't enjoy this side effect because they do not feel well enough to be amorous. (I know someone who worked in pharmacy for many years, they are the one who told me about this.)

ETA: this probably would not affect cats, i imagine they must be taking a very low dose because they're so small.

ETA2: i remember someone tweeted about the THC... And it is there, it's Delta something, idk whatever product like this that is legal in Tennessee (Missouri may be the same).

yeah I saw the THC too

JUN 19, 2024
[...]

Luke’s 32 Bridge wrote in a statement shared to its Facebook page in March that Strain, according to their records, was served one alcoholic drink and two waters.

A spokesperson for the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday that the commission is still investigating whether Strain was over-served alcohol on the night of his disappearance.

[...]

However, former Cole County prosecutor Bill Tackett says that in order to prove Luke Bryan’s bar, Luke's 32 Bridge, was liable for Strain’s death, officials would need more than just his BAC because everyone’s alcohol tolerance is different.

“The issue is, is there clear and convincing evidence that the bar should have known or did know that they were serving a visibly intoxicated person?” Tackett said. “That's defined by statute as somebody that is in a physical, uncoordinated state dysfunction, mental state, where it's obvious. The blood alcohol content is not enough. It's part of the equation, but it's not enough to make that determination."

[...]

I have now read the autopsy report.

He was wearing his underwear and socks (along with his shirt). I need to know how his boots, belt, and pants are gone? If the river took his boots, belt, and pants then it would have taken the underwear and socks imo.

Imo, he or someone else removed the boots, belt, and pants before he entered the river. If he did it, then ... Idk. If someone else did it, I think it was a robbery imo. I know he still had his watch, but maybe he got away from them or something?

In any case, WHERE are these items (including whatever he had in his pockets)? Granted, they might have been thrown into the river by Riley or another person. But, i can understand how this may leave his parents with some questions.

Moo
About 20 years ago, a man I knew and his friend were on a snowmobile in central Ontario in the winter. They were on their way to a buddy's house across the lake. Before they left, his wife asked him to go around the lake since the ice was unstable. Even though it was February there was no guarantee the ice was stable. Instead of going around the lake they drove across it and went through the ice.

The next day, LE wearing wet suits located the hole the snowmobile made and found their bodies under the ice. Both of them had removed their boots, their snowmobile suits and helmets to help them get to the surface. So to me it's not unusual to find that someone who went in the water accidentally may have taken off boots and pants to give them freer movement.

I agree with other posters who consider that Riley may have undone his pants to urinate, lost his balance and fell in the river. It's natural response to try and remove clothing that is either weighing you down or hampering your movements.

The mention of gabapentin caught my eye. The vet gave one of my cats gabapentin after a surgery, and my cat had an adverse reaction to it. His hind legs basically stopped working properly. He'd clumsily bunny-hop around instead of walking normally. Thankfully he went back to normal within a couple of days after the gabapentin was discontinued. I wonder if it could have a similar effect in some people ... affecting their ability to walk? If gabapentin was found in RS, maybe a similar reaction is the reason (or part of the reason) he fell into the water?

Gabapentin wasn't actually found in RS, though, right? (Am I understanding it correctly?)

It's such a tragic accident, but one that repeats itself around the world regularly. I do not think anyone is to blame in an accident, but if this happened to my son, I would want to understand every factor fully-- what he drank where, who provided the THC, how they became separated, where and when he likely fell into the water, any phone activity leading up to it, etc. I would want to try to understand everything.

thank you
so it's commonly tested for?
Gabapentin is not a federally controlled substance but seven states classify it as controlled. In those seven states (including Tennessee) it is commonly tested for along with other controlled substances.

According to the autopsy Riley Strain did not have Gabapentin in his system.

The mention of gabapentin caught my eye. The vet gave one of my cats gabapentin after a surgery, and my cat had an adverse reaction to it. His hind legs basically stopped working properly. He'd clumsily bunny-hop around instead of walking normally. Thankfully he went back to normal within a couple of days after the gabapentin was discontinued. I wonder if it could have a similar effect in some people ... affecting their ability to walk? If gabapentin was found in RS, maybe a similar reaction is the reason (or part of the reason) he fell into the water?

Gabapentin wasn't actually found in RS, though, right? (Am I understanding it correctly?)
Gabapentin is prescribed to cats to manage pain after surgery, to prevent seizures, or to reduce anxiety.

Side effects for cats treated with Gabapentin include lack of coordination, which sounds like the side effect your cat experienced.

When humans take Gabapentin one of the side effects can be clumsiness or lack of coordination, but Riley did not have Gabapentin in his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow