Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's such a tragic accident, but one that repeats itself around the world regularly. I do not think anyone is to blame in an accident, but if this happened to my son, I would want to understand every factor fully-- what he drank where, who provided the THC, how they became separated, where and when he likely fell into the water, any phone activity leading up to it, etc. I would want to try to understand everything.
While i understand the sentiment, wanting to know what he drank, where he got it fro, where he got the THC, etc is really only beneficial to try to point fingers. The truth is Riley made his choices and they cost him dearly.

It’s sad but common. It would be nice if colleges, or bars, or even the parents of a child who dies like this, would make a large scale effort to bring awareness to how common this is, especially for young men. Teach young men to use the buddy system, advise against peeing in large bodies of water when drunk, anything that would prevent deaths would be a win in my book.

JMO

While i understand the sentiment, wanting to know what he drank, where he got it fro, where he got the THC, etc is really only beneficial to try to point fingers. The truth is Riley made his choices and they cost him dearly.

It’s sad but common. It would be nice if colleges, or bars, or even the parents of a child who dies like this, would make a large scale effort to bring awareness to how common this is, especially for young men. Teach young men to use the buddy system, advise against peeing in large bodies of water when drunk, anything that would prevent deaths would be a win in my book.

JMO
Agreed. Moderation should be taught as well. Extreme intoxication is dangerous and can lead to fatal outcomes.

This has been on my heart from the day I started following this sad story of Riley.

IMO a serious problem has developed in the last couple generations with drinking commonplace at a younger and younger age (of course against the law) and in excess way beyond anything I ever saw in my rebellious years or heard my parents talk about. Then add in all the drug abuse and misuse, alone or mixed with booze.

Addiction is florishing (drug and alcohol) and rehab facilities are booming. I hear young people saying their GOAL is to get hammered, and it’s not just on weekends. The kids at high schools in my area are usually allowed to leave campus for lunch, and many get high or go to someone’s home to drink before returning to school for p.m. classes.

The result is date rape, terrible car accidents, shootings, crime, unwanted pregnancy, and of course accidents like Riley’s. All life changing or life ending events. Why? Why has this become so prevalent ?

Is it because something has changed in our society, our values, our accepted social norms, parenting, and/or family structure? Is it the influence of TV shows and Hollywood? Is it the Internet, social media, and/or every kid having a cell phone? My impression is it’s getting worse and worse — so terribly tragic.

Riley is just one more very sad situation to add to the statistics. I am certain there are Riley stories everyday. How do we turn this around?

OMHO.

This has been on my heart from the day I started following this sad story of Riley.

IMO a serious problem has developed in the last couple generations with drinking commonplace at a younger and younger age (of course against the law) and in excess way beyond anything I ever saw in my rebellious years or heard my parents talk about. Then add in all the drug abuse and misuse, alone or mixed with booze.

Addiction is florishing (drug and alcohol) and rehab facilities are booming. I hear young people saying their GOAL is to get hammered, and it’s not just on weekends. The kids at high schools in my area are usually allowed to leave campus for lunch, and many get high or go to someone’s home to drink before returning to school for p.m. classes.

The result is date rape, terrible car accidents, shootings, crime, unwanted pregnancy, and of course accidents like Riley’s. All life changing or life ending events. Why? Why has this become so prevalent ?

Is it because something has changed in our society, our values, our accepted social norms, parenting, and/or family structure? Is it the influence of TV shows and Hollywood? Is it the Internet, social media, and/or every kid having a cell phone? My impression is it’s getting worse and worse — so terribly tragic.

Riley is just one more very sad situation to add to the statistics. I am certain there are Riley stories everyday. How do we turn this around?

OMHO.
I honestly think it is social media/cell phones. I'm glad we didn't have either when I was a teenager.

The mention of gabapentin caught my eye. The vet gave one of my cats gabapentin after a surgery, and my cat had an adverse reaction to it. His hind legs basically stopped working properly. He'd clumsily bunny-hop around instead of walking normally. Thankfully he went back to normal within a couple of days after the gabapentin was discontinued. I wonder if it could have a similar effect in some people ... affecting their ability to walk? If gabapentin was found in RS, maybe a similar reaction is the reason (or part of the reason) he fell into the water?

Gabapentin wasn't actually found in RS, though, right? (Am I understanding it correctly?)

it was not found - they just tested for it
I had the same reaction being very familiar with it after treatment in my cats

OMHO.

I don't think drinking is any worse. My group of friends would go to huge bush parties with hundreds of kids from the local high schools, most of whom were not of age. And age here is 19 now - at the time maybe 18. Everyone was wasted. And yes, we left school, went to the conservation park across the street and did drugs. And yes, our goal was always to get hammered. We weren't criminals though there were a couple unwanted pregnancies and drunk driving was rampant. I think you're looking for an answer that doesn't exist. If crime is worse in the U.S., it's not because of social media because it's not happening to that degree in other countries.

ETA - any one of my peers could've been Riley falling into close by water sources inebriated.

OMHO.
Agreed. In the Kiley Rodni case, which of course led to death at 16, I was surprised at the amount of people on social media who believed that her attendance at alcohol parties and drinking as a minor was par for the course.

There are laws in place for a reason.

JUN 21, 2024
[...]

Fischer says he doesn’t feel Strain’s fraternity brothers are withholding information. They talked to the cops, and he began speaking to them six weeks ago. He describes his six interviews as cooperative and far-reaching, with no lawyers involved.

[...]

He then describes how a group of Delta Chi brothers responded upon learning Strain was not back in the hotel, at approximately 1:30AM on March 9.

"(They) began a search in the pouring rain that lasted until about 5AM. They contacted Riley’s family. They then went to the detention center, thinking it was a police station, to file a report."

This group then walked to a police station on the other side of town and “had no luck filing a report," so they called 911. "They waited five hours for an officer to be assigned from 911, but no officers ever arrived,” Fischer writes.

[...]

JUN 21, 2024
[...]

Fischer says he doesn’t feel Strain’s fraternity brothers are withholding information. They talked to the cops, and he began speaking to them six weeks ago. He describes his six interviews as cooperative and far-reaching, with no lawyers involved.

[...]

He then describes how a group of Delta Chi brothers responded upon learning Strain was not back in the hotel, at approximately 1:30AM on March 9.

"(They) began a search in the pouring rain that lasted until about 5AM. They contacted Riley’s family. They then went to the detention center, thinking it was a police station, to file a report."

This group then walked to a police station on the other side of town and “had no luck filing a report," so they called 911. "They waited five hours for an officer to be assigned from 911, but no officers ever arrived,” Fischer writes.

[...]
Wow. So then what is he up to with encouraging the parents to believe in some sort of foul play?

Wow. So then what is he up to with encouraging the parents to believe in some sort of foul play?
I don't know that's he's done that. He called out Jennifer Coffindaffer for announcing there was no foul play involved because the final autopsy results weren't released yet. Is that what you're referring to or have I missed something? MOO

I don't know that's he's done that. He called out Jennifer Coffindaffer for announcing there was no foul play involved because the final autopsy results weren't released yet. Is that what you're referring to or have I missed something? MOO

I was referring to this, but maybe I misunderstood it:

Thanks for the link. I think his issue is that the conclusion of no foul play was made prematurely, ie: before the final report was issued. But @SF_Investigates is a member here and I don't want to put words in his mouth. Perhaps he'll chime in and clear this up for us.

For reference, the ME's report was signed June 17, 2024:
riley ME report.png

@SMK777
I read investigator's quote at link differently.

"Fischer... makes clear he has done his best not to allow the family's emotions to steer his investigation.
""I honestly do not know if they have spoken to the family or not. That is not how my communication with the family works. When we speak, it is very matter-of-fact, and those are personal issues that I cannot let influence my investigation."" (sbm)

Not that he's "stirring things up" w the parents.
imo

@SMK777

"Fischer... makes clear he has done his best not to allow the family's emotions to steer his investigation.
""I honestly do not know if they have spoken to the family or not. That is not how my communication with the family works. When we speak, it is very matter-of-fact, and those are personal issues that I cannot let influence my investigation."" (sbm)

imo

MAR 18, 2024
Steve Fischer is a private investigator based in California who is looking into the case for free.

Thanks for the link. I think his issue is that the conclusion of no foul play was made prematurely, ie: before the final report was issued. But @SF_Investigates is a member here and I don't want to put words in his mouth. Perhaps he'll chime in and clear this up for us.

For reference, the ME's report was signed June 17, 2024:
View attachment 512378
Oh, ok. I was not aware that he’s a member. Thanks.

@SMK777

imo

I think the author of that article created a stir, perhaps intentionally, with their very misleading headline, by leaving out 3 key words!

“An investigator hired by Riley Strain's family labeled autopsy and toxicology results disseminated last weekend as "lies."”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member