Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

New video details the night 22-year-old Riley Strain went missing

:57 Riley follows a friend through the bar to what appears to be their table. They sit for awhile and then Riley follows a friend up to the bar. It is about at this time security sends out the alert that Riley was verbally aggressive with staff.

1:20 Not long after that, an employee points Riley out to a security guard, who then goes to talk to him. After a few minutes of conversation, you see Riley's friend trying to get him to go back to the table, but he stays.

1:35 After more talking, the security guard then moves to lead Riley out of the bar. The friend in the backwards baseball hat turns to go tell the others, and that brings us to the video of the stairway...

1:53 "By the time Strain's fraternity brothers made it down to try to find him, he was gone."
Thank you for that summary.

I wonder how this fits in with the family spokesman's early reports that Riley was actually trying to be helpful. Maybe it was as simple as him telling the bartender she made a drink incorrectly or that it wasn't cold enough, or some sort of "suggestion" that rubbed her the wrong way:

"Additionally, Dingman disclosed that Strain’s removal from the bar was not due to confrontations but rather a conversation with an employee.

“There was no argument … Riley was actually trying to do a good deed,” Dingman said. “They felt like, you know, maybe he had had enough.”"

I wonder how this fits in with the family spokesman's early reports that Riley was actually trying to be helpful. Maybe it was as simple as him telling the bartender she made a drink incorrectly or that it wasn't cold enough, or some sort of "suggestion" that rubbed her the wrong way:

"Additionally, Dingman disclosed that Strain’s removal from the bar was not due to confrontations but rather a conversation with an employee.

“There was no argument … Riley was actually trying to do a good deed,” Dingman said. “They felt like, you know, maybe he had had enough.”"

I think the family spokesperson existed to paint Riley in the best light, even if that involved massaging the truth.

Even persistence, how ever well-intentioned, can be aggressive. "Trying to help" can be helpful... or pushy. Probably, more than anything, it called attention to him. Tragic how it ended but entirely unforeseeable. He wasn't falling-down drunk, so good on the bar for policing the place.

As for his friends, it was essentially a pub crawl, within walking distance of the hotel. No risk of drunk driving, no need for a designated driver. That's fairly responsible....

Should someone have walked Riley back to the hotel? Well, sure. We especially know that NOW, but then? His friends were also drinking, at varying degrees of buzzed themselves. Critical thinking hampered all around.

Understandable that Riley got turned around. Could he, would he have made it back to the hotel then? But woulda, coulda, shoulda. Officer could have given him directions, a rode, a citation. But no one, least of all Riley, knew he was headed to death. Series of unfortunate events.

Why was he running? Nature calls. Ultimately I think that's what cost him his life in the end, off the path, lost his balance.

It is a cautionary tale, but America's favorite pass-time will probably always have pull.

I feel for Riley's family, friends and even fraternity brothers -- because the loss never goes away.

JMO

Wondering if Riley was not only verbally aggressive with staff, but with his fraternity brothers, and/or if he had a social history with the brothers for being a mean drunk. Could explain why the fraternity let him leave alone, even if it wasn't the right thing to do.

Sometimes I think it has to do with what a person consumes not how much. I worked with a older woman who was a lovely person. We'd go out after work, she'd drink rum and cokes and just became funnier, but oh, boy, give that woman some wine and boom! she became her alter ego; snide remarks, belligerent, combative. The first time I was aware of the change in her happened at a government Christmas party when we were served wine with dinner. She was rude to a high level government official, made disparaging remarks to people as well as about them. Got a little frisky with some of the guys, etc. Yikes. The only saving grace for this woman was she had no recollection of her behavior.

Sometimes I think it has to do with what a person consumes not how much. I worked with an older woman who was a lovely person. We'd go out after work, she'd drink rum and cokes and just became funnier, but oh, boy, give that woman some wine and boom! she became her alter ego; snide remarks, belligerent, combative. The first time I was aware of the change in her happened at a government Christmas party when we were served wine with dinner. She was rude to a high level government official, made disparaging remarks to people as well as about them. Got a little frisky with some of the guys, etc. Yikes. The only saving grace for this woman was she had no recollection of her behavior.
I hope someone told her about her behavior so that she would be sure not to consume wine like that again!

I hope someone told her about her behavior so that she would be sure not to consume wine like that again!
We told her but she didn't believe it and her belief was bolstered by the fact no one called her into the office. Probably because it's embarrassing for bosses to have that conversation regarding an event outside the work environment even if it was work related. I don't remember anyone being reprimanded for another work event I attended, a charity golf game, where some drunk employee drove a golf cart off a little bridge over a stream. Maybe because said drunk employee was one of the bosses? As for our work mate we just ended up monitoring her at events ensuring she only drank mixed drinks, even at her own retirement party. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WickedDreamer83
Back