Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
''Geoff Newiss, who co-authored the University of Portsmouth research, studied each of the 150 cases to analyse why so many young men die in water.
His work shows that 70% of those who went missing on nights out were aged 25 and under, with 45% being under 21 – and more than one third were students. The winter months of December, January, February and March accounted for over half of all cases.

“What you find with men, there is a lot higher risk of fatality. These estimates are based on pretty ropey data, but it’s the best we’ve got. I always say if it’s a man missing on a night out and you haven’t got them back in the first 24-48 hours, then you are looking at a roughly 90% fatality rate. That is absolutely enormous. It’s probably the highest risk of fatality among any missing person category.”
Newiss added: “With women, there is a much higher rate of homicide. There are accidents as well. There was quite a famous case in York a few years ago which was very much the male profile of too much to drink and she went down by the river and stumbled in. But you don’t hear it as often with women.”
Shrewsbury and York are just two of the hotspots, along with Bath, Durham, Bristol and Manchester. Each place has two crucial things in common – a busy night-time economy and a river or canal running near the town centre.''
Thank you for the article but I’m still struggling to understand the why. After searching on Google I couldn’t find any other answers. My only guess is that men underestimate their capability of walking near water safely, and seem drawn to either walk toward it or alongside it.

Thank you for the article but I’m still struggling to understand the why. After searching on Google I couldn’t find any other answers. My only guess is that men underestimate their capability of walking near water safely, and seem drawn to either walk toward it or alongside it.
Yeah, I think part of it too is that in the location of many of these bars, you have to come in close proximity to the water in order to get where you’re going.

Does anyone have any idea why drunk men gravitate towards water vs women? I find it odd!
I know drunk logic is NOt normal logic but why aren't women gravitating towards water as well?

I found this article by Anderson Cooper on CNN
I’ve wondered this often myself. Honestly I think the main difference is likely just that as women we’re taught from a very young age to never go anywhere alone, especially not at night, and especially not while intoxicated. Whereas I feel men are more taught to fend for themselves it seems. As for the times when women do unfortunately end up somewhere alone at night while visibly intoxicated, I think we’re just more likely to meet several other different fates well before we even have time to reach the water– which may even include potentially receiving help from other women if we’re lucky!

<modsnip - quoted post was social media rumor>
I recently took a trip to a big city and was shocked at how 2 of my 3 Ubers were Tesla’s. I’m hoping we see Tesla videos in investigations soon. Hoping somebody’s caught Riley on dashcam.

Last edited by a moderator:
[However, research shows that blue spaces — water — are just as beneficial, with particular advantages for soothing a troubled mind and promoting a sense of relaxation. According to experts, if you’re in or near a body of water, you inherently feel calmer and more at ease.

Being by water has other effects on our internal state, too, that are useful for people dealing with stress, anxiety, depression and a number of other mental health concerns.]

I suppose when you are drunk you might similarly be drawn to water for its soothing effect on the mind, with the drunkenness being a sort of mental stressor with its depressive effects.

Link to dram shop laws in Tennessee

This article is making me less certain Riley went into the water.
New leads
......"we get new leads and go down different avenues,” family friend Chris Dingman said. “We’re going to get there, but it also opens up more doors on what could’ve possibly happened."
Scaling back the water search, the homeless guy who evidently saw Riley (past the last ping area, I'm not sure). "Dingman said they walked along the banks of the river and stopped at several homeless camps. One person recognized Strain from a photo but did not remember where he went."
The family also took a boat 14 miles down the river....nothing found. Would a body have surfaced by now? 4/5 days?

New leads
......"we get new leads and go down different avenues,” family friend Chris Dingman said. “We’re going to get there, but it also opens up more doors on what could’ve possibly happened."
Scaling back the water search, the homeless guy who evidently saw Riley (past the last ping area, I'm not sure). "Dingman said they walked along the banks of the river and stopped at several homeless camps. One person recognized Strain from a photo but did not remember where he went."
The family also took a boat 14 miles down the river....nothing found. Would a body have surfaced by now? 4/5 days?

When a body will float apparently depends on lots of factors, to include water temperature and the type of body of water that it is (river vs lake for instance). In general though it seems to be a few days.

Then you have to contend with the river carrying the body even further away.

A 22-year-old University of Missouri student has gone missing after being kicked out of country music star Luke Bryan's bar in Nashville, Tennessee, last week.

1710377943417.png

A 22-year-old University of Missouri student has gone missing after being kicked out of country music star Luke Bryan's bar in Nashville, Tennessee, last week.

Riley Strain, a senior at MU, was last seen by friends on the night of March 8 at a bar in downtown Nashville’s busy Broadway area, according to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department.

"Officers continue to work to locate missing person Riley Strain, 22, who was last seen Fri. night by friends @ a Broadway bar in Nashville," the Nashville PD stated, before describing Strain as "6’5” tall with a thin build, blue eyes and light brown hair."
More at link...

March 13, 2024
1710378076984.png

New leads

Depends on what obstacles may be underwater- trees, rocks, other debris could entrap a body or keep it underwater until force or nature dislodges it. We've had several people drown (swimming/wading) in a river near me, and it's the unseen holes, debris and trees they're usually tangled up in below the surface. JMO

I’m reminded of Carol Schulte’s case, from 2022. A 70-something experienced hiker who disappeared and whose body was located 30 miles (!!!) from her last known location, in the Meremac River, after about a week. They had had a ton of rainfall and the Meremac was high and fast moving.

Another more recent case of a body traveling a long distance is when sudden flash floods hit Bucks County, PA, last year, a family exited their car and some of the family members were swept away by a stream-turned-river. That stream fed into the huge Delaware River and about a week later, one of the young children who had been swept away was found in northeast Philadelphia in the Delaware, again, about 30 miles away. Authorities had been searching the immediate area.

What are conditions like of the river in Nashville this time of year? High and fast moving?

Following.
That nearby river makes me nervous.
This is a story I've heard before, so to speak.
His poor family !

Hoping for good news, as in he just passed out somewhere and is feeling embarrassed.
But it sounds like his family is pretty close, so... he'd have contacted them by now if he could ?
Omo.

From the article—

[…]

Office of Emergency Management crews searched the river for hours on Tuesday with boats and specially equipped drones but found nothing. Strain’s family also went 14 miles down the river in a boat with a non-profit organization.

“The sad part of this situation is every day we get new leads and go down different avenues,” family friend Chris Dingman said. “We’re going to get there, but it also opens up more doors on what could’ve possibly happened.”

Dingman said they walked along the banks of the river and stopped at several homeless camps. One person recognized Strain from a photo but did not remember where he went.

[…]

That last sentence kind of stood out to me. Another member mentioned upthread that they hope LE is looking in the camps.
Not suggesting anything nefarious, just maybe RS sufffered like a type of amnesia and took refuge there. Just a thought.
This is so utterly heartbreaking. I can’t watch those videos, once was enough JMO

From the article—

That last sentence kind of stood out to me. Another member mentioned upthread that they hope LE is looking in the camps.
Not suggesting anything nefarious, just maybe RS sufffered like a type of amnesia and took refuge there. Just a thought.
SBM
A good thought. M did this in New Orleans in Nov. Sep. 2022, and it turned out well.

edited month

Last edited:
I don’t usually post on sites such as this, but the story really piqued my curiosity for some reason. That area where his phone last pinged looks pretty janky, and the kind of place where things might happen. I wonder what drew him there, as he must had known he was off track earlier and should had asked a passerby for directions back to his hotel.

I ended up pretty drunk myself at that age, and never became so dissociated that my safety was in danger. And I started drinking and partying at 13 or so. And I agree with another poster about not blaming the bar or his friends. He is old enough to be a rookie fighter pilot in the Air Force. Heck, I was living on my own in Skid Row Seattle at age 17, renting a room in a flophouse.

I am hoping that there is a good resolution to this, and I feel for his family. Possibly the reality of bar hopping is not as glamorous as they make it out to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay