Toddler's Mother/Peaches/Jane Doe #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this will help SR:
Barry Shulman was given a two-year sentence for pleading guilty in Suffolk to helping his brother dump the bodies of two victims. When his brother pleaded guilty in Westchester, Barry Shulman pleaded guilty to the disposal of Vasquez's body in Yonkers. He was given a two-year prison term to run at the same time as the Long Island sentence.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/02/yonkers-victim-serial-killer/28353213/

Thanks, Armchair-reader. So Westchester ran his time concurrent with his Suffolk sentence, which means he served the 2 years in Suffolk County (I believe there are 2 jails there? Riverhead, and I forget the second one)

Unless the time of death for Peaches is off, Robert Shulman would have been incarcerated while she was murdered, and I doubt that Barry Shulman murdered anyone. I think he just helped his brother dispose of the bodies and nothing more.

Sorry for this being OT, but I need to say that when I theorized a rental, Evey mentioned that in a previous post upthread and I didn't catch it. I also didn't catch JJBONES' mention that perhaps tracing the sheets themselves might not lead somewhere. I guess I didn't read as thoroughly as I thought I did before posting. As someone who doesn't contribute often, I want to say things that are credible and take into account the stuff that has been said before.

It is heartwarming to see so many people working to identify the missing and unknown. My stepbrother, Pete, is a drifter. I have not seen him since Easter in 2000. My dad and stepmom saw him a few years after that, but AFAIK, no one has seen him in about a decade. He is in his mid 40s and has lived this life since his teens. I don't know if he's truly missing or permanently gone on a voluntary basis, but I don't even know if he's alive. I don't think anyone knows. Sometimes I am afraid I will see him in a morgue photo.

But mostly I just hope that if he died as a John Doe, somebody would care enough to figure out who he was. Like all of you are doing for these people, and hundreds more on these threads. We know successes happen at Websleuths.
I agree with your previous post about sleuthing the fabric company. I think the sham will lead us good clues if we can trace into a hotel or motel and part of me wonders if the killer assumes we'd assume she was also a prositute and that we'd only check crappy spots and miss the higher class ones. I feel they'd have a file saying they had those and that they billed someone for it being missing but I also don't know if she was killed in one. If I lived in New York I would ask around places but sadly Oregon isn't close

WOW! I personally can't see anything under the Peach as so many have already written here that they can see something. My eyes must be going bad! LOL

Wonderful if it's true!! TONY possibly??? I'll have to take a closer look.
It took me a bit before I saw letters but at first she thought she saw the word my but then say tony but I know she sent me another message about it so when I wake I'll give it a look! Lack of sleep and being sick has made me terrible at reading messages and even reading the forum.

I really doubt that the pillow sham is going to lead back to a hotel or motel. I've searched suppliers for hotels/motels that have been around for a long time and have yet to be able to find one that uses the Wamsutta brand. There are bunch that would have been business around the time of Peaches death. I really doubt it came from a motel/hotel.

I really doubt that the pillow sham is going to lead back to a hotel or motel. I've searched suppliers for hotels/motels that have been around for a long time and have yet to be able to find one that uses the Wamsutta brand. There are bunch that would have been business around the time of Peaches death. I really doubt it came from a motel/hotel.
Yea I feel that way but it's the only way I see the sham being a clue because otherwsise we don't know if this was from his house a thrift store etc

While I doubt this would be the case maybe she's a mail order bride. Or a runaway he kidnapped and kept hostage. I was looking up peaches and a women who died comes up and it mentions her and her toddler creepily enough

Thanks, Armchair-reader. So Westchester ran his time concurrent with his Suffolk sentence, which means he served the 2 years in Suffolk County (I believe there are 2 jails there? Riverhead, and I forget the second one)

Unless the time of death for Peaches is off, Robert Shulman would have been incarcerated while she was murdered, and I doubt that Barry Shulman murdered anyone. I think he just helped his brother dispose of the bodies and nothing more.
Thats what I thought but someone else posted he was granted bail and wasn't actually convicted until 1999. Its just a case of how long he served that time from 1999. Someone suggested it might have been as little as 10 months.

Yaphank is where he probably served. It is the minimum security prison for Suffolk County. He was charged in 1996, but was out on bail until his trial in Dec 1999. He was convicted in Dec 1999 & his sentence hearing was Jan 21, 2000. If he started his jail sentence in Dec 99 & earliest parole could be 10 months (suggested by another sleuther), he would have been out in Oct 2000. While tight, it is within the parameters of Jane Doe 6 in Manorville who was found in Nov 2000. Finding his exact dates of incarceration is crucial.

I work on UIDs for a few hours every morning, and have been doing so for several years now. For me, it has gotten somewhat easier in terms of the heartbreak, but the frustration just never goes away. We are already dealing with a needle in a haystack situation, but when you add to that the uncertainty of plowing through the haystack not even knowing if the needle is even in there...that is a defeating feeling. What keeps me going is the successes we've had. Even one match makes this all worth it, and we've had several. I also view this as an opportunity to encourage the families of missing loved ones to file a missing person report and get their loved into the NAMUS database. It's doesn't serve anyone to judge these families...very often, they don't even know the resources are out there, or that there are people who truly do care and want to help. I try to turn my frustration into an opportunity to educate. That is where I find hope in all this.

I will still work on submitting matches and do my part to help these families and victims. But some days it is over whelming to say the least.

The following appears courtesy of the 12/7/99 online edition of The Long
Island Newsday newspaper:

Plea Deal Nets Killer's Brother Two Years

BY: By Erik Holm. STAFF WRITER
EDITION: NASSAU AND SUFFOLK

DATE: 12-07-1999 A26
In exchange for pleading guilty to four counts of helping his
sibling dispose of the bodies of his victims and hindering prosecution,
Barry Shulman, the brother of convicted serial killer Robert Shulman,
will serve two years in Suffolk County jail, Suffolk County Court Judge
Arthur Pitts said in court yesterday.

The announcement of the plea deal came in the third day of a hearing
to determine whether Barry Shulman's confessions to police were
admissible at trial. After a short closed-door meeting among Pitts,
Assistant District Attorney Patricia Brosco and Shulman's attorney, John
Kase, Shulman stood and admitted to helping his older brother hide the
dismembered bodies of two prostitutes he had killed separately in 1994 and

His confession in court yesterday was mostly a series of quiet yeses
to questions read aloud by Brosco, although when the prosecutor twice
asked Shulman what exactly he had done, he held his hands stiffly at his
sides and replied simply, "I helped him dispose of the body." Shulman,
40, will serve one year for each of the two bodies he helped his brother
hide, Pitts said. He had faced up to 16 years in jail for two felony
counts of unlawfully disposing of a body, and two felony counts of
hindering his brother's prosecution. The district attorney's office and
the father of the second victim had maintained that Shulman deserved the
maximum sentence, since he did not report his older brother to police
after learning of the first murder.

"That's a slap on the face for me and a slap on the wrist for him,"
said John Bunting Jr., the father of Kelly Sue Bunting, whom Robert
Shulman killed and dismembered in December, 1995. "I am really mad right
now. I feel helpless." Minutes after Brosco called Bunting at his office
near Los Angeles to inform him of the plea bargain, Bunting said that
Brosco had just told him that Pitts was amenable to a plea bargain
because he was looking to clear his calendar before he became a Supreme
Court justice in January. But Bunting said he felt that the district
attorney's office was not aggressively pursuing Shulman's prosecution.

"I don't know who was trying and who wasn't," Bunting said. "There
are too many factions here, too many interests. I just don't think any
one of them cared enough about this case." Pitts could not be reached
for comment late yesterday afternoon.

Before the plea deal was announced, Brosco read a statement in court
saying prosecutors had wanted the maximum sentence, and contrasted
Shulman and his inaction with David Kaczynski, who turned in his
brother, "Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski, when he suspected him of sending
letter bombs.

Kase dismissed the comparison "It's one thing to have a man who was
a college-educated professor who hadn't seen his brother in 20 years
recognize that his brother was a suspect after identifying his
writings," Kase said after the plea. "It's another when you have a
10th-grade education and live in the room next door to your domineering
and controlling older brother, as Barry did. It was only after the
police questioned him that he realized what he had done was wrong."
Bunting said yesterday he didn't buy Shulman's defense. "You can't tell
me he didn't have sense enough or brains enough," he said. "If he can
use a telephone, he can dial 911." Robert Shulman's murder trial in the
deaths of two other women in Westchester County begins there today.
Barry Shulman could still face charges there similar to the ones he
pleaded guilty to yesterday.

Yaphank is where he probably served. It is the minimum security prison for Suffolk County. He was charged in 1996, but was out on bail until his trial in Dec 1999. He was convicted in Dec 1999 & his sentence hearing was Jan 21, 2000. If he started his jail sentence in Dec 99 & earliest parole could be 10 months (suggested by another sleuther), he would have been out in Oct 2000. While tight, it is within the parameters of Jane Doe 6 in Manorville who was found in Nov 2000. Finding his exact dates of incarceration is crucial.
I also have to agree that Barry had and still has nothing to do with actual murdering. He has been looked at, and ruled out early on by LE probably for more reasons than we know or that were ever made public.

I also have to agree that Barry had and still has nothing to do with actual murdering. He has been looked at, and ruled out early on by LE probably for more reasons than we know or that were ever made public.

I agree 100%. Also, FWIW, Robert Shulman didn't seem to decapitate any of his victims. He cut off their arms and sometimes one or both legs (he only cut off 1 of Yonkers Jane's legs, IDK why).

There are so many UID's it's crazy. I could just spend hours upon hours at find the missing trying to make matches.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. Also, FWIW, Robert Shulman didn't seem to decapitate any of his victims. He cut off their arms and sometimes one or both legs (he only cut off 1 of Yonkers Jane's legs, IDK why).
Have we completely ruled out John bittrolff?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Have we completely ruled out John bittrolff?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I don't know enough about Bittrolff to say yes or no, but I thought the women he had murdered were not dismembered in any way? Does not seem to fit his MO.

What if the pillow sham isn't something that can be tracked down via the store? What if it was donated to Goodwill or another second-hand store and picked up by the killer to be used as something disposable?

I don't know enough about Bittrolff to say yes or no, but I thought the women he had murdered were not dismembered in any way? Does not seem to fit his MO.
John Bittrolff
3rd potential victim had multilations, and was posed.
1st two victims naked and posed

Manorville Butcher
Several of the torsos were posed and naked.
JT had tattoo mutilated.
Bittrolff lived in prime location

Can't be ruled out IMO if convicted.

I'm not sure they will be able to answer, but I do feel someone should ask if they had deals to supply hotels in the 1990s. As I stated up thread, the higher the order, the cheaper the cost.

Problem is, staff turnover coupled with time elapsed (companies only obliged to hold financial information for certain period of time - UK its 7 years) means some of this information may be unavailable by now.

1st time poster, long time lurker.

As a hotelier, I can advise that most Hotels will not use coloured linen on their beds due to the harsh chemicals required to clean them to appropriate hygiene standards. These chemicals cause colour loss resulting in them having to be replaced too often and increasing cost. Generally, Hotels work on a minimum thread count of 400 again, due to durability. If the sham came from an accommodation venue it would have been a small one (B&B or Motel) who launders their own linen internally. I would think it would have less than 20 rooms and not utilising commercial laundering techniques e.g. laundering in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003