Topsham, Maine, Bowdoin College Student Qingyang Zhan found dead in Main Street Parking Lot, 31 March, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sundog

Reaction score

A Bowdoin College student has been found dead in a parking lot in Topsham.

The 20-year-old woman from California was found about 7:02 a.m. Sunday in a Main Street parking lot, according to Topsham Police Chief Marc Hagan.

Her body was taken to the Maine medical examiner’s office in Augusta, where an autopsy was conducted. Hagan said Sunday evening that the results are pending.

A Chinese exchange student was found dead in a Maine parking lot over the weekend.

Police found the remains of Bowdoin College student Qingyang Zhan, 20, in the lot near the Frank J. Woods Bridge in Topsham, about 30 minutes north of Portland, on Sunday morning.

Officials said they are investigating the death but don't believe there is a threat to the public.

A Chinese exchange student was found dead in a Maine parking lot over the weekend.

Police found the remains of Bowdoin College student Qingyang Zhan, 20, in the lot near the Frank J. Woods Bridge in Topsham, about 30 minutes north of Portland, on Sunday morning.

Officials said they are investigating the death but don't believe there is a threat to the public.

Officials are saying that they don't believe there is a threat to the public. I wonder if there is evidence of a drug overdose, if she was found in a car that belonged to her? Just trying to think of why LE would make that statement, especially since this is an odd place for a student to be found, in a parking lot near the bridge where equipment was being stored for bridge repair and construction.

Very sad situation. According to other news reports, students at Bowdoin College just returned from spring break on March 25th, so about a week before Ms. Zhan was found dead. She had only been in the U.S. studying since 2019, originally from Shanghai. Apparently she had studied in California upon arrival in the U.S. and then began her studies at Bowdoin College in 2021.

It is unclear whether police are investigating the case as a suicide, accident, medical event or a homicide. Hagan said in his statement that there is no active threat to the community and the investigation is ongoing.

So it sounds like she arrived in the US in 2019 in California. She moved on to Maine in fall of 2021. I can't imagine the pressure on a Chinese student during Covid. But we are several years on now.

I am so worried about what this young woman went through. Imagine coming to a far-away country and trying to fit in? It must be so difficult. We have many, many Chinese attending university here in Canada, but I'm guessing it is more limited in Maine. I'd love to hear from someone who knows if there are many Chinese students in Maine.

Last edited:
So it sounds like she arrived in the US in 2019 in California. She moved on to Maine in fall of 2021. I can't imagine the pressure on a Chinese student during Covid. But we are several years on now.

I am so worried about what this young woman went through. Imagine coming to a far-away country and trying to fit in? It must be so difficult. We have many, many Chinese attending university here in Canada, but I'm guessing it is more limited in Maine. I'd love to hear from someone who knows if there are many Chinese students in Maine.
From the articles about Zhan, it sounds like she was well-adjusted to her program at Bowdoin and that she was highly engaged and also took a leadership role in creating the Chinese international Student Association and some other groups. She also played piano and another instrument in the college band, etc. Bowdoin is a small, private liberal arts college with a national reputation that is ranked in the top 10 of private liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Class sizes are small and students are highly engaged with their professors and other students. It is a pretty tight and supportive community The tuition and fees per year are about $68,000 which allows the college to provide small classes and lots of student-faculty engagement and mentoring. If this is a case of self-harm, then I can't help but wonder if it could be related to something personal rather than academic, although this is purely speculation. Perhaps a personal relationship issue, or an accidental overdose or alcohol incident. Regardless, it is very sad and tragic as this young woman obviously had a great deal of talent and was by all accounts a highly creative and kind and caring person. I really feel for her family. She was only 20 years old.

Rest in peace, Qingyang Zhan, and prayers for her parents and brother.

Edited to add: With regard to international students from the PRC, the highest numbers are among graduate students and not as many Chinese students come to the U.S. as undergraduate students. The University of Maine system is likely to have the highest number of international student in the state. If I remember correctly, there were about 38 international students from China studying at Bowdoin last year, and about 7% of the student body were Asian American. So at a small, private college, that is a fair number of international students from the PRC.

Often undergrad students from China and other non-English speaking countries start their collegiate-level studies in the U.S. by enrolling in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program and then enter into a baccalaureate program either at the same university where they study ESL, or they transfer to another institution once they have completed their ESL studies. I'm guessing that is what QZ did in California (ESL) and then moved forward with her studies at Bowdoin.

I hope we will learn more when the autopsy is complete and there is more information on what led to her untimely death.

It seems like there have been a LOT of cases involving college students lately. Not implying a connection between them, but it just seems like they have been hitting the news frequently.

From what I could see, although she was in the parking lot, she may not have been in a vehicle. None of the articles linked state that she was in a vehicle, only that she was found in a parking lot. So far, it isn't easy to understand what happened at all.

From what I could see, although she was in the parking lot, she may not have been in a vehicle. None of the articles linked state that she was in a vehicle, only that she was found in a parking lot. So far, it isn't easy to understand what happened at all.
The Topsham side of the bridge is a little over a mile away from campus, what I would consider to be walking distance.
ETA map (start and finish points arbitrary)

Last edited:
The Topsham side of the bridge is a little over a mile away from campus, what I would consider to be walking distance.
ETA map (start and finish points arbitrary)
Can you walk over the bridge or bicycle? And are there pubs or bars that students go to on the Topsham side of the bridge on weekends?

Can you walk over the bridge or bicycle? And are there pubs or bars that students go to on the Topsham side of the bridge on weekends?
There's a sidewalk on the left side of the bridge, and a brewpub in Topsham next to the bridge. Keep in mind, however, she was only 20.
A replacement for the bridge is under construction, as can be seen in the staged construction equipment in the street view from 2023.

Heartbreaking news on the cause of death of Qingyang Zhan.

A Bowdoin College student found dead in a Topsham parking lot Sunday appeared to have died by suicide, police announced Tuesday.

Twenty-year-old Qingyang Zhan, known as K, was found dead off Main Street near the Frank J. Wood Bridge, about a mile from Bowdoin's campus.
"All investigative facts and circumstances have led this agency to conclude that Qingyang took her own life," Topsham police Chief Marc Hagan said in a statement Tuesday. "No further details regarding Qingyang's death will be released by this agency out of respect for the privacy of her family."

ETA Prayers for her family - her parents and brothers - and other loved ones.

The President of Bowdoin College sent this email to students, faculty and staff today, with the news that Qingyang Zhan took her own life, sharing the information with the perimission of Ms. Zhan's parents.

“The past two days have been tremendously difficult and heartbreaking for members of our community as we have been thinking about K Zhan, wondering about the cause and circumstances of K’s death, and worrying about the impact of this devastating news on K’s family, friends, and loved ones, ” she wrote. “With permission from K’s parents, we are sharing that Topsham police now believe K died by suicide.

“This information does nothing to ease the pain and sorrow that so many feel today and will continue to experience in the days and weeks ahead. But we can and should continue to support one another and to take advantage of the resources available to us.”

<snipped>​

Prior to attending Bowdoin, Zhan was a student at the Athenian School in Danville, California.​

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of this beautiful young person and member of our Athenian community,” Athenian’s head of school Eric Niles said in an email. “On hearing the news, K’s Athenian teachers reflected on her maturity and gentle spirit. She had a sharp intellect and was a natural leader and a gifted musician. As a boarding student for much of her time at Athenian, the residential community was like a second family to her.

“For those who knew K, she loved her family fiercely. She had a deep impact on all of the communities she was part of during her short life. We are heartbroken and have her family in our thoughts.”

It could have been a relationship issue, or any number of things, I guess. It's not likely that we will ever know.

She studied at a prestigious private boarding school/college prep school in California for her last two years of high school, according to the article posted above. And then she applied to Bowdoin College that only accepts about 7% of the students who apply to study there. So I assume QZ was a high achiever to get into Bowdoin. There are so many challenges facing our young people today related to their identity, relationships issues, etc., especially on college campuses - and even in high school. And of course some people struggle with depression in their lives, and there also could have been drug and/or alcohol issues. Whatever the reason or reasons, it is very tragic and a great loss to her loved ones and her college community. This was QZ's third year at Bowdoin College and she had a position as a teaching assistant there. It is just my opinion, but I don't think there was an issue with her grades or academics.

It was the week after spring break. And a Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Did she have a car where she was found? How did she get there? Had she been at a local bar and then went to the parking lot to take her own life? Or did she leave her residence hall/dorm room and drive across the bridge to that location late that night/early Sunday morning?

So many unanswered questions and reasons that will likely remain unanswered.

Mental health is an issue for so many people. Young people in this post pandemic time are struggling not only because of the pressure (especially in elite schools) but also because they way young people connect is less and less face-to-face. It is harder to know their struggles. Even harder still to get them to open up about pressure, isolation or fears they have.

When my oldest left for college, we got a late evening email about a suicide on their college's campus. I felt worried and scared. My oldest also felt worried and scared. The college did what they could but it certainly meant that I kept closer tabs and encouraged mental health services more than I would have before. Far away from home, isolation and, in the case of elite schools, struggling to deal with what it means to be part of space where everyone was the best and brightest is a very difficult task.

RIP, Ms. Zhan. Thanks to her family for being open about her circumstances in hopes of saving another student.

The student newspaper at Bowdoin College, article today on remembering Qingyang "K" Zhan - an incredible young woman, an incredible loss. Thinking about her parents and brother, the faculty who taught her and admired her, and the students who were her friends, and other loved ones. A memorial service will be held on campus for K on Saturday, April 6 at 1 p.m. I hope her family will be there to experience the impact that K had on the campus community and how much she was cared for and admired.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back