trial day 36: the defense continues its case in chief #105

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, an advocate for abused women, Murray-Strauss, did a study to confirm some findings and found that there's actually parity in domestic violence, women initiate as often as men (which is often dismissed by the bogus claim women don't do much damage) and where a weapon is used, women do it more. In other words, in trying to confirm some results he found results that made him anathema.

The dynamic of domestic violence is extremely complex and isn't served by the old tropes of sexual politics.

People talk, and rightly so, about how under-reported rape is, and the need to make it less painful and stigmatized for a woman to come forward.

That being the case, it's not hard to imagine how under-reported men as victims of domestic violence is.

And the problem is worsened by the Violence Against Women Act (what's wrong with the "Violence Against People Act?)but all that assumes men = perpetrator and makes it so that should a man report being a victim of domestic violence, he's basically called himself in a reservation at the jail.

I worked on that piece of legislation and that was not the intent of this law. DV was a huge issue and needed to be addressed. The original law was passed mid 90's and a lot more is known now. In the writing of the VAWA, there was a lot of input from DV professionals on both women's, men's and children's abuse and ramifications of the abuse. I was charged with writing the DV protocol for the ER's in the state of Delaware, that was ratified and adopted. Many other states adopted our protocol, inserting their own state laws. The bill also helped strengthen the laws in all states. Was it perfect? No. But it did get the conversation started. Respectfully, JMV

I sort of agree. And I don't care who she sleeps with at night. Maybe it is just that she is easier on the ears than the good doctor Samuels. I am finding her, so far down to earth and fairly easy to listen to.

I also know I probably will hate her by noon tomorrow.

:floorlaugh:

I am still hopeful that she will be an unbiased expert. Unlike Dr. S, I don't get the impression that she will put her integrity and credibility on the line for JA. A TH who works in domestic violence said she thinks she will be very broad and generic when talking about abuse. She doesn't think she'll go out on the limb for JA because she has worked so long and hard at building her reputation. I'm hoping she's right.

I admit liking her better so far....I found her website and youtube workshops interesting, even if I didn't agree with some of the stuff. I think it will be interesting when JM gets a cross....she does not come across as an inept person so far. However I keep hearing more and more about her work and it really sounds like she is very well going to paint the victim pretty negatively. I want to keep an open mind but...

BBM: Me too! But if the word crater comes out of her mouth all bets are off.

Im confused, people have been bashing her for weeks and now there is a freak out about it? I think its scary that so many posters now like her because I think the jury will too and that will give her words more weight....and guess what folks, she is for Jodi all the way! She is not going to flip. I hope to eat these words by the way....

Eta: im not talking about her looks, I dont agree with that.

Not to worry, indicat....everyone is entitled to at least ONE mistake in their professional career. I just feel sorry for her because she is going to make that blunder on national TV! She seems like a nice lady - too bad. This will not affect the jury. As someone once said: "Mark my words"! This jury will find her GUILTY!

has anyone else noticed Arias slightly grinning each time now when the jurors are leaving the courtroom and today how Arias whispered to Wilmott at that time, looking very excited at that moment.

IMO, there's most likely 1 male juror who is making eye contact with Arias and she's thinking this juror is probably on her side.

that scares me...

That's what she's trying to make everyone think, but our court observers have been saying the jury ignores her completely ...

I thought I did see a wedding ring set on her hand.

IMO

Could have remarried to someone else and kept Laviolette as her last name. Only saw the marriage & divorce to JL on Ancestry.com

ETA: although one of the people search sites also show her as Alyce Dunn, so I don't know if that was maiden or another married name.

Should Jodi get away with murder because she went into a fog after killing Travis? (No I dont think she was in a fog). Thats BS? If she was in a fog she would have forgotten she was suppose to be making out with Ryan in his love sack. Remember Travis told a story about somone holding a gun to his head? He said there was a woman screaming. He wanted her to stop. Travis said he looked at the woman and was hoping she would see fear in the iris of his eyes so that she would shut up. So he would not get shot. Jodi was there when he told that story. So she made sure the last picture she took of him had fear in his eyes.

Depending on how bad she bashes TA I may have to take a break from watching. But definitely watch the cross by JM. I think for the sake of my blood pressure, when it gets too disgusting to hear, I'll just read and follow along here. I cannot fathom how TA's family has endured what the DT has done to that poor boy already and this woman is the 'star witness'. It's just not right.

I'm going to go watch Nancy Grace. Will check in later tonight....

OH yeah, will need to watch YouTube video to catch the part where our Live Feed blacked out for about 10 minutes at end of Samuels testimony. Missed JVM so will have to catch the late repeat.

:cat: :offtobed:

She's getting paid by the hour isn't she? For $250 per hr I think I'd work slowly too...

Dr. Samuels was being paid $250 per hour - not sure how much Dr. Laviolette is paid. But she's there from California, so they must be compensating her for her time, travel and accomodations.

I am interested in her history in domestic violence programs. I was almost choked to death by my ex-husb in 1979 and there was really no help/counseling back then. Cops dumped me in some horrible Salvation Army (I think) shelter. That was it. Things were very different back then.

The first women's shelter for abuse victims was opened in St. Paul, MN in 1974...true story had to do it as part of a timeline on DV for a Victimology class.

I myself have found. That is no longer the. Case since i started using a cell. Phone and tablet. To message from they. Have minds of their own and seem to ignore my ! knowledge of grammar and punctuation :giggle: and the wine is still breathing..

Snowcat
Thank you kindly. I'm on my ipad.
Back to just lurking and minding my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12