Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big picture.

My comments about him are kind of beside the point, to be honest. I don't think it matters in the long run. Even if he turns a juror or two off, they'll still return a verdict based on the evidence. But man, I seriously cannot stand him. I mean to the point that I comment about it here where practically every single person disagrees with me. lol I seriously do not get how anyone thinks he's amazing.

My comments about him are kind of beside the point, to be honest. I don't think it matters in the long run. Even if he turns a juror or two off, they'll still return a verdict based on the evidence. But man, I seriously cannot stand him. I mean to the point that I comment about it here where practically every single person disagrees with me. lol I seriously do not get how anyone thinks he's amazing.

It's good you are able to keep things in perspective. It's ok to not like the guy.

I assume you are referring to Juan Martinez the Prosecutor in this case, correct? If I am correct, JM is hitting all his marks - Would you want some little wimp standing up for one of your family members if they had been sliced and slashed and stalked by the defendant?

Imo, you can be assertive without being obnoxious, overwrought and petulant. Far more effectively so, imo.

And I don't personalize this situation at all. So no comment on what I would "want" in a prosecutor. My loved one would be dead and no amount of bluster/lack of bluster would be bringing them back. But that's how I look at things and obviously has no bearing on whether this family thinks he's doing a stellar job.

I assume you are referring to Juan Martinez the Prosecutor in this case, correct? If I am correct, JM is hitting all his marks - Would you want some little wimp standing up for one of your family members if they had been sliced and slashed and stalked by the defendant?

Totally agree with you.

Plus, the courtroom observers and the guests on the shows, who have been in the courtroom, ALL say it sounds louder on TV. They say he is not yelling in court. The observers in court have reported, he is simply a prosecutor with a passion, for obtaining justice for the victim. I would want him on my side any day!

Imo, you can be assertive without being obnoxious, overwrought and petulant. Far more effectively so, imo.

And I don't personalize this situation at all. So no comment on what I would "want" in a prosecutor. My loved one would be dead and no amount of bluster/lack of bluster would be bringing them back. But that's how I look at things and obviously has no bearing on whether this family thinks he's doing a stellar job.

I want justice for Travis and I personally like JM's style. I do not consider him "obnoxious, overwrought, or petulant" as you stated.

My main problem with JM is he fails to make some good, important arguments, and he also makes some bad arguments with his questioning (like that picture of Jodi's hand told us nothing about whether it was bent or not, or like that Jodi writing something assertive in her journal is an example of assertive behavior, especially when there are many better examples to use). He also sometimes focuses on points that aren't that important. But I still like him, he makes other arguments I wouldn't have thought of, and I do like his aggressiveness and scorn for witnesses like JA and RS who do have it coming. If I'm in the jury, I would appreciate that kind of righteous anger, like it's the sane reaction to have to the utter bs they're speaking.

Reading the Jodi Arias Guide to Dating. By Randy Stalker. Do yourself a favor kids at 99c on Kindle you can't go wrong!

Why do you care?

I LOVE liver. Most don't. I give a rat's azz if most don't. Each to their own. Live and let live.

Don't sweat what "others" think. JMO

It's good you are able to keep things in perspective. It's ok to not like the guy.

Thanks for being accepting MeeBee. I think a lot of people take my disdain for Juan and kind of neutral focus on the evidence as being "pro-Jodi."

I'm hittin' the hay. I may go down tomorrow if I can get away since I think this witness will be the make it or break it for the defense. But I have no interest in standing in line to get in -- so I may be out of luck. Not sure how crowded it is in there these days.

Totally agree with you.

Plus, the courtroom observers and the guests on the shows, who have been in the courtroom, ALL say it sounds louder on TV. They say he is not yelling in court. The observers in court have reported, he is simply a prosecutor with a passion, for obtaining justice for the victim. I would want him on my side any day!

It's a distinct difference on TV than in person. The witness stand is so far away you cant really see the nuances in witness's faces from the gallery but you get to see the jurors. Sometimes it's kind of hard to hear testimony in the courtroom...i've even had a hard time hearing Martinez at times! Sound is totally different and visuals are too. Of course the "energy" in the courtroom brings a different kind of energy and drama. And having to sit there expressionless while watching these horrible things.

Even when I sit in the courtroom I'm interested in seeing the coverage as from the "front" of the players you get an entirely different perspective. Janine Driver "got it" when he came to how Juan is less threatening in person and her take was you get to see just how short in stature he is...now if Nurmi had that aggressive demeanor with his size it would read totally different. I think JM is probably around 5'5".

There are times where I wish he would do things a little different, but everyone has their own style of course. I do hope his style doesnt turn off any jurors.

One of the things that bothers me the most about his style is when he ends up asking the same question 3 or 4 times in succession. It seems he will get an answer and then ends up asking the same exact question again. He did this with Jodi a lot and it was scary because he would get her to admit something, but then gave her another chance to change her answer.

But overall, I think he is getting everything accomplished so far. So long as he gets the verdict, I wont have a problem with it.

She only gave her credentials today. Is she even done with those? I'll hold out on an opinion until she starts testifying about the case.

I kind of had to eat my own crow today as I expected to despise her but honestly I liked her. I may not like how she comports herself in this case and what she tries to sell to the jury but as a person I think she's quite genuine and respectable and a breath of fresh air after Dr. <mod snip>. imo

From what I could tell, he sent her a generic card, kind of a "hope you are feeling better" type b/c JA was sad Nurmi was planning on leaving. It seems two cards were sent but I haven't heard much about the other one. The jurors are not suppose to know Nurmi wanted out to start his own private practice.

Is this one of the therapeutic cards that <modsnip> sent her to make her "feel better" but yet not considered "therapeutic"? Kinda like the self-help book?

considering that there is so much evidence towards murder 1-I am surprised anyone would think manslaughter of all things is in this case. I mean...pre-meditation is all in the fact that she wanted him dead and inflicted wounds to ensure he would die. I mean 29 times stabbing, slicing his throat, and shooting him is somehow accidental?

The death itself is not evidence of first degree murder. Just of murder. Manslaughter is murder. (well - maybe it's different in the US > but here - manslaughter (voluntary) is a provoked murder).

The prosecution presented several circumstances to support that the murder was planned, not spontaneous. It rests on believing whether or not JA brought the gun. As there is no evidence she did so (just a contention by the prosecution) - I'd be reluctant to find for 1st degree. But I'm pretty strong in the belief that a capital case needs to be held to a very high degree of proof.

Regardless - I'm not on the jury - so just sharing my ideas here - and reading others ideas.

And if discussing the experts and their opinion is best left to the talking heads...why are any of us bothering to discuss this here?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I actually said "hating and demeaning" - which should be quite different from "discussing". I'm a firm believer in discussion.

a rose is a rose is a rose....

crazy is crazy. I just cannot comprehend it...

Okay Radarluv - I am NOT succumbing to that gif!!! :floorlaugh:
Well... I, um... I... wait, no...

NO, a rose by any other name is NOT crazy. Oh carp - I just realized - you're doing Gertrude Stein and I'm doing Shakespeare (and never the twain shall meet! Except in my mind, they frequently do... hee.

There is so much more to this but cooler heads prevailed and I deleted all of it. :)

The death itself is not evidence of first degree murder. Just of murder. Manslaughter is murder. (well - maybe it's different in the US > but here - manslaughter (voluntary) is a provoked murder).

The prosecution presented several circumstances to support that the murder was planned, not spontaneous. It rests on believing whether or not JA brought the gun. As there is no evidence she did so (just a contention by the prosecution) - I'd be reluctant to find for 1st degree. But I'm pretty strong in the belief that a capital case needs to be held to a very high degree of proof.

Regardless - I'm not on the jury - so just sharing my ideas here - and reading others ideas.

I actually said "hating and demeaning" - which should be quite different from "discussing". I'm a firm believer in discussion.

OMG. Manslaughter is NOT murder. Let's start there.

Nevermind. Not worth it. This trial is in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16