trial day 38: the defense continues its case in chief #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think sequestriation is a bad idea. It breeds complacent jurors who just want to go home and they start making hasty and bad decisions. It's good they get to go home at night.

In this case its good or they may never see home again. I think thats what happened in CA trial. They just wanted the heck out of there.If they found her guilty they would have had to stay longer.

Good heavens, I'm catching up after another long work day. It seems that ALV's testimony has taken quite the turn during the day off, doesn't it?

Things are quite different, and Ms. LV doesn't look happy. Could it be that she got herself into a situation that she did not anticipate?
No, I think she DID know exactly what was going to happen, and she signed on anyway.
She spent many many, hours with not only Arias, but the DT.
Today was worse than yesterday, and if she stays true to her testimony, it's going to get worse when she lies about Travis being a pedo.
IMO the only reason she looked unhappy today was because Juan was limiting what she was saying - and if you listened, she spoke quickly AFTER Juan's objection, to get the testimony in regardless of the objection.

I also believe her "ninja story" is much closer to the truth than her current claim of self-defense. At least in the ninja story, if you remove the "female ninja" and insert JA, it is almost eerily similar to what the crime scene indicates. I can also envision Travis trying to escape from his attacker, by crawling on his hands and knees toward the bedroom. During the interrogation I noticed she said "four knees" which I interpreted to be "on all fours" or hands and knees.

MOO

This really upsets me. I just cannot fathom the pain he was in, and she also made a comment that Travis said, "I can't feel my legs."

I am quite confident he truly said that, and it really makes me sad.

I made the mistake of peeking at "that other site which shall be unnamed", (the one that I have been banned from), and I have decided that I really wish I was one of them, for one reason.

I want some of their hallucinating, mind numbing, alternate reality drugs that they all seem to consume.

The alternate reality that those goof balls are living in, must be quite a place.

The only person they haven't blamed yet is Elvis.

:hills::eek::doh:

A show of hands, who has been banned by JAII site?

Some statistics on domestic violence.....I know many of y'all feel that it is purposeful bias to refer to the victims as "she", but the overwhelming majority of DV victims ARE, in fact women.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/domestic_violence/resources/statistics.html

I mean, men also can get breast cancer, but most of the time breast cancer victims and survivors are referred to as "she".

Granted, only about 1% of breast cancer occurs in men as opposed to 3-7% of DV victims being men (depending on whether the assault is sexual, I assume, although the stats are broken down so specifically, it is hard to tell), but realistically, both are rare.

I am not saying that it isn't a problem or that it doesn't matter, I am saying I don't see overt bias in using feminine pronouns.

MOO

Holly, on HLN, just said JA was a "professional photogrator." Really, you have to go to school for that. The only thing JA was a professional was being a.......better not, I'll surely get a TO!

I wonder if ALV will fly home for the long weekend to spend the holiday weekend with her family. I hope they celebrate Easter, and the true meaning, and that ALV thinks hard about what she has already done, and what she plans to do.
She has worked long and hard for this worthy cause, and I just can't believe she's flushing her entire professional career down the drain over this THING. I despise her at this point.

I don't think she signed on for this at all, but once you are under subponea there is no going back.
:tos:

I think sequestriation is a bad idea. It breeds complacent jurors who just want to go home and they start making hasty and bad decisions. It's good they get to go home at night.

Totally agree. I cannot imagine what the jurors would be going through with all the delays, time off, etc. during this trial. Sequestration should ONLY be for a speedy trial, without delays, and preferably include Saturdays. At least these people can enjoy evenings at home, and this Easter weekend with their families.

MOO

I made the mistake of peeking at "that other site which shall be unnamed", (the one that I have been banned from), and I have decided that I really wish I was one of them, for one reason.

I want some of their hallucinating, mind numbing, alternate reality drugs that they all seem to consume.

The alternate reality that those goof balls are living in, must be quite a place.

They live in the alternative universe known as the 'Erroneous Zone' Dr. Samuels is their leader

I posted this earlier: Emails can be hearsay, it depends what is in them and what they are being used for. There are a ton of exceptions, including hearsay [per Rule 703] that underlies the basis for the expert witness's testimony (i.e. the emails and JA's reported "history" with TA). ALV can testify about this hearsay if it underlies her expert opinion, and its probative value outweighs the prejudicial effect. There was assuredly a pretrial motion about all of this, and the judge let it in.

Thanks for clarifying this again.

Nurmi is pissed because the cost of the trial was released, but grow up. This is the second time you have accused Mr. Juan of misconduct. All you have managed to do is piss a lot of people off and have sunk so low. The TH keep saying Mr. Juan is taken this trial personally but if I was accused twice of misconduct, I would be firing back. Nurmi may be a tall man in height but he can't measure up to Mr. Juan's integrity.

ALv today talked about physical discipline while JA was growing up and considered welts and wooden spoons excessive.

????

As a child in the 60's, we got the wooden spoon. I can remember getting jumpy when the drawer that held the wooden spoon was opened. IIRC, prevailing thought then preferred that over the direct contact of a hand?

I do think that it is important for this expert to put physical discipline within the context of prevailing thought at the time. Even schools in my childhood days meted out physical punishment, depending on the state.
1970's child here.
:seeya: Showing my hand!

I babysat kids born in the 80's. IMO it wasn't "common" but I saw it happen.
Mom's at the public pool with toddlers etc.
I think the big thing back then was a spanking was ok
with your own hand (so you too knew how hard you were hitting your child) and below the butt only?n~ never hard enough to leave a bruise.

When I graduated from nursing school in 88 they were still
using that as a "rule" for what was acceptable discipline.

By 1991 it had changed to timeouts as a standard....
and that is what we taught new parents.
We were trained that violence begets more violence.
Spankings just teach kids it's ok to hit if you are bigger.

Starting 9.30 as time :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! Well, this is good. Time to move this thing along. Four hours a day for four days a week is simply not good enough.

It's scary, no? :what:

However, I did note with a chuckle that they complain about the THs as much over there as we do here...AND they also hate JC. They call her pro-prosecution.

Those are the numbers from a National Institute of Justice study. The CDC has the percentage at 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls.

Here's from Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 27, Issue 1 , Pages 3-13, February 2013

Rape and sexual violence occur in all societies, and cut across all social classes. Prevalence estimates of rape victimisation range between 6 and 59% of women having experienced sexual abuse from their husbands or boyfriends in their lifetime. Two population-based studies from South Africa have found that 28% and 37% of men, respectively, have perpetrated rape. Estimates of rape perpetration from high-income countries seem to be lower than those from low- and middle-income countries; however, current data make it impossible to confirm this. Women and girls are much more likely to be the victims and men the perpetrators and, in most instances, the perpetrator is known to the victim. Children are particularly vulnerable to sexual abuse, with girls being at greater risk, especially while at school and at home. High rates of child sexual abuse are emerging from the research, with an increasing understanding of the effect of child sexual abuse on later perpetration and victimisation, highlighting the importance of primary prevention for sexual violence to address childhood exposures to violence. Much of our knowledge about sexual violence has historically been based on research undertaken in high-income countries. This, however, is changing with the emergence of good-quality studies from other settings, particularly in Africa, alongside an increasing number of multi-country studies looking at interpersonal and sexual violence. Most countries lack population data on perpetration of sexual violence, across all categories, including children, and a major gap exists in research on sexual violence among sub-groups and populations. Much of the existing research has limitations that affect cross-study comparability, owing to differences in definitions, research tools, methods and sampling used. Improved research is essential. Research priorities for understanding the magnitude of sexual violence prevalence include assessment of the prevalence and patterns of sexual violence victimisation and perpetration in a range of settings, across a range of acts of sexual violence, in men and women, in adults and children, using methodologies based on best practice in gender-based violence research and standard measures of different forms of sexual violence; research on the social context of sexual violence perpetration and victimisation by both men and women; and methodological research to measure sexual violence for particular population sub-groups or violence types, such as child perpetrators or young child victims, or sexual harassment at work and school.

Your previous post said 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 4 boys have been molested. Now you say 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 boys.... Which is it?
Are you Dr Samuels in disguise? I don't believe either stat...

And then you quote a range of 6-59 percent have experienced sexual abuse... That really narrows it down... and I won't even go into your South African numbers given the socioeconomic condition of the country.

If your post is to bolster Arias' claim of being a battered woman, where is the proof?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This really upsets me. I just cannot fathom the pain he was in, and she also made a comment that Travis said, "I can't feel my legs."

I am quite confident he truly said that, and it really makes me sad.

I do believe there is some truth in her many stories, and what she said closer to the time of the murder has more truth in it than anything she says now.

JA wanted a deal with the prosecution. She didn't get it and vowed to trash Travis in exchange. And that is exactly what she is doing. Everything she testified to during the trial is a lie. What she told Det. Flores is more "real".

MOO

The email jodi refers to her testimony that she is upset with TA for not giving her editing credit regarding his book. Does anyone have a linK or screen print?

Nurmi is pissed because the cost of the trial was released, but grow up. This is the second time you have accused Mr. Juan of misconduct. All you have managed to do is piss a lot of people off and have sunk so low. The TH keep saying Mr. Juan is taken this trial personally but if I was accused twice of misconduct, I would be firing back. Nurmi may be a tall man in height but he can't measure up to Mr. Juan's integrity.
Oh, more than twice!! He called wolf several times, and tried hard to get Juan off the case entirely. Check the court minutes.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/JOnamesearch.asp?casenumber=CR2008031021

1970's child here.
:seeya: Showing my hand!

I babysat kids born in the 80's. IMO it wasn't "common" but I saw it happen.
Mom's at the public pool with toddlers etc.
I think the big thing back then was a spanking was ok
with your own hand (so you too knew how hard you were hitting your child) and below the butt only?n~ never hard enough to leave a bruise.

When I graduated from nursing school in 88 they were still
using that as a "rule" for what was acceptable discipline.

By 1991 it had changed to timeouts as a standard....
and that is what we taught new parents.
We were trained that violence begets more violence.
Spankings just tech kids it's ok to hit if you are bigger.

My momma asked us to cut a switch for her to use. I remember once being so mad I dragged a huge limb up to the door. She looked at it and started laughing. She said "Honey I just want to whip you, not kill you."
I didnt't get a whippin that day:great:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member