trial day 48: REBUTTAL #147

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we know why JM asked ALV about getting her Master 10 years after her Bachelor's.

Also by ALV saying she doesn't understand differences between texting, IM's, etc. since her testimony was involved so much in the written word and how they were exchanged you would think she would have researched that before testifying. It's not hard to understand the basics.

And, again, she made a choice NOT to be tech savvy; an arrogant one at that. It's a mistake, I think, in this day and age.

People here keep referring to age. I don't think it's age per se. I think JW is focused on experience, which can be a function of age. But she is right, dr d has fewer years of experience, and when she went through the CV, it surprised me a little compared to the vast knowledge she displayed on direct. However, her academic/educational background and training seem very impressive, and she is current on the science /protocols behind evaluation. She also seems to have moved very (unusually) quickly into managerial/supervisory capacities, which is interesting.

She knows her stuff, and is very confident. But I'm surprised most others didn't notice a perceptible change in demeanor once Juan was done and JW got up to bat. I felt immediate vibes, like a "prickliness" from Dr d. Nothing like the flagrant and bizarre behavior of ALV, but a definite attitude, which is not the end of the world as she's still extremely credible. But I found that bit of attitude disappointing, and hope it's gone today, especially when they "get into it" on substantive issues (if JW can get to any).

Did no one else notice?
I did notice. BUT, she still did a fine job.

I agree but rewatching Dr.D testimony, what's she done is testify to the usual way things are done and who can perform certain tests and how they should be interpreted. I don't think you need a lot of experience to be able to do that. ALV didn't do any tests and Dr. Samuels with his masters degree wasn't even qualified to analyze the results of the tests he did.
Exactly

I agree. And I would like to hear from JM on re-direct: "Should a psychological evaluator be aware of and follow standard protocols immediately upon entering practice, or does it take 10, 20 or 35 or more years to learn and adhere to those standards?"

THIS would be a great question for JM to ask on re-direct!

I wonder what was going through JA's mind when Dr D said she gave JA the IQ test because she thought there might be a mental deficiency lol.

I'm a visual learner, i.e. I understand something I see far more than something I hear. So, if JM wanted to show the list of BPD indicators to the jury [great idea], why not provide a clear, enlarged list on the screen, rather than his teensy, cramped handwriting? Can all the jurors read his writing on the scene, because I couldn't?

Because it made DeMarte slow down and repeat these points. JM did the same thing when Samuels was testifying. The jurors had to make an effort to follow along with Juan. It's effective teaching. If the jury learns from the witness, they are more likely to use this knowledge when determining the verdict.

Not everyone who reads the DSM-IV is qualified to diagnose, but most people who read that stuff find themselves thinking, "Oh yeah, that is (or isn't) so and so to a T!"

I thought DD said that she worked with the mothers of the children who were abused.

Also, what the heck is the 'secret' written in the email displayed yesterday. Sorry if this has been answered before. TIA

(snip)
Lets hope JW don't spend the whole morning going over the CV. Get to the facts and lets go. I love how Juan had her on not even for a whole day and got all the things out that he did. It would be a bad move on the D if they kept on for the entire day today.

That's the problem. There are no indisputable or tangible issues to attack.
Psychology all comes down to cognitive testing, observation and opinion so we have to assume Juan would not use Dr D if she or her analyses had holes in it.
Interestingly enough what we DO have however is the theft of Dr D's laptop that contained her notes to this case though. Hmmmmm.

So what we'll see is JW desperate attempts at discrediting Dr D herself. Good luck with that because Juan Matinez is her automatic assurance and armor otherwise he would not have her up there.

Besides, JW is not nearly as sharp or effective as Juan so when there is issue, JW constantly needs to refer to her notes for bullet-point accusations. It comes off very disorganized and disingenuous! Not nearly as heartfelt as when Juan crosses. Juan prosecutes from the heart. This defense team defends from the page.

What is funny to me is that I don't see Dr. DeMarte as having lack of experience at all. Just because she got her doctrine in 2009, she began research back in 2004, almost 10 years ago.

Wilmott is a joke. I just watched the end of yesterday this morning as I was getting ready for work. DeMarte might have had slight 'tude but I don't blame her. They are so desperate and attacking her credentials and experience is going nowhere for them. The defense team is on Jodi's level of immaturity. It was amusing to watch.

Not "tude" IMHO, confidence and articulation. She stood her ground, and well done I might add. :rocker:

I'd like to see JW on the stand in that position............ :floorlaugh:

I'm trying to catch up... has Jacob Mefford really been added to the witness list? I think playing that near-death experience video of Travis would be brilliant. It humanizes him to see him alive, talking, especially that subject matter.

I still can't believe that was captured on video, with JA laying on him like a cat. God had a hand in that, for sure.

My cable company is trying to drive me insane. They built a new subdivision and for the last 3 days our service has been in and out while they connect all these new houses. Today, already it has been out 4 times. Do they not know this trial is going on and I need my cable:banghead:

People here keep referring to age. I don't think it's age per se. I think JW is focused on experience, which can be a function of age. But she is right, dr d has fewer years of experience, and when she went through the CV, it surprised me a little compared to the vast knowledge she displayed on direct. However, her academic/educational background and training seem very impressive, and she is current on the science /protocols behind evaluation. She also seems to have moved very (unusually) quickly into managerial/supervisory capacities, which is interesting.

She knows her stuff, and is very confident. But I'm surprised most others didn't notice a perceptible change in demeanor once Juan was done and JW got up to bat. I felt immediate vibes, like a "prickliness" from Dr d. Nothing like the flagrant and bizarre behavior of ALV, but a definite attitude, which is not the end of the world as she's still extremely credible. But I found that bit of attitude disappointing, and hope it's gone today, especially when they "get into it" on substantive issues (if JW can get to any).

Did no one else notice?

Did you not notice the condescending, flippant and rude tone JW took with Dr. D? I was furious at JW's minimizing Dr. D's credentials, her ridiculous comment about ALV getting her Master's in 1980--what was she trying to highlight? ALV being a dinosaur? Mission accomplished! ALV has no real credentials other than a Master's. Psychology is a terminal degree--meaning that real psychological work is conducted by PhDs. ALV was nothing more than a social worker. Dr. D. is far more experienced in the science of psychology and she has a hell of a lot more education.

JW uses this high pitched, mocking tones as she asks her questions. She used the same tone with the ME--and it was absurd. She actually asked an MD if he was "sure" the bullet went through the brain. He was astounded by her ridiculous attitude.

JW tries and fails to be JM. She's trying to tear her CV apart like JM did ALV's. The difference is that Dr. D. has an education and experience in clinical interviews, administering Psychological tests and interpretation & report writing. ALV didn't even bother to write a REPORT after 44 HOURS of visiting JA.

JMOO

Wouldn't experience come into play more in a therapist role? DD was never that for JA. She seemed to be acting as a "diagnostician" using established tests containing validity scales to detect lying and data provided directly by Jodi. The results were compared to "the norm" not as RS did to only those diagnosed with a mental issue. Where would experience make a difference at the results obtained? Did experience effect anything DD did or failed to do resulting in Jodi ranking above the scale in 7 of the 9 indicators of BPD? I'm not sure about the last stat.

I also wondered of these personality disorders would give the jury a reason NOT to give her death. Almost like an excuse. Not that I believe personality disorders in any way should excuse the offense of murder....but it did cross my mind.

Thoughts everyone?

I have wondered the same, but honestly, Juan is not going to leave the jury feeling sorry for Jodi, at all, by the time he completes his closing. He will leave the jury wanting to punish Jodi.

ok folks....don't all jump on me but Dr DeMarte seemed a little snarky to JW when cross began and they went through her CV. Seemed like the Dr's demeanor changed immediately. I think she needs to watch that. She seems like a real brainiac...you know, like Einstein!! JA did seem to me to very childlike over at the def table. Coloring maybe!!

IMO she came across less as a brainiac and more as an up-to-date educated professional who's responses flowed easily because they reflected matters she's familiar & comfortable with.

Snarky? I'll reserve that judgement until Dr. D asks, "Ms Wilmot, are you angry with me?" or "do you need a time out, Ms. Wilmot":fence:

I wonder what was going through JA's mind when Dr D said she gave JA the IQ test because she thought there might be a mental deficiency lol.

That was so epic. I couldn't believe my ears. :floorlaugh:

I was thinking about that as well. I really hope they don't start thinking, she is somehow damaged, so we can't give her the DP. I'm hoping JM can point out that it should not be considered. :twocents:

I would be more likely in this case to go towards the DP because of the personality disorder and other issues. The diagnosis helps me confirm she'd do it again, feels no remorse, and is so narcissistic that she will never contribute anything to society even from within prison walls. It will always be all about Jodi.

I can just picture ALV reading text messages from TA where he uses abbreviations like OMG, SMH, LMAO etc. and thinking "wow, he is so full of rage that he is 'typing in tongues'. Perhaps he is so angry he is just pounding random keys."

OMG this reminds me of a conversation my DD and I had last night. Something from Pinterest where it said that this young generation has never had the experience of SLAMMING the phone down in the cradle when you are mad.....all the younger kids can do is POKE THEIR PHONE WITH THEIR FINGER OVER AND OVER AGAIN.... :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I'm trying to catch up... has Jacob Mefford really been added to the witness list? I think playing that near-death experience video of Travis would be brilliant. It humanizes him to see him alive, talking, especially that subject matter.

I still can't believe that was captured on video, with JA laying on him like a cat. God had a hand in that, for sure.

I hope so too. I also want Ms. Mefford to relay the story about Jodi not leaving for 15 minutes after telling her she wasn't welcome in the Hughes' home.

Reallly far behind, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered in previous threads.

If she admits to being in Mesa,Az & openly admits to the killing, why not admit to the third gas can? Its like, in one breath she is saying I never went to Mesa because you cant prove I had three gas cans, yet in another she is saying she was the one who was at his house and murdered him?

I just don't get the logic, or the need to lie about something so trivial (I know, it's Jodi). She openly admits she was in Arizona and that she murdered him....

:abnormal:

She won't, because that is admitting premeditation. Premeditation doesn't fit with her "self defense" claim. :gavel:

I can just picture ALV reading text messages from TA where he uses abbreviations like OMG, SMH, LMAO etc. and thinking "wow, he is so full of rage that he is 'typing in tongues'. Perhaps he is so angry he is just pounding random keys."

:floorlaugh:

I wish we had got to hear all seven of the personality issues from the psych eval or got them on the screen like we did with Doc S's results. Bet those results are a fascinating read.
While most of us think that Jodi suffers from more than one mental disorder, there appears to be some confusion about the seven personality issues as it relates to Dr. DeMarte's testimony on Monday. Dr. D. said Jodi scored 65 or higher in seven of the nine symptoms typically found in people with BPD. Juan Martinez asked Dr. D to go through the BPD symptoms one by one. She'd name a symptom, he wrote it on a piece of paper that was displayed on the overhead/screens, the doctor would describe the symptom, Juan would ask if it applied to Jodi, the doctor said yes (or no) and if yes, provided concrete examples of how the symptom manifested itself in Jodi. Very effective and efficient technique. The two used the same approach to shred Dr. Samuels finding of PTSD. Using the test that Samuel's gave Jodi, Juan wrote down each symptom, the doctor gave a brief explanation and then examples of how Jodi's behavior didn't jive with the finding of PTSD. Also brilliant was the complete dismantling of the fog/memory issue.

Also thought it was interesting that Juan attempted to bring in something called adjustment disorder. Willmott objected and after a lengthy sidebar, we didn't hear anything more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatariMama