trial day 48: REBUTTAL #147

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pointing out that 32 years old IS very, very young for a testifying "expert." Most experts are at least in their 40's and usually in their 50's and older. The idea being that one is not an expert until they've had quite a bit of practical experience and become established in their field. I didn't watch the testimony yesterday, so this isn't a commentary on how this witness did, at all. Just sayin'...I'm seeing posters get onto the defense for pointing out her age and lack of practical experience, but that IS what makes one an expert -- among other things. Any defense in any case would do this and it would be justified since experience is something the jury should definitely consider in evaluating an expert's testimony. Imo, particularly in a highly interactive and subjective field such as psych. All jmo.
BBM

I hope you get an opportunity to watch her testimony. I think you will change your mind...

The difference in the intellectual level and objective evaluations (thoroughly explained) between this witness and the defense "experts" was profound.

Obviously her age has nothing to do with her competence and knowledge or ability to psychologically evaluate this defendant.

It was so on point I found myself saying "of course! That describes Jodi perfectly."

night and day difference from Alyce or Dr. Samuels

I would be more likely in this case to go towards the DP because of the personality disorder and other issues. The diagnosis helps me confirm she'd do it again, feels no remorse, and is so narcissistic that she will never contribute anything to society even from within prison walls. It will always be all about Jodi.

Good Point!

BBM

I hope you get an opportunity to watch her testimony. I think you will change your mind...

The difference in the intellectual level and objective evaluations (thoroughly explained) between this witness and the defense "experts" was profound.

Obviously her age has nothing to do with her competence and knowledge or ability to psychologically evaluate this defendant.

It was so on point I found myself saying "of course! That describes Jodi perfectly."

night and day difference from Alyce or Dr. Samuels

bbm ita. She also testified that she conducted interviews

Reallly far behind, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered in previous threads.

If she admits to being in Mesa,Az & openly admits to the killing, why not admit to the third gas can? Its like, in one breath she is saying I never went to Mesa because you cant prove I had three gas cans, yet in another she is saying she was the one who was at his house and murdered him?

I just don't get the logic, or the need to lie about something so trivial (I know, it's Jodi). She openly admits she was in Arizona and that she murdered him....

:abnormal:

Because she says she didn't "plan" to murder him, and the third gas can speaks to "planning" to get in and out of AZ undetected.

Just pointing out that 32 years old IS very, very young for a testifying "expert." Most experts are at least in their 40's and usually in their 50's and older. The idea being that one is not an expert until they've had quite a bit of practical experience and become established in their field. I didn't watch the testimony yesterday, so this isn't a commentary on how this witness did, at all. Just sayin'...I'm seeing posters get onto the defense for pointing out her age and lack of practical experience, but that IS what makes one an expert -- among other things. Any defense in any case would do this and it would be justified since experience is something the jury should definitely consider in evaluating an expert's testimony. Imo, particularly in a highly interactive and subjective field such as psych. All jmo.

I think we can all agree that we look at Jodi and see what we see which is not a DV victim. I do not think the jury even needs an expert to prove that Jodi was the abuser. I believe this expert has a much better handle on evaluating Jodi because of the fact she has spent time with inmates and her knowledge in her field is still fresh and not tainted by life experiences. ALV had some serious baggage, along with Dr. Samuels appearing to have some baggage, too. Look at the difference in going through her experience with Juan and this direct. Less than a day. Then look at ALV and how long JW took to question her. ALV has a lot of experience and knowledge but she clearly was biased in her evaluation of Jodi. Jodi played to her and ALV bought it. I think if ALV is looking at all the evidence now after her testimony she probably feels used by the defense pretty much the same way the Hughes feel at this point. jmo

Did you not notice the condescending, flippant and rude tone JW took with Dr. D? I was furious at JW's minimizing Dr. D's credentials, her ridiculous comment about ALV getting her Master's in 1980--what was she trying to highlight? ALV being a dinosaur? Mission accomplished! ALV has no real credentials other than a Master's. Psychology is a terminal degree--meaning that real psychological work is conducted by PhDs. ALV was nothing more than a social worker. Dr. D. is far more experienced in the science of psychology and she has a hell of a lot more education.

JW uses this high pitched, mocking tones as she asks her questions. She used the same tone with the ME--and it was absurd. She actually asked an MD if he was "sure" the bullet went through the brain. He was astounded by her ridiculous attitude.

JW tries and fails to be JM. She's trying to tear her CV apart like JM did ALV's. The difference is that Dr. D. has an education and experience in clinical interviews, administering Psychological tests and interpretation & report writing. ALV didn't even bother to write a REPORT after 44 HOURS of visiting JA.

JMOO

:clap::goodpost:

I can just picture ALV reading text messages from TA where he uses abbreviations like OMG, SMH, LMAO etc. and thinking "wow, he is so full of rage that he is 'typing in tongues'. Perhaps he is so angry he is just pounding random keys."

Perhaps a new book: "The Language of Abuse (Deciphering Concealed Rage)"

I wish we had got to hear all seven of the personality issues from the psych eval or got them on the screen like we did with Doc S's results. Bet those results are a fascinating read.

I agree. We've all wanted to know what makes JA tick. If I had to choose between knowing about the closed ALV hearing and reading DrD's full report it would be a toss up. LOL

I thought the exact same thing. But then I listened to this brilliant young woman, and putting her next to the two defense experts, IMHO, is like night and day DESPITE the fact that she is young and relatively new to her career.

I agree. Dr. D seems to take seriously the scientific requirements of her field, and professionally conducts her assessments and evaluations as they should be done, with the appropriate controls and objectivity.

And more experience doesn't always mean better either. Both ALV and RS have become lax and sloppy. Their evaluations were more or less meaningless, imo.

I can just picture ALV reading text messages from TA where he uses abbreviations like OMG, SMH, LMAO etc. and thinking "wow, he is so full of rage that he is 'typing in tongues'. Perhaps he is so angry he is just pounding random keys."

This would be ALV for a while.. my mom too

SMS-Mom-gets-a-new-iPhone.jpg

funny-text-message-iPhone-mom-question.jpg

I LOVE your honest descriptions of your kids! I used to teach Advanced Placement Language Arts/Literature and most of my students had IQs far superior to JAs; even so, probably only one or two were what I considered true intellectual geniuses( the type who would die before joining MENSA!) TRUE brilliance does not advertise itself; it just is. My oldest son, 24, is in grad school on full academic scholarship, has stacks of academic awards, and has always (diagnostically) tested w/in the "Gifted" range. However, he is shy to the point of being antisocial, indifferent to others' needs and very immature in his relationships with women. He is no JA- he wants to connect with people more and sometimes tries, but really, he's happiest in very small (tiny!) social circles; people and parties exhaust him. He suffers from depression and insomnia but he will still probably manage in life because of his intense focus on higher education. My other son is 14, hates school, artistically gifted and a born leader. He has tons of male and female friends and can "read" people in a split second. At 14, he understands and relates to women better than his big brother. He makes people want to hang around him. His IQ is average to a bit above-average but he has the social skills of a much older person. He loves life while his brother worries and *****es about everything. He, imo, will always be happier than his "brilliant" brother, and possibly more successful as well. Interesting that JA has no clue that many extremely gifted people suffer from a variety of mental health issues and socialization deficits. Not all, but it's there. She thought classifying herself as a genius meant that she was some sort of superman or goddess, wallowing in her own perfection. Because she has absolutely no, none, zero concept of true "genius."

:goodpost: Your 2 sons sound exactly like my 2 sons.

BBM She's no Einstein, that's for sure.

bbm ita. She also testified that she conducted interviews

Did you notice the look on Jodi's face as she tried to stare this woman down? I wonder if the jury can see the look in Jodi's eyes. It was chilling. Perfect example of the saying: "If looks could kill."

Oh WOW! I didn't connect Juan's comment to the alleged ALV jerk incident. I didn't think she said 'jerk,' I thought she just moved her mouth.

Is that why he used that word yesterday? If so, very clever!!

I thought it was her mouth moving, too. She has this thing where it looked like she made movements of her lips around her 2 front teeth because they stuck out from the rest of her teeth. She did it a lot.

I thought DD said that she worked with the mothers of the children who were abused.

Also, what the heck is the 'secret' written in the email displayed yesterday. Sorry if this has been answered before. TIA

I took that to refer to the movie, "The Secret."
Law of attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Secret (2006) was a film based on the law of attraction. It was then developed into a book of the same title in 2007. The movie and book gained widespread attention in the media, from such diverse outlets as Saturday Night Live to The Oprah Winfrey Show in the United States;[1] Winfrey devoted two episodes of her show to discussing the film and the law of attraction,[3][4] talk show host Larry King also discussed it on his show with Bob Solis, but criticized it for several reasons. He pointed to the sufferings in the world and asked: "If the Universe manifests abundance at a mere thought, why is there so much poverty, starvation, and death?"

You're absolutely correct.

For those who want to see, start at 39:20 at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPW7ks8VnE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnN4ZxVAFoGrg-EhoRxhtTA

Oh my gosh. I didn't believe even she could have the audacity to do something like that but she is clearly mouthing the word 'jerk'. She is not only incompetent, ignorant and biased but she seems to have quite a bit of anger in her. Like JA.

I really pity her clients aka victims.

People here keep referring to age. I don't think it's age per se. I think JW is focused on experience, which can be a function of age. But she is right, dr d has fewer years of experience, and when she went through the CV, it surprised me a little compared to the vast knowledge she displayed on direct. However, her academic/educational background and training seem very impressive, and she is current on the science /protocols behind evaluation. She also seems to have moved very (unusually) quickly into managerial/supervisory capacities, which is interesting.

She knows her stuff, and is very confident. But I'm surprised most others didn't notice a perceptible change in demeanor once Juan was done and JW got up to bat. I felt immediate vibes, like a "prickliness" from Dr d. Nothing like the flagrant and bizarre behavior of ALV, but a definite attitude, which is not the end of the world as she's still extremely credible. But I found that bit of attitude disappointing, and hope it's gone today, especially when they "get into it" on substantive issues (if JW can get to any).

Did no one else notice?

I noticed she was confident and was responding appropriately to someone who was basically calling her an infant in the psychology field. Just because she's been a psychologist for a shorter amount of time than others doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's doing. She seemed more than capable.

After the way ALV spoke to JM, I cut her some slack in her demeanor toward JW and I think the jury will do the same. She spoke the truth, something ALV nor Samuels did much of. JW came across as pi$$ed at the fact that someone had finally nailed down the facts when it comes to JA's behavior and what she did and didn't do and it came out in her tone and questioning. Very off-putting. :twocents:

LOL, that was me not to very long ago. We got my mom, (70's) a smart phone. She almost had a heart attach. We had to take it back and get her a flip phone. She tries to text but we end up calling her to see what she is trying to tell us.

That was me when I started to text on my phone. lol I had to get my granddaughter to show me how to space. Then we had a short class on taking pictures via the phone and sending them. I never use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatariMama