Trial Delayed until at least January

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Jason will take the stand this time, but one question I wish the prosecution had asked is: what exactly is the story about the fax? ... or ... How did one big toe get bruised? I'd like to hear again how he got lost in the mounains and arrived late at his meeting, whether he stopped anywhere for gas.

It was such a lost opportunity for the prosecution that they forgot to ask the right questions ... she seemed so emotionally invested that she lost objectivity and failed to ask the questions that police had presumably waited years to ask. Investigators claimed that Jason could not be cleared because he wouldn't talk to them ... there he was, sworn to tell the truth and there was hardly one relevant question.

I'd like to know how many miles per gallon his car had and see it mapped to the gas station where the attendant claimed to recognize Jason ... visuals with the formula for calculating no. miles given the size of the gas tank and miles per gallon. That would keep it simple for visual thinkers.

She struck me as a woman who sits high on her own morality horse and she thought jurors would view bad behavior as evidence of murder rather than wanting real evidence of things like opportunity.

I think she was utterly unprepared for Jason's testimony. Her entire strategy seemed to be built around a "bad boy's silence=guilty" theory. Even with Jason's testimony, this may have actually worked if he had been in Raleigh at the time of the murder. The time and gas such a long trip would require remains the elephant in the room.

JMO

She struck me as a woman who sits high on her own morality horse and she thought jurors would view bad behavior as evidence of murder rather than wanting real evidence of things like opportunity.

I think she was utterly unprepared for Jason's testimony. Her entire strategy seemed to be built around a "bad boy's silence=guilty" theory. Even with Jason's testimony, this may have actually worked if he had been in Raleigh at the time of the murder. The time and gas such a long trip would require remains the elephant in the room.

JMO

It seems that the best time for the trip is about 2h40m and a routine time would be about 3h. Twice that means 5h20m - 6h round trip. He was seen at midnight and the theory is that he tilted the camera at 6:38 AM, so we have 6h38m total available time and between 38m and 1h18m for Jason to murder, shower, change, wear two different pairs of shoes, clean up his daughter, drug his daughter, tuck her in and put her to sleep and stop for gas (if the gas attendant testimony is true). That's a very tight timeline. I wonder if that's one reason that the prosecution did not provide a map and timeline to the jury ... because it appears to be such a tight timeline that if anything unexpected happened, he couldn't have done it ... and ... because it's a bit of a stretch to believe all of that may have happened in 38 minutes.

It seems that the best time for the trip is about 2h40m and a routine time would be about 3h. Twice that means 5h20m - 6h round trip. He was seen at midnight and the theory is that he tilted the camera at 6:38 AM, so we have 6h38m total available time and between 38m and 1h18m for Jason to murder, shower, change, wear two different pairs of shoes, clean up his daughter, drug his daughter, tuck her in and put her to sleep and stop for gas (if the gas attendant testimony is true). That's a very tight timeline. I wonder if that's one reason that the prosecution did not provide a map and timeline to the jury ... because it appears to be such a tight timeline that if anything unexpected happened, he couldn't have done it ... and ... because it's a bit of a stretch to believe all of that may have happened in 38 minutes.

it is not a "very tight' timeline.
He had at least an hour in the house (probably planned 15 minutes)

I drove door to door in 2 hours and 25 Minutes.....late afternoon.
I never exceeded +10 over limit.
3 hours is pure hogwash, especially after midnight.

I bet JLY made better time on his trip down. He needed to get there quickly and if he was stopped for speeding, he could abort.

Mybelle....there is one thing I agree with you on.
Ms Holt was unprepared and did a poor job for the people of NC prosecuting this murderer.
IMO, she was the reason for the mistrial. Yes, she botched the very powerful evidence and failed miserably to connect the dots for the jury.
It could have been soooo easy.

it is not a "very tight' timeline.
He had at least an hour in the house (probably planned 15 minutes)

I drove door to door in 2 hours and 25 Minutes.....late afternoon.
I never exceeded +10 over limit.
3 hours is pure hogwash, especially after midnight.

I bet JLY made better time on his trip down. He needed to get there quickly and if he was stopped for speeding, he could abort.

According to others that live in the area, they estimate between 2h40m and 3h.

If he was caught speeding on the return trip, his goose was cooked, so I very much doubt that he would risk speeding.

Mybelle....there is one thing I agree with you on.
Ms Holt was unprepared and did a poor job for the people of NC prosecuting this murderer.
IMO, she was the reason for the mistrial. Yes, she botched the very powerful evidence and failed miserably to connect the dots for the jury.
It could have been soooo easy.

I suspect that jurors in the first trial had problems with the gas story, the extra shoe prints, the suggestion that they could find him guilty of acting with another but no evidence of any other person being involved ... and that unexplained DNA on the medicine and jewelry box. I see it as a problem with evidence, not a problem with the prosecutor.

If he was caught speeding on the return trip, his goose was cooked, so I very much doubt that he would risk speeding.

Others that live in the area? Huh?
Did they drive from the Hillsville Hampton to Birchleaf?
I did....so my time is not per MapQuest or a guess...it was 2 hours and 25 Min

I never said he was speeding on the return trip..

I suspect that jurors in the first trial had problems with the gas story, the extra shoe prints, the suggestion that they could find him guilty of acting with another but no evidence of any other person being involved ... and that unexplained DNA on the medicine and jewelry box. I see it as a problem with evidence, not a problem with the prosecutor.

The prosecutor could have easily presented a much better argument / rebuttal to the defense 'reasonable doubt'.....I know I could have.
That said, it was the prosecution, imo

Others that live in the area? Huh?
Did they drive from the Hillsville Hampton to Birchleaf?
I did....so my time is not per MapQuest or a guess...it was 2 hours and 25 Min

I never said he was speeding on the return trip..

I understand that your time was 2h25m never going over the speed limit, resulting in 4h50m round trip from door to door. I also understand that you are of the opinion that Jason is guilty. This position results in potentially interpretting the evidence with a view to imply guilt. For example, "light colored vehicles" is translated into "white" vehicle. Not speeding may be 5 miles over the speed limit or maybe not, but there is a possibility that reducing the time supports the argument that he is guilty. Someone that is unsure of guilty may place the time closer to 2h40m or 3h.

I understand that your time was 2h25m never going over the speed limit, resulting in 4h50m round trip from door to door. I also understand that you are of the opinion that Jason is guilty. This position results in potentially interpretting the evidence with a view to imply guilt. For example, "light colored vehicles" is translated into "white" vehicle. Not speeding may be 5 miles over the speed limit or maybe not, but there is a possibility that reducing the time supports the argument that he is guilty. Someone that is unsure of guilty may place the time closer to 2h40m or 3h.

No, I said I went no more than 10 over.
Most of the trip was 65MPH interstate

JLY had a documented history of speeding violations (5 we know of, several >80MPH).

It makes no difference that I know he is guilty.
Split the difference and say 2 hours / 40 minutes.
That gave him at least 45 minutes in the home...assuming the speed limit driving back, arriving in King at 5:27AM.

The timeline works. It's not leisurely, but yes it did allow him enough time to do what he did. The timeline places him exactly where he was witnessed, both at the house (his SUV) and later at the gas station, at the times others corroborated.

Sure hope the state doesn't fubar it this round.

I think the timeline is even tighter because of the hotel clerk's testimony that the rock was removed from the door prior to 5 AM. Whatever happened to the camera after that is meaningless, plus the prints they lifted from it didn't belong to Jason Young. Any map or printed timeline would result in the jurors realizing just how impossible it was. Next trial, I expect the defense will provide it.

JMO

ITA. Nor would a killer risk being seen on security cameras when stopping for gas, whether paying inside or out.

JMO

I absolutely agree with you. And I think the next jury will, too, if it gets that far. The defense may ask for a verdict after the prosecution rests and I don't know how the Judge could refuse. More compelling evidence is needed.

JMO

I think the timeline is even tighter because of the hotel clerk's testimony that the rock was removed from the door prior to 5 AM. Whatever happened to the camera after that is meaningless, plus the prints they lifted from it didn't belong to Jason Young. Any map or printed timeline would result in the jurors realizing just how impossible it was. Next trial, I expect the defense will provide it.

JMO

MyBelle, your post makes zero sense, sorry.
You have the facts totally botched.

The rock was removed at 5:50AM...same time the camera was plugged back in....not "prior to 5"
There was DNA, not prints on the camera...just wait, cause that DNA will end up being Elmer's.

Why would you say the camera being pushed up at 6:35AM is "meaningless'?

Never mind, I just realized responding to your post is, well....:banghead:

ITA. Nor would a killer risk being seen on security cameras when stopping for gas, whether paying inside or out.

JMO

Well, when you have 1/2 gallon in the tank, there are not too many options :floorlaugh:

Actually, the USA Today paper he picked up at midnight was the Friday-weekend edition (assume just delivered to hotel). Never the less, the point of your argument is valid, as he was a confirmed internet addict. He blundered by specifically saying he wanted to check scores...defies logic.

I've been reading back through the posts on this thread, and something caught my attention about the USA Today found in the back of JY's SUV.

I looked at the photos of JY's SUV taken after LE impounded it for evidence. One of the photos shows the copy of the USA Today that JY picked up at the front desk at midnight in the back of his SUV . This was the paper that he was going to take outside and check sports scores while smoking a cigar. This link shows the photo of the newspaper in JY's SUV.

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/image_gallery/9760559/

I went to the USA Today website and looked up the article "Delays Loom in Counting Ballots" that is on the front page of that copy of USA Today. It says that it was in the November 2, 2006 edition; therefore, JY did use a newspaper that was about 24 hours old to check current sport scores. This link shows the article and date in question.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-02-counting-ballot-delays_x.htm

Again, JY is busted! No one would use a day-old newspaper to check sports scores especially when he could access up-to-date scores on his computer, which he had just been using.

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9709817/#/vid9709817

Keith Hicks' testimony he removed the rock from the door "between 3:30 and 4" AM. I find him credible.

His response is to the prosecutor's question as to when he removed the rock from the door. He also testified he did not retain the rock. Which makes both the subsequent DNA testing on some random rock as well as the video camera tampering useless red herrings the assistant DAs threw at the jury. If their goal was to insult the jury's intelligence, I'd say they scored with eight jurors as well as any intelligent members of the public.

JMO

I've been reading back through the posts on this thread, and something caught my attention about the USA Today found in the back of JY's SUV.

I looked at the photos of JY's SUV taken after LE impounded it for evidence. One of the photos shows the copy of the USA Today that JY picked up at the front desk at midnight in the back of his SUV . This was the paper that he was going to take outside and check sports scores while smoking a cigar. This link shows the photo of the newspaper in JY's SUV.

I went to the USA Today website and looked up the article "Delays Loom in Counting Ballots" that is on the front page of that copy of USA Today. It says that it was in the November 2, 2006 edition; therefore, JY did use a newspaper that was about 24 hours old to check current sport scores. This link shows the article and date in question.

Again, JY is busted! No one would use a day-old newspaper to check sports scores especially when he could access up-to-date scores on his computer, which he had just been using.

Good catch!! Please get this info to the DA's office next week.

BBM. I don't know anyone who would check any newspaper for scores of a game that hasn't ended.

The games in the USA were already over. Whether the paper was that day's or the day before, the final score of the game would not change.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member