Trial Discussion Thread #14 - 14.03.28, Day 16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the contrary, the Stipps' evidence is very beneficial to the defense because both Stipps heard the gunshots at 3:00 -3:10 ish and they also heard the cricket bat hitting the door at 3:17 like all the other witnesses.

The problem with your theory is that not one witness testified to hearing a cricket bat hit the door.

The evidence presented by the prosecution's expert was that the wood was ripped out of the door after the shots, not that the bat hit the door after the shots. The witness was very clear that the bat could have been used to hit the door to scare the victim.

The problem with your theory is that not one witness testified to hearing a cricket bat hit the door.

The evidence presented by the prosecution's expert was that the wood was ripped out of the door after the shots, not that the bat hit the door after the shots. The witness was very clear that the bat could have been used to hit the door to scare the victim.

The witness was very clear that the state's hypothetical is a possibility? That's not exactly hard evidence...

And the bat guy didn't seem very knowledgable or trustworthy. I wouldn't hang my hat on his testimony.

I'll be disappointed, although Nell had made a point of making sure the judge knew how to review that evidence.

I'm thinking it was probably a twitter app or her email app that was left open. Something she was viewing before bed and failed to close out.

:goodpost: :loveyou:

Dang! It was dark....before 1st quarter. Lol!

Well maybe the moon wasn't the brightest but I'd like to see all those pics that were taken at night showing the street lights and whether any of them would provide illumination for either the bedroom or the bath/toilet rooms. I know there's a street light just outside our home that we need to close our bedroom curtains for to be able to sleep, but does make needing the toilet light unnecessary for the most part.

Recipes for all those yummy treats at the beginning of these threads? :)

Lol, I'm sure we'll find something to talk about ;)

I'm glad that most of us can agree without taking things personally or without hostility. I hope that once we find each other on other boards we can continue being friends! It's making miss the JA for the simple fact that 99% of the posters there are in total agreement on the killer's guilt. Haha

The witness was very clear that the state's hypothetical is a possibility? That's not exactly hard evidence...

And the bat guy didn't seem very knowledgable or trustworthy. I wouldn't hang my hat on his testimony.

The collective testimony of all 5 ear-witnesses was as follows:

• Man and woman arguing,
  • Bangs
  • Woman screaming,
  • Woman's screaming climaxing in terror, followed immediately by
  • Bangs
  • Silence

The collective physical evidence is:

• 4 gunshots through toilet door,
  • 3 shots hit Reeva,
  • Cricket bat hit door,
  • Wood panels were ripped out of door after shots.

Killer is asking judge to believe:

• All 5 witnesses who heard a woman scream/argue are wrong
  • Witnesses heard killer screaming like a woman
  • All 5 witnesses are wrong about hearing gunshots.

Killer is asking judge to believe that the killer shot and killed a woman in his bathroom, then replicated the exact sounds of a woman being attacked and shot to death.

The reason the woman presiding over the case is called a Judge is because she gets to use her judgment and decide if a) a reasonable person would fear for his life when hearing his bed mate go pee, b) if a proportional response to hearing somebody pee in the next room is shooting them dead four times., and c) if the killer is lying about his story to keep from being convicted.

Evidence presented to suggest killer may be lying and will be asked to explain:

• blood on wall behind bed
  • blood on duvet
  • projectile hole in bedroom door
  • broken bedroom door
  • dent on tub
  • blood on watches
  • failing to tell security he shot Reeva
  • failing at any time to call police
  • failing to consider Reeva might have been using the bathroom
  • claiming to be aggressor and move into the bathroom
  • claiming to be aggressor and shoot at somebody in toilet stall
  • cell phone internet access at 1:48 am
  • Food ingested by Reeva an hour or so prior to shooting
  • text messages contradicting killer's portrayal of relationship
  • killer's history of irresponsible use of guns
  • killer's history of disrespecting authorities
  • killer's failure to use cell phone to call for help while killer claims to be screaming out the door for help
  • killer's claim that he was trapped inside his own bedroom from which he left after killing
  • killer's claim he felt vulnerable holding a loaded 9 mm gun
  • killer's claim he didn't see Reeva missing from the bed until after he shot her
  • killer's claim that he hit the toilet door with the cricket bat after he put on his prosthetics
  • killer's claim that he called out to phantom intruder to leave his house when intruder was trapped in the bathrooom
  • killer's claim he told Reeva to call police when in fact killer himself never called police after killing Reeva
  • killer's claim he had to sleep on a particular side of the bed because of a shoulder injury
  • killer's claim that he knew Reeva was in love with him and couldn't be happier
  • killer's claim that he woke up at 3:00 am and moved two fans into his bedroom
  • killer's claim he spoke to Reeva shortly before moving the fans into the bedroom
  • killer's reason for calling property manager instead of police or ambulance service
  • killer's reason for calling security but not speaking
  • killer's reason for answering call from security and not telling security he shot Reeva
  • killer's reason for going to open front door while leaving Reeva upstairs bleeding
  • killer's claim that Reeva died in his arms 10-15 minutes after he shot her in the head
  • killer's explanation for why this night was different from the dozens of other nights people who shared his bed got up to pee
  • killer's explanation for why he felt trapped in his own bedroom when clearly he had the ability to leave the room
  • killer's reason for why he had the tantrum Reeva referred to in her text message
  • killer's explanation for why bedroom door was damaged
  • killer's explanation for why his prosthetic leg was damaged
  • killer's explanation for additional bruises found on Reeva's body
  • killer's explanation for his order for a stockpile of additional weapons and ammo
  • killer's explanation of event that Reeva referred to on the text message that she was trying to console him about
  • killer's explanation for what Reeva was doing while he was watching *advertiser censored* on his iPad
  • killer's explanation for why iPads were synced
  • killer's explanation for what he told Netcare
  • killer's explanation for why he shot the gun out of the sun roof of car
  • killer's explanation for why he discharged gun in a restaurant and asked friend to take the blame
  • killer's explanation for why he didn't check the bed to make sure it wasn't Reeva in the bathrrom
  • killer's explanation for why he didn't ask the person in the toilet if it was Reeva instead of telling person in the toilet stall to leave his house
  • killer's explanation for the moment he decided to kill the person in the toilet stall
  • killer's explanation for report that he scored in a rugby match after his prosthetics were ripped off by a defender
  • killer's reason for having possession of illegal ammo
  • killer's explanation for broken window
  • killer's explanation for jean on ground below bathroom window
  • killer's explanation for why he slept with doors to the deck open if he feared intruders
  • killer's explanation for why he saw ladders outside, knew ladders might be able to reach his deck, and yet did nothing to secure the ladders or secure his deck
  • killer's explanation for the alleged times he was victimized by criminals and why he never reported these crimes
  • killer's explanation for why his sister retrieved a watch from the bedroom the morning of the shooting

Yes, if killer can explain all these things and have the judge think he's being truthful, he may not get convicted of premeditated murder and only be convicted of murder.

OP hears the bathroom window slide open. This sound on its own sends him into a terrified and fearful state and he immediately grabs his gun, charges at the bathroom, where he then hears a noise in the toilet, which prompts him to fire four shots through the door and kill Reeva. But he hears nothing in between those noises. He doesn't hear the 'intruder' climbing through the window or the 'intruder' land on the floor. He doesn't hear Reeva scream either, but that's beside the point - he hears only the window slide open (someone entering) and a noise in the toilet (someone entered) but he doesn't hear how they entered? I doubt that could have been done in total silence.

My comment said nothing about bat or gun sounds, quote: "The screams they heard lasted for nearly 20 minutes, almost without interruption..."

So it is funny that you would reply to that by adding your opinion that there were definitely gunshots at 3:00 and definitely bat strikes at 3:17.

The screaming did not stop until 3:17. The screaming stopped when Reeva died. The gunshots were at 3:17. Unless of course one believes that Oscar had a good long almost 20 minute screaming session with himself before he finally stopped to call anyone on the phone. :facepalm:

I cannot explain three shots twice but can you let me know how was it established with certainty that there were shots first and bat banging second? If the defence claims that both sound the same, there could have been easily banging on the door first and shots second.

In addition, I could not believe that the defence during such a trial would use a Youtube test as a demonstration of the fact that gun shots can be perceived the same as cricket bat bangs! Was the defence lawyer just toying with the witness? I hope they will show a proper sound test, which should be done under the same or very close to the conditions at the time of the killing ie inside a house (concrete, brick, wood? walls), open or closed windows, same background noises, same distance, location, obstacles, etc. and proper sound measuring device undertaken by a sound expert.

Lol, I'm sure we'll find something to talk about ;)

I'm glad that most of us can agree without taking things personally or without hostility. I hope that once we find each other on other boards we can continue being friends! It's making miss the JA for the simple fact that 99% of the posters there are in total agreement on the killer's guilt. Haha

Re: JA And what a load of questions, answers and information the defense of JA presented. Juan took them and ran with it and new questions, same questions over and over. He rehashed all kinds of evidence and it was astonishing. Hope it happens this time just because the defense BR can try to change someone's testimony doesn't mean it worked. A fair trial is a fair trial and OP needs to splain himself lol. A woman is dead because he has fears. Oh and a gun!

I cannot explain three shots twice but can you let me know how was it established with certainty that there were shots first and bat banging second? If the defence claims that both sound the same, there could have been easily banging on the door first and shots second.

In addition, I could not believe that the defence during such a trial would use a Youtube test as a demonstration of the fact that gun shots can be perceived the same as cricket bat bangs! Was the defence lawyer just toying with the witness? I hope they will show a proper sound test, which should be done under the same or very close to the conditions at the time of the killing ie inside a house (concrete, brick, wood? walls), open or closed windows, same background noises, same distance, location, obstacles, etc. and proper sound measuring device undertaken by a sound expert.

BBM: i wonder if he will come up with a Youtube video of a man screaming like a woman :floorlaugh:

I'll try.

1) Batman determined that the shots came first, his determination of that was based on the fact that one of the sections of the door that were removed by OP tore through a bullet hole; but his interpretation is minute and does not take in to consideration other facts.
2) Batman determined that the two actual bat strikes were superficial, not strong enough to bash down the door. The removal of the panels was therefore done by OP, by hand, not using the bat.
3) Batman explained that OP inserted the tip of the bat in to a divot or defect that he had made and pried the slender long piece of panel loose.
4) So you have to understand at this point the OP did not bash in the door with the bat. He struck the door twice leaving superficial damage.
5) Nel asked Batman whether or not the superficial damage was consistent with OP banging on the door to "threaten" Reeva, and he resonded affirmatively, yes.

So at this point you should follow that OP struck the door twice to threaten Reeva. Later he murdered her. Following that he pried the door panels loose with the bat and his hands and tore them out.

Going to the sounds.

1) Remember that the bedroom doors were barged beaten through, barged though as well. You need to look at the photos of the bedroom doors. Reeva was on the inside, OP on the outside. There is even a hole that was made by Reeva firing the air gun at OP as he was trying to get at her when she locked him out of the bedroom, and OPs legs look like they went to war on those bedroom doors.
2) Once OP broke though the bedroom doors Reeva fled to the bathroom and locked herself in the safety of the water closet.
3) There is significant damage inside the bathroom. This is most likely where the first set of "shots" were produced. Bashing all of the bathroom with a bat sounded like gunshots to the neighbors.
4) A great deal of time went by, and Reeva was screaming and OP was yelling and mocking.
5) Then there were the gunshots, the second set of bangs; those ended Reevas life.

It is late for me, perhaps I could have written and explained this better or maybe not, but I hope that you follow.

Best!

• Man and woman arguing,
  • Bangs
  • Woman screaming,
  • Bangs
  • Silence

• 3 shots hit Reeva,
  • Cricket bat hit door,

Killer is asking judge to believe that the killer shot and killed a woman in his bathroom, then replicated the exact sounds of a woman being attacked and shot to death.

The reason the woman presiding over the case is called a Judge is because she gets to use her judgment and decide if a) a reasonable person would fear for his life when hearing his bed mate go pee, b) if a proportional response to hearing somebody pee in the next room is shooting them dead four times., and c) if the killer is lying about his story to keep from being convicted.

• blood on duvet
  • broken bedroom door
  • dent on tub
  • blood on watches
  • killer's failure to use cell phone to call for help while killer claims to be screaming out the door for help
  • killer's claim that he was trapped inside his own bedroom from which he left after killing
  • killer's claim he didn't see Reeva missing from the bed until after he shot her
  • killer's claim that he hit the toilet door with the cricket bat after he put on his prosthetics
  • killer's claim that he called out to phantom intruder to leave his house when intruder was trapped in the bathrooom
  • killer's claim he told Reeva to call police when in fact killer himself never called police after killing Reeva
  • killer's claim he had to sleep on a particular side of the bed because of a shoulder injury
  • killer's claim that he knew Reeva was in love with him and couldn't be happier
  • killer's claim he spoke to Reeva shortly before moving the fans into the bedroom
  • killer's reason for calling property manager instead of police or ambulance service
  • killer's reason for answering call from security and not telling security he shot Reeva
  • killer's reason for going to open front door while leaving Reeva upstairs bleeding
  • killer's claim that Reeva died in his arms 10-15 minutes after he shot her in the head
  • killer's explanation for why this night was different from the dozens of other nights people who shared his bed got up to pee
  • killer's explanation for why he felt trapped in his own bedroom when clearly he had the ability to leave the room
  • killer's reason for why he had the tantrum Reeva referred to in her text message
  • killer's explanation for his order for a stockpile of additional weapons and ammo
  • killer's explanation of event that Reeva referred to on the text message that she was trying to console him about
  • killer's explanation for what Reeva was doing while he was watching *advertiser censored* on his iPad
  • killer's explanation for why he discharged gun in a restaurant and asked friend to take the blame
  • killer's explanation for why he didn't check the bed to make sure it wasn't Reeva in the bathrrom
  • killer's explanation for why he didn't ask the person in the toilet if it was Reeva instead of telling person in the toilet stall to leave his house
  • killer's explanation for the moment he decided to kill the person in the toilet stall
  • killer's explanation for report that he scored in a rugby match after his prosthetics were ripped off by a defender
  • killer's explanation for why he slept with doors to the deck open if he feared intruders
  • killer's explanation for why he saw ladders outside, knew ladders might be able to reach his deck, and yet did nothing to secure the ladders or secure his deck
  • killer's explanation for the alleged times he was victimized by criminals and why he never reported these crimes
  • killer's explanation for why his sister retrieved a watch from the bedroom the morning of the shooting

Yes, if killer can explain all these things and have the judge think he's being truthful, he may not get convicted of premeditated murder and only be convicted of murder.

Yeah I'm not going through all that because it's all been talked about ad nauseum and we can just keep going in circles all day.

But one thing: why would the prosecution ask Oscar about the bruises to Reeva when his own pathologist has already explained them? That's not gonna happen.

I'll try.

1) Batman determined that the shots came first, his determination of that was based on the fact that one of the sections of the door that were removed by OP tore through a bullet hole; but his interpretation is minute and does not take in to consideration other facts.
2) Batman determined that the two actual bat strikes were superficial, not strong enough to bash down the door. The removal of the panels was therefore done by OP, by hand, not using the bat.
3) Batman explained that OP inserted the tip of the bat in to a divot or defect that he had made and pried the slender long piece of panel loose.
4) So you have to understand at this point the OP did not bash in the door with the bat. He struck the door twice leaving superficial damage.
5) Nel asked Batman whether or not the superficial damage was consistent with OP banging on the door to "threaten" Reeva, and he resonded affirmatively, yes.

So at this point you should follow that OP struck the door twice to threaten Reeva. Later he murdered her. Following that he pried the door panels loose with the bat and his hands and tore them out.

Going to the sounds.

1) Remember that the bedroom doors were barged beaten through, barged though as well. You need to look at the photos of the bedroom doors. Reeva was on the inside, OP on the outside. There is even a hole that was made by Reeva firing the air gun at OP as he was trying to get at her when she locked him out of the bedroom, and OPs legs look like they went to war on those bedroom doors.
2) Once OP broke though the bedroom doors Reeva fled to the bathroom and locked herself in the safety of the water closet.
3) There is significant damage inside the bathroom. This is most likely where the first set of "shots" were produced. Bashing all of the bathroom with a bat sounded like gunshots to the neighbors.
4) A great deal of time went by, and Reeva was screaming and OP was yelling and mocking.
5) Then there were the gunshots, the second set of bangs; those ended Reevas life.

It is late for me, perhaps I could have written and explained this better or maybe not, but I hope that you follow.

Best!

:clap::clap: you are doing great job ! I am just trying to justify OPs story but am having difficult time:

1. Some of the bedroom door damage can be prior (we have rental properties and several of them have major damage to the bedroom door especially around the lock -usually by couples who later separated or divorced :) Definitely, damage to the tiles seems to be in excess and probably the results of a significant force
2. Using the theory that the bat banging sounds the same as gun shots has a lot of holes ie it has not been scientifically proven and if proven, it still does not explain whether the shots were first or second.
3. And here the witnesses are coming to play. Can the judge completely discard the testimony of several witnesses hearing clearly a woman scream? If we assume that it was Oscar screaming like a girl, why would he stop the moment he bashed the door with the bat the last time, if that was the moment he finally saw Reeva on the floor - that is the moment for screaming (in my humble opinion) since until that moment he did not have a clue if she had been injured since she "did not even peep" during all the commotion. And then Reeva's defence position with her arms in front of her head when supposedly falling down???

And so on and so on.......I would really like to believe Oscar as I had a lot of respect for his athletic achievements in spite of his disability but things simply do not click together. I am inclined to agree that he got furious about something and went "ballistic". He is fortunate that he can go through fair (I hope) trial compared to Reeva, who does not have any chances any more. My heart goes to her parents.

My comment said nothing about bat or gun sounds, quote: "The screams they heard lasted for nearly 20 minutes, almost without interruption..."

So it is funny that you would reply to that by adding your opinion that there were definitely gunshots at 3:00 and definitely bat strikes at 3:17.

The screaming did not stop until 3:17. The screaming stopped when Reeva died. The gunshots were at 3:17. Unless of course one believes that Oscar had a good long almost 20 minute screaming session with himself before he finally stopped to call anyone on the phone. :facepalm:

I don't see what's funny about that. What else could it be?

• Man and woman arguing,
  • Bangs
  • Woman screaming,
  • Bangs
  • Silence

• 3 shots hit Reeva,
  • Cricket bat hit door,

• blood on duvet
  • broken bedroom door
  • dent on tub
  • blood on watches

Excellent post! I admire your diligence. I agree that these are the types of questions we would all like to ask of Oscar and I am sure others will come up with even more.

However, I did not see anything about the fifth phone unless I have missed it.
So I would like to add, "Killer's explanation of to whom he gave the fifth phone, when, why he chose to give it to someone else, why that person did not surrender it to the Prosecution on 14 February, 2013 and they did not receive it until later."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BUKANAS